Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

drat.

That ESPN commercial was a top 5 all time.

https://twitter.com/DVNJr/status/1504996230849564672?t=-reT5Lx3IzXVZE9qODtjmA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Aw hell this isn't fun offseason news :(

:rip: You were a for real Slayer fan in my mind.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Aw hell this isn't fun offseason news :(

:rip: You were a for real Slayer fan in my mind.

https://twitter.com/BrianMFloyd/status/1504998938801147905

getting this feeling we're only gonna remember him for slayer

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

He was only 67 or 68.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vertical Lime posted:

getting this feeling we're only gonna remember him for slayer

Everything else was just competent not over the top NFL reporting so it's what we latch on to I guess.

Like, the guy was good at his job and not an rear end in a top hat as far a I can tell.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

If the rumor that he's looking at an eight game suspension is true... I mean Case keenum is good but missing your starting quarterback after leveraging that much in assets to get him isn't a great start to a season when you're all in.

Especially when the whole argument for doing this seemed to be that the Browns were in some kind of win now window and they couldn't wait a year to get through a terrible QB class. That's at least how the only people I know who wanted this were defending it.

But it makes zero loving sense if he ends up serving 8 games. It also makes the win now self fulfilling because the loving guaranteed money in that contract is gonna gently caress them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Raku posted:

The year is 2023. Tom Brady is the only thing standing between the Cleveland Browns and a Superbowl. TFF stands before the Lord, ready to be judged.
Amazing. I just had to explain this whole thing to my football-ignorant wife because she couldnt understand why I was laughing so hard.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

wilderthanmild posted:

Especially when the whole argument for doing this seemed to be that the Browns were in some kind of win now window and they couldn't wait a year to get through a terrible QB class. That's at least how the only people I know who wanted this were defending it.

But it makes zero loving sense if he ends up serving 8 games. It also makes the win now self fulfilling because the loving guaranteed money in that contract is gonna gently caress them.

He's 26. QBs play at a high level well into their 30s.

Deshaun is a piece of poo poo human being.

The most important piece of any football team is the quarterback. The Rams have shown you can build consistently good teams without first round picks.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't think he'd be allowed to practice with the team for any suspension too, so even getting half a season out of him seems hard to do if the 8 games thing is correct.

You can give him a playbook but you can't let him throw to guys or get to really know them on the field.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'd like to paint y'all a mental picture.

It's November, Watson suits up for his first game. He gets sacked by someone who proceeds to do a loving you in the rear end celebration over a prone Watson.

Thank you.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kalli posted:

I'd like to paint y'all a mental picture.

It's November, Watson suits up for his first game. He gets sacked by someone who proceeds to do a loving you in the rear end celebration over a prone Watson.

Thank you.

The crowd erupts, cheering. Moods shift fast when a flag is on the field.

"Unsportsmanlike conduct" on the defender. The ref proceeds to pantomime a gavel gesture.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So Baker buddy hey no hard feelings about the Watson thing right? Listen we need somebody to start up until the trade deadline while the whole suspension thing is happening...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grittybeard posted:

I don't think he'd be allowed to practice with the team for any suspension too, so even getting half a season out of him seems hard to do if the 8 games thing is correct.

You can give him a playbook but you can't let him throw to guys or get to really know them on the field.
I think he would still get to participate in training camp and preseason. I think Tom had a normal off-season the year he was suspended the first 4 games because of his ball deflating. So yeah he's go 8 weeks or whatever without practicing but it's not like he would have never thrown a pass to his receivers.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

During the season, suspended players are totally locked out of everything. But they can fully participate in the preseason, and I think they can even play in preseason games.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Forrest on Fire posted:

The crowd erupts, cheering. Moods shift fast when a flag is on the field.

"Unsportsmanlike conduct" on the defender. The ref proceeds to pantomime a gavel gesture.

“I just want to apologize to our viewers for airing that disgusting act…”

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
RIP to a real one. Just listened to him the other day :smith:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The ATN podcast guys aren’t having the Watson poo poo at all. Hoo boy

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Ornery and Hornery posted:

He's 26. QBs play at a high level well into their 30s.

Deshaun is a piece of poo poo human being.

The most important piece of any football team is the quarterback. The Rams have shown you can build consistently good teams without first round picks.

I don't think that having a QB guaranteed all of a 230 million dollar contract seems like a good start for maintaining a team primarily via free agency. I've always thought one of the givens of these big contract guys was that you needed to hit on some of your premium draft picks to offset the high cost.

I'm not saying they have doomed themselves, but more that if this doesn't pay off for them this year, they might be stuck in a weird place where they have a QB and have trouble getting weapons around him or a defense across from him. At least in the near term.

Like it's the most Browns way to sell your soul.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

That seriously bums me out. RIP. :smith:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Hughmoris posted:

That seriously bums me out. RIP. :smith:

For real. Reading all the stuff on Twitter, I didn't realize how beloved he was by his colleagues and how great he was to young reporters trying to get a foot in the door.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Oh no not Clayton :smith:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

wandler20 posted:

For real. Reading all the stuff on Twitter, I didn't realize how beloved he was by his colleagues and how great he was to young reporters trying to get a foot in the door.

