Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Post a screenshot from the character builder screen if you can. You could make some kickass looking heroes in AoW3.

I have Skeletor somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Really? I always felt like you are given such a limited range of choices, especially as far as clothing goes, that it's hard not to have your heroes look rather same-y. The fact that you can't have your halfling archdruid have a big bushy beard and he has to have curated little moustaches is downright insulting.

I'll redownload the game and snap a pic of Okkra anyway when I can.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 28, 2022

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

paradoxGentleman posted:

Really? I always felt like you are given such a limited range of choices, especially as far as clothing goes, that it's hard not to have your heroes look rather same-y.
The key is to gently caress around with poses and headgear on people they don't expect you to use those poses or headgear on.

And that's a good goblin.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/ianlaser/status/1498541487973228544?t=NGqukA2EP4Frc7H0Os7iWA&s=19

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

I remember a lot of crying about this version of Age of Wonders as they did away with the Gygax rear end "every race has a alignment they can't deviate from" so you could make holy crusader Goblins and other such un-traditional combinations as well as reframe the Goblins in the canon story to be more victims of circumstance rather than inherently evil.

Nerds are so lame.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

SteelMentor posted:

I remember a lot of crying about this version of Age of Wonders as they did away with the Gygax rear end "every race has a alignment they can't deviate from" so you could make holy crusader Goblins and other such un-traditional combinations as well as reframe the Goblins in the canon story to be more victims of circumstance rather than inherently evil.

Nerds are so lame.

I was the crusader for making the whole map swampland. A bog in every town and a marsh in every village

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

SteelMentor posted:

Nerds are so lame.

Now I wanna sculpt a troupe of lawful good goblins keeping their cave systems safe from marauding adventurers.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Do they look like duck goblins?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Beffer posted:

Do they look like duck goblins?

Ducklins?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
They sound foul.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
thanks for keepin it real in the goblin thread gang, getting me through a tough time at work today :C

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

My new character in my DnD game is a goblin sorceror named Zamp

Her goblin tribe didnt understand her powers so She was basically used as a living weapon for most of her life. Kept in an iron box only to be unleashed on the enemy.

One day she got out and burned her tribe to the ground. She is now much happier rolling around with some adventurers

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My Pathfinder group has been playing the Skull & Shackles pirate-themed adventure path for the last couple years, and my character is the ship's captain, a peg-legged oversized goblin brawler named Gorrish Crotchkicker, who specializes in improvised weapons. So I've been rolling around the seas beating the crap out of enemies with belaying pins, oars, rope, beer mugs, candelabras, fence posts, and whatever else I can get my hands on.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
How do y'all feel about orcs and goblins by different names in sci-fi/sci-fantasy settings? In my story I've got a race of engineered humanoids referred to as GRNSK (or "Grensk" as they were colloquially referred) that used to be intelligent, nigh-emotionless servants distinguished from normal humans by their greater height, exaggerated proportions, and the vibrant green skin color for which they were named. They were created specifically to replace sentient robots that had rebelled and started their own state, but after the company that created the Grensk was shut down and its owners held accountable for nearly recreating the circumstances of the aforementioned android rebellion, the robust and highly modifiable GRNSK genetic template was stolen by an opposing faction of humans to be turned into a variety of super-soldiers.

The project failed, however. The first attempt to produce a self-replicating biological factory -- an enormous womb-creature called a Motherpod -- ended up creating two specific sub-varieties of Grensk; the massive and muscular Grunzen and the diminutive Zwerg.

Despite their brutish appearance, the Grunzen inherited the pacifistic tendencies of their kin, and turned out calm, intelligent, and amiable, but with single-minded work ethics and an aversion to confrontation. Their immense strength and rapid healing made them an ideal workforce, perfect for building, but their timidity kept them from being the warriors they were intended to be.

The Zwerg, however, are stunted Grensk, inheriting the more human appearances of their progenitors, but with stunted proportions. Surprisingly strong and resilient despite their height, the Zwerg tended to be more forthright and assertive than their larger brethren, and more often than not provided direction when groups couldn't come to a compromise, though they didn't lead. These new Grensk remembered their ancestors' origin and believed centralized leadership would merely replicate that -- a hand holding a whip was still a hand holding a whip regardless of that hand's skin color.

The ones who remade the Grensk were not pleased with the direction their fledgling society had taken, and created new Motherpods designed to forge new varieties of Grensk to take control: the Stier, the Schwein, and the Schackal.

The Stier are more bestial than the other breeds of Grensk, walking on their knuckles and protected by thick, ridged, bony hides. The Stier act as bloodhounds for the Schackal, and as mounts for the Zwerg that serve them by turning their backs on their brethren.

