Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Get rid of comp picks imo. Yes I do hold this opinion because my team never gets any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sirtommygunn posted:

Get rid of comp picks imo. Yes I do hold this opinion because my team never gets any.

Yeah, it's a bad system that over-rewards teams that already get rewarded.

Anyway, look at this god among men with perfectly average sized hands

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1504128350654193666?t=C5cBoxEaP8vt-psnyN_TIw&s=19

Ugh is it bad to run 4.75/4.78 in the 40 if you're trying to get drafted to play corner in the NFL

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Chucktesla posted:

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1504128350654193666?t=C5cBoxEaP8vt-psnyN_TIw&s=19

Ugh is it bad to run 4.75/4.78 in the 40 if you're trying to get drafted to play corner in the NFL

It didn't stop Bob Quinn from drafting Teez Tabor! though it should have

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chucktesla posted:

Glanced at mock draftable and I haven't heard of a single DB they have in their database that's run slower then a 4.68.

Oh hey, Duke Ihenacho ran a 4.68

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Did something go wrong with his runs? I mean you would have had to know roughly what you can put out on a good day and if 4.75 is the best you can you'd come down with some minor hamstring tightness or a rolled ankle pretty quickly I imagine.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Every Tariq Woolen highlight is him sticking someone. Coverage ability looks like poo poo and he doesn't play with nearly the same speed he does when reacting to WRs. Watching this Western Kentucky and Illinois tape on youtube is pretty damning. Keeps up with everyone on go routes but you don't really want him changing directions. Bites on tons of stuff and doesn't really stick close to WRs at all. I think there's a reason UTSA had him covering blind side WRs. Potential is there but he looks beyond raw. If he learns short zone coverage he could be an awesome pick due to his tackling ability. That's way easier said than done. Happens so much that tall guys can't move in short space which means you're pulling a LB or safety over every time he's on the field.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

When is the TFF annual draft starting?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It didn't stop Bob Quinn from drafting Teez Tabor! though it should have

The worst goddamn DB I have ever seen in my whole life.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chucktesla posted:

The Georgia punter ran 4.6 at the combine

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

MrLogan posted:

When is the TFF annual draft starting?

I usually start it up after the first week of free agency, with a target of actually drafting by April 1st. I'll probably post the thread by middle of next week.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
nice I am looking forward to it!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/Jordan_Reid/status/1504432355016073218

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I hope the Jags don't take Hutchinson because it's such an easy pick for the Lions, but if they do, I genuinely have no idea where they go from there. Some mocks have Willis at #2, which I feel is a bit high, but our #2 is Tim Boyle so take your pick I guess.

What I'm saying is if you have any contacts in the Jags organization convince them to take an OL with their pick. Hell, Haslam took Johnny Football on the advice of a homeless guy. It really does work!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Thibodeaux. If you don't need an LT the answer is Thibodeaux. Honestly, the only teams that should consider not drafting Thibodeaux if he's on the board are the Jaguars, because of how badly they need to protect Lawrence, and Detroit because it's really really cool to get a hometown kid to be the face of your franchise.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Yeah that's my thought as well. I don't buy into the whole "doesn't love football" thing, and, while I understand it from an investment standpoint that you really only want to give gobs of money to people who seem to give 110%, it's kind of a dumb talking point.

The Lion's defense has more holes than Swiss cheese tbh so anyone would be an upgrade from what we have now

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Doesn't love a sport is always a legitimate concern as you kind of need to be obsessed with it in order to reach the top levels. I'd just be more concerned about his leg injuries.

Hutchinson is supremely athletic but his first step sucks and he's somehow bad in the run game. He's not as slam dunk of a pick as pundits are making him out to be so don't be too disappointed if the Lions don't get him.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I've seen so many high-effort plays from Thibodeaux I just have a lot of trouble believing that crap. Yeah there's a few where maybe he was gassed but I don't see evidence that his heart wasn't 100% in it and trying to win for his team. And I don't think you would ever become as good as he has, no matter how athletic you start out, if you don't love the game.

I also haven't seen anyone with actual access and inside knowledge about him say that. It all started, from what I can tell, from loving Todd McShay. So yeah I don't really buy it.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
As one of the few resident Oregon fans around here, I can definitely say KT's effort wasn't something I saw a lack of at all, and not the vibe I got from even the more critical reporters covering practices and what not. There wasn't a lot of talent on the d-line (there was no Ojabo on the other side helping KT) so teams could afford to double team and bully him on every play so he was almost certainly having to work harder than Hutchinson on a weekly basis.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Well let's not get ahead of ourselves. Hutchinson was getting consistently double and triple teamed. Ojabo was helpful in sometimes pulling away blockers, as well as Hinton, Smith, and Harrell, but Hutchinson definitely showed prowess in getting through pockets by himself.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Sauce seems good, but stingley freshman tape is out of the world.

