Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

There's a lot of disgruntled divorcee energy in that post, but he seems right? Unless there's abuse concerns or something both parents should probably be copied on any e-mails from a teacher if they want to be.

e: Admittedly I'm that person that will CC anyone who might care on e-mail replies.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA I sold my bedroom set, roommate feel entitled to the money

quote:

Two weeks ago I decided to sell my 3-year old bedroom set (dresser, night tables and small desk) because it's too big for the room I moved into 4 months ago. My roommate was admiring it as I took photos to post for sale, and I said, "listen, if you want it, you can have it" thinking it would be easier to just give it to her, rather than spend time fielding inquiries and dealing with potential buyers. Basically I just needed to get it out of my room so I could buy something that would work better. She said no, she had no room either, and I should just sell it.

The bedroom set sold for $700 after about 11 days and all the hassle one deals with when selling stuff—folks who dont show up or call, offers that are then rescinded, people haggling for you to sell it for $50, that kind of thing.

Yesterday after the buyers picked up the furniture and gave me the payment, my room mate made some weird hrumph sound and walked out of the room. I gave it no mind until she sent me a text a couple hours later asking if I wanted to pay her through Venmo or PayPal. I called her on the phone because I was completely perplexed. It turns out she felt because I offered her the furniture for free that I intended to make a gift of it to her, and when she told me to "just sell it" it was with her understanding that I was selling it on behalf of her.

I'm no lawyer, but in law there is a stipulation that the parties have to come to a 'meeting of minds' when it comes to contracts (which is what she suggests this is) and that I breached the contract and therefore owe her the money.

AITA?

Every time I think I've seen the dumbest grift

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

carry on then posted:

if it was a bottom tier android phone, maybe, but most mid tier and above phones can sense depth and aren't fooled by a photo

Last time I checked, which was a few years ago so it’s entirely possible this has changed, you need a printout of somebody’s face with a pair of contact lenses placed on top of the eyes to fool the recognition

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

AceClown posted:

lmao hes a military guy working with some of the nastiest bio weapons ever developed, he'll be lucky if that's the worst of what happens

He’s an army chem corps officer which is generally where they put the bigger officer dipshits. They don’t generally do anything important in practice.

Join the army and not only work for people like him but let them have 100% control of your entire life!

Also he posted questions about abusing pills on the same account a few years ago now part of his job is kicking out joes for smoking weed once jfc

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 19, 2022

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

ghost emoji posted:

Glad you got out of that. It sounds like straight-up torture.

Thanks, it was awful but I'm in a much better and healthier place now - the only one depriving me of sleep is my baby but she can't help that.

I do wish I had learned sooner that if it sucks you can just hit da bricks without giving anyone a reason or having to argue your case to leave though.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

ghost emoji posted:

Wife [28F] won't let me [28M] sleep.[new] (self.relationships)

give me your sleep schedule

Turns out that wife's previous job was working as an interrogator for a CIA black site.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:stwoon:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

"Babe, you gotta give all this drippini poo poo a break, please."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That Homer eating donuts in hell gif, except with me and pasta

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I would eat myself into an early grave. Faster than I am now, I mean.

Neito posted:

with my love abus knuck tats,

That’s a common misconception, but but LOVE ABUS knuckle tats are just a sign of a recreational lock picker who’s a glutton for punishment.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

AceClown posted:

CatFancier4393 commented on why "Women and Children first" ? in r/TooAfraidToAsk

CatFancier4393 -4 points · 15 days ago
So the men can have some peace and quiet while they think of a solution.

Dudes that get upset by this principle might feel better if they actually looked into it instead of just getting mad about some nearly mythical female privilege.

The first well publicized case of "women and children first" was in the 1850s, on a British naval ship. There weren't very many women and children there in the first place, and there were actually a couple of extra boats on board that failed to launch correctly. Some of the men managed to swim to shore and others survived by clinging to the wreckage, but both of those things would have been impossible for women in Ye Olde Time Clothes and little kids. Then Rudyard Kipling wrote a loving poem about it and everyone praised the men on the ship enough that the concept became something to aspire to.

It was always a more of an ideal than a thing that happened consistently in practice, and Titanic is the only other really well-known example (and after that ships were supposed to have enough lifeboats). So the women of 100+ years ago got maybe sixty years of being prioritized if the men on any particular sinking ship decided to handle things that way.

I've read enough accounts of age-of-sail wrecks to know that women in a more typical shipwreck/castaway situation dealt with some of the worst things that can happen when a traditional sense of order breaks down. And if you look into the survival statistics for that kind of wreck, they tend to break down into the people with the most power on a ship having the best chance to make it out alive. But some guys want to whine about the few high-profile exceptions as if those mean much in terms of the wider history of how women were treated both on the sea and off it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

deety posted:

Dudes that get upset by this principle might feel better if they actually looked into it instead of just getting mad about some nearly mythical female privilege.

