Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Falukorv posted:

This is typical among family and friends i meet in Portugal (and less so in Sweden where i live). Maybe more common in "warmer" mediterranean cultures? People get dressed and stand by the door to leave, you kiss goodbye but then they just hang around for 15 minutes talking but since you already kissed/shaked hands you just leave when the conversation ends without a second parting gesture.
At least in rural parts of Norway it's really common for people to say that they're really busy and only have time for one small coffee and then stay for several hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think folks not knowing when to Wrap It Up is a universal human trait. Surprisingly, many people do not have the "I've been at this party exactly two hours, time to leave" biological clock in their heads.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Wipfmetz posted:

What? Did he use hydrogen as fuel for the burner? Or was the balloon filled with hydrogen AND he put a burner underneath?

Not trying to be snarky, those _were_ adventurous times full of hydrogen based air travel.

My Airship Favourite Fun Fact is the smoking room on the Hindenburg. Please consider that with the Hindenburg, the passenger space was integrated into the frame, as opposed to hanging underneath it. So yes, somebody designed a smoking room engulfed in a volume of hydrogen.

(and that wasn't even the reason for the disaster. I think something about the protection paint of the outer skin was the reason for it?)

Yep, the paint was basically thermite.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

exquisite tea posted:

I think folks not knowing when to Wrap It Up is a universal human trait. Surprisingly, many people do not have the "I've been at this party exactly two hours, time to leave" biological clock in their heads.

There's also entire schools of etiquette about being modest and indirectly communicating, which gets rather frustrating for the neurodivergent who aren't actively taught this poo poo and thus stumble through life never knowing when they've gravely offended people as a result. There's a reason so many fairy tales, gruesome myths and horror movies are about violating some unknown rule of a creature that can do terrible things to you as punishment.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's also entire schools of etiquette about being modest and indirectly communicating, which gets rather frustrating for the neurodivergent who aren't actively taught this poo poo and thus stumble through life never knowing when they've gravely offended people as a result. There's a reason so many fairy tales, gruesome myths and horror movies are about violating some unknown rule of a creature that can do terrible things to you as punishment.

wait, who are the fairies

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alhazred posted:

At least in rural parts of Norway it's really common for people to say that they're really busy and only have time for one small coffee and then stay for several hours.

my faroese relatives absolutely do this

"no no we have to go, we have to go, J wants to go fishing & S is gonna meet up with a friend later, also i have a bunch of yard work to do just one more småkage also by the way, if you need any of the stuff from &c &c." so it takes like 2 hrs minimum before they get off their rear end lol

its koseligt tho

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also I feel like I just read about the discovery of the last campsite from one of these expeditions on some islet off Svalbard or Kola, but I can't remember the right keywords to find it again. Like, they found it within the last 5 years or so?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

my faroese relatives absolutely do this

"no no we have to go, we have to go, J wants to go fishing & S is gonna meet up with a friend later, also i have a bunch of yard work to do just one more småkage also by the way, if you need any of the stuff from &c &c." so it takes like 2 hrs minimum before they get off their rear end lol

its koseligt tho

Something that happened to my parents: They were at the cabin and a neighbor dropped by, just to say hi, several hours later he says: "Well, I guess I have to give the wife a call. She's probably wondering where I'm at and I left the phone on the tractor."

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Mar 18, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

Something that happened to my parents: They were at the cabin and a neighbor dropped by, just to say hi, several hours later he says: "Well, I guess I have to give the wife a call. She's probably wondering where I'm at and I left the phone on the tractor."

lol when I was 10-12-ish I went to a friends house after class out in the farmlands & forgot to let grandma know (on the rotary phone) (my parents were out so she was looking after us). Anyway, I realized I should get home before dinner so I said bye to my friend and walked the 7-8 km. I figured it usually only takes a couple hours, but this was one of the few real snowy winter years we had in Denmark & the route is just flat open farmland so there's nothing stopping wind. Jeans & a windbreaker don't isolate much.

Poor grandma nearly died from worry. She'd called all my friends until she got hold of the one I had been at, and his mom was like "yeah he left 3 hours ago". I think it ended up taking 4 hours. I was fine, but cold as hell.

There was a freedom before cell phones, but probably also more kids died. Who's to say if that's good or bad?

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Mar 18, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was a good thing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gaius Marius posted:

It was a good thing

my dad used to bike like 15-20 kms out with his friends and play in bogs. if anyone fell in there, thered be no way to get help in time lol

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Leaving without saying bye is called "the Irish goodbye", but it's "French leave" in Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish. It's "English leave" in Russian, and "Polish exit" in German.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

in one of my friend groups we just call it "doing a [james]" cause one time he left without saying goodbye or putting on his shoes, just walked home in socks.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Carthag Tuek posted:

Also I feel like I just read about the discovery of the last campsite from one of these expeditions on some islet off Svalbard or Kola, but I can't remember the right keywords to find it again. Like, they found it within the last 5 years or so?