I hope at least one of them makes it to number 9.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/jeffrichadiha/status/1504839200469827597

ugh.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baalke will take him in the 3rd anyway.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Doltos posted:

Doesn't love a sport is always a legitimate concern as you kind of need to be obsessed with it in order to reach the top levels. I'd just be more concerned about his leg injuries.

Hutchinson is supremely athletic but his first step sucks and he's somehow bad in the run game. He's not as slam dunk of a pick as pundits are making him out to be so don't be too disappointed if the Lions don't get him.

I lived through the Matt Millen Era so as long as we don't pick another Charles Rogers I consider it a win tbh

Or, you know, any WR. We got lucky with Megatron and then blew it

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

This loving sucks.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wanna see someone perform CPR on themself?

https://twitter.com/nfl/status/1504878160659156992?s=21

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You'd have to worry about tackles getting their hands in the giant cavity where Hutchinson's sternum used to be.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Sauce seems good, but stingley freshman tape is out of the world.

I hope at least one of them makes it to number 9.

I am 100% bought in on Sauce. Just everything about him is super impressive, although one thing that does concern me is how insanely slight his frame is and whether he can avoid injury. But I also like Stingley and think he will be a very good player. I realize that's just white noise but it's what I think :shrug:

And bummer about Ojabo. Sounds like a ligament although maybe an outside chance it's just a really bad sprain. Probably not.

Someone's gonna get a Jeffery Simmons-like steal although Ojabo will probably fall farther than that even.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

After all the talk about DeVonta Smith last year I'm through worrying about frame

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Play posted:

I am 100% bought in on Sauce. Just everything about him is super impressive, although one thing that does concern me is how insanely slight his frame is and whether he can avoid injury. But I also like Stingley and think he will be a very good player. I realize that's just white noise but it's what I think :shrug:

Honestly, if a coach can get him to hit low when he’s in zone, I’m not super worried. He’s had a lot more contact and tackling than a lot of these guys, so just clean technique and he’s not super liable to suddenly have durability issues.

Stingley though, I am a bit concerns about the Lisfranc at this point. I still think he’s going to be really good but I get very nervous about foot injuries with corners because there’s essentially no portion of the game where it’s not at risk. I still think he’s worth a first and the best corner in the draft if healthy, but that’s a brutal injury.

Doltos posted:

Yeah, I think the love of sport thing with KT is smoke around the fact he’s clearly got a bit of the “hustle” bro attitude in interviews and is very very likely to have interests beyond the field, but I think it’s also overblown because dude isn’t becoming a crypto billionaire without seed money. He plays hard on tape—that’s enough for me.

Hutch might have the worst first step for his measurable and production I’ve seen in a while. I agree that he’s not a slam dunk, but I do think this understated what he is in the run game. He’s too slow and stiff in practice to be a guy who consistently blows up running plays in the backfield like KT could, but he’s at least a guy who can disengage and at a minimum make a neutral tackle laterally with his wingspan. To me, that’s an average run defender, but he’s absolutely not ever going to be any better than that short of working on his ability to disengage off of his already weak first step—there’s no earlier space for him to hit.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bigger chested guys will always hit their sternum when doing bench presses. Range of motion for the shoulder complex goes about an inch above an average person's chest when they bench. Just packing on a bit of muscle or having that type of build will cause the bar to hit. Not a big deal and probably engages his triceps, biceps, and deltoids better than if he hovered.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Stingley though, I am a bit concerns about the Lisfranc at this point. I still think he’s going to be really good but I get very nervous about foot injuries with corners because there’s essentially no portion of the game where it’s not at risk. I still think he’s worth a first and the best corner in the draft if healthy, but that’s a brutal injury

Julio Jones, Brian Westbrook, Jonathan Allen, and Le'Veon Bell are the only success stories from Lisfranc. It's about a three month recovery period and a big muscle rebuild up after that because you can't put any pressure on the injury. The joint itself is a major torque spot for planting off your toes so it stands to reason that if it doesn't heal up perfectly people just lose their ability to plant on that foot. Luckily for Stingley his injury is in his left foot, and as a #1 CB he'll be planting off his right to shade defenders to the sidelines. Most defenders also plant with their dominant foot before tackles so that shouldn't be too sapped either.

Still a huge question mark though. Without the injury I think he's the undisputed #1 pick in the draft. With it, who knows?

Doltos fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 18, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Doltos posted:

Bigger chested guys will always hit their sternum when doing bench presses. Range of motion for the shoulder complex goes about an inch above an average person's chest when they bench. Just packing on a bit of muscle or having that type of build will cause the bar to hit. Not a big deal and probably engages his triceps, biceps, and deltoids better than if he hovered.

Julio Jones, Brian Westbrook, Jonathan Allen, and Le'Veon Bell are the only success stories from Lisfranc. It's about a three month recovery period and a big muscle rebuild up after that because you can't put any pressure on the injury. The joint itself is a major torque spot for planting off your toes so it stands to reason that if it doesn't heal up perfectly people just lose their ability to plant on that foot. Luckily for Stingley his injury is in his left foot, and as a #1 CB he'll be planting off his right to shade defenders to the sidelines. Most defenders also plant with their dominant foot before tackles so that shouldn't be too sapped either.

