Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

SpikeMcclane posted:

The full story is pretty funny. Basically, just telling certain stores to quit enabling price gouging resellers, a few refusing, and bandai letting them know they really meant it.

Overall, it's a good thing. Bandai is one of the few hobby companies that recognizes that people buying up stock to turn around and price gouge costs them sales in the long run, even if they're selling out stock now. Disposable income is a finite resource and if someone pays double, they may buy half as much or get frustrated and no longer buy anything at all.

Plus, Bandai could be the one price gouging instead of some nobody middleman at an anime con.

Not saying they will, just the history of Japan and re-importation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I really hope that supply from the Japanese sites still goes strong, how else am I supposed to add many items to my already impressive backlog.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Neito posted:

Plus, Bandai could be the one price gouging instead of some nobody middleman at an anime con.

Not saying they will, just the history of Japan and re-importation...

Bandai in 2023: We are releasing the HG of Johnny Ridden’s special Zaku II custom seen in this obscure side-side story; it has a different antenna and if you squint, it looks a little like the popular Efreet model! [$64.99 without shipping, P-Bandai exclusive]

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Puddin posted:

I really hope that supply from the Japanese sites still goes strong, how else am I supposed to add many items to my already impressive backlog.

Bad news already. I'm not seeing any Bandai spirits model kits on Hobbysearch's English site. Hoping it's something that can get sorted out, but it's not the most encouraging sign for availability.

(It's also a pain when looking up model kit manuals that aren't on Dalong.)

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Has anybody ordered from Side Seven Exports? I ordered one of those 1/48 RX-78F00 back in January and there's been no activity since. Besides getting charged.

...Should I contact the owner? I understand it's a one-man operation, so I can give him some leeway. It's only $255 after all, but still

Astoundingly Ugly Baby fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 22, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Has anybody ordered from Side Seven Exports? I ordered one of those 1/48 RX-78F00 back in January and there's been no activity since. Besides getting charged.

...Should I contact the owner? I underhand it's a one-man operation, so I can give him some leeway. It's only $255 after all, but still

I don't think there's anything wrong with contacting the owner, especially not if you keep it polite. That's a decent amount of money, and checking in to see the current status of your order is both reasonable for you and helpful for keeping him informed on the current state of things.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

...Should I contact the owner? I understand it's a one-man operation, so I can give him some leeway. It's only $255 after all, but still

Yeah, he's kinda slow sometimes (and took a while to respond to me but explained that he was moving main jobs or something) but he will respond and make things right. I ordered the Merc/Vayeate kit in..January last year and it shipped in June. Some of that was on Bandai's end of course, but yeah.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It took me almost a year to get my RG Perfectability and I had to email him multiple times for a follow up. The dates always slipped and I tried to justify it as him being a one man shop but...

You'll get your kit eventually, just bug him a few times. I wouldn't recommend him given my experience but others are cool with the slowness of his delivery.

I've had a much better experience with Sam Decal but he has a small window of ordering p bandai stuff and doesn't carry gundam base kits.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

He takes a while. It's one dude making trips to Gundam Base like three times a week.

Even before COVID it took about 4 months for me to get a single SD Gundam.

I can't imagine how many orders he has at the moment, along with stock availability going out the window in Japan ATM.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Puddin posted:

He takes a while. It's one dude making trips to Gundam Base like three times a week.

Even before COVID it took about 4 months for me to get a single SD Gundam.

I can't imagine how many orders he has at the moment, along with stock availability going out the window in Japan ATM.

This is why having a giant backlog is great! I just work my backlog and every now and again I get a surprise shipment notification and it's like Christmas!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Suzaku posted:

This is why having a giant backlog is great! I just work my backlog and every now and again I get a surprise shipment notification and it's like Christmas!

And by the time you work through your backlog and get to your new kit, it's actually Christmas!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m assuming people here have ordered from HLJ before? How much is the shipping for the different tiers and for like 3-4 kits? I’m just wondering if buying multiple kits to ship later could save money vs. buying from American sites.

Edit: I’m in the American Midwest, that might be important for shipping prices.

