Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wow, you can explore the kitchens where the slaves make all the food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

chaleski posted:

Rowling isn't actually involved in the creation of the game and I vaguely remember the devs being against her bullshit so maybe just maybe the narrative won't be terrible (probably not though). I'll probably check the game out second hand so Rowling doesn't get any more of my money :shrug:

The lead dev quit because he turned out to be a Gamergate sex creep and it became public news. He also claimed that WB was well aware of his views long before it became news.

It's absolutely going to be poo poo and anything that pushes back against Rowling will be there by dint of great secretive dev effort and not oked by WB

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

stev posted:

If I was Voldemort I would simply apparate next to Harry while he was on his annual scheduled visit to Diagon Alley and use my instant death stick to instantly cause death at him.

In the books, Harry doesn't go to Diagon Alley before 5th year so the only opportunity is before 6th year when he has security, but gives them the slip to tail Malfoy.

Voldemort wants to act behind the scenes and in secret and blah blah blah even when it's known he's back. On the other hand, with the rumor flying around that Harry is "The Chosen One" killing him would probably crumple most resistance left or make Dumbledore actually go insane with rage and kill every death eater, which would have been much cooler imo. There is also the fact that Voldemort could potentially destroy the piece of his own soul attached to Harry's, whether or not he kills Harry*, and end up severely weakened, surrounded by enemies, but he doesn't know that.

*Harry lived due to the Elder Wand being on his side or a combination of that and Voldemort refusing to quit hitting himself.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Wow, you can explore the kitchens where the slaves make all the food.

We, the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Trustees, prefer the politically correct term unpaid "volunteers"

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'll still probably buy it.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Cranappleberry posted:

In the books, Harry doesn't go to Diagon Alley before 5th year so the only opportunity is before 6th year when he has security, but gives them the slip to tail Malfoy.

He visited in the very first Book with Hagrid. It's his first instruction to the wide wizard world. Are you confusing it with the Ministry?

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

I Love Loosies posted:

He visited in the very first Book with Hagrid.

I want to say book 4 is the only one without Harry visiting Diagon Alley. From memory:

Book 1: First visit with Hagrid
Book 2: Visits with Weasleys, also accidentally goes to Knockturn Alley, Lucius Malfoy sneaks Voldemort's Diary into one of Ginny's books
Book 3: Spends most of the summer there after inflating his aunt and fleeing, staying in the Leaky Cauldron and becoming a regular at the shops in Diagon Alley
Book 4: Doesn't go, I think Molly gets the books for him due to Quidditch world cup
Book 5: Actually can't remember if he goes
Book 6: Goes but half the shops are closed, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes scene
Book 7: Robs the bank

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

I Love Loosies posted:

He visited in the very first Book with Hagrid. It's his first instruction to the wide wizard world. Are you confusing it with the Ministry?

Voldemort can't apparate and is in a weakened state for all of the books before the end of the 4th.

He could target Harry through Quirrel but there goes him getting his body back. He could use a minion but he doesn't have many followers besides Quirrel and then Pettigrew, neither of which are competent and they're the ONLY humans helping him.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I Love Loosies posted:

The syntax is a little confusing, I think they mean that the pre-Hogwarts bit of book five was the only time Harry didn't make the Diagon Alley shopping trip, specifically because of the risk of Voldemort just ganking him

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cranappleberry posted:

Voldemort can't apparate and is in a weakened state for all of the books before the end of the 4th.

He could target Harry through Quirrel but there goes him getting his body back. He could use a minion but he doesn't have many followers besides Quirrel and then Pettigrew, neither of which are competent and they're the ONLY humans helping him.