The first well publicized case of "women and children first" was in the 1850s, on a British naval ship. There weren't very many women and children there in the first place, and there were actually a couple of extra boats on board that failed to launch correctly. Some of the men managed to swim to shore and others survived by clinging to the wreckage, but both of those things would have been impossible for women in Ye Olde Time Clothes and little kids. Then Rudyard Kipling wrote a loving poem about it and everyone praised the men on the ship enough that the concept became something to aspire to.

It was always a more of an ideal than a thing that happened consistently in practice, and Titanic is the only other really well-known example (and after that ships were supposed to have enough lifeboats). So the women of 100+ years ago got maybe sixty years of being prioritized if the men on any particular sinking ship decided to handle things that way.

I've read enough accounts of age-of-sail wrecks to know that women in a more typical shipwreck/castaway situation dealt with some of the worst things that can happen when a traditional sense of order breaks down. And if you look into the survival statistics for that kind of wreck, they tend to break down into the people with the most power on a ship having the best chance to make it out alive. But some guys want to whine about the few high-profile exceptions as if those mean much in terms of the wider history of how women were treated both on the sea and off it.

One of my male friends lament the fact that he wasn't born a "hot woman." because he points out all the money he'd be making by being a sugar baby and fleecing older dudes, and generally getting guys to buy him everything. Good luck explaining to him how it really works being a woman.

AITA for leaving without my wife after she tried making my son eat food he didn't want?

quote:

Our son(10M) is a very picky eater. There are a few foods that he loves to eat such as pizza, chicken, steak, and pasta. He is working with someone that is helping him try new foods. My wife(41F) wishes that he wasn't picky, but I(42M) don't see any problems. There have been concerns in the past from family members that son was underweight. My son is at a good weight according to his doctor.

We went to my in-law's house for a St. Patrick's party. I brought a small dish of Mac and Cheese for son to have for dinner as he didn't want to have the corned beef. I noticed my wife and her mother looking at son and having a private conversation. When it was time for dinner, I put son's meal on his plate and my wife grabbed the plate. She threw the food into the trash and put some corned beef and cabbage on the plate. Son starts to get upset and pushes the plate away. I looked at wife and say Are you serious? He didn't want any of the corned beef, that is why I brought the mac and cheese.

She looks back at me with a smile and says Well, he needs to try new things and he might like the corned beef. Son whispers to me that he felt sick and wanted to go home. I told wife that we were leaving and would see her at home. Her sister dropped her off at the house and she came storming inside, screaming at me that I am the one at fault for not wanting son to try new foods. We aren't speaking to one another right now and I have been receiving unpleasant texts from her family.

AITA for leaving without my wife after she tried making my son eat food he didn't want?

No indication if the kid has sensory issues but I am wondering what else the kid eats.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 19, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Cowslips Warren posted:

No indication if the kid has sensory issues but I am wondering what else the kid eats.

I'm getting big time unreliable narrator bad parent vibes from the op

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Regardless I think corned beef and cabbage is Not a good choice to try and break your kid's picky eating

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If mealtime is a negotiation and your kid doesn’t have a valid medical reason for it then you have failed as a parent. I don’t over feed my kids, and they know that is the issue is that they just aren’t hungry I won’t make them eat. They are allowed to leave as much of the carbs on the plate as they wish. If they won’t eat their protein and vegetables, it becomes their breakfast the next day. I have only had to do that a handful of times though, because my kids like vegetables and fruits since everyone in the house eats them at every meal, excepting vegetables with breakfast.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My(28m) sister(30f) asked me to keep my same sex relationship DL at her wedding and to not tell our parents till after

quote:

One of my closest friends and I got officially together about a month ago and it's been amazing. I am so in love with him and the happiest I've been in a long time if not ever. This is my first anything with a man so it's been a coming out process.

So far all of our friends have been accepting and supportive of this news. On the family front I told my brother, well technically I confirmed it as he asked when he was over. I told my sister and she seemed supportive until she asked me to "not be public about it" at her up coming wedding.

She even took it a step further and asked me not to tell our parents till after her wedding which is almost 3 weeks away. I'd say she's worried about issues or something but I know our parents won't care cause our cousin is gay and they are completely supportive so this "request" is hurtful.

I had planned to tell them this weekend as we have dinner plans but now I don't know. I love my sister and I know her wedding is important to her but I also want to share this great news with our parents.

I feel selfish saying this but a part of me doesn't even want to go to her wedding if I have to hide this. It's been a very rough couple years and my boyfriend was by my side for all of it without question so i'm proud to be with him.

Do I still tell our parents? How should I handle the wedding situation? Advice?

