Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

inventory, mainly

if you exclusively frame the situation in terms of “how much is your time worth?” then dealerships add value

which, to be fair, is a serious consideration for a ton of buyers. Not everybody can sit back/take their sweet time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah note that i'm not saying dealers are good or whatever but traditionally it's been test drives and inventory and that has at least some value

never understood people who don't do extensive test drives

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

never understood people who don't do extensive test drives

I did that 10 years ago with an E36 and then learned to drive standard on it and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I got the car extensively looked at tho

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can’t really do “extensive” test drives at dealers. The best one I’ve ever had was at Tesla where they just tossed me the key and told me to get lost for half an hour.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Tiny Timbs posted:

You can’t really do “extensive” test drives at dealers. The best one I’ve ever had was at Tesla where they just tossed me the key and told me to get lost for half an hour.

Maybe not right now but one or two day test drives used to be a thing until car prices went insane.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
It's just under a month since I brought the e-tron home and we finally got an electrician appointment today to install a L2 charger (and check our wiring to make sure the issue causing our kitchen lights to blink when the trickle charger was plugged in wasn't a huge problem - it wasn't, just a set of dimmer switches that needed to be swapped out). Between finally being able to charge at home and the weather starting to warm up so the summer tires don't turn the car into a deathtrap, I'm looking forward to actually being able to start using it as a daily driver.

Total cost on the installation of the 220v outlet was $650. Adding in the $460 we paid for the cheapest 40A Grizzl-e charger on Amazon it puts our total install cost at $1,100, which seems decent. This was for a low complexity installation - the electrician we used said our install was pretty straightforward since we had panel space for the 50A circuit and a drop ceiling in the basement to run the wiring. When we had solar panels put on our roof I asked the solar company about having them install the NEMA 14-50 plug and they wanted to charge us an extra $2,000 just for the outlet, so glad we shopped around.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tiny Timbs posted:

Lol I test drove an S100D and the guy went with me, and kept telling me not to do benign stuff like turn on cruise control. It was pretty lovely. Every other interaction I’ve had with the (same) Tesla dealer/store has been pretty good to excellent, but they have a serious consistency problem.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Not bad at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Lol I test drove an S100D and the guy went with me, and kept telling me not to do benign stuff like turn on cruise control. It was pretty lovely. Every other interaction I’ve had with the (same) Tesla dealer/store has been pretty good to excellent, but they have a serious consistency problem.

haha it's just like dealers

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I found the exact EV6 I want about a two-hour drive away, but of course they're doing a +$5000 "market adjustment" on it. And given scummy dealer tactics, I'd probably end up driving all the way there and then told it's even more.

I told the dealer if they'll go down to MSRP I'll come buy it the same day. Not holding my breath. There are like three of these things in the entire southeast.

Picking up a RWD Mach-E around here would be trivial (and I may go test-drive one today just to see how I like it), but it sucks that this is where the market is right now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

haha it's just like dealers

I’ll take inconsistent competency over outright malicious behavior any day. Tesla didn’t “lose” my drivers license and try to convince me that a 72mo loan at 11.9% was a good idea while they sent someone to “find” it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

WhiteHowler posted:

I found the exact EV6 I want about a two-hour drive away, but of course they're doing a +$5000 "market adjustment" on it. And given scummy dealer tactics, I'd probably end up driving all the way there and then told it's even more.

I told the dealer if they'll go down to MSRP I'll come buy it the same day. Not holding my breath. There are like three of these things in the entire southeast.

Picking up a RWD Mach-E around here would be trivial (and I may go test-drive one today just to see how I like it), but it sucks that this is where the market is right now.

You can hunt farther than that and pay for delivery cheaper than any lovely markup. Just need to have test driven somewhere first.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Chin Strap posted:

You can hunt farther than that and pay for delivery cheaper than any lovely markup. Just need to have test driven somewhere first.

That's not a terrible idea. The local Kia dealer here (which is also scummy) does have a RWD EV6. Maybe I'll see if I can test drive there and then see what I can get from further out.

How much does to-home car delivery cost these days, anyway? I haven't bought a car since 2010, and that was new off-the-lot from my local Ford dealer, which is maybe one of the last remaining honest(-ish) dealers in the country.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I’ll take inconsistent competency over outright malicious behavior any day. Tesla didn’t “lose” my drivers license and try to convince me that a 72mo loan at 11.9% was a good idea while they sent someone to “find” it.

Holy poo poo, this. A Kia dealership I was at before the pandemic kept “looking for my keys” until I pulled out my phone and said I was reporting the car stolen. The sales manager who was, at the time, continuing to push the hard sale (on a new model year of the car I already had, for a ~40% higher payment) pulled the keys out of his pocket and stomped off like a child.

