Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Staluigi posted:

The Russian Cosmonauts have arrived on the ISS at a time where most are wondering how international cooperation will work on the station.

The soyuz capsule carrying Oleg Artemyev, Denis Matveev and Sergey Korsakov launched from Kazakhstan and the three arrived ... like this

:gbsmith:

Really happy to see this, because the slap fight with the roskosmos chud was getting ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

I can only imagine that whoever is in charge of the airport doesn't want to admit he's hosed up so just says nothing and they keep sending in more helicopters.

The helicopters being destroyed are just plywood mockups, allowing the airport commander to sell the real ones on the black market.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

dr_rat posted:

Oh, I was pretty much agreeing with you. The expensive weapon kit foreign countries have given is definitely the type of stuff you would expect them to consider worth protecting.

Speaking of

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1505111366620925953

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Staluigi posted:

The Russian Cosmonauts have arrived on the ISS at a time where most are wondering how international cooperation will work on the station.

The soyuz capsule carrying Oleg Artemyev, Denis Matveev and Sergey Korsakov launched from Kazakhstan and the three arrived ... like this

Wow. Also one question though: do they just have like... a dressing closet for astronaut suits, such that you can pick out any color combination? Are the suits always gold with blue stripes and it's just a lucky coincidence? Did they have them special made in Kazakhstan in the last 3 weeks?

Also what's the meaning of their hand-over-forearm gesture?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

The usual outfits would not have been coincidentally so yellow and blue. The gesture is just a way people hold their hands together in microgravity

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Saladman posted:

Wow. Also one question though: do they just have like... a dressing closet for astronaut suits, such that you can pick out any color combination? Are the suits always gold with blue stripes and it's just a lucky coincidence? Did they have them special made in Kazakhstan in the last 3 weeks?

That suit in the picture is basically just a boiler suit, they could have had it made and packed before the launch.

I think the hand gesture is a way to keep your body stable in zero gravity.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Flag of Kazakhstan is mostly blue and some gold /yellow so if they get questioned about it they can always say that they where honoring them instead.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Staluigi posted:

So, it might not be about Ukraine. Apparently much has been made over this being the first all-BMSTU grad mission, and those are also the school colors.

https://mobile.twitter.com/meithan42/status/1504973404411203594

https://mobile.twitter.com/meithan42/status/1504973949439991808

Seems unbelievable they wouldn't realize how this would be perceived internationally, but also can't believe Russia would allow its cosmonauts to fly the colors of a country that they're currently at Special Operation with.

Edit: The commander is also a Deputy in the Moscow City Duma as a member of United Russia, so probably even more likely he is not intending to protest.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 19, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Don't think we covered this yesterday:

https://twitter.com/carljackmiller/status/1504896238826700800?t=007L_-ScjiQphCrNjUiWhQ&s=19

There's some interesting research coming out about where Russia's propaganda efforts are focused and the effect they are having.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Alchenar posted:

https://twitter.com/carljackmiller/status/1504896238826700800?t=007L_-ScjiQphCrNjUiWhQ&s=19

There's some interesting research coming out about where Russia's propaganda efforts are focused and the effect they are having.

So they’ve decided there’s nothing to be gained sending more propaganda to western audiences and are focused on the developing world instead?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Saladman posted:

They just made those jumpsuits in the past few days. They're not normally yellow and blue.

An astronaut/cosmonaut generally only has one or two jumpsuits at a time on the station, and wear the same jumpsuit every day until it wears out, and then they get a replacement on the next supply shuttle. It takes a lot longer for clothes to become gross because there isn't dust and gross poo poo in the air, and they don't sweat all that much in their weightless temperature-controlled environment. They have a larger supply of t-shirts and shorts for exercising.

And I don't know if their arms have a particular meaning. It's a pretty normal thing people do in weightlessness when they are just sitting around.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So they’ve decided there’s nothing to be gained sending more propaganda to western audiences and are focused on the developing world instead?

