Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

How do you know who should be nimble and who should be battleforged?

Beyond what was said, some backgrounds lean towards one or the other too. Swordmaster will usually trend to Nimble because they have low fatigue and mediocre HP. Fatigue is the bigger problem because of heavier armor imparting such a huge fatigue penalty whereas you can get HP to acceptable levels (with colossus) such that their crazy baseline MAtk+MDef can carry them pretty far.

For a simpler system, a guy at 10-11 should have:

- 80+ HP with colossus, and the more the better. Colossus should really be taken on everyone because it's probably the best survivability perk in the tree that isn't indomitable on a bro who can use it regularly.

- 115+ fatigue, preferably >130 by 11.

Anyone under ~115 fatigue but 90+ HP is a good nimble candidate. Anyone under both 115 and 80 HP needs to have like 45+ MDef to even be worth keeping long term. Anyone with low fatigue but high HP and Initiative is a very likely nimble candidate as you can also add dodge to that mix.

Learning the baseline stat ranges of backgrounds is very useful in this regard, for example a Wildman and Farmer are both top of the fatigue list, but a wildman has better baseline stats in basically any other category but Init. Swordmasters are so far ahead on MAtk and MDef they can actually still be worth the low HP and Fatigue.

https://battlebrothers.fandom.com/wiki/Character_Backgrounds#Attr._Ranges

Peasant starts have to assess a bit differently but once you understand the baseline stats and how levelling up works per stat it's all the same idea.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
So I've vaguely known that there's a limit to how much you can have in your inventory, but I've never had an issue with it. Whenever I get the ambition to pay 4k for an inventory boost I'm like "why would I ever need that??"

And then today I was exploring and hitting ruins. Hit a real tough fight but pulled it out. Loot included a named item, holy smokes!!!! Click loot all, click end, realize it didn't grab the named item cause my inventory was too full and there's no way to get it back :911:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I should note I meant a very good brawler when I said a very good wildman, wrt to a nimble 2-hander. The -def on wildmen makes them way less likely to be suitable, I just confused the two.
If you're trying to have your first 2-hander in a company be nimble they need a ton of health, talent stars in health, matk, and mdef, and to have started with good resolve and fatigue so you don't have to spend level up points on them. It requires a decent amount of luck given the backgrounds you're hiring early on, but in my experience lets you gently caress around with riskier contracts in the same way a battleforged 2-hander can without needing expensive armor -- with the notable exception of goblins. Don't gently caress with goblins without a battleforged guy.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Ok I finally made a big boy into a battle forged two hand guy, and he's not the perfect build (and has a 2h mace instead of greatsword) but lmao he just smashes people to death in one hit, it rules

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
One of the things that a lot of people don't really realise is that it can be absolutely useful to have a dude who can only riposte every turn because his armours got him weighed down. He'll absolutely tank a bunch of shots for you and give you some extra turns to hit things more safely. Later on you can get dedicated monsters for that sort of thing, but early just chuck any old idiot in there.

Oath start is a good way to find that out. Usually the young bro you get isn't ready for the gear he's got.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

People are way too down on dodge here.

It's a big chunk of mdef, yeah it drops off but ask yourself when do you really need that mdef? It's at the start, when it gives it you.

Similarly, even when your fat out you still get a reasonable amount of mdef, the single most valuable stat in bb and one that scales hard.

Also as soon as you get colossus, dodge and 100ish armor youre good to two hand.

Also for nimble, on a guy you want to take forward and not some mid game filler - aim for 100hp, it makes such a huge difference.

Finally, a bunch of nothing but nimble guys can do basically the entire game outside maybe a couple of the end game fights. They are quick and cheap to put together and really effective.

Unless you get a combo of perfect bro and great armor, just nimble up the whole team until after the first crisis at the earliest.

Emandesunu
May 28, 2013
Also when you go nimble apparently you're supposed to stack up hp not fatigue?

Oops. I thought I needed more fatigue to keep my dodge high

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Emandesunu posted:

Also when you go nimble apparently you're supposed to stack up hp not fatigue?

Oops. I thought I needed more fatigue to keep my dodge high

View dodge as a lot of extra mdef when the lines clash and those few really important first turns and a smaller but still welcome amount for the clean up. That alone justifies picking it.

