Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The powers change means we won't get a live action version of that hilarious panel where Kamala loses her mask and changes her face into a terrifying sub web comic cartoon face so her friends don't recognise her, which is a straight up crime.
:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I kind of dig the way it connects her to Danvers and the Infinity Stones. It feels like it might be part of something bigger. Purple is the power stone. Wanda is red for reality stone. Carol is blue for space stone. Vision is still probably somewhere tied to the mind stone. With Adam Warlock confirmed I could see us getting an Infinity Watch or something and that theoretically drops Kamala right in the middle of it.

But I never really read the comic so I’m admittedly not attached to the idea of what she is. So it’s easier for me to accept a change that fits the MCU more.

I've been guessing for a while now that the current incarnation of Vision doesn't have a Mind Stone, but is still connected to the infinity stones since we knew SHIELD (and by extension SWORD) were researching the Tesseract to try and make new weapons out of it. And then here comes a secret robot project hopped up on chaos magic with a crazy powerful blue gem in his head. A synthetic space stone, maybe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dunno. My theory is the stones are energy and energy can not be destroyed. So the stones are still out there, they’re just not stones anymore.

So given how overtly WandaVision tied Wanda’s increased powers to the reality stone and opened the question of where Visions consciousness is as tied to the mind stone makes it all feel like a starting place. My guess is Vision basically IS the mind stone so his being is out there with that energy just waiting to be collected or reunited with his body.

So my guess is Warlock will ultimately bring this all to light revealing that the energy of the stones found hosts connected to them and getting them all to turn them back into stones and watch over them. Maybe Warlock knows all this because he’s connected to the soul stone. So Wanda, Vision, Carol, and Kamala. One more for the time stone. I guess that could be Strange or Monica but it doesn’t feel revealed yet (although I haven’t seen No Way Home yet). If I had to guess I’d put my money on Loki.

That’s my theory.

And if I stretch it I think it also kind of sets up the idea of powerful cosmic forces needing hosts that would be overwhelmed by them. Like maybe the Phoenix Force.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sentinel Red posted:

The powers change means we won't get a live action version of that hilarious panel where Kamala loses her mask and changes her face into a terrifying sub web comic cartoon face so her friends don't recognise her, which is a straight up crime.
:colbert:

That scene sticks out for me as well but I think that would be really tough to do in live action with realistic stretching.

It does make me wonder if they ever considered going a more cartoony route with her powers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The trailer with that cartoony fantasy world element kind of seems like they do. At least a little.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah exactly. I don't recall if Kamala was an artist at all in the comics, or even a doodler, but it could be an easy addition to her character for the show to sell the idea that her shapeshifting powers manifest that way.

I stopped watching the Flash long before it got to Elongated Man but overall is the issue with stretchy powers doing stretchy flesh or just anything stretchy? I feel like I brought this up when we first heard of the power change a ways back but if her hands need to be gloved to make the effects better looking I don't think anyone would have cared.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Yeah exactly. I don't recall if Kamala was an artist at all in the comics, or even a doodler, but it could be an easy addition to her character for the show to sell the idea that her shapeshifting powers manifest that way.

She was an artist with fanfiction. :colbert:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it’s a mental thing more than anything. There’s such an obvious body horror element to it that I think it’s hard not to end up focusing on that. Flash rally leaned into that. Ralph was kind of a gross dude and he’s even overweight when he gets his powers and uses them to be fit. But he’s always turning into goo or doing horrific things with his body and calling attention to it so it just became the gag. Elongated Man was gross.

I’m sure there’s a way to do it without that. And I definitely think the decision to change Kamala’s powers has to do with other stuff as well. But I could understand that feeling like a hurdle of unintended elements, especially with a young woman.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i just don't really get the "you can't do stretchy" thing because they've already announced fantastic four. stretchy powers are going to happen

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s really just a thing fans have turned into a truism. There’s certainly an element of truth to the challenge but pretty much everything Marvel has done has been a challenge. Selling gods or talking raccoons or a shrinking dude all had challenges they tackled and made work. And you end up with Cap interacting with Groot and Rocket.

But the answer to why they made the decision to change her powers might have nothing to do with the difficulty and everything to do with story and character plans. Or as speculated maybe about not wanting to undercut the FF by debuting someone with the same powers just before. Who knows? It could be a lot of things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

i just don't really get the "you can't do stretchy" thing because they've already announced fantastic four. stretchy powers are going to happen

Just you wait until Reed shows up with glowing gauntlets.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

STAC Goat posted:

But the answer to why they made the decision to change her powers might have nothing to do with the difficulty and everything to do with story and character plans. Or as speculated maybe about not wanting to undercut the FF by debuting someone with the same powers just before. Who knows? It could be a lot of things.