Well, might be they've just turned off the West directed propaganda rather than reprioritised, but they are definitely active and going after target audiences in the global South.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Saladman posted:

Early in the thread someone posted what seemed to be an official statement from them, where they said, to paraphrase, Oh we picked the colour, and we picked yellow as their was a lot of yellow ones in storage so we figured we should use them.

So yeah seems they just have a bunch of space suits in different colors laying around. I guess when they order them, when it comes to colours they just go, yeah give us a bunch of each. Which you know makes sense. There might be a reasons why on a particular mission it would be good to ware a certain coloured suit, and better to be prepared, then spend a bunch of money ordering some more custom.

*(yeah the excuse is bull, they one hundred percent intentionally chose those colours.)

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Something that I don’t understand is how do other countries not understand stuff like this? If a bunch of random shitposters on a dead comedy forum understand intra-EU/US/“Western” dynamics then why don’t party leaders in Russia and China understand? It’s not as if they don’t send their kids and poo poo over to “the West” to go to college and whatnot.

My answer to this would be that "countries" don't think. Countries and governments are made up of a variety of competing individuals, tribes, and power structures that all have different world views, goals, and access to information. Every person will have decades of past experience that shape how they interpret and act on new information.

Asking what the view of China is towards Ukraine is about the same as asking what the view of the UK is about Brexit. Or Germany about its energy policy. You could spend weeks studying each question and still not come to a firm conclusion. And then someone else studying the same information might come to a very different conclusion.

China itself is also vastly bigger than either of those countries. I have no idea how its government works. I have no idea who has power over what, who makes decisions, who forms policy, or even if any of those things are even applicable to the Chinese government. It's possible people within the Chinese government itself don't know any of those things.

It's a country of 1.4 billion people. I couldn't even tell you what a sample of ten people in my local town would think about Ukraine.

Do we even (as a group of people here) have a list of people, in the Chinese government, who would have any influence over Chinese policy re: Ukraine? Do we even know if the government operates that way? Does the Chinese government even operate in a way that is familiar to those of us used to Western democratic government structures?

It's possible there's no-one in the government who could change policy towards a certain country, even if they wanted to. Looking at some organisations I've dealt with in the past, even people at the very top have a very limited scope of decision making. They can't change the way their organisations run, because of existing incentives, external pressures, and inertia (financial, organisational, psychological).

You can sometimes affect change by changing the incentives that organisations act on. But you don't always get the change you were after.

In response to random shitposters knowing more than people in government, bear in mind that people in government are just people like anyone else. Many do not have the time or abilities to absorb information. They may not properly be in control of their own minds. It may not be in their interests to properly understand a situation.

I'd be very interested in finding an analyst or two who has spent years studying how the government of China operates. As far as I'm aware it's completely opaque; I've seen no evidence anyone really knows?

Aertuun fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 19, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Bleh, I didn't understand attrition but I find it crazy that both sides are going to be so exhausted that they're unable to attack each other but if it does happen then what? Does everyone just dig in and hold existing territory?

Pretty much, unless Russians decide to leave without being decisively kicked out.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Alchenar posted:

I live in West Africa and have friends from all over Africa but also Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, Myanmar, etc. It is remarkably consistent how this is seen as Putin defending Russia from NATO and the US. Food for Burkina Faso and Egypt is raised, French colonial behavior in West Africa and that Wagner was finally helping stop the French funding of the Sahal terrorists is an occasional Facebook post. Solidarity with BRICs and many posts about how Russia never colonised or had slaves from Africa (even on Linkedin).

The Chinese are seen as having the resources and positive intent (Silk Road) combined with Russia to better help Africa towards prosperity.

If you wonder if people don't worry about the deaths of Ukrainian people, I can tell you I have workmates that have lost family due to terror attacks probably about once every six months in the Sahel. Ethiopia has had what six (?) figure casualties in fighting over there in the last year or so. So the casualties in Ukraine is less relevant than the economic outcomes for these people. They know what death and poverty looks like, in a lot of cases, it is part of life, enshallah.