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 22, 2022

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
I went ahead and bought a pair of Godhand nippers after finding a good deal on eBay, and holy goddamn poo poo the folks in this thread weren't lying, it's night and day compared to the no-name hobby nippers that I've been using. I put together a 30 Minute Sisters and Missions kit that I've set aside until they came in and it took a good half hour off of the building process just from not having to slice and sand poo poo off. I'm still being left with a fair amount of white stress marks, but at least I don't have any sharp plastic nubs. Any good tips on reducing how many stress marks I get?

Also, are there any ways for increasing the longevity of the nippers? They're high quality but I'm still worried about the blades from going dull.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’m assuming people here have ordered from HLJ before? How much is the shipping for the different tiers and for like 3-4 kits? I’m just wondering if buying multiple kits to ship later could save money vs. buying from American sites.

Edit: I’m in the American Midwest, that might be important for shipping prices.

Buy local when you can unless your local shop is gouging you.

I find it works about the same to buy and ship from HLJ vs pick up at local shops in the US except for the least expensive HGs, 30MMs, etc - those are much cheaper to pick up locally when available. Unless you're getting some absolute monster kits, like multiple PGs or the Neo Zeong or something, shipping more at once will lower the per item cost of shipping. You can run into some break points where they have to jump up a box size and that may require some fiddling around with adding and removing items to your shopping cart to determine - I haven't seen anyone put together a list of HLJ box sizes and weights vs shipping costs to help you identify a break point, though.

SetSliRol posted:

I went ahead and bought a pair of Godhand nippers after finding a good deal on eBay, and holy goddamn poo poo the folks in this thread weren't lying, it's night and day compared to the no-name hobby nippers that I've been using. I put together a 30 Minute Sisters and Missions kit that I've set aside until they came in and it took a good half hour off of the building process just from not having to slice and sand poo poo off. I'm still being left with a fair amount of white stress marks, but at least I don't have any sharp plastic nubs. Any good tips on reducing how many stress marks I get?

Also, are there any ways for increasing the longevity of the nippers? They're high quality but I'm still worried about the blades from going dull.

Use some less delicate cutters to chop the part out of the sprue but leave a little bit of the runner attached, then use the God Hands to remove the remaining stub of runner. Less mass flopping around during the cut will mean less stress on the joint when you sever it. To make them last longer be gentle (don't snip them open and shut when they're empty) and avoid cutting through extremely thick joints.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 23, 2022

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

HLJ right now is just in a nice spot because their private warehouse system isn't enforcing the usual 60-day autoship due to the pandemic, so you can order a bunch of stuff and cobble them together into a mega-shipment. In better times it's still a decent system but it really shines when you can leave stuff waiting.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SetSliRol posted:

I'm still being left with a fair amount of white stress marks, but at least I don't have any sharp plastic nubs. Any good tips on reducing how many stress marks I get?

edit: had this open long enough that Midjack gave the advice perfectly. Use your generics for the first cut, clean it up with the godhands, enjoy doing very little work.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

finally getting around to a kitbash project i've wanted to do since i started building gunpla

https://twitter.com/HatsuneZaku/status/1506050945796517889

a friend helped me source a micromachines car for the head that's the right year and model of car, though it's got kinda cartoony micromachine proportions- but i think that's okay. anything nicer seems to need me to 3D print it, which costs more than I'm willing to spend on a tiny car head for my robot.

using a few kits i had built a while back but wasn't really displaying or anything for this, and some spare SDCS hands, so it keeps the overall costs for me down lol. just gotta clean the paint stuff off the leo bits and then i can start doing some plaplate stuff and a little scribing and sanding to get things a little closer to Megas's look. i'm not trying to like 100% replicate it, but, i want to give the feel of the original, like this could be a new design for a reboot or something.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gripweed posted:

Converge figures?

Converge and Artifact are close. They are focused on selling you one each of everything. For wargaming I want a couple dozen GMs and a smattering of GunTanks, GunCannon, and the White Giant itself; and of course an equivalent force of grunt MS for the Zeons.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Converge and Artifact are close. They are focused on selling you one each of everything. For wargaming I want a couple dozen GMs and a smattering of GunTanks, GunCannon, and the White Giant itself; and of course an equivalent force of grunt MS for the Zeons.