Don't build for it though it does it's important job just by existing.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm not super sold on stacking HP. You can't really outpace the escalating weapon damage outputs by leveling HP I don't think?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

No but there are breakpoints.

Do you die in 2 chosen hits or 3?

How many injuries do you pickup from that unhold fight?

Etc.

That make a big difference, either to your runs success or to how frustrated you get reloading.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah, just high HP isn't worth squat. But if you can get a frontliner to ~100 HP instead of 80, it removes the risk of being 1-shotted by chosen, orc mansplitters, lindwurms etc. Especially if you play Ironman (I don't, I'm not a masochist), as good as an elite bro with high MDef is, against some enemies he's only one 5% headshot away from mostly-dead.

Example, I just played a Barbarian King quest this evening. The king spawned as a named champ with a famed skull mace (the barbarian 2-handed mace). Had to play the fight 3 times cause the first couple he just 1-shot one or two of my frontliners early on. Upside, now I've got that mace, and it slaps. 76% armour ignore chance!

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Yeah you can never have too much HP. And I concur with the recommendation that most of your first 12 bros should be going nimble. Nimble + dodge is OP (don't level init though). BF kind of sucks until you get 300/300 armor. I hold off on even thinking about building a BF bro until I find a set of good armor, or until I'm willing to purchase some for a godly recruit who'd be wasted otherwise.

And early-game it's generally better to have 2-4 shield guys and the rest double-grip/2H, though the unshielded guys won't really be 'safe' until they have colossus and dodge. Only time I ever bust out shields on the whole frontline is when I'm going up against a bunch of bandit marksmen. Double-grip is better than it sounds (+25% damage) since it often results in bandits dying in one fewer hits. You can still do fine with a shieldwall ofc, 90% of the game is tactics and positioning.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Is it ever worth it to level initiative?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Star posted:

Memes

A fencer might, and might do well. But in optimal terms id rather tmhave a good 2 hander

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Memes

A fencer might, and might do well. But in optimal terms id rather tmhave a good 2 hander

Yeah, initiative is nice to have if your bro has a great starting roll and you give him a Hyena-pelt armour attachment to increase it. Note that heavy equipment will kill your initiative anyway. The only builds I'd ever increase Initiative for are Fencers (every level up) and dedicated nimble guys who want to use Overwhelm (typically swordlance or dagger). Both of those categories are really fun, interesting builds that critically open up new tactics. But I'm building maybe one of either in a game. Whereas at least 6-8 of my bros are classic battleforged 2-handers.

To chime in on the nimble thing, I don't really use it on frontliners. I get that some people say to build tempo in the early/mid game you build your first batch of frontline guys with nimble. I don't, I develop their fatigue and select the recruits with eventual battleforge in mind. And while their may be a period building towards the first crisis where my average frontline armour is still sub-200, when this is a slight disadvantage, a couple dagger parties on bandit leaders, or jumping another merc company, or even just buying 2-3 sets of banded mail, and suddenly I do have a battleforged frontline. And I find battleforged far safer and more reliable against end-game enemies than nimble.

Final note on 2-handers: I build all mine with Quick Hands, and I take the hit on fatigue to carry a 2-tile range weapon (like a billhook) in the bag. This lets you move one tile and strike 2 tiles away, massively extending your reach. Not only does this mean your frontliners are almost always in position to hit someone, it really lets you focus down dangerous or vulnerable targets. I can't recommend this approach highly enough.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Star posted:

Yes, overwhelm is incredibly important for dealing with strong enemies and some of them have decent initiative.

Also I'm pretty convinced an assassin with 90+ matk and 200 initiative with a legendary fencing sword is the strongest bro you can possibly make. The fucker I had could kill two orc warriors a turn.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Two hander with 2 reach in the pocket and quickhands should be a basic standard weapon loadout for everyone. It's real strong.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Yeah they tried to nerf that (at least the fatigue-neutral version) without messing up hybrids by making QH swaps cost 2 fatigue. But because of the way the game handles current fatigue when making an equipment change that affects max fatigue it would sometimes appear to cost 3 fat instead, so they just axed it. Glad they opted to do nothing instead of potentially breaking quickhands. The polearm in the pocket meta is OP but not crazily so like the old indom cycling.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah you do pay a penalty in that bags and belts doesn't affect two handers so you eat the 10-18 Fat of the weapon in the bags. For a lot of bros it's not killer but for some it means they'll get only 1-2 chances for AoE before they fatigue cap.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The Iron Oath just got an early access date in April and might be of some interest to players here. Merc management stuff with v cool pixel art

I think the Steam Festival demo might still be available to try, too.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
How is Wartales doing? I have it wishlisted, but last time I checked on it it was still a bit undercooked.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

wart ales, a medieval food poisoning and skin infection simulator

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

El Spamo posted:

How is Wartales doing? I have it wishlisted, but last time I checked on it it was still a bit undercooked.