I will say the higher educated people from those same places are at least more neutral or even sympathetic to the West and especially Ukraine but it is definitely still seen as a NATO vs Russia with Ukraine being the unfortunate location rather than the primary reason.

ganonso
Aug 1, 2011

Electric Wrigglies posted:

the French funding of the Sahal terrorists is an occasional Facebook post.

Sorry it's a bit off-topic but what?! France is fighting terrorism in the Sahel. How can we be accused of funding it? I'm sure our operations have all the qualities of American actions in Irak but I do not compute how the reasoning "They are funding terrorism" works?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm not sure how well known George Galloway is outside the UK, but he used to be considered quite left wing, then became an RT presenter, a conspiracy grifter, and is now leader of a far-right Scottish Unionist party.

He just tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1505132372827725824

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 19, 2022

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

ganonso posted:

Sorry it's a bit off-topic but what?! France is fighting terrorism in the Sahel. How can we be accused of funding it? I'm sure our operations have all the qualities of American actions in Irak but I do not compute how the reasoning "They are funding terrorism" works?

The french refused to be used against dissidents in Mali, making them terrorists sympathizers, so the coup makers invited in Wagner Group to demolish villages.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It makes more sense when you remember that the Russian version of Counter-Terrorism involves carpet bombing.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Despera posted:

Nah there were enough people bitching about having to go to make it real.

I'll die on the "teapot showed the stewerdess chairs were empty hill" however.

That's a dumb hill, the teapot reflected a flower bouquet, not chairs. You can even see people moving later in the video. Don't believe every tweet you see where someone cherry-picked one specific frame from a video.

ganonso
Aug 1, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

The french refused to be used against dissidents in Mali, making them terrorists sympathizers, so the coup makers invited in Wagner Group to demolish villages.

Ok so it's not fighting the guys the government says are terrorists. Yep we had debates on that on public tv before the Russia/Ukraine war. Our Foreign Affairs minister basically told the Mali government did not want our presence anymore and we were not in the business of regime change anymore.

To take it back on topic same minister is the one to accuse publicly Russia of negotiating on bad faith.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

fuctifino posted:

I'm not sure how well known George Galloway is outside the UK, but he used to be considered quite left wing, then became an RT presenter, a conspiracy grifter, and is now leader of a far-right Scottish nationalist party.

He just tweeted this:

I think you're mixing up Alex Salmond (leader of a Scottish nationalist party) with Galloway (leader of a Scottish unionist party). They're both RT presenters/rentagobs, though. (Well, they were until RT had its UK broadcast rights pulled a couple of days ago.)

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
https://twitter.com/Pabriks/status/1505135600105623555

Germany just keeps being a bunch of cocks

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

fuctifino posted:

I'm not sure how well known George Galloway is outside the UK, but he used to be considered quite left wing, then became an RT presenter, a conspiracy grifter, and is now leader of a far-right Scottish nationalist party.

He just tweeted this:

ArcticConvoys is an amusing hashtag considering 1) Lend lease was an attempt to prevent the USSR from being canceled. 2) The USSR offering Basis Nord to nazi Germany so they could gently caress with convoys through the Arctic supplying Britain.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Roman Giertych ex-Deputy Prime Minister of Poland posted this on facebook. It's titled "Orban plan" and it talks about the same "Poland and Hungary splitting western Ukraine" thing that Russian propaganda is pushing, but from a slightly different angle and in much more detail.

One thing I can say is that Orban repeatedly blocked Ukraine from joining NATO the past 5 or so years, officially because of the Ukrainian "language law". The part about significant Hungarian minorities in Zakarpattia tho is half true, its 150 000 ethnic Hungarians. London has more.
Orban is a big rear end in a top hat with dreams about more and more power, so wouldn't put anything like this past him.

