Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you must first read the post, then choose afterward whether to ignore or read the post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

“We take all the casualties, just send money and guns” are the golden magic words to say to US Policymakers.

The only political downsides come from dead Americans. Zero dead Americans? Motherfucker, here’s a billion dollars and everything we have short of a nuke.

Buddy, I've spent the last 20 years eating poo poo about America's foreign policy being too interventionist. Team America World Police! Dying For Bush's Oil Profits!

And rightfully. America's foreign policy has been too interventionist. gently caress the war in Iraq, gently caress the war in Afghanistan, gently caress the US embargo of Cuba. Mistakes all.

But dude. You can't spend 20 years making GBS threads on the US for sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong, then get all hurt that it doesn't want to start ww3. If there's a war that the US should remain non belligerent in, it's any war fighting Russia. And maybe China. Ok?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yeah, that's why people are posting links of dudes getting blown up, because they're trying to impress upon the thread the gravity of war

I'm at work, so I'm not in the market for gore links at the moment, and yet I still haven't seen it despite being in this thread too? Don't click the links? :shrug:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

deep dish peat moss posted:

My favorite part about that long SYSV Fanfic post is how it opens with "you know, you can just ignore posts you don't like" followed by a multiple-paragraph opinion piece about the kinds of posts the poster doesn't like

My favorite part was the weird :biotruths: thing randomly stuffed in there that seemed very Fight Club. Which actually makes a lot of sense coming from an 03' regdate.
Extremely burned out Gen X energy.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Gentlemen you can't post war footage in here! This is the war thread!

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Boba Pearl posted:

I would appreciate if you could explain to me why this is appropriate, and how this helps the thread have a more robust conversation about the War in Ukraine.

in a thread with hundreds of thousands of posts about horse cum, you pick these 3 to whine about

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Weekly reminder you can just ignore posts you don't agree with. You don't have to defend your posts. Example:

Hiroshima/Fire bombing of tokyo used to really bother me. Then I read about the breadth and depth of Japanese atrocities in China, atrocities against the residents of Guam, the rape of Manilla, the horrors visited upon the rest of the people of the Phillipines during the 1944 campaign, the murder of black workers on wake island, and any other number of horrific acts - such as lying about how women and children would be treated on saipan, leading to them jumping to death. Japan and the Japanese people worked very hard and very diligently to earn the lack of regard that lead to the bombs being dropped. I'm no longer bothered.

Not everyone deserves your empathy. Who gives a gently caress about soldiers that got blown up in their tanks/brakytared. At this point they all know what they're doing and what they're participating in. They can shoot their officers and camp on the roadside if they don't want to be complicit.

The world isn't a mental health support group and humans are just animals. Violence is part of our reality, especially the male human reality, and sometimes it's ok to celebrate it. Most of us have a really good limiter on when it's acceptable. If you feel good to see burning Russian tanks, and you aren't normally a violent person, it's because the people in those tanks are associated with something that flipped that switch. You don't have to justify feeling like they deserved it, because feeling that way/severing empathy is a normal human reaction.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Bluemillion posted:

:lmao:

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Bluemillion posted:

Ghost of Upstate
Aug 19, 2010

https://twitter.com/CanadaUN/status/1504464863510335488

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
People had not even linked the video in this thread... they were just talking about it, a thing that happened, and people still get upset about it like it's news to them that people die horrifically in wars

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
robust is a dum word for idiots

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Post more dead invaders

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i dunno if someone makes a big show all shouting "IM GONNA KILL YOU!!" then runs at you and trips and tazes their balls that's some funny poo poo

apply appropriate labels to balls and tazers etc etc

continue to break links on the real gory stuff though

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

:love:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
So I just wrote a national anthem for nationalists:

Country, Country, Country,
How I love my land
Country oh my Country
We invented airplanes and agriculture

Oh Country, my Country
Our President's an Ox
And our parliament is other
Assorted animals, perhaps from farms

Country, Country, Country
We make really good steel
Country Country
Country homecooked meal

Country, Be strong, Country
Land where I was born
Night becomes the morn
Our ladies are fertile
New Metro game in '23, most likely

(If someone wants to make this rhyme, have at it. I am busy with food now.)

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I've just kind of poked my head into this thread periodically looking for news on the war, what is even happening in here? extremely weirded out by the handful people enjoying seeing dead people. aggressors or not that's messed up

reminds me of the second iraq war except this time we're cheering for the deaths of the invaders instead of the invaded

so... progress?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pitdragon posted:

reminds me of the second iraq war except this time we're cheering for the deaths of the invaders instead of the invaded

so... progress?