Have Quirrel reveal himself to Lucius and give him a direct order to kill Harry at the earliest opportunity. In public if needed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think he mainly doesn't go in five due to the kangaroo court prosecuted by the government he supports with lethal force for the rest of his life

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Jazerus posted:

official HP stuff continuing to fall into the most tired fanfiction tropes imaginable will never not be funny

I mean if I was gonna be interested in motherfucking Harry Potter in 2022 it's probably best to appeal to my most base fandom instincts. MC's mysterious past is he's a time traveling Harry who overshot his jump when trying to go back to the start of the first book in order to do the series CORRECTLY.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the main character is actually sasuke uchiha

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jazerus posted:

the main character is actually sasuke uchiha

Finally, we can learn the friendship spell

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Cranappleberry posted:

He actually does target through Quirrel in that Qidditch Match. I guess at that point he just wanted revenge and he could have got is body back with anyone who was an enemy of his. But of course he was a such a huge drama queen. Also i think there was something about the protective Magic Harry got from his mom but i don't remember if that actually lead to anything.

I Love Loosies fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 18, 2022

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Wish more devs would try the "going into a magical school" genre so we don't have to give any more money to Rowling and co. There's Spellcaster University and Academagia and that's about it.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

stev posted:

Have Quirrel reveal himself to Lucius and give him a direct order to kill Harry at the earliest opportunity. In public if needed.

He doesn't trust Lucius, thinking he may have gone over to the other side. His issue is he doesn't really trust anyone, especially when he can't defend himself easily. The dude didn't even tell Lucius, his top lieutenant that the diary was hugely important, nevermind that it was a phylactery, just that it would open the Chamber of Secrets.

I Love Loosies posted:

He actually does target through Quirrel in that Qidditch Match. I guess at that point he just wanted revenge and he could have got is body back with anyone who was an enemy of his. But of course he was a such he was a huge drama queen. Also i think there was something about the protective Magic Harry got from his mom but i don't remember if that actually lead to anything.

This is surreptitious even if it was out in the open because everyone is focused on the game/Harry (though you think someone might have noticed him chanting). It doesn't come up again except that Dumbledore goes to the next match to try to find who it was that did it and/or prevent it from happening again.

Snape started the counter curse because he recognized the spell but this required him to maintain eye contact with Harry's broom so he couldn't turn around and see it was Quirrel. Hermione knocked Quirrel over as she went to set fire to Snape's robes, assuming he was the culprit. Snape himself thought Quirrel wanted the stone out of greed, not for Voldemort.

Voldemort, nor anyone/thing he possessed could touch Harry without experiencing incredible pain. It's possible that any spells that would hurt Harry would also rebound as the killing curse had. He used Harry's blood in the spell to return himself to a body in order to overcome that barrier.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Your right I forgot that the protective spell is so powerful Voldemort couldn't even touch Harry. He could have still just let Barty Crouch, easily the most competent Death Eater in the whole series, kill Harry in the fourth year.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I thought Voldemort's main thing there was being a drama queen who insisted on killing Harry himself?

Like, he's objectively better off if Jason Isaacs just shoots Harry in movie 2. He's got plenty of other enemies for the rez ritual.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think book 4 he stops the Death Eaters from dealing with Harry easily so he can get a dramatic kill in.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Brofessor Slayton posted:

I want to say book 4 is the only one without Harry visiting Diagon Alley. From memory:

Book 1: First visit with Hagrid
Book 2: Visits with Weasleys, also accidentally goes to Knockturn Alley, Lucius Malfoy sneaks Voldemort's Diary into one of Ginny's books
Book 3: Spends most of the summer there after inflating his aunt and fleeing, staying in the Leaky Cauldron and becoming a regular at the shops in Diagon Alley
Book 4: Doesn't go, I think Molly gets the books for him due to Quidditch world cup
Book 5: Actually can't remember if he goes
Book 6: Goes but half the shops are closed, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes scene
Book 7: Robs the bank

He doesn't go in 5, he's stuck at Grimmauld Place until school starts.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

bobjr posted:

I think book 4 he stops the Death Eaters from dealing with Harry easily so he can get a dramatic kill in.