You might be thinking of the aforementioned swedish balloon expedition. No one heard or saw anything from them for thirty years, until by chance someone found their final camp in Svalbard, including a camera with pictures documenting their crash and subsequent slow demise.

https://www.donttakepictures.com/dtp-blog/2019/2/28/the-lost-photographs-of-salomon-andres-north-pole-hot-air-balloon-expedition

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

catfry posted:

You might be thinking of the aforementioned swedish balloon expedition. No one heard or saw anything from them for thirty years, until by chance someone found their final camp in Svalbard, including a camera with pictures documenting their crash and subsequent slow demise.

https://www.donttakepictures.com/dtp-blog/2019/2/28/the-lost-photographs-of-salomon-andres-north-pole-hot-air-balloon-expedition

Yeah that's definitely it. I wonder why there was an article in a Danish newspapers about it then. I got the impression that it was some recent discovery, but those are from 30 years later than the 1897 expedition date

e: must be crossed wires. back when this whole "onrail" started, I remember thinking I should look up that article cause it had some "new info", but then I forgot about it and now I just searched the newspaper archives and I got nothing.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Mar 18, 2022

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Yeah, i know what you mean. I also vaguely remember some article or something within the last couple of years, but I can't find anything either.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

in one of my friend groups we just call it "doing a [james]" cause one time he left without saying goodbye or putting on his shoes, just walked home in socks.

lol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Classic James

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Chamale posted:

Leaving without saying bye is called "the Irish goodbye", but it's "French leave" in Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish. It's "English leave" in Russian, and "Polish exit" in German.

Rather like how syphilis was known as the French/Italian/Spanish pox?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fighting Trousers posted:

Rather like how syphilis was known as the French/Italian/Spanish pox?

ahem, you mean English

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Both me and my brother were notorious in our
shared friend group for vanishing from parties.
It was widely referred to as "Doing a Connolly*"

Weirdly enough, we're all Irish, so apparently we were even more severe a case of it than our compatriots. Can't speak for my brother, but I've always been an early riser, even when massively hungover, and I hate waiting around for other people to get up.
I used to walk 5-6 miles home at 6 o'clock in the morning rather than wait for other people to get up.

*not our actual name

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I apparently tend to do an Irish goodbye at parties. I have a few vague memory of realizing that I'm too drunk and sneaking out because I don't want to bother anyone.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Okay, back to odd historical poo poo.

In 1861, on the tiny Danish island of Bågø, a church was to be build, some of the funds came from the government, some from the local residents on the island and some of it, mostly to pay for the priest, came from Karl Wilhelm Adam Sigismund lensgreve Wedell-(Wedellsborg), a magnate, but not a local one.

In fact, his estate isn't on the island of Bågø, it's on the "mainland" (Actually the large island of Fyn, but the mainland is the best term here), due north of the island itself.

And the church, is oddly located, normally Danish churches are in the middle of small towns, makes some sense, it's a local social and spiritual spot, but Bågø Church is in the northern part of the village, on the very edge of it, there's absolutely NOTHING north of the church itself.

Can you guess it? Yes, the loving count paid all that money, so he could tell them to build the church on the northern side, so he could see the lights of the church from his estate. He paid a lot of money, just to improve the view from his estate. Sure, there might be some religion there too, but probably more just the view.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I recall a story of a guy (in Germany, perhaps) who was pissed about all the trees blocking the view from his castle. So he ordered them all cut down.

Along with the trees went all the birds, and the resulting swarm of insects made the castle almost uninhabitable.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

RagnarokZ posted:

Okay, back to odd historical poo poo.

In 1861, on the tiny Danish island of Bågø, a church was to be build, some of the funds came from the government, some from the local residents on the island and some of it, mostly to pay for the priest, came from Karl Wilhelm Adam Sigismund lensgreve Wedell-(Wedellsborg), a magnate, but not a local one.

In fact, his estate isn't on the island of Bågø, it's on the "mainland" (Actually the large island of Fyn, but the mainland is the best term here), due north of the island itself.

And the church, is oddly located, normally Danish churches are in the middle of small towns, makes some sense, it's a local social and spiritual spot, but Bågø Church is in the northern part of the village, on the very edge of it, there's absolutely NOTHING north of the church itself.

Can you guess it? Yes, the loving count paid all that money, so he could tell them to build the church on the northern side, so he could see the lights of the church from his estate. He paid a lot of money, just to improve the view from his estate. Sure, there might be some religion there too, but probably more just the view.

lmao that is so petty, "nobody can build north of here". loving rich people.

Some general context: Denmark is ostensibly church/state-separated since 1848, but there are and have been a lot of weird edge cases.

