Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

first person to quote this post gets an ORIGIN key for MASS EFFECT LEGENDARY EDITION

I'm unloading this in the lazy way because I have a cold and I want to be in bed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

repiv posted:

there's so many games in that humble bundle that steam locked me out of redeeming keys temporarily because i was doing too many

LOL same. It appears to not like redeeming more than 50 keys in 30 minutes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How do I get the game to you? You don't have plat - what's your steam ID, or email?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

LOL same. It appears to not like redeeming more than 50 keys in 30 minutes.

gaben please, my steam account is old enough to drink, i'm not a bot :mad:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

How do I get the game to you? You don't have plat - what's your steam ID, or email?

https://steamcommunity.com/id/saltysteve/

sorry i was on mobile

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Honestly one of the weirder things about approaching Dark Souls is this idea that it should be done by hermetically sealing yourself inside a clean room and cutting off all contact with humanity to avoid any possible hint/spoiler and figure out the entire game by yourself from scratch.

Granted, I get on the internet people are bound to overdo it with "helpful advice", but still.

And on the third hand, I'm also a weirdo who took the exact opposite approach and thoroughly and happily spoiled myself on just about everything and still enjoyed myself so. :shrug:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 18, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

John Murdoch posted:

Honestly one of the weirder things about approaching Dark Souls is this idea that it should be done by hermetically sealing yourself inside a clean room and cutting off all contact with humanity to avoid any possible hint/spoiler and figure out the entire game by yourself from scratch.

Granted, I get on the internet people are bound to overdo it with "helpful advice", but still.

And on the third hand, I'm also a weirdo who took the exact opposite approach and thoroughly and happily spoiled myself on just about everything and still enjoyed myself so. :shrug:

Yeah I got spoiled like mad but most people seem to like figuring things out. I dunno, I'm enjoying the play-at-launch Elden Ring experience where people have put messages everywhere and are obsessed with labelling every tortoise 'dog'.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the ideal way for me to enjoy a fromsoft souls game is to play it blind alongside a bunch of friends also playing through it blind and sharing our discoveries.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just google everything.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I just google everything.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I like finding things out myself, but equally as much I like grabbing info from a bunch of places and crafting the Perfect Playthrough

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can understand the joy of just finding poo poo on your own.

I ain’t doing it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo the exact right amount of outside help is what you get from messages scrawled on the ground.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm somewhere in between dicking around blindly, and googling things if a specific thing seems like it might be pertinent to me / really want to complete it specifically.

Like as a Wizard, yea, I'm gonna make sure I don't miss the Sellen stuff and Academy stuff.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I quite like the illusion that a game is more complex and that the game world is more expansive than it really is, and that is shattered by looking things up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sent, enjoy!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Antigravitas posted:

I quite like the illusion that a game is more complex and that the game world is more expansive than it really is, and that is shattered by looking things up.

For me Elden Ring has been a progressive series of Holy poo poo revelations that the world is, in fact, far MORE expansive than I expected. If the next door I walked through just had a cube of broken textures and a sign saying Game Over out of nowhere it would still be my GOTY by a huge margin.

I still recommend not looking things up though. This first experience rules so hard.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I once saw someone use the jokey term "Metroidbrainia" for Outer Wilds, to express the idea that like a Metroidvania you're wandering through an area to figure out how to access another area; but unlike Metroidvanias all you're going to pick up is information. You're not discovering items or keys; you're discovering how the gameworld fundamentally works. I think that's why I'm digging Tunic: though it certainly has items & powerups, the various perspective-secrets and instruction manual revelations give me all the same good vibes as Outer Wilds did.

idk, maybe that's a load of nonsense but it sounds good in my head :shobon:

Hopefully Tunic doesn't piss me off right at the end like Death's Door did :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 18, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It may not be a metroid but Outer Wilds is certainly a backtrack-em-up

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm giving away some spare Humble Bundle keys in the free games thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760415&pagenumber=192#post522225862

Crossposting since this thread has more eyes on it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mzbundifund posted:

For me Elden Ring has been a progressive series of Holy poo poo revelations that the world is, in fact, far MORE expansive than I expected. If the next door I walked through just had a cube of broken textures and a sign saying Game Over out of nowhere it would still be my GOTY by a huge margin.

I still recommend not looking things up though. This first experience rules so hard.
me, running over rooftops: holy poo poo, just how far does this go??

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

goferchan posted:

Yeah I just picked something up that made me go wait, how many loving pages is this manual??? :stare:
Is there a Tunic thread anywhere? I think there's definitely enough to talk about to justify one

Make a thread, I'd post in it.

