Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ukraine: I prefer my Russian soldiers flame-broiled — We know Azov are nazis k thx

For that smoky flavor, add moltovs to the air intake to taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Speaking of, anyone have any news on Kadyrov?

PrimitiveDegenerate
Feb 21, 2006

Wickerman posted:

Saw this claim yesterday that he never left Grozny. No idea if they are right but I would have think that he is not dumb enough to have actually gone.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AricToler/status/1504101757420552193

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Wickerman posted:

Last I saw he was still in Grozny, still lying & lying still
https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1504101757420552193?t=fAuCM7CKoBpwfD4rTsBbvQ&s=19

E. Beaten while looking for the tweet

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

I certainly hope Putin's takeaway isn't "I need more Shermans" :stare:

It would be that even if it wasn’t for the burning thing and more for just logistical intelligence.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PrimitiveDegenerate posted:

Saw this claim yesterday that he never left Grozny. No idea if they are right but I would have think that he is not dumb enough to have actually gone.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AricToler/status/1504101757420552193

NO ONE CLICK THE FIRST REPLY. ITS SUPER :nms:

It’s a dying naked child on a gurney…Jesus loving Christ. I know the OP didn’t know about that. I just wanted to warn anyone else. Shits never going to leave my head. :smith:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CainFortea posted:

But you can pre-prep a bunch of them in vacuum bags and stick em in the freezer which is nice.

Erm.......

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Arrath posted:

This. The only difference is how you get heat into the meat for the first half. Either way, you still pan sear it at the end to get that crust.

Sous vide can take longer and requires a little more prep/tools, like the vacuum bag etc.

You can also do a low temperature smoke for the same idea which I keep meaning to try

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
How did the Ukraine thread become the dadchat thread? On this episode we will discuss Putin's inferiority complex and how his father figures raised a monster...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

M_Gargantua posted:

How did the Ukraine thread become the dadchat thread? On this episode we will discuss Putin's inferiority complex and how his father figures raised a monster...

dont make me post it

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Ill take Gip dad chat in this thread anytime over whatever the hell the gbs one is supposed to be about anymore.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Vladimir Putin doesn't understand the utility of aluminum foil.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sentinel posted:

Ill take Gip dad chat in this thread anytime over whatever the hell the gbs one is supposed to be about anymore.

Shitposting about horse cum

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

The offensive has stagnated without any real change in a while and Ukraine is in that odd position of maybe starting to take some very limited offensive moves but it’s too early to tell if it can be sustained or even amount to anything.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

Vladimir Putin doesn't understand the utility of aluminum foil.

he generally uses zinc foil

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Blind Rasputin posted:

the reverse sear method for steaks ... It’s the true way.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

because we're all a collective bunch of morons with short attention spans?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

he generally uses zinc foil
:vince:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Kesper North posted:

I would die if I tried to deploy a bridge, I know that much

I’d be fine the guys going across it maybe not

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

guys guys

you're gonna give away all the cooking secrets to the Russkies

We aren't discussing a million and one raw onion recipes so I think the intel will be stale fresh baked twice daily by the time it's usable.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

IPCRESS posted:

We aren't discussing a million and one raw onion recipes so I think the intel will be stale fresh baked twice daily by the time it's usable.

Vidalia onions are mild enough, my grandmother used to make a sandwich out of a slice raw. Those Washington imposters however :argh:

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

Farking Bastage posted:

Vidalia onions are mild enough, my grandmother used to make a sandwich out of a slice raw. Those Washington imposters however :argh:

...best canned chili ever: Nally's with Walla Walla Onions...

ob21 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 19, 2022

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Just a tongue in cheek jab, because it's still fun to poke fun at one another. :smith:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

This thread was a ride.
https://twitter.com/CivilWarHumor/status/1504958654264459264

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

......mcnally?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

He might be on to something

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Novorossiya

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

......mcnally?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

So in the most recent cruise missile volley on Lviv there were supposedly 4 missiles, of which the Ukrainians claimed to have shot down two. What type of kit do they have that can shoot down cruise missiles? I know they fly pretty low, but wouldn't they be too small/fast for manpads? Tunguskas or captured Pantsirs?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean we all knew Red Dawn was total nonsense, but they'll need to make a new version which is just the US military making mincemeat of countless Russians

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 19, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pretty wild video released by Russian MoD showing cockpit footage of a KA-52 strafing targets during the first day of the invasion near Hostomel. The helicopter gets hit and eventually and has to make an emergency landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLa3fZD1vXs

Couple of interesting points:
-The use of the tractor trailers to block the runway
-MANPAD impact (or maybe small arms) at 1:25
-It's an official Russian video, so clearly there's a bunch of propaganda attached to it. But they do state that the crew was rescued during the second wave of the air assault, which would see more or less accurate.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Double posting:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/18/syrians-join-russian-ranks-in-ukraine-as-putin-calls-in-assads-debt

Assad is sending a substantial portion of his military to fight in Ukraine.

quote:

After 11 years of war, the destruction of towns, cities and much of the Syrian military, Bashar al-Assad’s army has launched a recruitment drive. But the recruits are not fresh from bootcamps and will not fight on the home front. They are the vanguard of what could be the biggest state-backed mercenary force in the world. Within days, Syrian troops could be deployed to reinforce the stalled Russian frontlines in Ukraine, where Vladimir Putin is about to extract a lethal price for Moscow’s rescue of the Syrian leader.

The first Syrian troops to join Putin’s ranks – an advance force of 150 – arrived in Russia on Thursday, European intelligence officials claim. Ukrainian military intelligence, echoing a claim by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, believes 40,000 Syrians have signed up to fight – a figure that would represent a sizeable chunk of the battle-ready capacity of the country’s entire military.