The Schwein are the enforcers for the Schackal, oafish and piglike, with jutting tusks and wide snouts perfectly suited to sniffing down "criminals". The Schwein are trained from the emergence to obey their superiors and to maintain order by any means necessary, and in return they live in comparative luxury and leisure.

The Schackal were the most "successful" of the attempts to make weaponized Grensk; nine feet tall, wiry and muscular, but hunched over almost double with grotesque features, the Grensk were the most notably altered of their kin. With bulging eyes capable of looking about independently like a chameleon, flappy ears, rounded peglike teeth, and six wickedly clawed fingers on each overlarge spatulate hand, the Schackal's outer grotesqueness reveals the madness within, for every Schackal is born into a culture of survival of the fittest, and all newborn Schackal forced to fight one another until only the strongest and most cunning are left to feast on the flesh of those proven weaker.

The Schackal quickly overran their creators, and their penchant for violence and utter lack of empathy allowed them to dominate their Grensk brethren, and in time new Motherpods were grown in biovats by enslaved engineers and implanted all over. The pods would then take in nutrients from the soil until they grew large enough to burst free, where the creature would be fed by caretakers until it could begin producing new Grensk, primarily Zwerg and Grunzen as they are the most stable of their kind, with the occasional births of the other breeds as required by their controllers.

Despite the inclinations genetically engineered into each breed, however, the Grensk are no monolith -- there are violent Grunzen, kindly Schackal, anti-establishment Schwein, and so on, with the biggest factor maintaining the stereotypes being the society that was constructed for them.

Anyhoo, this isn't just worldbuilding for the sake of just that, I've got a couple stories written about a colony of Grensk that lived in a sewer system under one of the capital cities in my setting that helped to save the world from a menace they had been forced to aid in creating, and another story in the works involving a Grensk running for a seat in the Interplanetary Senate of the Central Union.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 3, 2022

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Screaming Idiot posted:

How do y'all feel about orcs and goblins by different names in sci-fi/sci-fantasy settings?

This is the only part I read, but it's an interesting question! What is the essence of a goblin? Is it a goblin because it is named a goblin or is it a goblin because of some intrinsic goblin-ness? At what point does it devolve into 19th century "race science"?

Tolkien himself is kind of all over the place on this.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Screaming Idiot posted:

How do y'all feel about orcs and goblins by different names in sci-fi/sci-fantasy settings? In my story I've got a race of engineered humanoids referred to as GRNSK (or "Grensk" as they were colloquially referred) that used to be intelligent, nigh-emotionless servants distinguished from normal humans by their greater height, exaggerated proportions, and the vibrant green skin color for which they were named. They were created specifically to replace sentient robots that had rebelled and started their own state, but after the company that created the Grensk was shut down and its owners held accountable for nearly recreating the circumstances of the aforementioned android rebellion, the robust and highly modifiable GRNSK genetic template was stolen by an opposing faction of humans to be turned into a variety of super-soldiers.

The project failed, however. The first attempt to produce a self-replicating biological factory -- an enormous womb-creature called a Motherpod -- ended up creating two specific sub-varieties of Grensk; the massive and muscular Grunzen and the diminutive Zwerg.

Despite their brutish appearance, the Grunzen inherited the pacifistic tendencies of their kin, and turned out calm, intelligent, and amiable, but with single-minded work ethics and an aversion to confrontation. Their immense strength and rapid healing made them an ideal workforce, perfect for building, but their timidity kept them from being the warriors they were intended to be.

The Zwerg, however, are stunted Grensk, inheriting the more human appearances of their progenitors, but with stunted proportions. Surprisingly strong and resilient despite their height, the Zwerg tended to be more forthright and assertive than their larger brethren, and more often than not provided direction when groups couldn't come to a compromise, though they didn't lead. These new Grensk remembered their ancestors' origin and believed centralized leadership would merely replicate that -- a hand holding a whip was still a hand holding a whip regardless of that hand's skin color.

The ones who remade the Grensk were not pleased with the direction their fledgling society had taken, and created new Motherpods designed to forge new varieties of Grensk to take control: the Stier, the Schwein, and the Schackal.

The Stier are more bestial than the other breeds of Grensk, walking on their knuckles and protected by thick, ridged, bony hides. The Stier act as bloodhounds for the Schackal, and as mounts for the Zwerg that serve them by turning their backs on their brethren.

The Schwein are the enforcers for the Schackal, oafish and piglike, with jutting tusks and wide snouts perfectly suited to sniffing down "criminals". The Schwein are trained from the emergence to obey their superiors and to maintain order by any means necessary, and in return they live in comparative luxury and leisure.