TLDR Sister wants me to keep my relationship a secret at her wedding and to wait the 3 weeks till it's over to tell our parents and I don't know what to do, so advice?

Edit Given the amount of bigotry i'm getting i'll add i'm helping pay for it, despite her crap even if I don't go I still plan on helping pay for the wedding cause I told her I would.

EDIT

She texted me back, her fiancé would be uncomfortable with 2 men being affectionate and she's worried if that info comes out mom and dad will stop paying for the half of the wedding.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mx. posted:

My(28m) sister(30f) asked me to keep my same sex relationship DL at her wedding and to not tell our parents till after

lol, that's a twist on an old classic

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

why are homophobes so fragile

like yeah he's a garbage person for being a homophobe but it is genuinely pathetic that he cannot even pretend to be okay with it so he can get half his wedding paid for

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What...

AITA for refusing to give up my room for my family to rent out?

quote:

I (18F) was recently informed by my family that due to money issues, I may need to give up my room and start sharing a room with my mom so they can rent out my room. Growing up, we use to live in a studio apartment and I use to share a bed with both me, my sister and my mom, so it wasn’t something I wouldn’t be use to.

I was a bit upset as we had the chance to change our living situation and were now able to rent a house and have separate rooms, and I’ll admit, I enjoyed the privacy of having my own room but I understood the situation. However the details later changed when my stepdad announced that my step-brother would sleep in my mom room and I sleep in his room. Immediately, I said no and refused to go along.

They say the reason why they made this change is because recently, my step-brother and step-father have been having severe argument and fight and that this would only be temporary. But later down the line, they changed their mind and said that this would be better as when I do move in, I won’t have to pay rent and only just have to pay for utilities bills.

I told my mom that I’m not comfortable sleeping in his room and ask if it has to be this way, why don’t she and him share one room and me and my step-brother share a room. But she refused.

My family is getting upset as they say that they already have someone ready to rent out my rooms and that I’m making the situation worse by delaying.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Oh...oh wow. That kid needs to gtfo yesterday, the step brother too.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for not returning to my childcare job because the mother fired me over a mistake?

quote:

I (19 M) had a job taking care of two kids (2M, 3F), a dog, and doing light housework 4 days a week for a single mom who got my contact info from a business card I had posted in my dad's pediatric therapy office.

Ever since the weather started getting warmer, the dog has been shedding like crazy. Like, I would vacuum the couch and the next day it would look like I hadn't, I would lightly tug on the dog's hair and would pull out huge tufts, the dog's been scratching all the time, etc. My dad's dog has a double coat like theirs, and one morning when I was leaving for work I packed his brushing tool in my bag. When the kids were napping, I spent a full hour outside brushing the dog.

The dog seemed to enjoy being brushed, and after an hour there was a huge pile of hair that had been brushed out. Before I vacuumed it up, I sent the mom what I thought would be a funny text saying, "Brushed a whole new dog out of [Dog]'s coat!"

Looking back, I realize that maybe I should have asked first, but at the time it seemed like something that was within the scope of caring for the dog. The mom went ballistic. She called me yelling, saying that by brushing the dog and not letting the hair fall out on its own I was causing harm to the dog. She said I was an idiot and she can't believe she trusted me with her kids, and that today was my last day. I was extremely upset because I had been with the family for 3 months and she had never yelled at me like that before. I left as soon as she got home because she was still fuming. I immediately lined up a job with another family and am supposed to start Monday.

The mom who yelled at me called me two days later saying that she was sorry about the "misunderstanding" and that firing me was an overreaction. I told her I was no longer available and she started crying about how hard it was to find a new sitter for "special needs" kids (her kids are autistic and have therapy at my dad's office). When I stood firm, she started texting my dad and asking him to do something. My dad is annoyed at being dragged into this, and while he respects my decision he wishes I would keep watching her kids for a short time to "keep the peace". I hate that I put anyone in an awkward position, but I also don't want to work for someone like that. AITA?

Edit because I don't want to have to keep clarifying: My dad is not an ABA therapist. He's a physical therapist.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

ghost emoji posted:

Wife [28F] won't let me [28M] sleep.[new] (self.relationships)

give me your sleep schedule

ghost emoji posted:

Glad you got out of that. It sounds like straight-up torture.

It literally is torture. They're not even allowed to do this to the serial killers in supermax.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mx. posted:

AITA for not returning to my childcare job because the mother fired me over a mistake?

Get hosed tantrum lady. Lost your (probably well below market rate) childcare because someone brushed the dogs hair.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

coronatae posted:

Regardless I think corned beef and cabbage is Not a good choice to try and break your kid's picky eating

Also pressuring them to 'just TRY IT' at a public event with a dozen family members breathing down their neck. It's the worst possible way to do it.