Please someone slap me if it sounds like I'm being consumed by Russian propaganda.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

So we're almost a month into this war. Is Russia making any progress at all? What are the long term predictions?

Will Russia desperately reinforce the invasion and slug out a very expensive victory, or are they stuck?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Payndz posted:

I think you're mixing up Alex Salmond (leader of a Scottish nationalist party) with Galloway (leader of a Scottish unionist party). They're both RT presenters/rentagobs, though. (Well, they were until RT had its UK broadcast rights pulled a couple of days ago.)

Ah poo poo, sorry, you are correct. I had a brain fart. Thanks for the correction

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

They’re focusing on places with warm feelings toward Russia which was reflected in the original response to the invasion. Africa is v pro Russia from the USSR days when it helped promoted decolonization and gives weapons to African countries without asking for them to hit democracy targets or whatever despite Kenya’s much-lauded statement on the invasion it was the only African country to come out strongly against it, india’s defense ties have been spoken of again and again. It’s trying to prevent the erosion of those feelings which is actually good triage.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

ArcticConvoys is an amusing hashtag considering 1) Lend lease was an attempt to prevent the USSR from being canceled. 2) The USSR offering Basis Nord to nazi Germany so they could gently caress with convoys through the Arctic supplying Britain.

One of the people in the photo that picture was based on was also Ukrainian, IIRC

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

This is more about literally having nothing to deliver that is not needed for our pathetic troop. She's saying other kinds of weapon exports need to be done over other channels as the army can't (or is unwilling) to take care of it, essentially making someone else responsible for it.

Remember the best they could offer was rusty and moldy strela rockets. it cannot be overstated in what kind of pathetic state the Bundeswehr is in.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.reuters.com/world/dutch-germans-send-3-patriot-missile-defence-systems-slovakia-2022-03-18/

quote:

AMSTERDAM, March 18 (Reuters) - The Dutch government on Friday said it would send a Patriot missile defence system to Sliac, Slovakia, as part of NATO moves to strengthen air defences in Eastern Europe.

"The worsened safety situation in Europe as a reasult of the Russian invasion of Ukraine makes this contribution necessary," Defense Minister Kajsa Ollongren said in a statement.

Germany is also sending two Patriot systems to Slovakia, the statement said.

Discendo Vox posted:

All of this predates Trump; a lot of it is a progression of the methods used by the USSR, internally and externally (there's a great "total war" concept someone presented earlier in the thread that is related, but which I'm not as familiar with; cinci can probably find it, I'm having no luck). Under Putin it's been refined with the principal goal of getting the population, domestic or foreign, to disengage from civic agency and participation.

That's from the Fiona Hill interview. https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/28/world-war-iii-already-there-00012340

quote:

Reynolds: The more we talk, the more we’re using World War II analogies. There are people who are saying we’re on the brink of a World War III.

Hill: We’re already in it. We have been for some time. We keep thinking of World War I, World War II as these huge great big set pieces, but World War II was a consequence of World War I. And we had an interwar period between them. And in a way, we had that again after the Cold War. Many of the things that we’re talking about here have their roots in the carving up of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the Russian Empire at the end of World War I. At the end of World War II, we had another reconfiguration and some of the issues that we have been dealing with recently go back to that immediate post-war period. We’ve had war in Syria, which is in part the consequence of the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, same with Iraq and Kuwait.

All of the conflicts that we’re seeing have roots in those earlier conflicts. We are already in a hot war over Ukraine, which started in 2014. People shouldn’t delude themselves into thinking that we’re just on the brink of something. We’ve been well and truly in it for quite a long period of time.