Tesla looked at my license, saw that my info matched what I had given them, then handed me a keycard and said “see you tomorrow morning.”

The first method must work more often than not, or they wouldn’t bother trying it, but who the gently caress puts up with that poo poo anymore?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My Ford dealer is luckily a no haggle, no dealer fees, no stupid extras place. I gave them what I want for an F-150, they told me their price (thousands under MSRP not including some ford incentives too), and that's what I got when I picked it up. No negotiations, no stress. Their service department has been really good too.

But that was a year ago. I just checked their website now and while their pricing on most models (including F-150) is still under MSRP it's only $500 under.

But the single MachE they list in stock is priced $5000 over MSRP. It's not hidden though and I assume they still don't add any extra fees. If someone was willing to come to Florida for a car I know the unicorn dealer to go to.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wonder if dealerships are pricing EVs over MSRP because they are worried they will get less service business from them (obvious thought I know)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I feel quite lucky that the Polestar 2 ended up being my standout favorite anyways, because the other reason I pulled the trigger on one was Polestar's no price haggling and no dealer bullshit. Yea I'll have to interact briefly with a (well liked) local Volvo place for service and possibly payment (next month? ship it might be on just went through the Panama Canal :dance:), but there's not much they can do to jerk me around.

Relatedly: any of y'all who buy cars with "cash" - I was told personal check is fine, which seems real weird to me given how much money's involved. That seem legit? They really don't need a certified/cashier's check? I guess it's not like they can't just report the VIN/plates stolen if somebody tries to bounce a check & disappear :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

priznat posted:

I wonder if dealerships are pricing EVs over MSRP because they are worried they will get less service business from them (obvious thought I know)

you're ascribing a lot of strategy to dealers that just does not exist

dealers are pricing over MSRP for (thing X) because people will pay over MSRP for (thing x)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

cruft posted:

There are some people (like me) for whom "negotiating" is an extremely stressful experience, after which you will never, ever, feel like you did well. Honestly, I would prefer to just be thrown on the floor and kicked repeatedly.

I don’t have the time or temperament to do it either which is why my car buying strategy is basically this:

Chin Strap posted:

That's why I was happy to get advice from you all about the EV6 that MSRP+TTL was about as good as was reasonable. So I spammed the phrase "I'll buy a GT-Line at MSRP+TTL" to every dealer I could find until one (luckily local but wasn't on Truecar so I hadn't tried them at first) said "Yeah we never do dealer markup crap" and I got it for what I wanted. The only extra line item they threw on was wheel locks but whatever it was like 60 bucks.

It was so much easier to have the price and stay with it though.

I think it’s a good rule of thumb to never walk into a dealer until you’ve communicated via email and agrees on terms. I also make sure to tell them to have paperwork ready when I arrive because I only have an hour, at most, to devote to them.

WhiteHowler posted:

That's not a terrible idea. The local Kia dealer here (which is also scummy) does have a RWD EV6. Maybe I'll see if I can test drive there and then see what I can get from further out.

How much does to-home car delivery cost these days, anyway? I haven't bought a car since 2010, and that was new off-the-lot from my local Ford dealer, which is maybe one of the last remaining honest(-ish) dealers in the country.

I paid a little over a thousand dollars to have an M2 shipped from the dealer in Los Angeles up to Portland.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 18, 2022

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

bird with big dick posted:

During car negotiations if you didn’t stand up and shout gently caress this poo poo and storm out at least once it means you got screwed.

Sadly true. Most of my negotiations are me in the doorway leaving.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Kia dealer did that with me and the Niro EV. Sold me on the car.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

priznat posted:

That's what my dealer told me, that basically they are making nothing on the Mach-E, there is no promotional wiggle room, no service revenue, no upsells, that the $1,500 was to make it worth their time to even bother.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Dealer didn't even give me a time limit on my Ioniq 5 test drive. Just asked when I want to come in, had it charged and ready, took my info, said we can talk when you get back. Way less hassle than I was expecting. Didn't try any bullshit.

Went to the Kia dealership down the street to check out the one EV6 they had and got subjected to what I believe to be a two-man routine where one guy pretended to be surprised and excited to hear about basic features the other guy was describing...

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think it’s a good rule of thumb to never walk into a dealer until you’ve communicated via email and agrees on terms. I also make sure to tell them to have paperwork ready when I arrive because I only have an hour, at most, to devote to them.

Only time I even stepped into a dealership was just to test drive. That dealership wanted 10k over MSRP so I said thanks for the ride and left after that.

Dealership I went with I did everything 100% online and they delivered the car to me even. A+ experience.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you're ascribing a lot of strategy to dealers that just does not exist

dealers are pricing over MSRP for (thing X) because people will pay over MSRP for (thing x)
Yeah, it's not an EV thing.