The Schackal were the most "successful" of the attempts to make weaponized Grensk; nine feet tall, wiry and muscular, but hunched over almost double with grotesque features, the Grensk were the most notably altered of their kin. With bulging eyes capable of looking about independently like a chameleon, flappy ears, rounded peglike teeth, and six wickedly clawed fingers on each overlarge spatulate hand, the Schackal's outer grotesqueness reveals the madness within, for every Schackal is born into a culture of survival of the fittest, and all newborn Schackal forced to fight one another until only the strongest and most cunning are left to feast on the flesh of those proven weaker.

The Schackal quickly overran their creators, and their penchant for violence and utter lack of empathy allowed them to dominate their Grensk brethren, and in time new Motherpods were grown in biovats by enslaved engineers and implanted all over. The pods would then take in nutrients from the soil until they grew large enough to burst free, where the creature would be fed by caretakers until it could begin producing new Grensk, primarily Zwerg and Grunzen as they are the most stable of their kind, with the occasional births of the other breeds as required by their controllers.

Despite the inclinations genetically engineered into each breed, however, the Grensk are no monolith -- there are violent Grunzen, kindly Schackal, anti-establishment Schwein, and so on, with the biggest factor maintaining the stereotypes being the society that was constructed for them.

Anyhoo, this isn't just worldbuilding for the sake of just that, I've got a couple stories written about a colony of Grensk that lived in a sewer system under one of the capital cities in my setting that helped to save the world from a menace they had been forced to aid in creating, and another story in the works involving a Grensk running for a seat in the Interplanetary Senate of the Central Union.

The whole "grown in gross pods or pools" aesthetic is one of my favorites for Monstrous Humanoids so that gets a thumbs up from me

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
A goblin is anything that doesn't have to "enter" goblin mode but just exists in goblin mode. If you put something in front of me and say it's a goblin, nine times out of ten I'm not even gonna look up to determine if I agree, I trust you.

drrockso20 posted:

The whole "grown in gross pods or pools" aesthetic is one of my favorites for Monstrous Humanoids so that gets a thumbs up from me

this is also true. One of the best goblins is Styx from the stealth games.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is the only part I read, but it's an interesting question! What is the essence of a goblin? Is it a goblin because it is named a goblin or is it a goblin because of some intrinsic goblin-ness? At what point does it devolve into 19th century "race science"?

Tolkien himself is kind of all over the place on this.

With the descriptions and roles of the Grensk I was trying to invoke some if the same tropes created by Tolkien while trying to subvert them.

Like, the big muscular green guy with fangs and tusks is a friendly, timid mechanic and would burst into tears if you raised a weapon to him, and the shrieking hunchback giant cannibal is having a political debate as slick, well-groomed pigmen are telling a mob of tiny anarchist protesters to "Move along to the designated Free Speech Zone."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Making the law enforcement grensk literal pigs is a nice touch.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
A goblin by any other name would smell as sweet

When I ran DND one of my players was a goblin named Graxel.

Graxel was a necromancer. So he did a whole bunch of evil stuff, and at one point he had a curse put on him for his greed that forced him to eat his level x 10 worth of gp in gold, precious metals or gemstones every day to survive. He could also smell treasure, and he grew a third little green arm out of his chest.

Later he and some friends were invited to the local vampire lord's castle for a very fancy dinner party. Graxel asked for nothing except water, then proceeded to eat the silverware and plate in front of everyone. And made an after-dinner snack of a silver candlestick.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 3, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Screaming Idiot posted:

*sapient

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Wyrmsmoke Mountains shook with the thunder of ten thousand screaming hobgoblin soldiers. From the phalanx emerged a single champion. One by one the tribes fell silent as the warlord rose up, blue scales gleaming along his shoulders, horns swept back from his head. A hundred bright yellow banners stood beneath him, each marked with a great red hand. He stood upon a precipice and raised his arms. “I am Azarr Kul, Son of the Dragon!” the warlord bellowed.

“Hear me! Tomorrow we march to war!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XCdrtJJJM0

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Splicer posted:

*sapient

No, I specifically meant sentient. The original Grensk lacked full awareness and were lobotomized fleshy automata. They were created to replace machines that began as sentient and later became sapient through emergent AI, and the creators wished to avoid that as much as possible.

Jinh posted:

A goblin by any other name would smell as sweet

When I ran DND one of my players was a goblin named Graxel.

Graxel was a necromancer. So he did a whole bunch of evil stuff, and at one point he had a curse put on him for his greed that forced him to eat his level x 10 worth of gp in gold, precious metals or gemstones every day to survive. He could also smell treasure, and he grew a third little green arm out of his chest.

Later he and some friends were invited to the local vampire lord's castle for a very fancy dinner party. Graxel asked for nothing except water, then proceeded to eat the silverware and plate in front of everyone. And made an after-dinner snack of a silver candlestick.

I love this, this is a literal example of goblin mode.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Making the law enforcement grensk literal pigs is a nice touch.