But this is also a full-spectrum information war, and what happens in a Russian “all-of-society” war, you soften up the enemy. You get the Tucker Carlsons and Donald Trumps doing your job for you. The fact that Putin managed to persuade Trump that Ukraine belongs to Russia, and that Trump would be willing to give up Ukraine without any kind of fight, that’s a major success for Putin’s information war. I mean he has got swathes of the Republican Party — and not just them, some on the left, as well as on the right — masses of the U.S. public saying, “Good on you, Vladimir Putin,” or blaming NATO, or blaming the U.S. for this outcome. This is exactly what a Russian information war and psychological operation is geared towards. He’s been carefully seeding this terrain as well. We’ve been at war, for a very long time. I’ve been saying this for years.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1505137845576601603?s=20&t=dEQlEPTRcEVWx7TdX4t_Bw

Got a bit ahead of themselves there I think.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 19, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Roman Giertych ex-Deputy Prime Minister of Poland posted this on facebook. It's titled "Orban plan" and it talks about the same "Poland and Hungary splitting western Ukraine" thing that Russian propaganda is pushing, but from a slightly different angle and in much more detail.

One thing I can say is that Orban repeatedly blocked Ukraine from joining NATO the past 5 or so years, officially because of the Ukrainian "language law". The part about significant Hungarian minorities in Zakarpattia tho is half true, its 150 000 ethnic Hungarians. London has more.
Orban is a big rear end in a top hat with dreams about more and more power, so wouldn't put anything like this past him.

Please someone slap me if it sounds like I'm being consumed by Russian propaganda.

I think this is a self-fulfilling prophecy, with people filling the gaps in Putin's bullshit (which means that Russian information warfare tactics are working).

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Feliday Melody posted:

So we're almost a month into this war. Is Russia making any progress at all? What are the long term predictions?

Will Russia desperately reinforce the invasion and slug out a very expensive victory, or are they stuck?
The TLDR take is that the Russians have botched the invasion, and a path to a military victory would require huge reversals in tactics, logistics, and morale ASAP. As time goes on all this seems less likely as they take unsustainable casualties.

Russia also burned all its soft power, and turbofucked their economy to accomplish this, so the long term picture for the Russians is equally bad.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Didn't put dates on them atleast.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Sashimi posted:

The TLDR take is that the Russians have botched the invasion, and a path to a military victory would require huge reversals in tactics, logistics, and morale ASAP. As time goes on all this seems less likely as they take unsustainable casualties.

Russia also burned all its soft power, and turbofucked their economy to accomplish this, so the long term picture for the Russians is equally bad.

Okay, that sounds promising. I was worried that we'd see proper military forces arrive from the rest of the country and a brutal but drawn out victory.

Ukraine really deserves to win this.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The problem with getting all your news from Twitter is that you don't actually get what's going on.

The weapon shipments from the Bundeswehr went very ad-hoc. They don't really have surplus stock to give without impacting operational capability, and you can't load McKinsey contractors into Javelin tubes (as great as that would be).

Weapons exports aren't a Ministry of Defense competency. That lies with the Ministry of Economy. So the plans being worked on right now is to buy arms and ship those.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Feliday Melody posted:

Okay, that sounds promising. I was worried that we'd see proper military forces arrive from the rest of the country and a brutal but drawn out victory.

Ukraine really deserves to win this.

Mauripol is probably gonna fall in the next few days, so there will be some Russian victories soon. But that’s really the only one I’m aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Antigravitas posted:

The problem with getting all your news from Twitter is that you don't actually get what's going on.

Nice.

Antigravitas posted:

The weapon shipments from the Bundeswehr went very ad-hoc. They don't really have surplus stock to give without impacting operational capability, and you can't load McKinsey contractors into Javelin tubes (as great as that would be).

Weapons exports aren't a Ministry of Defense competency. That lies with the Ministry of Economy. So the plans being worked on right now is to buy arms and ship those.

As was every other shipment from the countries that didn't commit until hostilities started. I don't believe for a second, no matter how poo poo condition the Bundeswehr is, that an organization with 180.000 people doesn't have anything to send over. It makes little sense to compare, but I'll do it anyway. Germany has barely given more aid than Denmark, which also have a military in shambles, and like 8% of the population Germany has.

Suddenly turning it into a case of weapons export is a bureaucratic maneuver to stall on giving more military aid.