Originally, the Catholic church owned the churches and in turn the land around them, etc. During the reformation in 1536, the crown assumed ownership of all of it, but land was still owned by the parish church or whatever. The basic structure was the same except the top was switched out from the pope to the king. Also everything was still accounted in kind, so a certain farm was obliged to pay 4 lambs and 3 eggs or whatever to the local church. The other farms paid to the king, or some local capitalist. You know the system.

Because priests were old and nerdy, the churches also had a warden, whose job was accounting, upkeep etc. It's a business: You have to pay for candles, wafers & wine, grave diggers, but you also get money from the tithe & mensal farms. So beginning in 1536 and escalating wildly by 1848, you'll find all these psychos buying & selling the rights to tithe or the wardenship of churches like they were NFTs. Depending on the church & the period, it could be a pretty good deal, also you go to heaven maybe?

Around the state bankruptcy & hyperinflation up to 1814, you'll even find farmers banding together to buy the tithing rights off the church or the lord, essentially freeing them from that "tax".

I'm not sure when the last private wardenship was ended (all churches are now "owned" by the congregations, but upkept by the state), but I figure it was probably about the same as the fiefs in 1919.

e: Oh also we still had corvée in some places into the late 1800s, though usually you could exchange the forced labor for a set amount of cash so it was more like a tax by then.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

quote:

Along with the trees went all the birds, and the resulting swarm of insects made the castle almost uninhabitable.
Good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Every new year festival the king of Babylon had to go to the temple of Marduk. There he knelt in front of his statue, the high priest stripped him of his regalia and the king had to swear that he had been a fair and just ruler. After that the priest slapped the king really hard in the face. It was important that he was slapped hard enough to cry or the gods would be upset and the king would not get back his regalia.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
lol imagine being the high priest and just having a slap-training regimen just to make sure you're in peak slapping condition for festival day.

then imagine being the king and then seeing the high priest getting ready and knowing what's coming.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just busting out a Ric Flair-style "WOOOOOO" as I rattle the teeth of my supreme monarch, shattering capillaries with religious zeal.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Deteriorata posted:

I recall a story of a guy (in Germany, perhaps) who was pissed about all the trees blocking the view from his castle. So he ordered them all cut down.

There's a more modern one of the American whose life dream was to live in a castle, and bought one in Wales to retire in. Unsurprisingly, 400+ year old castles were not built to modern standards of comfort, and it's pretty drafty and miserable to live in one in the Welsh climate. Guy hires an architectural firm with experience in working on old historic register listed places to see what they could do by way of insulation, plumbing, electricity, HVAC etc. The estimate comes back at something like ~10x the original purchase price to do everything legally and lawfully within code. The owner then asks for a split out of what it would take to do just central heating, and it's about half of the estimate, still 5x what the guy paid for the property to begin with. The owner gets snippy with the estimator, thinking he's getting ripped off.
Estimator explains that is the going rate for such sensitive work on a huge scale, and retorts, "you can't have archaic and heat it too"

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Boo this man! Boooooo!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Every new year festival the king of Babylon had to go to the temple of Marduk. There he knelt in front of his statue, the high priest stripped him of his regalia and the king had to swear that he had been a fair and just ruler. After that the priest slapped the king really hard in the face. It was important that he was slapped hard enough to cry or the gods would be upset and the king would not get back his regalia.

Man, they should have stayed with the Sumerian tradition where the king had to gently caress a priestess in front of the whole city every new year to re-enact the sacred marriage between Inanna and Dumuzi.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You sound like the king of babylon

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao that is so petty, "nobody can build north of here". loving rich people.

Some general context: Denmark is ostensibly church/state-separated since 1848, but there are and have been a lot of weird edge cases.

Originally, the Catholic church owned the churches and in turn the land around them, etc. During the reformation in 1536, the crown assumed ownership of all of it, but land was still owned by the parish church or whatever. The basic structure was the same except the top was switched out from the pope to the king. Also everything was still accounted in kind, so a certain farm was obliged to pay 4 lambs and 3 eggs or whatever to the local church. The other farms paid to the king, or some local capitalist. You know the system.

Because priests were old and nerdy, the churches also had a warden, whose job was accounting, upkeep etc. It's a business: You have to pay for candles, wafers & wine, grave diggers, but you also get money from the tithe & mensal farms. So beginning in 1536 and escalating wildly by 1848, you'll find all these psychos buying & selling the rights to tithe or the wardenship of churches like they were NFTs. Depending on the church & the period, it could be a pretty good deal, also you go to heaven maybe?

Around the state bankruptcy & hyperinflation up to 1814, you'll even find farmers banding together to buy the tithing rights off the church or the lord, essentially freeing them from that "tax".

