Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode was so loving good lol. Intensely quotable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
this show is on track to be my favourite in years right now, depending on how the season ends up.

this is the first week where i've been as interested in the outside world stuff as the inside, and it's because they are now starting to be more relevant to each other. just a case of a slow start on the outside, but it's all working now.

i'm a bit wary of the introduction of a senator family, but the show has barely put a foot wrong so far and even ones i initially didn't like (ricken) have wound up being good for the show. still doesn't make sense why mark's sister is with him, though.

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe people were right that she was severed for having the baby. The articles were talking about the benefits of doing things severed. Perhaps they are field testing a program where you can be severed for inconvenient things like having a baby or maybe having a surgery and the recovery time. So the pregnant severed lady was fantasizing about what she would name her baby, while the real person already had a name picked out.

Also, I guess it's confirmed that the severing is not a hypnosis or area based thing. It's just a device that turns on the severing.

yeah seeing Dylan be switched on/off opens up the possibility that anyone can be severed at any time or place on the show now. that's what i suspected because it's the logical place for the show to go. i couldn't tell what the importance was of the card Dylan stole from O&D was, did anyone have a guess?

we also got an an explanation for Ms Casey's personality in contrast to the others. She's a part-time innie so she either only works part time, or only switches in to her severed mode when required. Either way, a lot less time spent developing as a person than MDR and O&D.

at the end - seems like they were building a door with clearance so nobody can get in or out of MDR except with a card. it's strange to me they didn't have this installed since the very beginning, since Lumen is 100% about control in every other aspect, but that's fine. now they'll need to find a way to get a card, or another way out.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 18, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the outie stuff hadn't been grabbing me but Milchick having Dylan activated in the closet and the possible ramifications of innie Dylan meeting outie Dylan's son is probably my favorite scene in the show so far

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Aye Doc posted:

the outie stuff hadn't been grabbing me but Milchick having Dylan activated in the closet and the possible ramifications of innie Dylan meeting outie Dylan's son is probably my favorite scene in the show so far

"END IT" and the switch flip was absolutely jaw dropping

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

The card Dylan swiped was another blue vs. green thing, which we previously saw on the painting depicting the battle between Macrodata and Optics. Or it could be a coincidence.

It's curious that Milchick was so keen to get it back, maybe there are objects that can pass through the code detectors? I'd need to go back and give it another look, but when Mark almost hit Helly in the parking lot, didn't she have the flowers she got from Milchick on the severed floor?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Spraynard Kruger posted:

It's curious that Milchick was so keen to get it back, maybe there are objects that can pass through the code detectors? I'd need to go back and give it another look, but when Mark almost hit Helly in the parking lot, didn't she have the flowers she got from Milchick on the severed floor?

Helly recieved those flowers from Milchick when she returned from the severed floor.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nice touch that senator was the former mayor of the small town of Wileston, i wonder how many other company towns there are named after kier's values

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In regards to Dylan stuff, it does seem that based on their reactions/fears, it seems like the code detector CAN be beaten with images/symbols after all, or at least they think it can given they took the pretty wild action of "activating" him outside of the building.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

In regards to Dylan stuff, it does seem that based on their reactions/fears, it seems like the code detector CAN be beaten with images/symbols after all, or at least they think it can given they took the pretty wild action of "activating" him outside of the building.

Yeah this was a great scene that told a lot without explicitly laying it all out.

They looked like those warnings you see on airplanes about what to do/not to do. Also, O&D's comments about making 'aggressive' stuff like hatchets. WTF is goin onnnnn

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
dylan's been my least favourite of the four MDR people, but he was good this week. the home awakening bit was good and i liked how they cut it into the episode so abruptly to get the feeling across, and his conversation with helly was actually funny this week, zach cherry's acting in that scene was good.

quite a few funny bits in this episode. i like that they've been reserved with the comedy despite having a lot of comedic talent involved.

before this episode i thought of dylan as the most indoctrinated out of the four because he was superficially rebellious in how he spoke but he had totally internalised the value system and prejudice of Lumen regardless. him taking the card from O&D is a level of disobedience i didn't expect from him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've liked Dylan because he's that kind of guy who is overly confident in himself in a funny way. He's been talking up his outie as a badass, but he's just some guy with a brown closet and a kid. It's going to be crazy to see what he talks about the next day at work.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/AppleTVPlus/status/1504572993048965120
I can't wait to hear people's impressions of whatever is in this book.

edit:
Just started to read a few pages. The book quickly establishes at least one way Lumon recruits and gives the reader an idea how much Lumon employees make.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 18, 2022

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

This show is great so far, looking forward to continuing to read people's impressions of what the hell could be going on.

What are peoples' thoughts on Cobell? She seems very apprehensive about the higher ups finding out about the weirdness that has begun to occur.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just finished the free book. It is a quick read. It explains something big.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I don't suppose it's available on a service/store/whatever that doesn't require you own Apple hardware?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think Apple Books is only on iOS and macOS devices

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Luckily I happen to have an ipad. It's pretty good and clears up a few questions I had about the process.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Quinton posted:

I don't suppose it's available on a service/store/whatever that doesn't require you own Apple hardware?

AppleTV+ does not require apple hardware. You can just subscribe to it from wherever.

Edit: never mind I’m dumb and didn’t read the previous few posts.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Yeah, I was specifically asking about the free book. Apologies for the ambiguity.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

sure okay posted:

Yeah this was a great scene that told a lot without explicitly laying it all out.