I know goons absolutely love hating picky eaters but literally every standard response to them is exactly the wrong way to 'break them of it'. Reminders of that post where the carnivore forcibly sodomised his vegetarian girlfriend with celery.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That dad can eat poo poo, too. Lady threw the fit, she's facing the consequences for her actions, there is no "keeping the peace" here.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I think the reason I'm not a particularly picky eater is that my parents only ever asked that I try new foods, and accepted my answer if I said I didn't like it.

Or if it was very far from the norms make me a meal I would eat, and offer me a bit of the new food from their serving.

As a counterpoint I was on holiday with a friends family, and they served dahl (lentils) at one meal. I didn't like it, said so, and the fuckers wouldn't let me leave the table until I had finished. Took me years to eat lentils again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Turns out, people are a lot more comfortable trying things if they are used to having bodily autonomy!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Angrymog posted:

I think the reason I'm not a particularly picky eater is that my parents only ever asked that I try new foods, and accepted my answer if I said I didn't like it.

Or if it was very far from the norms make me a meal I would eat, and offer me a bit of the new food from their serving.

As a counterpoint I was on holiday with a friends family, and they served dahl (lentils) at one meal. I didn't like it, said so, and the fuckers wouldn't let me leave the table until I had finished. Took me years to eat lentils again.

We do that with my son. “You don’t have to like it but you do have to try it”. Luckily he usually likes it as he eats pretty much everything, so when he says he doesn’t like something (like aubergines) we believe him.
This week he asked for palak paneer and dal. ☺️

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That dad can eat poo poo, too. Lady threw the fit, she's facing the consequences for her actions, there is no "keeping the peace" here.

Also he clarified they're literally seeing a professional for the issue.

It's exactly the same poo poo as the parents who throw fits at anyone suggesting their kid needs to see a doctor about their mental issues rather than just punish them until they stop 'acting out'.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just attended a wedding where a r/r staple was in action and felt the need to share. The Woman of Honor accompanying the groom had chosen her dress to be *very* form fitting, and the lady was without exaggeration attractive enough to be on most fashion mags regardless of clothing choices.

Instead of causing a scene, nobody cared in the slightest as all eyes where on the beaming bride who was the star of the show. A great time was had by all, because everyone attending was a well-adjusted adult and not some neurotic teenager trying to make their life a soap opera. Hurray.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

pentyne has a post on the first page of this thread that they update every time the thread title changes. I believe they did the same for the last thread as well.

ah! I love you and I love pentyne. thank you very much

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

mama mia

edit: this is serious

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Abolish ICE but before that we deport everyone who has identified themselves Italian-American to Long Island and nuke it until it’s a spicy cannoli.

Much like a feral kitten cage trap you can do your part to catch Italians roving around your neighborhood by baiting the trap with copies of the John Travolta Gotti movie.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Abolish ICE but before that we deport everyone who has identified themselves Italian-American to Long Island and nuke it until it’s a spicy cannoli.

Don’t punish long islanders any further (plus tbh it’s the Irish Americans that are more Weird about things)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

teen witch posted:

Don’t punish long islanders any further (plus tbh it’s the Irish Americans that are more Weird about things)

Hmm, I wonder if there’s a link to these two groups clinging on to an identity and historically being considered lesser by mainstream WASP American society? (It may be obvious but I’ve only just thought of it).

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

teen witch posted:

The who now I’ve got no idea who you’re talking about

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

teen witch posted:

Long Islanders deserve everything they get because they choose to continue living there.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

therattle posted:

Hmm, I wonder if there’s a link to these two groups clinging on to an identity and historically being considered lesser by mainstream WASP American society? (It may be obvious but I’ve only just thought of it).

Oh no, Long Island’s suburbanization is basically the last people finally considered “white” pulling up the ladder from anyone that came after them (or even before them, which is why I’m more keen on giving the land back).

It’s reeeaaal hosed and there is a reason it’s still considered heavily segregated. It’s still dear to my heart, and always will be, but as some schnook said “ain’t no island left for islanders like me”

(I’m on my period and I’m homesick)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

deety posted:

For dudes that get this way, I also like to point out that the women and children first, prioritizing women in an emergency due to their fragility thing, etc is all poo poo DUDES CAME UP WITH THEMSELVES. They were in power and chose to prioritize what they viewed as the 'weaker' gender.

Women did not make them do this, men chose this because of course it's the stronger gender's responsibility to protect what they view as the weaker and less capable gender. It's all tied into the damaging aggressive pride of toxic masculinity that forces men to take too much on, to the point they get resentful about their social expectations and take it out on the people they themselves have forcefully managed and limited from action, for being so 'lucky' that they get to be 'taken care of'.

It's another extension of the paternalism in patriarchy biting all of us in the rear end, because it puts everyone in an unfair position. But it's especially galling when men get jealous of women for being infantilized BY MEN. Yooooou are the ones doing that!