Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

girl dick energy posted:

We even have foreshadowing for it ever since O-Chul gave Roy Xykon's spell list.

When was this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

jeebus bob posted:

When was this?

Right after V and O'chul got teleported out of Azure City by the MitD.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

jeebus bob posted:

When was this?

Immediately after the party got reunited after the whole thing where Roy died, half the party stayed in Azure City, the other half fled on ships, V did the soul splice thing, etc.

I remember it very clearly because it had a very good exchange, where Roy asked how O-chul had gotten the list and O-chul grimly answered “one saving throw at a time”.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Found it!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sky Shadowing posted:

I was under the impression that if the Gods destroy the world, all the souls will be safe. They'll have time to gather up all the souls then gather back up the fragments of Creation and use them to once again ensnare the Snarl.

Yeah, that's what I said. The main downside to destroying the world, at least from Serini's point of view, is that if they can get the Dark One to play ball, they can seal the Snarl forever. If they destroy the world, TDO most likely won't survive the transition.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The Monster in the Dark is probably going to side with the Order against Xykon, which gives them a very powerful potential boost.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, that's what I said. The main downside to destroying the world, at least from Serini's point of view, is that if they can get the Dark One to play ball, they can seal the Snarl forever. If they destroy the world, TDO most likely won't survive the transition.

And the big issue with TDO not making it to the next world is that the Gods seemingly can't influence the rise of a new god because then it'd not have have a unique quiddity.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

blastron posted:

I remember it very clearly because it had a very good exchange, where Roy asked how O-chul had gotten the list and O-chul grimly answered “one saving throw at a time”.

He's the best paladin

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

For a long time now, I’ve thought that the thing that gets Xykon in the end will be the fact that he imprisoned O-chul next to the Monster in the Dark and that made his secret weapon grow a conscience.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Khizan posted:

For a long time now, I’ve thought that the thing that gets Xykon in the end will be the fact that he imprisoned O-chul next to the Monster in the Dark and that made his secret weapon grow a conscience.

That'll definitely be a part of it! MitD is like Rich's ace in the hole at this point.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Thanks! And to the others for explaining.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Have we ever seen Xykon's Contingency go off? Surprised to see it on the list, doesn't seem like Xykon's style... oh dear now I'm underestimating Xykon

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

SuperKlaus posted:

Zulily and GDE make good and correct points, and another reason to think the Order can/will in fact beat Xykon is the preview of Roy's puissance vs evil undead spellcasters we saw when he took on Durkula (as someone observed long ago upthread).

Roy never actually beat Durkula, though. One-on-one in close combat, he could only really manage a draw. And the more conventional party battle encounter was a disaster for the Order.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Staltran posted:

Have we ever seen Xykon's Contingency go off? Surprised to see it on the list, doesn't seem like Xykon's style... oh dear now I'm underestimating Xykon

Xykon doesn't want to die. A contingency that would port him to his planar fortress if he's near death would make sense for him. He has his phylactery as a backup, but having multiple backups to avoid the afterlife would be on brand for him.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Vizuyos posted:

Roy never actually beat Durkula, though. One-on-one in close combat, he could only really manage a draw. And the more conventional party battle encounter was a disaster for the Order.

Xykon doesn't seem have any spells that make the party make a Will Save, the Orders one true weakness.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Donkringel posted:

I wonder if Kraagor being a dwarf and all the dwarves getting turbo hosed by Hel has any part in convincing Serini.

Yes, she is brutally logical, but I think getting her to help the Order will involve getting some feelings shoved into her perfect equation.

I don't think Serini is coming at this from a place of logic at all. She saw her adventuring party break up under strain, and then they tried to protect the Gates but clearly all failed (or else the Order wouldn't be here now). She and her friends weren't powerful enough (or good enough friends) to work together to accomplish their goal, so she refuses to believe that anybody else could do it either. Which is another thing that makes her a good parallel to Redcloak - she's psychologically invested in not admitting that there's an alternative.

Dr Pepper posted:

Xykon doesn't seem have any spells that make the party make a Will Save, the Orders one true weakness.

I mean, from Xykon's perspective the main threat he faces is probably Redcloak, right? It's pointless to target the will save on a cleric.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Dr Pepper posted:

he has symbol of insanity!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

OK, so someone linking to an OotS page obviously triggered another archive binge (drat you) and I have a theory about the Snarl based on this page:

The gods (all of them, including the now-eradicated pantheon) created the Snarl while trying to create the first planet, right? Well, what if it wasn't really destroyed? What if the Snarl merely enveloped it? If this is the case, then the world within the Snarl is more real than the one the main characters inhabit because it is made from four quiddities instead of three (arguably there is something to be said there about it being fourth-dimensional like our world except that OotS is 2D), and the Snarl itself is arguably as powerful as four pantheons combined.