It fucks me up too, but yeah.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

We're the first generation in existence to have the capacity to see atrocities committed halfway across the world live in our bedrooms at any hour of the night so there is no "right" or "wrong" way to feel about what you see in The Bad Videos, there is no precedent for it in human history and it is a brand new thing our brains are having to deal with for the first time ever, collectively. No human before modern times was ever able to witness awful humanitarian crisis unfiltered while also being physically nowhere near the events taking place. Making jokes and emotionally detaching are perfectly normal coping mechanisms for humans experiencing any kind of new or traumatic phenomena and no one should be made to feel bad for them.

Humans usually do not feel one pure emotion at a time but we talk about our feelings as if we do, and when someone says they "find joy" in watching soldiers die there's an incredibly good chance that they are feeling a lot more than just "joy". Their minds are scrambling to justify what they just saw. The justification comes first and the processing comes later. Just because someone said they found joy in watching The Bad Video of a Russian Tank Being Smoked does not mean that joy is the only thing they will continue to feel about it.

But just like with any hot take grim & controversial opinion, there's no reason to post in a public general discourse that you felt catharsis or joy or whatever when seeing russian soldiers die in The Bad Videos. You can feel things without telling strangers in a public space about your feelings, because in a public space, especially one with as many independent voices as "the internet", there is little to no perceived continuity to your feelings and the only thing representing you is the way you are saying you feel right now.

And on the flip side I have not watched any of The Bad Videos and let me tell you, it has been incredibly easy to avoid them. There's no reason to complain about them being posted as long as they are appropriately tagged :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 19, 2022

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

lol

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Pitdragon posted:

so... progress?

You were? Ew.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
:five:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Grape posted:

Ah neat, a thread stuffed full of far more grotesque sociopathic posts than the ones you were tut tutting earlier. Good rec.

Nah it's perfectly normal to go into Alex Jones style rants about how the glorious Russian army couldn't possibly be doing a war crime and every civilian killed is killed by an Azov false flag, and that anyone who think it's hosed up that Russia's invading and warcriming all over the place wants to hug and kiss Azov nazis.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Hiroshima/Fire bombing of tokyo used to really bother me. Then I read about the breadth and depth of Japanese atrocities in China, atrocities against the residents of Guam, the rape of Manilla, the horrors visited upon the rest of the people of the Phillipines during the 1944 campaign, the murder of black workers on wake island, and any other number of horrific acts - such as lying about how women and children would be treated on saipan, leading to them jumping to death. Japan and the Japanese people worked very hard and very diligently to earn the lack of regard that lead to the bombs being dropped. I'm no longer bothered.
very normal whataboutism

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Sentinel posted:

This invasion has been constant "I think ive seen 16 year olds make better plays playing paintball."
This world is strange.

To be fair, a lot of the Russian soldiers are also 16-year-olds, but they haven't played paintball.

Well, "18" but nobody cares to keep track at the 15-24 demographic too closely.

Joke Miriam posted:

So, Russia's "excuse" for this poo poo is that there's been "genocide" of people in the separatist areas.
Is there ANY truth to this? Or rather, what things are happening that they've interpreted as genocide for the sake of their casus belli?

I know there's been skirmishing along the border since 2014, is it just that? Has Ukraine been doing hosed up stuff? Countries in general are known to do hosed up stuff on occasion, such as Russia invading Ukraine right now being super hosed up.

I figure here's a good place to ask.

Russia claims to have suddenly found massive widespread genocide at the hands of nazis while doing their exercises, which were coincidentally on the border with Ukraine. Never mind that it's a contested region with constant skirmishes and both sides watching everything going on there, or that Russia never came forward sooner, or that Russia provided no evidence of said atrocities.

You can set aside the skirmishes, borders have those when they're not on friendly terms. But the claims were "genociding," "mass graves," and "nazis everywhere." The only evidence they could show were hastily buried bodies that had extremely dubious correlation to the allegations at best, and were probably skirmish collateral turned propaganda.

:drat:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hm it seems that war destroys our humanity or something. we're probably the first ones to notice this

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Xaintrailles posted:

You were? Ew.

Think he's referring to Americans in general.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Haha

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Tuesday and Thursday was boot camp. The other people in the class missed a few sessions, so there's some make up sessions which the trainer's invited me to. Of course, I will be taking advantage of that.