My sister just bought a Telluride and it was hard to just find one new on the lot and then all that were available had some dealer markup.

At MSRP it costs less than my EV Niro at MSRP before tax rebate, and it's a lot more vehicle. Those batteries are expensive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Porsche says the next gen 718 Cayman/Boxster is coming in 2025 and will be exclusively EV

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Electrician just put in the chargepoint charger so drat I better get an EV now!

Pretty neat, massive armored cable for the 60A hardwire.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

bitprophet posted:

Relatedly: any of y'all who buy cars with "cash" - I was told personal check is fine, which seems real weird to me given how much money's involved. That seem legit? They really don't need a certified/cashier's check? I guess it's not like they can't just report the VIN/plates stolen if somebody tries to bounce a check & disappear :v:

I just did this. The sales guy had to call a manager over who asked me to show him the account balance on my phone so he "knew" the check would clear. Then he signed off on the approval for their internal controls and all was good. Seemed silly but added like 90 seconds to the deal.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Porsche says the next gen 718 Cayman/Boxster is coming in 2025 and will be exclusively EV

Let’s hope they don’t turn it into a 4 door SUV.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Let’s hope they don’t turn it into a 4 door SUV.

lol, I doubt it

they also announced an EV Macan coming first, but I don’t know if they’ll also be sunsetting the ICE model at the same time

911 is getting hybridized

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol, I doubt it

they also announced an EV Macan coming first, but I don’t know if they’ll also be sunsetting the ICE model at the same time

911 is getting hybridized

Everything I've heard is that Porsche is going to continue production of the current-gen Macan, while the next-generation Macan, which will be EV-only, will be sold alongside the current-gen car for some time.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bitprophet posted:

Relatedly: any of y'all who buy cars with "cash" - I was told personal check is fine, which seems real weird to me given how much money's involved. That seem legit?

We paid for our Bolt with a check. They told us they wouldn't start the title transfer until 10 days had passed so they could be sure it had cleared.

There are a lot of advance fee scams that send you a big check and ask you to send some percentage back. Then the check bounces and you're screwed.

But anyway no, this doesn't sound weird at all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Drove Bergen to Oslo yesterday. Had some errands at either end too so wasn't expecting the Model 3 LR to make it all the way without charging (including some margin) since the temps are still a bit low but it easily did.

Trip meter said 484 km at 128 Wh/km (204 Wh/mi), had 80-something km indicated range left. The remaining battery predictor started out quite low, but once it settled in it was pretty accurate even accounting for elevation.

At current prices, the total energy cost of the trip equated to about 100 km of gasoline range.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Lately I can always tell when someone at work has filled up at the gas station since the previous day because they come up and tell me "It must be nice to have a Tesla right now.".

I want to reply "It must suck to have a <whatever 1 ton class 4x4 quad cab truck they are driving> right now.", but instead I just smile and nod.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Tyro posted:

The sales guy had to call a manager over who asked me to show him the account balance on my phone so he "knew" the check would clear. Then he signed off on the approval for their internal controls and all was good. Seemed silly but added like 90 seconds to the deal.

cruft posted:

We paid for our Bolt with a check. They told us they wouldn't start the title transfer until 10 days had passed so they could be sure it had cleared. [...] But anyway no, this doesn't sound weird at all.
Thanks! Appreciate the idiot check.

continues obsessively refreshing MarineTraffic

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bitprophet posted:

Thanks! Appreciate the idiot check.

I just checked, and I am still an idiot.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you exclusively frame the situation in terms of “how much is your time worth?” then dealerships add value

which, to be fair, is a serious consideration for a ton of buyers. Not everybody can sit back/take their sweet time

It took me 10 minutes to configure and order a Polestar. When I wanted to test drive one, they drove a car to an address that I specified. I'm seriously wondering what value you believe could have been added by me going through the traditional dealership experience

gently caress dealerships

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 20, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

It took me 10 minutes to configure and order a Polestar. When I wanted to test drive one, they drove a car to an address that I specified. I'm seriously wondering what value you believe a dealership could have added to this experience. TMK this is the Tesla experience, too.

gently caress dealerships

Do you need a car right the gently caress now?

Do you want to see a car on a lot, pay a person in a suit some money, and drive away in that specific car?

As of right now there’s unfortunately one predominant way of doing such things.

And don’t be loving intentionally dense, I wasn’t defending the practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Do you need a car right the gently caress now?

Do you want to see a car on a lot, pay a person in a suit some money, and drive away in that specific car?

As of right now there’s unfortunately one predominant way of doing such things.

And don’t be loving intentionally dense, I wasn’t defending the practice

We're talking about how actual dealership experiences occur, not this streamlined fantasy that you just made up. Even the people who argue in favor of dealerships don't try to claim that they make the experience fast and easy because that'd just be a lie