Instead of undercutting Reed they're undercutting Sue now.

EDIT: Like I dunno it's a weird reasoning to make when none of the super soldiers in the MCU have undercut each other and Wanda and Strange didn't undercut each other. Reed and Kamala even use their powers in different ways so it's not like they'd be an exact copy of each other or anything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I said. I see no reason to assume it’s the primary or even existing motivation for the change because there’s like half a dozen plausible theories. So like I dunno if the “undercutting Reed” theory is a valid one because it’s mostly just something people on line made up.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Vandar posted:

Instead of undercutting Reed they're undercutting Sue now.

EDIT: Like I dunno it's a weird reasoning to make when none of the super soldiers in the MCU have undercut each other and Wanda and Strange didn't undercut each other. Reed and Kamala even use their powers in different ways so it's not like they'd be an exact copy of each other or anything.

Also Sue's force fields aren't anything that Strange couldn't just do, or Ebony Maw.

My current theory may be sorta dumb but I think as she gets better at using the bracer things she'll eventually get her regular powers, just in time for the final shot costume reveal and "KAMALA WILL RETURN IN THE MARVELS" tag.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
even just making her part skrull would make both her powers and her connection to carol slot in easily

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

I think she drew illustrations for her superhero fanfiction

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

even just making her part skrull would make both her powers and her connection to carol slot in easily
Speaking of her connection to Carol, it occurs to me that Carol never was Ms. Marvel in the MCU, and in fact, nobody's ever used that name. It's going to be purely Kamala's identity. I don't know if they're going to touch on that aspect at all, but Kamala making up her own superhero name instead of intentionally picking up a legacy definitely changes the vibe a bit.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
She writes tons of fanfic in the comics

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Something I just thought about, how much would the average person know about Carol Danvers in the MCU? Like, the Avengers teams in Avenger 1 and 2 everybody knows about, there were news crews recording the climactic battle and a poo poo ton of civilians present during those fights, but the climax of Endgame happens away from cameras and civilians, so the only publicly available information about it would be what the people there told publicly, and honestly Carol wasn't a prominent part of that and all of her other super heroics are either in the 90s or in a different galaxy. They make it explicit in Endgame that she spends most of her time during the 5-year time skip off planet.

Maybe it's a Boba Fett type thing (on the assumption someone's only exposure to him was Empire and Return) where having a cool costume and not actually knowing much about them allows you to project tons of stuff on to them. I didn't write fan fiction, but I loved Bobba Fett as a kid and that was literally my only knowledge of him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We don’t have any actual idea what the world knows about the Snap and battles with Thanos. Video footage of the battles themselves aside there would have been a ton of questions and five years of it. Cap crashed a spy ship and there were congressional hearings. Wanda killed some civilians half way across the globe and major international law was passed. There was probably a poo poo load of attention paid to an alien invasion that caused the disappearance of half the population and the the subsequent miracle of them all coming back and massive second battle.

What exactly the Avengers told people or high profile any of them individually are is unknown. But I don’t think it would be at all unreasonable to learn that Captain Marvel and Rocket became two of the most famous people on the planet for a few years. Even if Carol spends 90% of her time off planet.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

It's the same reason that "I can do this all day" is well known enough by the public that it's sung in a Broadway musical about Captain America even though he only said it twice in the 40s (to that bully in the alley and to Red Skull in a secret HYDRA lair), once to Iron Man in front of an unconscious Winter Soldier, and once to himself during a time travel caper with no other witnesses.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We live in a world where there’s people who know everything about the Kardashians. I have zero problem accepting that people have a disturbing amount of knowledge and obsession about the WW2 super hero who was frozen in ice until he started stopping alien invasions and government conspiracies or the massively powered woman who punched a hole in a spaceship.

Like think about the sort of random poo poo we know about celebrities or how much tell all stuff there is. Anyone tangentially connected is probably writing a book or a regular pundit on tv and if Cap or Tony mentioned that line one time in front of any random Avengers Compound, SHIELD, or Stark employee then it was mass tweeted a day later.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1503400562603089920?s=20&t=HXmRRbMt8ffdHa4aBXeETQ

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I think it’s a mental thing more than anything. There’s such an obvious body horror element to it that I think it’s hard not to end up focusing on that. Flash rally leaned into that. Ralph was kind of a gross dude and he’s even overweight when he gets his powers and uses them to be fit. But he’s always turning into goo or doing horrific things with his body and calling attention to it so it just became the gag. Elongated Man was gross.

Can Elongated Man even do that stuff? I thought that's the difference between him and Plastic Man.