Pretty well I think. It’s had two QoL/UI/gameplay feedback patches with some meaningful changes.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1527950/announcements/detail/4891470233634997467

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1527950/announcements/detail/3095664859880162024

And then later this month it’s getting it’s first content expansion.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Iron Oath Looks neat, but tried the demo and third tutorial fight crashed. Not great.

Little more time in the oven, yes.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Same!
Game's pretty brutal too, lots of darkest dungeon vibes but needs a LOT of tuning before it's on par with DD's balance.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Jumped back in with the new DLC. Less than 20 days in and a new bro gets brain damage. With him being level 2 and not particularly good at anything i decide to let him have a warrior's death and strip him down for next fight and send him to go absorb hits. He goes down but survives. I do it again for the next fight where he actually lands a punch before he goes down but survives. I take a long caravan quest and he completely heals up outside of his perm. Brain dmg. And I say gently caress it you can come along for the ride as long as you can stay alive and gear him up again with the basic Spearman poo poo.

I look at his stats again and he has the "strong"characteristic. So extra hit points. Does that make him harder to outright kill? Cuz he refused to die despite being stabbed and bludgeoned while naked with half a brain.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

EmbryoSteve posted:

Jumped back in with the new DLC. Less than 20 days in and a new bro gets brain damage. With him being level 2 and not particularly good at anything i decide to let him have a warrior's death and strip him down for next fight and send him to go absorb hits. He goes down but survives. I do it again for the next fight where he actually lands a punch before he goes down but survives. I take a long caravan quest and he completely heals up outside of his perm. Brain dmg. And I say gently caress it you can come along for the ride as long as you can stay alive and gear him up again with the basic Spearman poo poo.

I look at his stats again and he has the "strong"characteristic. So extra hit points. Does that make him harder to outright kill? Cuz he refused to die despite being stabbed and bludgeoned while naked with half a brain.

Strong doesn't effect it. The only trait that does is Survivor (not counting some event/origin specific traits) which gives a bro a 90% chance to survive as long as they don't die to a head hit. Surviving three times is very rare but not impossible without the survivor trait. However, he should have three permanent injuries since getting downed always gives one.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Count Uvula posted:

Strong doesn't effect it. The only trait that does is Survivor (not counting some event/origin specific traits) which gives a bro a 90% chance to survive as long as they don't die to a head hit. Surviving three times is very rare but not impossible without the survivor trait. However, he should have three permanent injuries since getting downed always gives one.

hmm i know he was missing an ear. ill have to check what the other injury was

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You were a bit hasty to try get him killed tbh, brain damage is like basically a non-issue. Hell, it can even be beneficial if the bro had decent resolve to begin with, since the resolve bonus will make them good sergeant/bannerman material. :v:

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
I think I have picked a bit of a crazy time to start playing and look for a guide, given the new DLC.

Also even before the DLC, various Perk Tier lists from YouTubers are diametrically opposed.

How much of this game is hard science and how much is gut feeling with character builds?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Brain Damage is literally a buff.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You don't gotta be smart to fight, man. The thinking is for the commander. Don't throw away your brain damaged goobers.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I got this about a week ago, with no paid DLC. Is the game just kind of plotless wandering around, or did I miss something? I am around day... 45 or so and just wandering around from town to town completing quests. Also, is there a way to repair gear that people are wearing when at a weaponsmith/armorsmith? They can repair gear in inventory, but it seems kind of tedious to undress everyone.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Pain of Mind posted:

I got this about a week ago, with no paid DLC. Is the game just kind of plotless wandering around, or did I miss something? I am around day... 45 or so and just wandering around from town to town completing quests. Also, is there a way to repair gear that people are wearing when at a weaponsmith/armorsmith? They can repair gear in inventory, but it seems kind of tedious to undress everyone.

