Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Mexican hot chocolate has all kinds of spices in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Bremen posted:

Nice not at all suspicious long silence there, Guava!

At the risk of bringing whatever this was up, what was I being silent to, again?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

GuavaMoment posted:

At the risk of bringing whatever this was up, what was I being silent to, again?

Oh, I was just making a joke, but I meant 28:18 (Spoilers, Jade).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AradoBalanga posted:

I see that X-Com's messed up geography is still in play, as New Mexico has somehow merged with Louisiana judging by the facility location.

It's not New Mexico as in the US state, when Advent took over the Mexico region got expanded. There's New India and I believe a couple of others as well.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Bremen posted:

Oh yeah, big pause there trying to figure out what to say. Does he watch trailers? I don't know! What do I tell him?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bremen posted:

I have to say, I wasn't expecting Baby Yoda to show up in Picard. It's certainly an INTERESTING way to take Star Trek

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Veloxyll posted:

I have to say, I wasn't expecting Baby Yoda to show up in Picard. It's certainly an INTERESTING way to take Star Trek

Personally I'm glad the Andromeda Ascendant appeared with Rommie in charge.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I don't think anyone saw it coming when the starship turned into Starscream, though.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

We're getting close to the end of the game but since the Sun Station didn't hold the answers I was looking for I need to go find them elsewhere. There's not many places left to look so there's really only one place left to look for answers. Unfortunately it's guarded by bullshit so I hope you have some patience with me on this video!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

That was the one puzzle I looked up, because gently caress that puzzle. Also the way I solved it broke the way out and that confused the hell out of me too.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

kw0134 posted:

That was the one puzzle I looked up, because gently caress that puzzle. Also the way I solved it broke the way out and that confused the hell out of me too.

My first thought was the same as Jade's - we'd been told there was a grace period with the angle so it would take advantage of that. As opposed to the actual solution

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My reaction to most of the puzzles has been "throw myself at it and hope it works" so after just waiting didn't the actual answer was my second guess. I think it depends on noticing the alcove and parsing what it can do.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

My short term goal is to get to the south US region and take out the ADVENT facility there, but it's taking more time than I'd like and also more supplies too. I have a pretty big shopping list and not enough supplies for everything right away. I need to prioritize but also I need to get some supplies soon to keep up with the demands of the situation and also to build all the fun things Tygan researches for us.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Boy that bladestorm would have been really nice on your templar this mission. Odds on it never coming up again now that they have it?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bremen posted:

Boy that bladestorm would have been really nice on your templar this mission. Odds on it never coming up again now that they have it?

Considering the best place to put a Templar is right in the thick of things it will see some use. One of my favorite ways to prep for enemy reinforcements is to put a bladestorm templar in the center of the landing zone and wait for them to arrive.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Jake, I'm pretty sure that Hamburg is not in Finland.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cythereal posted:

Jake, I'm pretty sure that Hamburg is not in Finland.

Hamburg is where The Meat is

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I got Bladestorm on my Templar in my latest playthrough and I can see where all the love for it for rangers comes from! Even if ranger swords don't end up scaling super ridiculously like Templar attacks do through focus.

I feel like it's way more of an easy slam choice on templars and Skirmishers who get their own version of it since it isn't trying to compete against Implacable in their cases though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Shame Boy posted:

I got Bladestorm on my Templar in my latest playthrough and I can see where all the love for it for rangers comes from! Even if ranger swords don't end up scaling super ridiculously like Templar attacks do through focus.

I feel like it's way more of an easy slam choice on templars and Skirmishers who get their own version of it since it isn't trying to compete against Implacable in their cases though.

Bladestorm Implacable is another pairing I usually take both on, like First Aid Haywire. Both skills are really useful to have

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You know, Jason Vorhees rolling both Shadowstep and now Phantom feels a little too on the nose given his namesake.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

The Shame Boy posted:

I'm sorry... Compete again Implacable? I don't understand. This is what the training facility and ability points is for!

I should really just make a video for skill choices, but I'm lazy and was thinking I'd just get a colonel of each class to make illustration purposes easier and I don't have an extra save file laying around with a maxed roster.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Glad I showed up in the LP, now I get to hang out on the Avenger and say "well now there's your problem" all day

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Jade Star posted:

I'm sorry... Compete again Implacable? I don't understand. This is what the training facility and ability points is for!

Oh yeah, I guess it’s not really a choice anymore is it :v:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

We finally have the answers to everything that's going on. Or do we? All that's left is to grab a warp core and travel to the eye of the universe itself to finally understand everything.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

In the beginning, the Jade God looked upon the world He had created and said: "...aw crap..."

Also talking about long lasting Nomai equipment: Not only did their equipment last through the entire evolution of a new intelligent species from adorable little amphibians, but their statues could somehow interface with said new intelligent species' entirely different nervous system. Pretty crazy some space-deer statue could recognize a space-amphibian* as an intelligence, read it's mind/memories, re-implant them 22 minutes in the past over and over again. Nomai technology is obviously pretty wild.

*Well, barely space-amphibians. More would-have-been-space-amphibians-if-the-universe-had-just-given-them-a-chance.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Congratulations Jade, that was an experience you can't have again but I'm happy to have watched you go through it.

Lots of pointless philosphizing: this is a game about loss, and coming to grips with it. Your universe is dying; this is unavoidable and natural. Guava says you can live in the 22 minutes forever, but that's a trap akin to living in a happier past in your memories. It's the acceptance of your fate that lets you and the entire universe to move on to renewal. You were in a sense already dead -- the loops have happened unbeknownst to you for nine million times. What were you doing with that time? Does it matter? You got into your rocket for the very first time, flew around the system, then died when the sun exploded. Repeat with no knowledge of the fact that you have in fact it's not the first time you've awoken at the campfire ready to show up for the first day of space again. This is a stagnant existence of no consequence until you make the conscious decision to end the cycle. This is a joyfully melancholy game where all your potential as a person and a species is snuffed out nearly almost as soon as it starts. You'll never explore the galaxy as the Nomai have, but you'll have the privilege of making sure there will be someone there to explore the new universe you have observed being created. The loops end with a supernova, but you'll end all the loops with a Big Bang; both are explosions but one is an end, the other is a beginning. It's a beautiful symmetry.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You might even say your first approach was recklessly fast.

Jade, I have bad news about fish:

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 21, 2022

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jade Star posted:

We finally have the answers to everything that's going on. Or do we? All that's left is to grab a warp core and travel to the eye of the universe itself to finally understand everything.

kw0134 posted:

Lots of pointless philosphizing

It's not pointless, a pretty important topic to think about. We'll all have to at some point. My wife was pregnant when I played the base game, so the themes hit particularly hard at the end. I'll probably bring up your post next recording we do of the DLC so I can talk about the themes of the game in video.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

This all being said, I do wonder if it's technically possible to avert spacetime breaking if you never observe any evidence of yourself still being on Ash Twin. What we know of how quantum physics works in Outer Wilds is that spacetime is a very nebulous thing until observed. So couldn't it be said that you going back 22 minutes never happened if no one ever saw it happen?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Spacetime still breaks because it's not the observation that destroys it, but the causal impossibility of not having closed the temporal loop by not jumping in the black hole again. Past-you also counts as a conscious observer if we want to go that route as well.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Grab a snack and your favorite rootbeer because this episode is a long one.

There's a lot to do around the base and a lot of supplies needed to build everything we've got access to. The good news is that we're close to making contact with the southern US region and once we do that we can knock a good three pips off the doom tracker. Surely we wont run into and Unexpected Troubles there, right?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, that episode peaked early

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is a Guava grenade what happens when you put someone in cover behind a bulwark spark?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I am unsure if this has been brought up before, but what happens if the reaper gets damage during concealment i.e. an exploding car or near an ally when an enemy does an AOE attack? Does the reaper remain in cover, or is it broken?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I can't believe you forgot to make a promotion poster for Mox.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Thyrork posted:

Oh. What have we here; https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1346067153

Well its no bradford skyranger but its better then nothin' :getin:

Let there be meat.

Jade I literally posted a mod to let you do do the needful to the skyranger. So do it. :colbert:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Funny enough, whenever I see the Skyranger in the videos it makes me think of New Conglomerate from Planetside.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, does Ever Vigilant on a Sharpshooter apply to the sniper rifle or to the pistol? I know a few extra skills are limited to the rifle (as we saw in the vanilla XCom 2 LP, where Jade got Shredder on two of his Sharpshooters but it was only applied to the rifle), so I wonder if Ever Vigilant is the same deal or does that create some interesting shenanigans where you get an Overwatch shot with the more powerful sniper rifle despite dashing (and by the game's rules, should be a pistol Overwatch shot).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's the pistol. The skill is pretty much worthless on them. I guess it's better than the first level skill that requires you to get shot for a single attack with the weakest weapon in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

FoolyCharged posted:

It's the pistol. The skill is pretty much worthless on them. I guess it's better than the first level skill that requires you to get shot for a single attack with the weakest weapon in the game.

Yeah several game mechanics seem to have been designed with the assumption that the optimal tactic should be "never engage without high cover, and if you get a bad activation pull back to get average cover better than what the enemy can use; also spend at least half of your combat turns running away and/or hiding" but at some point someone remembered that would be really goddamn boring and spent the rest of development on giving the player reasons to take more risks instead of fewer, but those initial features never got reworked.

Like the ranger skill that makes you automatically hunker down, which accomplishes nothing unless your entire squad is also hunkering, because all it does is make the enemy shoot someone else.

Or suppression which simply does not work because the AI refuses to stay suppressed.

Like they started out thinking that the people who wanted an XCOM2 were the ones playing Long War and actually taking it seriously, and only changed their minds once playtesting showed that leads to a horrendously unfun game for masochists.