They looked like those warnings you see on airplanes about what to do/not to do. Also, O&D's comments about making 'aggressive' stuff like hatchets. WTF is goin onnnnn

Yeah I thought those were interesting too, like the ones you’d see specifically for what to do after a disaster for survival purposes :tinfoil: what are they planning

Great episode and unsettling as usual! My favorite part though was at the beginning with Irving and Burt at the garden :unsmith:

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 19, 2022

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

drat I want that book but all I have is a old iPod Classic in a drawer

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

GoutPatrol posted:

drat I want that book but all I have is a old iPod Classic in a drawer

https://imgur.com/a/GOiKxEa

Someone made an Imgur album. I don’t think it counts as files because it’s free anyway.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nvm only available on apple books

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I'm guessing the 'music/dance experience' is going to be awkward af

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Dylan left it in the office

Iirc

Oh right yeah the second part of your comment makes sense

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Electric Sugar posted:

Someone made an Imgur album. I don’t think it counts as files because it’s free anyway.

Thanks and also :gonk:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh my god why is she what is she going to do to the baby oh no no

edit: wowza what an episode. and the pamphlet/email are wild supplements too!! I think them accidentally hacking or doing gnarly poo poo is interesting, I was really leaning to their self-editing before.

re: the pamphlet the only stuff I'm getting from the boot-babble is something about a speaker output stream, I haven't remarked the computers making any noise so wondering if there's some inaudible-frequency psyop going on there.

Is Dylan going to remember being home and having a kid, I feel like they just made themselves another heretic.

I was also hoping Mark would go into Break Room and nail the apology first try, but the red knuckles will be a good reveal.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 19, 2022

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

There's gotta be some fun hidden easter eggs in this book, but right off the bat I'm disappointed they haven't forked over the $5k that GoDaddy wants for topekastar.com.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Raspberry Bang posted:

New theory

Lumen is creating severed soldiers. Killing machines without the ptsd.
That’s already pretty much the plot of another show on Amazon Prime, so I doubt it:

Spoilers, obviously… Homecoming

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Electric Sugar posted:

I don't think it's bombing a competitor like peggy thinks. There's just too many variables and too time sensitive to have a bombing. It's definitely not something that's worked on for weeks.

It's interesting that the paper editor is a Mr. Milchick. Probably a coincidence.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

xerxus posted:

I don't think it's bombing a competitor like peggy thinks. There's just too many variables and too time sensitive to have a bombing. It's definitely not something that's worked on for weeks.

It's interesting that the paper editor is a Mr. Milchick. Probably a coincidence.

Maybe they didn't refine the bombing, they predicted it

or better yet refined it into being out of whole cloth

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

xerxus posted:

I would also expect a news broadcast to report the time an event occurred as the local time at the site of the event. That should mean the file being closed occurred an hour after the bombing since Kansas is an hour behind the East coast.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Electric Sugar posted:

Very cool, thanks.

I don't know if I like the idea of decoding being used to set off bombs. I originally thought that what they were doing was encoding classified information to make impossible for competitors to get to it, but it is probably the reverse - skinner box humans using intuition breaking passwords faster than a computer ever could.

In the end I'm totally fine with the show never telling you exactly what they are doing. I don't think it really matters because the cult aspect is much more interesting to me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you add up all the numbers in Peg's listed phone number, you get the prime number 47 which is XLVII, which is pronounced Eckslivee which isn't far from a kind lizardy way to say severance. On top of that,

quote:

47 is the smallest number with 9 representations as a sum of 3 distinct primes:
47 = 3 + 7 + 37 = 3 + 13 + 31 = 5 + 11 + 31 = 5 + 13 + 29 = 5 + 19 + 23 = 7 + 11 + 29 = 7 + 17 + 23 = 11 + 13 + 23 = 11 + 17 + 19
One 19 I'd ignore, whatever, sometimes nineteen shows up when you're thinking back on your numbers as represented by sums of 3 distinct primes-- but TWO nineteens?! I think we can confirm this show is taking place in the Dark Tower universe, if not, some King world or other.

xerxus posted:

I think the "bomb" could be speculation or word-choice on the part of outtie peg, there. I had to re-read it because I didn't think bomb the first time so much as a chemical explosion, or a device or equipment set to explode, I always think of those iranian centrifuges the government hosed up by making em spin dangerously fast or something. Peg does mention bomb, but it's in such a way that I think there's room for it to be sabotage of extant materials rather than a created or placed explosive device.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://mobile.twitter.com/PieschManworth/status/1471510136095064074

https://mobile.twitter.com/PieschManworth/status/1494127621461917698

We regret to inform you that the show about dystopic working conditions

If it makes you feel better, OP himself says you're free to watch it, just be conscious of the work put into it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PieschManworth/status/1495036133801177092

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
one of my boss does our paychecks late sometimes and it's hella annoying. What are fraturdays?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

one of my boss does our paychecks late sometimes and it's hella annoying. What are fraturdays?

Fridays that become saturdays. I'm guessing they don't finish up on Friday and then they have everyone come in on Saturday to get the shots they need done that week.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh that blows. Is this a non-union show or is this poo poo they can get away with anyway.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Industry term for starting work Friday and not being done until well into Saturday, thereby ruining the entire weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Oh that blows. Is this a non-union show or is this poo poo they can get away with anyway.
I don’t know the answer to this question but the show is produced by Endeavor which is run by Ari Emmanuel who was the inspiration for Jeremy Piven’s character in Entourage, and apparently they were the problem.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 19, 2022