In the economic wasteland of post-war Syria, the best – and maybe only – state-backed job on offer is one that those who sign on for might not come home from. The vast majority of newly enlisted Syrian mercenaries are trading in salaries of $15 a month for monthly deals worth between $600 and $3,000. Rank and experience in the gruelling decade of insurrection attracts the higher dollars, but even the basic salary is luring recruits who have few ways out of overwhelming poverty.

Syrians have shown a readiness to sign up at least 14 recruitment centres across the country, in Aleppo, Damascus, Deir Azzour, Homs and Hama, as well as Raqqa, which less than five years ago was at the centre of the war against Islamic State.

“They have been arriving in the dozens to the regime base in Raqqa,” said a Kurdish fighter with the Syrian Democratic Forces in north-east Syria. “We can see them turn up. The Russians have also asked [Kurdish groups] to join them, but I don’t know of anyone who has done so yet.”

In western Syria, some of the regime’s most prestigious units claim to have signed up thousands from their ranks. The Fifth Division, which was trained by Moscow, the 4th Division, which is loyal to Assad’s brother, Maher, and the Tiger Forces, which played prominent roles in the war, are all central to the recruitment push, which will seriously stretch their already depleted ranks and potentially turn Assad’s ragtag army into the largest mercenary force in Ukraine.

Comparatively safe in his palace thanks to Russian backing, and in the debt of Putin if he wants to remain there, Assad appears to have given Moscow carte blanche to airlift his army, and his commanders free rein to enlist them. The vulnerable state that leaves his forces at home seems secondary to returning a favour that the Syrian leader has no other way to honour.

Ukrainian officials say the mercenary force will fly from the Khmeimim base on daily military transport flights. Militia groups that had fought alongside them are also joining the recruitment drive, with Palestinians, National Defence Front troops, the Ba’ath party and even some members of Shia militia groups that fought in Syria under Iran’s auspices joining in.

Pro-regime militia groups have been trained and backed by Russian units since late 2015, when Putin formally intervened to save Assad. At that point, the Iranian general Qassem Suleimani had convinced Putin that Assad was only weeks away from losing the Alawite heartland of western Syria to opposition groups who had decimated his armoured units with precision-guided missiles smuggled across the Turkish border by the CIA.

Ever since, Putin has established a tutelage over Assad and, during visits to Syria, has rarely wasted an opportunity to assert his dominance. During inspections of Russian troops at Kheimemin, Putin led entourages, forcing Assad to trail behind him. He has insisted on meetings in Russian bases instead of the presidential palace – a clear slight to a leader who he regularly complained was yet to return Russia’s investment in blood and treasure.

In the city of Homs, business is reportedly brisk at a regime recruitment post. “I had to wait for three hours,” said one soldier, a sergeant, who said he had few qualms about travelling to Ukraine. “The Russians helped us a lot and now we will help them,” he said. Asked what he would be paid, he responded: “Twenty-five times what I’m earning now. You don’t think the terrorists from Idlib won’t go to join the Ukrainians? Of course they will. We will be fighting each other again, but this time in the snow.”

A second pro-regime fighter, who fought for four months in a militia in southern Syria last year, said he had been offered $600 plus death benefits to travel to Ukraine. “That is more than I could ever earn in Syria,” he said. “That is putting a value on my life, I know, but that’s what life is worth these days. If I die there, at least my family can live.”

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

bees everywhere posted:

The US still does that routinely (especially in the Navy), but there's a big difference in what happens to them after they get fired.

I saw plenty of officers get "fired" and most of them honestly deserved it. They get moved to a different job and then in most cases they leave the military since their careers are effectively over. The most humiliating reassignment I ever heard about was a lieutenant in my brigade who became the "Brigade Morale Officer" or something like that, and his job was basically to make birthday cards. He was out by the time I got there but I heard they were actually really well made, like this guy spent a few hours every day with an arts & crafts kit making elaborate & unique birthday cards for each soldier in the brigade. Maybe he got a job for Hallmark after :lol:

Gotta dig up the long form Regimental Birthday Officer story post from the idiots threat

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nuclear Tourist posted:

So in the most recent cruise missile volley on Lviv there were supposedly 4 missiles, of which the Ukrainians claimed to have shot down two. What type of kit do they have that can shoot down cruise missiles? I know they fly pretty low, but wouldn't they be too small/fast for manpads? Tunguskas or captured Pantsirs?

Ukraine has a good number of S-300 batteries still in operation, especially in the western half of the country. They've got older S-300P's (NATO designation SA-10/'Grumble'), as well as S-300V's (SA-12/'Gladiator') which is the tracked vehicle version and designed to be more mobile to shift with the army

They also have Osa's (SA-8/'Gecko') which are short ranged but if deployed around the city have a shot at intercepting Kalibur cruise missiles.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm guessing long-neglected branches of the Army like ADA and Chemical Corps are feeling a lot of validation these days.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

Double posting:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/18/syrians-join-russian-ranks-in-ukraine-as-putin-calls-in-assads-debt

This cannot be tolerated.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

psydude posted:

I'm guessing long-neglected branches of the Army like ADA and Chemical Corps are feeling a lot of validation these days.

There has always been a whole lot going on in Air Defence Artillery.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Gotta dig up the long form Regimental Birthday Officer story post from the idiots threat

:lol: Am I confusing real life with the forums? Maybe I made that post, I can't even remember now

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Tire Guy was interviewed by ABC news:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/damage-russian-equipment-raises-questions-military-effectiveness-83536545

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Looks like the representative from georgia has been reading c-spam: https://www.salon.com/2022/03/17/marjorie-taylor-greene-says-ukraine-should-give-up_partner/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

psydude posted:

Double posting:

Isn't their still an insurgency there?