I was afraid of making it too literal, but some metaphors work better as blunt-force objects.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 3, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Screaming Idiot posted:

No, I specifically meant sentient. The original Grensk lacked full awareness and were lobotomized fleshy automata. They were created to replace machines that began as sentient and later became sapient through emergent AI, and the creators wished to avoid that as much as possible.
More like Scrambling Idiot.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
watts should write about goblins

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

This reminds me of the time I ended up inheriting "traitor" in Betrayal at Baldur's Gate (poo poo game, you should play it) and we got a scenario with Glurk, the Goblin Warlord, conquering Baldur's Gate. I played him with an ABSOLUTELY MANIC HIGH PITCHED VOICE, LIKE IF COBRA COMMANDER WAS A CHILD YOU GAVE A BUNCH OF CANDY TO!!!!

He was also incredibly profane, leading to the catchphrase (said after half of every move I made when I roleplayed commanding my armies) "I'M MOTHERFUCKIN' GLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURK!!!!"

He died at the cusp of victory thanks to the timely intervention of a literal war-submarine the PCs inherited, and he died shivering and looking the party dead in the eyes, "Never forget...I was...motherfuckin' Gluuuurrrrrk..."

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

sasha_d3ath posted:

This reminds me of the time I ended up inheriting "traitor" in Betrayal at Baldur's Gate (poo poo game, you should play it) and we got a scenario with Glurk, the Goblin Warlord, conquering Baldur's Gate. I played him with an ABSOLUTELY MANIC HIGH PITCHED VOICE, LIKE IF COBRA COMMANDER WAS A CHILD YOU GAVE A BUNCH OF CANDY TO!!!!

He was also incredibly profane, leading to the catchphrase (said after half of every move I made when I roleplayed commanding my armies) "I'M MOTHERFUCKIN' GLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURK!!!!"

He died at the cusp of victory thanks to the timely intervention of a literal war-submarine the PCs inherited, and he died shivering and looking the party dead in the eyes, "Never forget...I was...motherfuckin' Gluuuurrrrrk..."

This sounds terrible and beautiful and I wish I had been there for it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

I like how high-tech those gobgunz are.

The Gunge
Aug 20, 2011
good morning goblin fans I have some good goblin content for you.

First I run this Twitter bot that posts pics of gobs every hour: https://twitter.com/goblinbotdotbiz. The art is mostly from MtG cards but lots of other sources as well. Please follow if that's your thing.

Second here's my gob character from an old DnD campaign:

He's a goblin ancestral guardian barbarian who escaped from his army troop after being forced to fight in an arena for his superiors' amusement. Now he's basically an angry nasty little dude who goes on adventures and protects his friends. One time he killed a giant spider. Art on the second picture is from friendly twitter user @ICELEVEL, who you should definitely commission for all your art needs

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Hot take goblin discussion topic:

What is the best goblin design: big nosed goblins, or small nose goblins? I'm not sure, I used to really prefer big nosed goblins, but I can kinda see the point of small nosed goblin designs too.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I prefer big nosed goblins too, but some folk take them as antisemitic dogwhistles and so I try to keep that in mind. All goblins are great, regardless of nose size.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

lilljonas posted:

What is the best goblin design: big nosed goblins, or small nose goblins? I'm not sure, I used to really prefer big nosed goblins, but I can kinda see the point of small nosed goblin designs too.

hm tough to say, when a gob has like no nose at all like those sneezing monkeys that is very good and goblin to me, but big noses are also good and goblin, tbh i think this is a case where it's good that goblins can be many things

e: goblins in the news https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/mar/14/slobbing-out-and-giving-up-why-are-so-many-people-going-goblin-mode

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

lilljonas posted:

Each expansion of Magic:The Gathering has a concept art guide for every new plane. If the plane is set to have goblins, those goblins have a very unique take on how they look.

My favorite is from Zendikar, a plane where the land is very chaotic that it sometimes wants to move around, disappear, or sometimes wants to kill you. That reason is why all the goblins have very large ears, intuition, and are used as guides. Read the flavor text of the card (at the bottom of the card in italics) because MTG developers love adding jokes to goblin cards.

I like the last one just because of the goblin in the background to the right showing that emotion of, "Oh no, Grimsnaw is doing it again".

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 18, 2022

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
"Grimsnaw, it's just a pinata, dude!"

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

It always seems when people make a goblin that doesnt have the big nose they go the opposite way in design, big round as a dishplate head, big round eyes, no chin, cute little nose.
They try to make them cute.

I like my goblins angular and ugly.

Long Pointed nose and chin, like they could use thier face as a weapon. narrowed eyes like hes hiding what hes lookin at.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
What if they are made of candy and fight on cakes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
All gobs are valid and good, especially cake riot gobs