Theatrics is a major part yes but also optics. People would talk behind his back that he is a loser who had to let someone else kill a teenage boy

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

I Love Loosies posted:

Theatrics is a major part yes but also optics. People would talk behind his back that he is a loser who had to let someone else kill a teenage boy

Instead he gets his rear end handed to him by a teenage boy.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

I Love Loosies posted:

Also he takes the defeats personally and wants/needs revenge and to prove himself. Plus he couldn't regenerate even more powerful and with a leg up on his forever enemy. In a rare show of humility he admits he (and others) has made mistakes "where Harry Potter is concerned"

If Barty Crouch killed Harry then, yea, Voldemort's ego takes a hit.

Most of Voldemort's and Rowling's plans through him had a ton of holes and were far too complex but that is evil overlords for yah.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Why didn’t Voldy just stab Harry after tying him up?

Or just smother him with a pillow and then tell everyone that he totally magicked him to death?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Or just smother him with a pillow and then tell everyone that he totally magicked him to death?

Because Voldemort is both a Wizard AND a fascist, and the middle of that Venn diagram is a double-dose of being performatively stupid

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

I Love Loosies posted:

What if he killed those people to. Or is that suddenly a bridge too far for the guy whose goon squad call themselves death eaters.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Imagine if the Death Eaters had gone with vulture imagery.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm watching the Shrieking Shack do a playthrough on the OOTP PS2 game and I have to say that I'll always have a soft spot for the school setting. Yeah I know bad nazi house and all, but I always found Hogwarts itself to be really cool. I really wanted to read an IRL version of Hogwarts: A History as a kid. (I don't want to read it now. :smith:) Exploring a centuries old castle and wondering what things the stone walls have seen over the years. I would even ask the ghosts what Hogwarts was like in their day. Sadly when the books started to become JK's political commentary I dipped, but the recent video game caught my attention.

Why does JK Rowling have to be terrible?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

She got very, very rich.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the reason the books set up interesting cultural problems that are valid commentary on society, but then barely address them with a resolution of "don't make any real changes", is that they were set up when the author was struggling to make ends meet as a single parent and resolved when she was buying the mansion next door to hers so she could build her kids a bigger treehouse.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Sydin posted:

He doesn't go in 5, he's stuck at Grimmauld Place until school starts.

Genuinely glad I'm now at the stage of forgetting some of these books.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Daniel Radcliffe 'Not Interested' In Returning as Harry Potter Role for Cursed Child

lol

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Missed opportunity to set the game in the future after the statute of secrecy has been lifted. That way we could have another shadowrun game.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

What if Tom Felton played Harry Potter

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Violet_Sky posted:

I'm watching the Shrieking Shack do a playthrough on the OOTP PS2 game and I have to say that I'll always have a soft spot for the school setting. Yeah I know bad nazi house and all, but I always found Hogwarts itself to be really cool. I really wanted to read an IRL version of Hogwarts: A History as a kid. (I don't want to read it now. :smith:) Exploring a centuries old castle and wondering what things the stone walls have seen over the years. I would even ask the ghosts what Hogwarts was like in their day. Sadly when the books started to become JK's political commentary I dipped, but the recent video game caught my attention.

The shriekcast playthrough of OOTP is hilarious at least.

I have a cousin-in-law who is basically my baby brother sitting in a van near the russian-kazakh border rn loving off to our house to avoid conscription, and he's listening to the podcast on my recommendation. Idk if I should feel pride or shame.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 19, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

What if Tom Felton played Harry Potter

First they got to find him in those woods.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

lmao

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Violet_Sky posted:

I'm watching the Shrieking Shack do a playthrough on the OOTP PS2 game and I have to say that I'll always have a soft spot for the school setting.
Yeah One of the things that made the Harry Potter games stand out from the other Lego games was that the school setting was fun to run around in.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
The game should be like Bully (owns) but the HP setting.

Regalingualius posted:

Voldemort believes that magic is the ultimate special power and has to be used for everything. This, as opposed to love being the ultimate special power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

It is extremely funny that the entire main cast has just completely disavowed JK's bullshit and also moved on to their own stuff unlike the usual child actor tragedies.