You work your way up the best you can in the limited time that's leading up to the end-game crisis. There are different ones you can select at the beginning or have it be random. Also, you don't have to end it then and can play as long as you want, exploring further out challenges on the map. If you played through that and want more, you can expand to DLCs. After you get bored with that you can expand to mods such as BB Legends that offer more challenges and different types of starts and mechanics.

Gear that people are wearing is repaired if you have tools, you don't have to undress anyone.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 19, 2022

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Are there any mods confirmed broken? Something in my list is messing up but I'm not sure which

edit: RIP Better Quartermaster

8 Ball fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 19, 2022

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Rad Russian posted:

Gear that people are wearing is repaired if you have tools, you don't have to undress anyone.

I think the first goon is asking if you can do the instant repair at a smithy for items your characters are currently wearing, rather than undressing them, repairing in inventory and re-equipping.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Molybdenum posted:

I think the first goon is asking if you can do the instant repair at a smithy for items your characters are currently wearing, rather than undressing them, repairing in inventory and re-equipping.

You can instant repair at a smithy??

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It takes a good chunk of cash so I rarely do, but yes.

Had a mission turn in I've never seen before where I used a spider corpse to gently caress with the quest giver. That was pretty drat funny.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Pain of Mind posted:

You have to undress them to insta-repair. I do it if I'm flush with cash and don't want to/can't wait before taking on the next combat.

But once I have a cart and thus the space to store some extra armors, I just swap 'em out and use tools to repair over time. It doesn't take that long for most armors. I almost never use the smithy to repair weapons. I guess I've done it when I've taken a "defend the town" mission and I know there's at least one and possibly two more combats before it's complete and I also don't have a spare weapon for the dude in question.

I'm currently playing through an old save I made before I started to understand most of the mechanics and for some reason I've been able to find three sets of noble armor for reasonable prices; two at a town with the "allied" relationship. Throw some +40 durability/-4 fatigue attachments on it and even my low-fatigue bros can survive for a while on the front line. It's probably not going to work late-game unless I find a guy I want to make into a duelist, but on one set I added the unhold bone attachment and I like that armor an awful lot.

In other news, apparently I was playing the game in an impaired state and somehow both accidentally chose "get to glorious renown" ambition and also didn't realize that I'd done it until a couple of saves later. I was about 1000 renown points away at the time, and 875 when I realized it. I'm terribly sorry you're all disappointed in my leadership; perhaps this alcohol will improve your mood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I've been doing the new Oathtakers company. I find the start quite easy, your two bros are unusual and not that suitable for frontline builds, but the good armour they come with makes it all manageable. The vows aren't quite as rapidly snow-ball-able as ambitions, but by gaming them a bit you can yield solid results.

I'm through to the late/post-game and for once I've decided to stick with it and actually do the legendary locations. Haven't found that blasted Ijirok yet (it's by far the easiest) but with the vow of +resolve and Attack/Defence against undead up, and a good round of pre-battle potions, and 3-4 false attempts, I managed to clear out the Sunken Library. Very interesting fight. Cost me two good Level 13-16 type frontliners, but I felt that was a fitting tribute and I shouldn't go back and try again for no losses.

Currently trying to hunt down the Ijirok and get a couple more Unhold hides so I can do the Kraken (found that location). Can see the witch hut as well, might do that although I can't stand hexen en masse.

I feel like Goblin city and Black Monolith might be the overall hardest? But OTOH I go through ~30 goblins or ancient dead like no-one's business.

I think my main issue with the tactics of the game at this point is how dominant I find frontline, heavily-armoured 2-handers with QH and reach weapons. Like I've got my original starting Sgt for gheists, I made a second 'utility' Sgt specifically to QH throwables etc, but I'm considering sacking him. I have an archer-thrower who honestly I'm not sure I need, given how fast I can go through all the game's really snipable enemies. I have two thrower/melee duelists, who to be fair I absolutely love. I have 2 tanks that honestly I'm not even sure I need. Oh, and I have one fencer, who is fun, but honestly I could go through all the enemies he goes through with my standard frontliners.

Seriously considering sacking my 2nd Sgt, my archer/thrower, and both tanks. Keep the fencer for a laugh and the throwers cause they're awesome. Then just take 14 2-handers? I could give some of them indomitable since the only real play my tanks see is against unholds or hordes of orc young (but the latter I can just go through manually).