Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

syntaxfunction posted:

I never got hyped for it so I didn't get disappointed. I know it was buggy at launch, but I didn't play it much at all then (I didn't own it). Apparently everyone wanted it to be the everything game as usual. I think it works pretty well for a story driven RPG.

I dunno, I just wanted sci-fi shooties with a big world to wander in and some RPG stuff and it delivered pretty well so far.

Oh yeah, it's firmly okay to good, the internet got a little too angry about that one

But I do understand the last-gen players being pissed seeing as the game didn't work at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
yeah 2077 is good. for the first half i'd say it's very good, then kind of slides down to good.

probably depends what order you do stuff in.

looks cool. not too long. okay story.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Protagonist posted:

lol there are illusory walls in ER that take like

fifty hits to go down

lmao

Word going around is that they're not legit secrets, just remnants of cut content or improperly flagged walls.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

roomtone posted:

yeah 2077 is good. for the first half i'd say it's very good, then kind of slides down to good.

probably depends what order you do stuff in.

looks cool. not too long. okay story.

I was a bit miffed that they marketed the whole "branching story/multiple solutions" thing but only actually used the mechanic for the one tech demo misison and kinda played it linear from that point on but overall, decent game

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

John Murdoch posted:

Word going around is that they're not legit secrets, just remnants of cut content or improperly flagged walls.

but how can you knooOOooOooOoow

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

The Marauders in Doom Eternal were a terrible idea and the DLCs being worse-received just reinforces this belief. :colbert:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TheSwizzler posted:

git gud is dumb bullshit and 98% of reddit is lying about how easy any game is

Path of Exile is a good game balanced poorly around 3 AND EXACTLY 3 viable endgame builds

Elden Ring shouldn't have platforming the controls are upgraded from Souls to "barely playable" from "shopping cart simulator"

Input queuing is just trolling the player and appeals only to people who have nothing else going on in their lives

path of exile is balanced now???

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Marauders were tons of fun to fight in Doom Eternal

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
liar ahead

The Protagonist posted:

fifty hits to go down

lmao

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

try finger, but hole

https://twitter.com/IronPineapple_/status/1504890624507621377?s=20&t=JC-BfcavBrnT_2KLDP0jEw

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

fifty hits to go down

lmao

if this was ubisoft it would just be a door, who wants that

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Vic posted:

texture resolution

lol, somehow i think it's a little more complicated than 'texture resolution'.

IIRC Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games worked together to optimize their game engines in assembly language for the PS3.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Actually unpopular and probably bad opinion: For FPS keyboard and mouse is worse than a controller because it’s better. I don’t know how to explain it but it’s like using a mouse removes a key piece of abstraction. It feels too much like I’m just clicking my little mouse cursor over things like an excel sheet instead of “aiming” my gun. It makes me feel like I’m just selecting who to shoot rather than actually shooting them.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Actually unpopular and probably bad opinion: For FPS keyboard and mouse is worse than a controller because it’s better. I don’t know how to explain it but it’s like using a mouse removes a key piece of abstraction. It feels too much like I’m just clicking my little mouse cursor over things like an excel sheet instead of “aiming” my gun. It makes me feel like I’m just selecting who to shoot rather than actually shooting them.

i mean

go play a pc shooter with a controller no one is stopping you, hell, i encourage it

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

doesn't the f2p halo have significant aim assistance for controllers?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

galagazombie posted:

I'm with you, something about using a mouse makes me feel like I'm clicking icons on a desktop rather than playing a game.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
You could use a controller to play Morrowind on the XBOX video game console.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just puttin' that out there.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Morrowind rules hard and is the best elder scrolls game because you can make loving bonkers spells and enchanted equipment.

You can make a ring that shoots lockpick and open doors and cheats remotely.

You can stack booze effects and give yourself like a 2500 carry wt.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ooooohh, ok its in volcano Manor? Fine, yeah whatever. That's not weird then. They literally tell you there are secret walls, they make a huge thing out of it, and then they all look like that. And it's a non combat area, and really small, and those 50 hit ones just lead back to the start area. No harm. Weird that everyone in that thread is freaking out, in that specific location that's not wild at all.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The Protagonist posted:

i mean

go play a pc shooter with a controller no one is stopping you, hell, i encourage it

I actually do play Morrowind on PC with an Xbox style controller as God intended.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trollologist posted:

Morrowind rules hard and is the best elder scrolls game because you can make loving bonkers spells and enchanted equipment.