There were a few lines of figures that were meant for wargaming. Gundam Collection seems your speed, but it's been out of print for a long while, so the figures cost more than they did back at release, unfortunately.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

SetSliRol posted:

Don't cut clear parts with them, only the standard PS type materials. The PC can be too hard and break your blade.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

SetSliRol posted:

You probably already know this, but use the GH for your second cut. First cut should use no-name nippers on the fat part of the sprue. GH should be shaving the thin sprue off the piece.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

edit: had this open long enough that Midjack gave the advice perfectly. Use your generics for the first cut, clean it up with the godhands, enjoy doing very little work.

This. I taught my son this technique and you can't see any stress marks on his kits. Even the odd tenant nub that couldn't cut down completely is pretty much invisible.

Godhands: Even a five year old can turn out a clean kit.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I was feeling superhype about how clean the cuts my God Hand was making on the HG kit I'm working on now as I plowed through blue, yellow, and red parts, only to recoil in horror at the stress marks on my grey parts. Grey is the harshest mistress. Or maybe it's just me.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I was feeling superhype about how clean the cuts my God Hand was making on the HG kit I'm working on now as I plowed through blue, yellow, and red parts, only to recoil in horror at the stress marks on my grey parts. Grey is the harshest mistress. Or maybe it's just me.

Grey tends to give me the most stress marks in general with my Tamiya nipper, but I also find it's the most forgiving in terms of mark recovery - I can usually get rid of the stress marks on grey parts by scratching them away with my fingernail. In stubborn cases, a standard grey gundam marker covers it up near-perfectly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Zin5ki/status/1506970117766275075?s=20&t=ZFWkP-pYTxUbr1yYdWW-GA

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I loled.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I need to get one of these, I have some kitbash ideas...

https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/1507433601415233542?s=20&t=hmvdXskL-o1wFi27svMxHg

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Managed to snag an HG Nightingale to square off with my RG Hi-Nu and god drat, this thing BIG. It's a good thing I was planning to display it on top of a bookshelf instead of trying to find space for it in a case. Each of the wings has about the volume of a whole ordinary HG kit!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Every second this thing doesn't have a model is agony

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
That reminds me--I would kill for there to be officially licensed kits of Metal Gear TX-55 and Metal Gear D.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My third and fourth dudes:

Just noticing the nub mark on the RX-78 machine gun handle now. Should be easy enough to fix though.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

SpikeMcclane posted:

The full story is pretty funny. Basically, just telling certain stores to quit enabling price gouging resellers, a few refusing, and bandai letting them know they really meant it.

Maybe they should restrict the maximum order per customer at PBUS to something less than five while they're at it. No one needs five of P-Bandai anything.

e: yeah, I get that this is aimed at improving domestic supplies, but I'm pretty tired of PB drops that sell out in seconds.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 27, 2022

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
gently caress me, have a thing I guess:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 27, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Got a hold of the Virtue and holy gently caress this box is huge (or rather, more long than I was expecting)

It looks like the Nadleeh looks really awesome too, but I absolutely do not have the money to be throwing it on a second Virtue, so it'll be in big boy form forever

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MechaX posted:

Got a hold of the Virtue and holy gently caress this box is huge (or rather, more long than I was expecting)

It looks like the Nadleeh looks really awesome too, but I absolutely do not have the money to be throwing it on a second Virtue, so it'll be in big boy form forever

I'm surprised they didn't do an effects part set so you can display it as Nadleeh purging the Virtue armor

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I'm surprised they didn't do an effects part set so you can display it as Nadleeh purging the Virtue armor

I don't know who is making it, but I'm probably going to buy this for mine:

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/mg-virtue-display-stand

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

gently caress me, have a thing I guess:

Good to see you posting! :cheerdoge:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I bought a Reginlaze Julia kit from a goon and I figured I'd post it since it's pretty cool.

Posing it seems impossible though.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

wdarkk posted:

I bought a Reginlaze Julia kit from a goon and I figured I'd post it since it's pretty cool.

Posing it seems impossible though.

That is very cool! I've had pretty bad luck with posing basically every IBO model I've put together. The internal structures are so skinny (especially the tiny waist) that I basically have to just find a position that they want to flop in and never touch them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Just Dan Again posted:

That is very cool! I've had pretty bad luck with posing basically every IBO model I've put together. The internal structures are so skinny (especially the tiny waist) that I basically have to just find a position that they want to flop in and never touch them again.

Those huge-rear end legs aren't helping that's for sure.