It could be a god in its own right after all this time, and the reason it eradicates anyone who touches the Gates is that it's protecting its turf. Or, if the first world really was destroyed, the Snarl might have created another one using its four-quiddity power. Either way, the Gates never seem to be all that dangerous unless you mess with them, like Laurin did, and alert the Snarl to your presence, in which case it starts wrecking face. But if you leave it alone then the rifts just kind of sit there, which suggests that whatever may have happened untold centuries ago, it's defending something now, not just lashing out in blind hostility. Though this has also been theorized to be because the remaining Gate is keeping it sort-of-bound, and we didn't ever get any follow-up on what happened after Laurin disturbed the Gate.

Even if the Snarl really would come out and destroy everything if all the Gates went down, I think it's plausible that there's going to be a twist of some kind where the first-created world still exists (perhaps cleansed of all life? Laurin did say there were no fish), or a new one was created by the Snarl, and what it's really doing is guarding it from intrusion. I think the first explanation would be more narratively satisfying barring exposition that reveals the Snarl to be more intelligent, but there's wiggle room in that third-hand scribble flashback. We can't say for certain that the four-quiddity world is really gone.

And obviously there's some parallels between real-life atheism and the concept of the Snarl denying the afterlife by consuming people's souls, if the Snarl world has any link to "our world."

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
OOTs is a 3 dimensional world. Just has width, height, time instead of width, height, depth. But every other point is good.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If oots doesnt have depth then how are there background gags, smart guy?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

OK, so someone linking to an OotS page obviously triggered another archive binge (drat you) and I have a theory about the Snarl based on this page:

The gods (all of them, including the now-eradicated pantheon) created the Snarl while trying to create the first planet, right? Well, what if it wasn't really destroyed? What if the Snarl merely enveloped it? If this is the case, then the world within the Snarl is more real than the one the main characters inhabit because it is made from four quiddities instead of three (arguably there is something to be said there about it being fourth-dimensional like our world except that OotS is 2D), and the Snarl itself is arguably as powerful as four pantheons combined.

It could be a god in its own right after all this time, and the reason it eradicates anyone who touches the Gates is that it's protecting its turf. Or, if the first world really was destroyed, the Snarl might have created another one using its four-quiddity power. Either way, the Gates never seem to be all that dangerous unless you mess with them, like Laurin did, and alert the Snarl to your presence, in which case it starts wrecking face. But if you leave it alone then the rifts just kind of sit there, which suggests that whatever may have happened untold centuries ago, it's defending something now, not just lashing out in blind hostility. Though this has also been theorized to be because the remaining Gate is keeping it sort-of-bound, and we didn't ever get any follow-up on what happened after Laurin disturbed the Gate.

Even if the Snarl really would come out and destroy everything if all the Gates went down, I think it's plausible that there's going to be a twist of some kind where the first-created world still exists (perhaps cleansed of all life? Laurin did say there were no fish), or a new one was created by the Snarl, and what it's really doing is guarding it from intrusion. I think the first explanation would be more narratively satisfying barring exposition that reveals the Snarl to be more intelligent, but there's wiggle room in that third-hand scribble flashback. We can't say for certain that the four-quiddity world is really gone.

And obviously there's some parallels between real-life atheism and the concept of the Snarl denying the afterlife by consuming people's souls, if the Snarl world has any link to "our world."

There us absolutely something more to the Snarl than what we've seen and been told thus far. I keep going back to the words of Odin's high priest at the Godsmoot: "I see worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn." The way it's phrased, it's clear that the Snarl is trying to do something with the fabric of its prison, but if it were simply trying to destroy it to break free, wouldn't "cutting" or "fraying" be more appropriate?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Who What Now posted:

If oots doesnt have depth then how are there background gags, smart guy?

By breaking the fourth wall, duh.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

There us absolutely something more to the Snarl than what we've seen and been told thus far. I keep going back to the words of Odin's high priest at the Godsmoot: "I see worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn." The way it's phrased, it's clear that the Snarl is trying to do something with the fabric of its prison, but if it were simply trying to destroy it to break free, wouldn't "cutting" or "fraying" be more appropriate?

I'm afrayed knot

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

By breaking the fourth wall, duh.

How are there more walls than dimensions :colbert:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Depth is a virtual dimension, clearly.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ragnar34 posted:

How are there more walls than dimensions :colbert:

How... how many walls does your three-dimensional house have?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's a fourth-dimensional house actually

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Just two, the inside and the outside.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Three, that's my point, you FOOL

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

girl dick energy posted:

Just two, the inside and the outside.

"Come Outside".

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Are people who live in yurts actually 0-dimensional beings?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

nimby posted:

Are people who live in yurts actually 0-dimensional beings?

They live in the ethereal plains.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

quote:

It's a fourth-dimensional house actually

If you add a ceiling, then saying your name backwards gets you locked out of the house.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gynovore posted:

"Come Outside".

That's one way to get put on a sex offender list.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nenonen posted:

They live in the ethereal plains.
:golfclap:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
But does your house have stairs?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Sky Shadowing posted:

But does your house have stairs?

I am protected against the terrible secret of three-dimensional space.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And Poorly Lit Signs

another talky catch up strip, but at least it feels like a final talky catch up strip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Granny was unusually quiet this time. Not sure if she is processing, detecting bluff, or an illusion she left behind while the real one makes its escape.