Still a huge question mark though. Without the injury I think he's the undisputed #1 pick in the draft. With it, who knows?

Not for nothing but when it comes to lifting technique I'd trust Fiz over just about anyone. I've been lifting for 15 years and he's never said anything I'd disagree with when it comes to picking up heavy poo poo and putting it down. Not saying this lineman's technique is woeful but its not great. Touching to your chest is fine if your range of motion allows for it but bouncing it like that is a bad idea.

I also in general think that straight bench press is absolutely pointless in this day and age and other than the theatre of it and teenagers measuring dicks it serves no purpose. I haven't done regular old stock standard bench in over a year. Just completely dropped it from my routine and I've lost 0 in size or strength.

The plant foot is a good point but you're still going to have to dig that left foot and burst off it multiple times a game. Like you said if plenty of RBs can come back without issue he will too.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think Jimmy Smith is a sort of success story. He came back as a starting caliber CB, but was never really the same guy. Smith has even gone on record as the Lisfranc being the one of his many, many injuries that still bothers him. Wakes up to a stiff, painful foot everyday.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

TheGreyGhost posted:

****sauce****

When was the last time someone from Cincy had such a hype around him? Maybe Pead Wolfe or Barwin? Even then, I don't think they were as hyped as Sauce.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Not for nothing but when it comes to lifting technique I'd trust Fiz over just about anyone. I've been lifting for 15 years and he's never said anything I'd disagree with when it comes to picking up heavy poo poo and putting it down. Not saying this lineman's technique is woeful but its not great. Touching to your chest is fine if your range of motion allows for it but bouncing it like that is a bad idea.

I also in general think that straight bench press is absolutely pointless in this day and age and other than the theatre of it and teenagers measuring dicks it serves no purpose. I haven't done regular old stock standard bench in over a year. Just completely dropped it from my routine and I've lost 0 in size or strength.

The plant foot is a good point but you're still going to have to dig that left foot and burst off it multiple times a game. Like you said if plenty of RBs can come back without issue he will too.

I appreciate the compliment but I have the most pathetic bench you’ve ever seen. I could out snatch my bench.

And bench is def a show lift but it’s good for spotting outliers at the extremes.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think Jimmy Smith is a sort of success story. He came back as a starting caliber CB, but was never really the same guy. Smith has even gone on record as the Lisfranc being the one of his many, many injuries that still bothers him. Wakes up to a stiff, painful foot everyday.

Yeah foot and back injuries, along with achillles tears slightly less so, probably the most worrying of any injuries for football players.

The lisfranc joint complex is the most important part of your foot when it comes to pushing off your toes, which pretty much all athletic activity is based around. It's a very complex area and actually people calling something a 'lisfranc' doesn't really tell you all that much because there's a lot of bad poo poo that can happen in there, which can be difficult to fix and difficult to heal from. You can have ligament strains and tears, but also fractures, breaks and even dislocations. Or multiples of those options. It also makes a difference where exactly it happens, big toe side or pinky toe side or wherever in between. So they aren't all created equal.

I think people sometimes also forget that our feet are in some ways just enormous flesh covered hands, so its very complex in there, you can get hurt in many different ways just like a hand.

I had a lisfranc injury running track, it turned out to be a strain which I recovered from without surgery. But it was very painful and put a complete stop to any athletic activities for a long time.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BlindSite posted:

How weak do you think the sternum is?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Bouncing it is just a way for him to hit more reps, gives you a slight boost on the next push. As long as he didn't hurt himself it's totally fine. As far as whether it is dangerous or not I'm not really sure but he achieved his objective

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Doltos posted:

You can very easily bruise your sternum *shrugs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I appreciate the compliment but I have the most pathetic bench you’ve ever seen. I could out snatch my bench.

And bench is def a show lift but it’s good for spotting outliers at the extremes.

I just think it's one of those lifts that has a higher propensity for injury if for nothing else - because it's one of those flex lifts that people want to show big numbers on and if your technique is out or your not dialled in when you're going for numbers the potential for blowing something out is just too high. I get why its one of those things at the combine and I get why some people love it, but I also fully understand why for some trainers its become something of an afterthought. My grandfather was a champion powerlifter in the 50s and he gave me one of his old training manuals years ago and the flat bench with a barbell isn't even in the manual.

Doltos posted:

I know he's not going to shatter his chest into a thousand pieces. As someone who's had a cracked sternum I know how much force it takes to cause minor discomfort for a week, but I also know that you're increasing the likelihood of a shoulder injury when you bounce the bar off your chest. I'm not an advocate of there being one way to train - don't get me wrong and I don't want to necessarily derail the thread further but I guess my whole point boils down to displays like that are pointless and don't indicate anything other than when a big strong dude tries to do something dumb as many times as possible he can do it this many times. If they wanted a true strength measurement they should do a proper strength measurement with four or five lifts instead of this carny stuff.

I will end my weird rant there.