Weigh-in (04/12/13): 204 lbs

10min elliptical

Squat
5x80
5x90
5x100
5x110
5x120

DB Bench Press
5x40
5x45
5x50
5x55
5x60

Chin-ups
22x110
12x110

30min elliptical

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

deep dish peat moss posted:

We're the first generation in existence to have the capacity to see atrocities committed halfway across the world live in our bedrooms at any hour of the night so there is no "right" or "wrong" way to feel about what you see in The Bad Videos, there is no precedent for it in human history and it is a brand new thing our brains are having to deal with for the first time ever, collectively. No human before modern times was ever able to witness awful humanitarian crisis unfiltered while also being physically nowhere near the events taking place. Making jokes and emotionally detaching are perfectly normal coping mechanisms for humans experiencing any kind of new or traumatic phenomena and no one should be made to feel bad for them.

Humans usually do not feel one pure emotion at a time but we talk about our feelings as if we do, and when someone says they "find joy" in watching soldiers die there's an incredibly good chance that they are feeling a lot more than just "joy". Their minds are scrambling to justify what they just saw. The justification comes first and the processing comes later. Just because someone said they found joy in watching The Bad Video of a Russian Tank Being Smoked does not mean that joy is the only thing they will continue to feel about it.

But just like with any hot take grim & controversial opinion, there's no reason to post in a public general discourse that you felt catharsis or joy or whatever when seeing russian soldiers die in The Bad Videos. You can feel things without telling strangers in a public space about your feelings, because in a public space, especially one with as many independent voices as "the internet", there is little to no perceived continuity to your feelings and the only thing representing you is the way you are saying you feel right now.

And on the flip side I have not watched any of The Bad Videos and let me tell you, it has been incredibly easy to avoid them. There's no reason to complain about them being posted as long as they are appropriately tagged :shrug:

You spent 2 paragraphs making a good case for why all the "omg you monster how could you laugh at a tank getting NLAW'd" posts are off base... and then used your 3rd paragraph to (and let me know if I'm wrong here) very strongly imply that it was 100% reasonable to assume that the lol posts were made in actual pure malicious bloodlust :psyduck: I honestly feel like I'm misreading something.

Completely agree with paragraph 4 though, if you don't wanna see what's behind the link just don't click it, it's super simple stuff

Edit: if it makes any of the weirded out posters feel better, I (and I assume the other people who laugh at dead tanks) are feeling a sense of catharsis and powerlessness. I can't do poo poo about the tanks and artillery that are currently shelling maternity hospitals, so it's sorta nice to see that the people who can do something are doing something. it's always possible that the tank crew are just poor unlucky conscripts, but as long as they're crewing that tank, they're active invaders who are posing a lethal threat to a nation of millions and I refuse to feel bad about getting satisfaction out of them suddenly and decisively no longer being a threat:shrug:

grumplestiltzkin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 19, 2022

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/Kj5ppGr.mp4

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

:lmao:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:lol:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

grumplestiltzkin posted:

You spent 2 paragraphs making a good case for why all the "omg you monster how could you laugh at a tank getting NLAW'd" posts are off base... and then used your 3rd paragraph to (and let me know if I'm wrong here) very strongly imply that it was 100% reasonable to assume that the lol posts were made in actual pure malicious bloodlust :psyduck: I honestly feel like I'm misreading something.

Completely agree with paragraph 4 though, if you don't wanna see what's behind the link just don't click it, it's super simple stuff

Oh sorry, the 3rd paragraph is not about "lol" posts at all it's about posts like this one:

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Not everyone deserves your empathy. Who gives a gently caress about soldiers that got blown up in their tanks/brakytared. At this point they all know what they're doing and what they're participating in. They can shoot their officers and camp on the roadside if they don't want to be complicit.

The world isn't a mental health support group and humans are just animals. Violence is part of our reality, especially the male human reality, and sometimes it's ok to celebrate it. Most of us have a really good limiter on when it's acceptable. If you feel good to see burning Russian tanks, and you aren't normally a violent person, it's because the people in those tanks are associated with something that flipped that switch. You don't have to justify feeling like they deserved it, because feeling that way/severing empathy is a normal human reaction.

Quote 'em and say "lol" all you want but no one needs a detailed breakdown of why you love watching gore and violence. This poster is probably not a bloodthirsty malicious sociopath but by posting something like this on the internet that's all we're gonna see :shrug: People should keep those opinions to themselves because they are most likely passing or much more nuanced than they can explain in a single internet post.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 19, 2022