Case in point:

https://twitter.com/MikeDugar/status/1504999783366201345?t=S77UYmTSxHH3bfRL_iUOpg&s=19

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

If the rumor that he's looking at an eight game suspension is true... I mean Case keenum is good but missing your starting quarterback after leveraging that much in assets to get him isn't a great start to a season when you're all in.

it literally only gets worse from there. like starting the clock and then sitting down for a year

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm preparing myself for Collinsworth to use "off the field stuff" again a bunch next season

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

wilderthanmild posted:

I don't think that having a QB guaranteed all of a 230 million dollar contract seems like a good start for maintaining a team primarily via free agency. I've always thought one of the givens of these big contract guys was that you needed to hit on some of your premium draft picks to offset the high cost.

I'm not saying they have doomed themselves, but more that if this doesn't pay off for them this year, they might be stuck in a weird place where they have a QB and have trouble getting weapons around him or a defense across from him. At least in the near term.

Like it's the most Browns way to sell your soul.

I get where your coming from but it's still worth it for a great (at playing sport) (huge piece of poo poo sexual assaulter) qb because qbs are just that valuable. The Browns have, on the whole, a great roster. The missing piece was QB. They now have a legit chance of superbowling. Are they the fave to represent the AFC? Of course not, there's a bunch of great AFC teams and playoffs are chaotic best of ones in a chaotic sport. But there's a solid chance. They basically had zero chance with Baker.

Re: Picks - They just have to build a good team without first round picks. That's harder to do, but it's not impossible if you are smart with your existing players and with FAs. And even if the Browns lack of firsts does sap their team, it's still only three seasons without first round picks. Watson is 26 now. There's plenty of time after his age 29 season to build up.

Re: Cash - That's the cost of doing business with QBs. Salary caps will continue to rise, teams are recognizing the value of qbs, and the next qb up for contracts will continue the upward trend of big paydays. Another thing about cost of qbs is that it's roughly a non-factor in the playoffs. Why? Because most of the teams in the playoffs are the teams with great QBs, who will also be paying their QB large sums of money. Obviously you have situations where QBs play on rookie contracts which is a big advantage. The guaranteed also doesn't matter. The team isn't going to cut this piece of poo poo QB Watson so long as he's good at football. But if he does get cut, then who cares about the dead money for a brief period of time? In that scenario the Browns don't have a QB so they will suck anyway.

Tim Whatley posted:

I'm preparing myself for Collinsworth to use "off the field stuff" again a bunch next season

Yeah. I'm bracing myself for announcers using "distractions".

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm still really having a hard time swallowing that Baker, after getting the Browns their first playoff win in forever, played through injuries for basically the entire season, probably at fairly significant cost and great discomfort to himself and the Browns rewarded him by basically saying he's less of an adult than a loving sex criminal and now they're kicking him out the door. The more I think about it, the more it bothers me.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

John Clayton was a big part of my Seattle sports radio listening in the past decade. I would put his shows (or segments) on in the background whenever I did work.

It’s surreal that I won’t be able to listen to him any more. He took a rare sick day the other week and now he’s gone like that. RIP professor, I’ll always cherish listening to you.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Wiltsghost posted:

Saw the Chiefs got Juju. He good anymore?

He's really good and I'm sad he's gone.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm seriously bummed out about John Clayton

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Burn the Browns organization to the loving ground

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

a neat cape posted:

I'm seriously bummed out about John Clayton

Same - the commercials he did were amazing.

Edit: His reporting was great too of course. I just always appreciate when people have brevity and don't take themselves seriously.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 19, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Amari Cooper is gonna get covid again. I can feel it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Amari Cooper is gonna get covid again. I can feel it.

It’s a good thing the NFL stopped testing for it conveniently when the playoffs started.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1505108911233372160?s=20&t=jqP-RHqIxO8ah5aM6VNi0Q

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

MJeff posted:

I'm still really having a hard time swallowing that Baker, after getting the Browns their first playoff win in forever, played through injuries for basically the entire season, probably at fairly significant cost and great discomfort to himself and the Browns rewarded him by basically saying he's less of an adult than a loving sex criminal and now they're kicking him out the door. The more I think about it, the more it bothers me.

It's pretty lovely of them!

Dude helped to make the Browns relevant in the first time in ages, and that's how they treat him

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
John Clayton was great. True pillar of the Seattle sports scene, and apparently just a great guy all around. Beautiful tributes to him all over twitter. Apparently leaves behind a beloved wife who suffers from MS, what a horrible turn of events.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

RIP Clayton. That one stings.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Why couldn't it be Schefter.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Why couldn't it be Schefter.

Schefter will have a scheduled tweet ready to go the next morning the night he dies.