I'm not sure when the last private wardenship was ended (all churches are now "owned" by the congregations, but upkept by the state), but I figure it was probably about the same as the fiefs in 1919.

e: Oh also we still had corvée in some places into the late 1800s, though usually you could exchange the forced labor for a set amount of cash so it was more like a tax by then.

Another stupid Danish fact!

Thanks to the efforts of a single man, Johan Exner, 1100 Danish Churches had their surroundings protected against change, thanks to this one bored Danish priest. So if you look on a map over Danish protected areas: https://fredningsnaevn.dk/kort-over-fredninger/

You will see little random areas in most small towns, most of them are the result of Exner essentially decided that he didn't want ugly sheds near Churches, this also means that you can't build anything tall near Church without a poo poo ton of paperwork and permissions.

And just to make it even dumber, the Churches themselves aren't usually protected, it's just the surroundings.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I suppose most older Danish churches are covered by the Bygningsfredningsloven anyway, no? Anyway I think a side-effect of this is that apparently, congregations or dioceses (or whatever they're called under evangelical lutheranism) have a say for some pretty wide areas even outside those covered in the map above. There's been a couple cases in the news recently where proposed windfarms have been shot down by local nimbys via the church. Govt. is looking into curtailing those rights. Also gently caress a bunch of that.

Speaking of corvée (hoveri), the accountings for royally held areas of Denmark contain meticulous yearly registers of how many men, horses, wagons, etc were provided, on which dates, etc. Unfortunately there are rarely names, but it's a good indicator of the "health" of a given parish through time. I usually skip them, as I am more interested in genealogy than general history.

Anyway, I was reading about the Great Northern War (1700–20), in which the perfidious Swedes assaulted Denmark on August 4, 1700 (Swedish date was July 25, we switched to the Gregorian calendar before they did). They landed by ship near a small fishing hamlet called Humlebæk. Runners had alerted the Danes, but even though the Danes voluntold the local farmers and fishermen to help repel them, the Swedes gained a foothold and marched on Copenhagen. One of my ancestors, a fisherman, died in that first battle. Those fuckers :argh:

I basically just had a single sentence saying that someone else took over his copyhold, so I was looking for more detail on it & decided to dig into the corvée. It turns out that, following the battle/skirmish, the Swedes voluntold the locals to provide wagons for their gear, hay for their horses, etc.

What surprised me is that this was apparently considered valid corvée by the Danish authorities, and the accountings reflect that. They're p much like "yeah these peasants have paid their dues". I would've expected them to be like "lol gently caress you, get to work"

canis minor
May 4, 2011

RagnarokZ posted:

Another stupid Danish fact!

Thanks to the efforts of a single man, Johan Exner, 1100 Danish Churches had their surroundings protected against change, thanks to this one bored Danish priest. So if you look on a map over Danish protected areas: https://fredningsnaevn.dk/kort-over-fredninger/

You will see little random areas in most small towns, most of them are the result of Exner essentially decided that he didn't want ugly sheds near Churches, this also means that you can't build anything tall near Church without a poo poo ton of paperwork and permissions.

And just to make it even dumber, the Churches themselves aren't usually protected, it's just the surroundings.

What happens when the church gets destroyed - do the protected areas disappear?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

canis minor posted:

What happens when the church gets destroyed - do the protected areas disappear?

my impression is theyre separate from the church building & instead they apply to the land, so probably not

some of it seems to be covered by regular zoning laws which often include "dont build too tall right on the property line" (tbf those laws might be later?). also idk if the the numbers are different (like is it 1 story vs 2 or?)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

What surprised me is that this was apparently considered valid corvée by the Danish authorities, and the accountings reflect that. They're p much like "yeah these peasants have paid their dues". I would've expected them to be like "lol gently caress you, get to work"

Yeah that is a surprisingly even handed approach.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Carthag Tuek posted:

Anyway, I was reading about the Great Northern War (1700–20), in which the perfidious Swedes assaulted Denmark on August 4, 1700 (Swedish date was July 25, we switched to the Gregorian calendar before they did). They landed by ship near a small fishing hamlet called Humlebæk. Runners had alerted the Danes, but even though the Danes voluntold the local farmers and fishermen to help repel them, the Swedes gained a foothold and marched on Copenhagen. One of my ancestors, a fisherman, died in that first battle. Those fuckers :argh:

:mad: how strange. Our notes says it started February 11 when you's attacked (swedish) Livonia aka Latvia, besieged Riga, and invaded (technically cousins, but de facto yep, still us) Holstein-Gottorp.

I will forgive you when I want to.
Which is never :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

:mad: how strange. Our notes says it started February 11 when you's attacked (swedish) Livonia aka Latvia, besieged Riga, and invaded (technically cousins, but de facto yep, still us) Holstein-Gottorp.

I will forgive you when I want to.
Which is never :argh:

payback from 1678 bi5ch :flipoff: