Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pilchenstein posted:

Ted Rall has to be among the least effective propagandists who have ever lived and no amount of Russian money behind him will make his terribly drawn "America bad" worse than any of the poo poo we regularly see in this thread demonising trans people, to give just one example.

what if his role was to discredit russian propagandists :tinfoil:

e: much as i discredit snipes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
As bad as Rall is I don't think having him in the thread is any more harmful that say, Branco, staff cartoonist for fascism weekly.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I don't think there's a harm in Ted either. He's extremely inept but if we considered competence a requirement this thread wouldn't exist

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

oh we should definitely get a rat-man who is thoroughly despised by his peers and audience alike to do state propaganda. it's so devious nobody will ever expect it. leftist groups will be rendered incapable of doing anything but argue among themselves over who hates ted rall the most

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Kellies Nomination: Worst Label

(I scrolled and I don't think anybody said it yet?!)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

VitalSigns posted:

And happily his first act as PM was to sack the guy who was in charge of the defense of Norway: First Lord of the Admiralty Winston Churchill

That's not how that works. That's not anything works.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Wait, I thought Carmen was supposed to be the last principled person in politics, now she's openly admitting she's only running to get perks?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh gently caress's sake are they back to this

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol: "Creeping Authoritarianism in Canada" :lol:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Vib Rib posted:

And it should surprise nobody that Lester's claim is false. There's still zero proof that the laptop is Hunter Biden's, since the information supposedly obtained from it could have been obtained from other sources.

Of course none of this matters to right wingers who will instead just assert that everything they said was totally true.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Ted Rall has to be among the least effective propagandists who have ever lived and no amount of Russian money behind him will make his terribly drawn "America bad" worse than any of the poo poo we regularly see in this thread demonising trans people, to give just one example.
The part of Rall's cartoons that makes me a little uneasy posting him here is the constant theme that democracy is worthless and No True Leftist should meaningfully engage, with the only alternative seemingly being to shitpost on the internet. Particularly because by posting it here I might be tripling his viewership.

But it's not an issue unique to Rall; most of the US left cartoonists have an issue with saying how everything sucks and will continue to suck harder so why bother with anything. It's really not a great message to be sending out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s a mark of the cynicism of the early 90s era when his brain crystalized. If you look at Life is Hell or other weekly freebie stuff from the same period, it’s all got that general feel. There wasn’t even really a left to speak of in that period and it seemed like the end of history would just leave the world in neoliberal stasis forever, and he’s still living there.

It’s why I have a hard time believing he’s actively collaborating with anyone to coordinate on a particular message. He’s a man out of time along with being so narcissistic and lazy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zelensky is getting your babies killed? AGC...?

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Clay Bennett

Steve Breen

Chris Britt

Tim Campbell

Stuart Carlson

Jeff Danziger

Al Goodwyn

Walt Handelsman

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Michael Ramirez

Marshall Ramsey

Rob Rogers

A rare miss from The Bee.

Drew Sheneman

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

Tony Branco

quote:

Snooze You Lose: Because Biden neglected his duties as leader of the Free World that position could be easily filled.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
From Breen?? Really?

lol what the gently caress

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

"Darn that Putin snake! He blew up my tiny campaign headquarters because I was annoying! Where is he?"

"Committing war crimes."

"If only I were in congress, I could get free hair cuts!"

Super great that Stantis' commentary on Ukraine consists of some snake showing up for two strips to be mean to his characters for no reason before loving off so that they could whine about it. Rall levels of self absorption.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Trapezium Dave posted:

The part of Rall's cartoons that makes me a little uneasy posting him here is the constant theme that democracy is worthless and No True Leftist should meaningfully engage, with the only alternative seemingly being to shitpost on the internet. Particularly because by posting it here I might be tripling his viewership.

But it's not an issue unique to Rall; most of the US left cartoonists have an issue with saying how everything sucks and will continue to suck harder so why bother with anything. It's really not a great message to be sending out.

Hirschmann describes it as the rhetoric of futility; a counterfactual argument against any form of social improvement that ruins discussion or engagement. He identified it in the emerging dittohead movement, but also described how it functioned among nominal progressives because it let them dismiss any possibility of improvement because it was less than the perfect outcome or reflected some compromise with reality or other polities.

It's also an explicit part of the goal of the overall Russian propaganda model.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 20, 2022

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Vib Rib posted:

Some "reporter" in the Whitehouse press briefing yesterday asked if Biden there is a conflict of interest in the sanctions, cause his son has allegedly got millions from Moscow. Same questions about China also.
Guess they are bringing it back

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I can’t any article from the NYT saying it was real, just 100 articles from right-wing news rags for some weird reason.

Also, lol at Fishman being like “Canada is creeping towards Authoritarianism, so they will definitely have emergency powers still in place two weeks from now.”

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!
So does Branco think that Leader of the Free World is just a title they give out like Times' Person of the Year?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Frostyhawk posted:

So does Branco think that Leader of the Free World is just a title they give out like Times' Person of the Year?

I hate to defend Branco but the "leader of the free world" office and desk in his cartoon is a metaphor for the title which, if not official, is often used colloquially to refer to the US president. His cartoon is saying that Zelenskyy is showing such good leadership and Biden such poor leadership that the former has taken the title from the latter

Anyway, let's just do a roll call here

✔️ bloody hands
✔️ empty thought bubble
✔️ sippy cup
✔️ Obamaprompter

hot drat another full house

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sorry I missed the whole discussion but I appreciate it. For me Rall is a propagandist since he works for a state apparatus. Descends Vox explains it better. Rall’s been one for as long as he’s been working for the Russian media. It suits his contrarian ways but it is even more blatant at the moment since everyone is pretty universal in condemning the war.

The conservative shits we get otherwise are propaganda in a conventional sense of pushing an ideology but not in a semantic sense since the state apparatus isn’t involved. I personally would call something like the BBC propaganda due to the way that it’s funded. As with anything it doesn’t mean you outright ignore it but you have to be aware of the biases at play.

We used to get the odd English language Chinese cartoonist. I wonder what they’re take is.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Canada: White people are allowed to go on a crime spree for three weeks, then asked to stop and arrested if they carry on for forty-eight hours past that mark.

US: Several states are currently in the process of outlawing gay people, trans people, abortions and assorted healthcare for women, and voting if you're black, with approximately zero federal pushback.

Conclusion: As a cishet white dude, only the former can be counted as authoritarian.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

kartikeya posted:

"Darn that Putin snake! He blew up my tiny campaign headquarters because I was annoying! Where is he?"

"Committing war crimes."

"If only I were in congress, I could get free hair cuts!"

Super great that Stantis' commentary on Ukraine consists of some snake showing up for two strips to be mean to his characters for no reason before loving off so that they could whine about it. Rall levels of self absorption.

Remember how they dealt with the refugee at the border, where they handed her over to the border guard so she could get help with processing...

She hasn't given a gently caress for a long time.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

PowerBeard posted:

Remember how they dealt with the refugee at the border, where they handed her over to the border guard so she could get help with processing...

She hasn't given a gently caress for a long time.

lol, it was even less effort than that. The two just stood there being vaguely concerned for a strip or two (the refugee was a hand literally reaching out to them for help the whole time) until the border guard showed up and hauled the refugee off with nary a protest from them. The most passive, useless protagonist lumps in any cartoon that has ever been drawn since the beginning of human existence.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There was another refugee arc involving a little girl in a ni'qab, who was also unceremoniously dropped once Stantis realized he couldn't possibly make his self-insert the good guy; maybe that was the one that had them actively hand her over to the border patrol?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Pants Donkey posted:

I can’t any article from the NYT saying it was real, just 100 articles from right-wing news rags for some weird reason.

I checked Google News because I was curious and wanted to see the non-right wing news sources for the story, and the top result was this Washington Post article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/18/forgotten-and-ignored-context-emergence-hunter-biden-laptop-story/

The article links this New York Times story:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/16/us/politics/hunter-biden-tax-bill-investigation.html

This part about 2/3 of the way down seems to be the basis for the right wing cartoons about "NYT admits the Hunter Biden laptop story was true!"

quote:

People familiar with the investigation said prosecutors had examined emails between Mr. Biden, Mr. Archer and others about Burisma and other foreign business activity. Those emails were obtained by The New York Times from a cache of files that appears to have come from a laptop abandoned by Mr. Biden in a Delaware repair shop. The email and others in the cache were authenticated by people familiar with them and with the investigation.

As the Washington Post article says, there's still a lot of unanswered questions about the whole thing, and the entire reason that the NYT didn't report on the files originally was because the origin of them seemed sketchy and they were trying to avoid falling into a disinformation campaign trap.

kartikeya posted:

lol, it was even less effort than that. The two just stood there being vaguely concerned for a strip or two (the refugee was a hand literally reaching out to them for help the whole time) until the border guard showed up and hauled the refugee off with nary a protest from them. The most passive, useless protagonist lumps in any cartoon that has ever been drawn since the beginning of human existence.

Here is the entire arc, I only remembered where it was because I was looking up a post in last year's thread the other week and I remembered I'd quoted the last strip from this sequence.

Oh yeah, for context, this sequence of strips ran in mid-October. I only mention this because about two weeks before that, there was the video of a border patrol agent on a horse whipping a Haitian immigrant with his reins.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Raised By Birds posted:

Rob Rogers

A rare miss from The Bee.

Aside from the USSR/Russia confusion, that's not a hammer and sickle so much as it's a sickle with a hammer-shaped protrusion on the blade.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Twelve by Pies posted:

Here is the entire arc, I only remembered where it was because I was looking up a post in last year's thread the other week and I remembered I'd quoted the last strip from this sequence.

Oh yeah, for context, this sequence of strips ran in mid-October. I only mention this because about two weeks before that, there was the video of a border patrol agent on a horse whipping a Haitian immigrant with his reins.

holy poo poo

did they think they were making some kind of deep statement by not showing the person's face at all? did they put any thought into if this was a good idea? do they ever think about anything ever?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I hate to defend Branco but the "leader of the free world" office and desk in his cartoon is a metaphor for the title which, if not official, is often used colloquially to refer to the US president. His cartoon is saying that Zelenskyy is showing such good leadership and Biden such poor leadership that the former has taken the title from the latter

Anyway, let's just do a roll call here

✔️ bloody hands
✔️ empty thought bubble
✔️ sippy cup
✔️ Obamaprompter

hot drat another full house

✔️ circling fly

Hadn't seen that one in a while! That was an Obama thing, right?

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 19, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I wonder if there's a Russian version of Rall.

A guy who makes antiwar cartoons and criticizes Putin and his own government's lies and hypocrisies, and even though he's kinda incompetent at it there's a Russian language cartoon forum somewhere where everyone's flipping out that he's a spy and a NATO propagandist and a blame-Russia-first fifth columnist etc

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I wonder if there's a Russian version of Rall.

A guy who makes antiwar cartoons and criticizes Putin and his own government's lies and hypocrisies, and even though he's kinda incompetent at it there's a Russian language cartoon forum somewhere where everyone's flipping out that he's a spy and a NATO propagandist and a blame-Russia-first fifth columnist etc

I don't know if you've noticed, but Russia has a slightly different approach to critical media than North America and the rest of Europe.

Also the American government is usually much less subtle in its way of destabilising countries.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It'd fit the Dugin model of propaganda to pay a Rall grade hack to be the only anti-Putin voice given a wide audience.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on three themes for this Friday night – While the BBC airs its annual humour-led fundraising show, the news elsewhere is no comic relief"

Telegraph:

P&O Ferries told it could face unlimited fine if sackings unlawful

Matt:

Independent:

After Howard Pyle.

The i paper:

Politoons 2022: I'm Not Sure This Is A Good Look For Satan

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait was he not full sovcit before?
Sovcit adjacent, but I don't recall the full-on "taxes violate the 5th amendment" nonsense before. Admittedly I try to avoid as much Garrison as I can outside of this thread, so maybe he's been calling himself "BEN; of the family GARRISON" and talking about gold fringe in his other rants.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

And like a lot of right wing talking points, it's recycled from things said about them in the last administration. I remember a fair amount "Trump isn't the leader of the free world" stuff, so inevitably we get "no u" in response (see also how much they loved quoting Obama saying "57 states" after Bush was made fun of for regularly saying dumb poo poo).

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I hope Garrison gets tased repeatedly, that is an activity all SovCits should experience.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

By popular demand posted:

I hope Garrison gets tased repeatedly, that is an activity all SovCits should experience.

He should try it on himself. Maybe his balls

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Sovcit stuff is always my favorite type of crazy because it's always something like "TOM of the family JONES avoided paying onerous taxes to THE QUEEN WHO OWNS ALL by sending a higgldy-piggledy to the Mayor of London on the seventeenth moon of their eclisiastic cycle. And it worked! Except for the fact that they were arrested, and jailed, and forced to pay the back taxes, and the fines, and were kicked in the balls for biting a bailiff and screaming that he just sucked out his soul. Buy my book for $49.99 plus $200 shipping and handling to lean my secret about how you, too, can never pay taxes again" and the first word out of their loving mouth is always "Do you take checks, or should I just send you the deed to my house?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That was a good Rall. Thank you Rall.