Det_no posted:

Humble Bundle has its own bundle in support of Ukraine now.

https://www.humblebundle.com/stand-with-ukraine-bundle

:blyat:

That's a really nice slate of games. If anybody hasn't played Metro Exodus enhanced edition (which I believe comes with the two story DLCs that weren't available at launch, plus ray tracing) it's worth it just for that, it's a masterpiece. Just note that I think that version only runs on RT compatible GPUs

I have most of those games but I think I'm getting it anyways.

e: also there's some sweet comics in there too and a bunch of great games

Play fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 19, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

me, running over rooftops: holy poo poo, just how far does this go??

Why does every new elevator I find keep going down?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

playing the souls games blind can be extremely rewarding because much of the enjoyment of the games comes from not knowing what’s around the next corner and seeing some memorable thing you didn’t expect, such as the turtle pope NPC from elden ring. but I have a hard time recommending playing with absolutely no knowledge going in because there’s a couple mechanics that will probably just make your experience worse if you don’t know about them, world tendency from demon’s souls and agility from dark souls 2 being two the biggest ones that come to mind. I’m glad I knew about these before I played but largely stayed blind otherwise. the ideal feels like having the more esoteric mechanics explained to you but not the content.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

I saw someone describe Tunic as "La Mulana, if La Mulana didn't hate you" which is kind of like saying "water, if it wasn't wet" but also made me way more interested in the game.
:popeye: poo poo, I better get this soon

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

playing the souls games blind can be extremely rewarding because much of the enjoyment of the games comes from not knowing what’s around the next corner and seeing some memorable thing you didn’t expect, such as the turtle pope NPC from elden ring. but I have a hard time recommending playing with absolutely no knowledge going in because there’s a couple mechanics that will probably just make your experience worse if you don’t know about them, world tendency from demon’s souls and agility from dark souls 2 being two the biggest ones that come to mind. I’m glad I knew about these before I played but largely stayed blind otherwise. the ideal feels like having the more esoteric mechanics explained to you but not the content.

The big problem is the games in general are so obtuse that many times you can't be sure if something is or isn't working.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

pentyne posted:

The big problem is the games in general are so obtuse that many times you can't be sure if something is or isn't working.

True. In dark souls iii, there was an entire area that wasn't rendering right--like, really not right-- and I thought it was a 'novel challenging mechanic' or something for a half hour.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I made a Tunic thread for Tunic talk

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3997107

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Played like 3 hours of Tunic on gamepass and it's extremely cool but it also bluescreened my pc when I went to quit, maybe wait for a patch

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Det_no posted:

Humble Bundle has its own bundle in support of Ukraine now.

https://www.humblebundle.com/stand-with-ukraine-bundle

:blyat:
Wow that's a ton of games and looks like it's 100% to charities (you can pick which), IGN/J2 isn't taking a cut here

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlNyCD_ik6o
I never played it but I remember people had issues with the first Hard West, what were they again?

Atrociously bad AI was the big problem. They gave you like a toolbox of overpowered special moves that the AI couldn't deal with because it wasn't smart enough to do anything besides a binary choice between 'lay in wait' or 'run straight towards the nearest obvious place it could shoot at one of your characters from'. The main campaign was also the worst gameplay wise IMO while the shorter bonus campaigns were a lot more fun.

It was a real disappointment to play and have the realization that it'd be a genuinely good XCOM game if the AI wasn't so stupid that you accidentally started cheesing it by doing some of the most obvious tactical moves you could.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anybody been playing the very hilariously named ANNO: Mutationem? I liked the demo some months ago but the writing was very... off in that machine translated kind of way.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's ok they made another game called Anno but it's insane they also put a : after it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grabbed inscryption on sale and it's so good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Has anybody been playing the very hilariously named ANNO: Mutationem? I liked the demo some months ago but the writing was very... off in that machine translated kind of way.

It does feel cleaned up a lot for the final release. Occasionally a little stilted with a couple characters but it might be intentional with them?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tunic owns

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Grabbed inscryption on sale and it's so good.

Thanks for the reminder to check if Kaycee’s Mod is out yet. It is!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hwurmp posted:

Tunic owns

:hai:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I got Vermintide 2 at the $5 sale price, but now I see it's multiplayer-focused? I understand you can play with a team of bots, is single player viable/fun? I don't want to play multiplayer don't tell me to play multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you can but it’d be exactly like buying left 4 dead to play the singleplayer because vermintide is very much a warhammer flavored left 4 dead game