CapnAndy posted:

Speaking of her connection to Carol, it occurs to me that Carol never was Ms. Marvel in the MCU, and in fact, nobody's ever used that name. It's going to be purely Kamala's identity. I don't know if they're going to touch on that aspect at all, but Kamala making up her own superhero name instead of intentionally picking up a legacy definitely changes the vibe a bit.

Someone's going to ask her who she is, she's going to call herself Marvel and then they'll say "Okay Miss.... Marvel". Title card.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I guess Doom Patrol technically counts for stretching powers too, but it's also supposed to be grotesque for the most part

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, live action stretchy powers are really hard to do in a way that looks convincing and isn't horrific.

I just don't buy this, Elongated Man on Flash did this year's ago and they were really fun, imaginative, and generally well received and that was on a CW budget. Maybe they weren't visually appealing the way that some other power sets are, but not every hero needs to be sleek and sexy! It's OK to just be cartoonish and weird!

This is a good collection of his scenes, judge for yourself if it's too horrific for children or if you think it could be fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3MUUfTnGMo&t=360s

Like people are saying, you probably have to lean into it as a gag for it to work, but the OG comics did do that and that was one of the things that made them really stand out. It's also really unusual to let a woman have a grotesque power and that meant a lot to me, so I'm really sad to see that gone.

I can understand the idea that they wanted to connect her to Carol/Monica. When Kamala originally came out, I definitely wondered why the hell the new Ms. Marvel character had Stretch Armstrong powers. It seemed off. But I got over that, and it turned out I didn't really care since the character was so cool and the comics were so good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The effects in the last few Marvel movies have kind of sucked anyway. That might be covid related I guess though.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Ms. Marvel series is going to be 100% this: she wants to be Captain Marvel, gets powers like Captain Marvel via ancient Kree artifact, poo poo goes badly and she loses that artifact, oh hey she learns she never needed that artifact in the first place and now has her new comic based power set that she uses to punch the bad guy.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
If you pause the trailer during the right clips she is stretching and growing just with a purple glow, it's not just creating an outer shell like Armor

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Apparently a reboot of Daredevil is officially in pre-production as a Disney+ series.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Jamesman posted:

Apparently a reboot of Daredevil is officially in pre-production as a Disney+ series.

Any reputable source on that?

Like I believe you especially after the whole cameo in NWH and well Hawkeye but all I saw was clickbait bs on it

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

bunnyofdoom posted:

Like I believe you especially after the whole cameo in NWH and well Hawkeye but all I saw was clickbait bs on it

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1504514660745322496?s=20&t=ubjqH8R4-AB_2K1ZsNxJxw

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have no doubts that the world would embrace Captain Marvel, a hot blond white lady with powers.

I'm sure Tony set up some kind of rights management office that licenses Avengers likeness to companies to slap their faces on stuff, and makes sure they get paid.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I have no doubts that the world would embrace Captain Marvel, a hot blond white lady with powers.

I'm sure Tony set up some kind of rights management office that licenses Avengers likeness to companies to slap their faces on stuff, and makes sure they get paid.

I wonder if the world of the MCU has a whole youtube economy dedicated to calling her the Mary Sue flop hero that never smiles and sucks, like ours does.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

theironjef posted:

I wonder if the world of the MCU has a whole youtube economy dedicated to calling her the Mary Sue flop hero that never smiles and sucks, like ours does.

Totally. There's probably a subreddit called superherocreepshots or something.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Original source is the trade magazine Production Weekly, which tracks movie/tv production cycles. They focus on the nuts and bolts side of the industry, and are seen as fairly legitimate.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
CW is preparing for DCs exit i guess lol

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1505943667797807120?t=XxI4PQqS3B_KDPrXSLj4fg&s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Will getting superpowers effect Betty's serial killer genes and she become the big bad of riverdale???

And the only one who can stop her is Vampironica and Jughead the Werewolf. CW truly has a gold mine.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Riverdale kicks rear end, it knows exactly what it is (incredibly stupid) and is that as hard as possible, all the time. Archie fought a bear. Archie has a tattoo a role playing game cultist juvenile detention center fight club manager branded him with. Betty's mom had a knife fight with a biker gang attorney. the kid from One Tree Hill tried to escape the collapse of his cult in a Snake River Canyon rocket cycle. Mark Consuelos very seriously shouted "Jughead Jones" while pounding a desk and no one laughed. you could introduce the little space alien who called Fred Flintstone a dumb dumb and I wouldn't bat an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I stopped watching after season 1 but I did appreciate how utterly stupid the show was. My teen niece thought it was great too and not utterly stupid so it clearly could appeal to different demographics for different reasons