Actually, the best elder scrolls game is Elden Ring

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Thanks for reminding me ill hit 5000 hours on dota 2 this weekend

Malcom in the middle said that you only truly master something at 10,000 hours so at least ur halfway there

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Trollologist posted:

Morrowind rules hard

i need to find that trip report where the guy re-discovers the alchemy singularity and then goes and punches god so hard the game crashes

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I just wish morrowind wasnt made in the early 2000s

why are the "Make this game not play like poo poo with stupid UI" mods not on the front page of the nexus whatever?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hihohe posted:

why are the "Make this game not play like poo poo with stupid UI" mods not on the front page of the nexus whatever?

they got pushed out by all of the big titty mods and the "texture upscaling" mods that look like poo poo

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hihohe posted:

nah man. early 2000s and now looking like the 2020's are gonna be fire years for games.

Cheap enough to take a chance on interesting ideas, but easy enough to make a game look passable without having to hire 500 coders to polish master chief's rear end or some poo poo.

Postal 2
Morrowind
Half-life
Fallout
Starcraft
The list goes ON

They all came out when game design took a lot of chances and games all looked "meh, buh, yeah...pretty good"

Outward
Hellpoint
Fall guys
Splitgate
West of Dead

It's happening again, and I'm in love.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Im not saying Morrowind is bad because its old, Im just saying it suffers from early 3d game clunkiness ya know?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Basically all old games need fixed versions that only change to make the game accessible.

Like Open Rollercoaster Tycoon and Open Xcom. They change no core gameplay stuff but make it run exceedingly well and easier to handle.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hihohe posted:

Im not saying Morrowind is bad because its old, Im just saying it suffers from early 3d game clunkiness ya know?

The clunk is the junk in the trunk. Ya ah I me?

That poo poo is the raw iron that was forged and polished into the mass produced poo poo you get at target now. Sure, there's some QoL stuff that could make the game "better", but, it might also make it a little worse? Like fast travel. Oblivion had it, which makes riding the horse pointless (since I can just fast travel), and makes adventuring around also pointless (since I can just click where I need to go), which breaks flow and immersion and kind of makes the game suck a little. Like, Morrowind has fast travel (ish), but it's all some form of public transit, which makes overland travel something you have to do, so you have to explore the world, and now you want spells and gear to make that easier, and now you're building to do it and now you've got little personal side-goals that are unrelated to the plot and then it's been 50 hours of play and you forgot what any quests were because you were busy trying to build a belt that let you fly while stacking potions of movement speed to make it quick and look at you! You're doing it!

But also, it would have been nice if the polygon count for the entire game was in like, the double digits.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
The best Souls game was Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Seems to work in Windowed Mode just fine. GOTY edition anyway.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

galagazombie posted:

have fun with that, I'll keep using the mouse as look i guess

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sunset Overdrive would have been a very popular game if it wasn't a launch title on a garbage system.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vic posted:

AAA games now cost more than hollywood movies to make, and companies who make them are making them for the broadest possible audience leading to design by committee, yearly iteration crap.

None of those games are bad, it's what most players clearly want, I'd play them if I WASNT PLAYING ELDEN RING THE BEST GAME OF THE DECADE!

that's like saying "transformers movies are not bad, just look at the profits"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheSwizzler posted:

git gud is dumb bullshit and 98% of reddit is lying about how easy any game is

Path of Exile is a good game balanced poorly around 3 AND EXACTLY 3 viable endgame builds

Elden Ring shouldn't have platforming the controls are upgraded from Souls to "barely playable" from "shopping cart simulator"

Input queuing is just trolling the player and appeals only to people who have nothing else going on in their lives

Path of Exile has infinity viable endgame builds if use enough currency

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trollologist posted:

actually daggerfall is the best elder scrolls game, for exactly the same reason. they nerf the enchanting and magic creation system a little more every time they make a new elder scrolls

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
In TES 6 the only thing you'll be able to create with alchemy is healing potions, and players will still find a way to break the game with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

have fun with that, I'll keep using the mouse as look i guess

have fun hunching over a computer keyboard like an office worker, I'll be kicking my feet up and chillaxing like you should be when you play video games