Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

KitConstantine posted:

Posting this here for military goon feedback - is this how you are supposed to do when coming under fire?

There are a lot of things wrong in that video and it would take a really big effort post to outline them all. But tldr is these guys are like ROTC cadets.

edit: there's a couple guys in that video who have the right idea. Hit the deck and get away from the Javelin target.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

In the video it seems like they are taking cover, but they are way to grouped and flagging each other (pointing their weapons at their fellow soldiers) really badly.

haha this totally reminded me. I worked with some Brits for a few weeks back in 2003, and those motherfuckers had absolutely no barrel awareness. Like non-stop flagging. Sometimes they'd sight in on each other for laughs. Like I don't know if that was just the guys I was with or if it's the British army but jeeeezus

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Holy poo poo, the article says that DoD says that Russia's lost at least 7,000 KIA so far? They're halfway there on their massive speedrun to exceed the amount of Soviet deaths in their 10-year misadventure in Afghanistan, which is 13,310. :stare:

Ukraine claims they’ve killed 14k already… some other groups are saying it’s closer to 20k. I think 7k might be the conservative estimate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What are the Ukrainian Army casualty numbers?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

haha this totally reminded me. I worked with some Brits for a few weeks back in 2003, and those motherfuckers had absolutely no barrel awareness. Like non-stop flagging. Sometimes they'd sight in on each other for laughs. Like I don't know if that was just the guys I was with or if it's the British army but jeeeezus

Worst I saw was Mongolians in Afghanistan. They were a part of the UN mission there and holy poo poo were they bad. They would sling their AKs with the barrel parallel to the ground and flag people everywhere.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

zoux posted:

so far about 5000 javelins

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

zoux posted:

Probably somewhere in between whatever Ukraine says and what Russia says.
edit: and casualties are one thing, since modern medicine can fix some of those numbers (lol @ Russia having modern medicine there though), but the straight up KIA numbers are what's stunning

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

well this is pretty heartbreaking.

Spiegel story about a couple who have only ever lived under Putin:

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...0b-523b7955ab6b

this war loving sucks qtiyd

This is true of every war of conscripts, but what sucks in a new way here is just how brutal the sanctions are. It is difficult, if not impossible to overstate just how much hardship the Russian population is facing in both the near and long term. Sanctions can and will be lifted more rapidly if Putin is removed from power, but a lot of the damage simply cannot be done quickly - and if the sanctions last too long, some of it may not be undone at all.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1504614394176720897?s=21

After the video I just saw…I just. :(

But I’m happy to see those who try and result Russia will be punished.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 18, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Worst I saw was Mongolians in Afghanistan. They were a part of the UN mission there and holy poo poo were they bad. They would sling their AKs with the barrel parallel to the ground and flag people everywhere.

:gonk:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Listen, eating flesh is eating flesh. Might as well own it.

Being able to accept the miracle of transubstantiation but then being all like, god converting that cracker into the flesh of Christ makes you a cannibal so you had best convert to my religion is some truly wild mental gymnastics.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

They are being very tightlipped about it and have some home field advantage of moving bodies without being filmed etc. Plus hard to account army vs militia.

The US gave an assessment over a week+ ago but I haven’t heard anything since except to say they’re at about 90% combat power, but combat power is not a 1:1 with lives.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

zoux posted:

The Ukrainians have claimed about 1300 dead or so in the last public statement about their casualties I recall, but that was about a week ago and there's a decent chance the actual number is notably higher. Either way, the Ukrainians aren't really saying much and it's been hard to prove their losses, so hard to say.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Lol, I ran into the Mongolians in Camp Phoenix once, they could have been the same people because there weren't very many out there. I think they were artillery advisors. Anyway I went to their 'camp' and had lunch with them and traded stuff. They showed me this weird finger game that involved flicking each other on the forehead and I walked out with a welt. Fun guys!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If the Ukrainians were dying like the Russians are the Russians would probably be posting videos.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Russians might not have the ability to take videos at this point. They don't appear to even have GPS in their tanks, so cool cinematic drones might be scarce, and they had to surrender their smart phones as a rule of service.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

IIRC we have Bellingcat/Brown Moses to thank for the no phone rule in the Russian army :lol:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Are the engineering corps officers typically likely to get murked?
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1504612301915230219?t=103fRmD_U69MhAfNc1MlvA&s=19

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I would die if I tried to deploy a bridge, I know that much

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/life...of-sambuca.html

quote:

Drunk mum in the UK orders Uber to Ukraine to help in conflict after one too many shots of Sambuca

o7

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

That brought back memories from the Finnish army. When you riding a bicycle, the most convenient way to carry the rifle is by stuffing the magazine in your battle belt, laying in your back pointing right.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
That Task & Purposes guy was able to find Russian videos of them videoing abandoned and burned-out Ukraine tanks. So I guess if you know the right telegram channels you can find Russian propaganda.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Just the exactly right number of shots of sambuca

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Did Clive Owen brain him with a cinder block after he got stuck in a door?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Did Clive Owen brain him with a cinder block after he got stuck in a door?

Hahaha holy poo poo

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Solid piece, who knows how many people in Ukraine/Russia will see it. That said, the California flag patch on his shoulder is just weird - I see the Texan flag all over the place, I don't know if I've ever seen any other state flag worn by an individual or flown by any non-gov't building before now.

It tracks, a friend of mine works on a lot of his vehicles, he kept that part quiet until there was a very specific Hummer with a terminator logo on the rear fender and he was like "yeah that Arnolds". He's got a fairly large car collection, some really nice Jeep Waggoneers. More than one vehicle had custom embroidered floormats with the California Governors Seal on them. He's proud that he got elected as governor, so being California proud in his case makes sense.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Denazification" is going to be the Russian equivalent of "Illegals" in that it's going to be the drum the cornered powers that be drum to try to get people to go their way.

E: looks like I'm wrong.

It means that if the Russians win, Wikipedia will probably have a disambiguation page on Katyn massacre.

I think "Denazification" is a translation of the term of art the KGB used to describe the Stasi zersetzung method/practice - thread historians correct me if required please.

It does not mean what it sounds like it should mean.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 18, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So i found a webcam where you can watch Kiev.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz1Se_9rBEU

Its dark right now, but I see city lights on.

Now...shouldn't have cutting the cities electrical connection have been one of the earliest things the Russians _should_ have done?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

IPCRESS posted:

I think "Denazification" is a translation of the term of art the KGB used to describe the Stasi zersetzung method/practice - thread historians correct me if required please.

It does not mean what it sounds like it should mean.

I’m not sure I follow.

Are you implying that it’s actually more benign and everyone is slighting Putin with this word choice? Or are you saying that the phrase in Russian seems innocuous and your surprised it’s getting translated that way?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kesper North posted:

I would die if I tried to deploy a bridge, I know that much

Maybe he was the bridge

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Murgos posted:

I’m not sure I follow.

Are you implying that it’s actually more benign and everyone is slighting Putin with this word choice? Or are you saying that the phrase in Russian seems innocuous and your surprised it’s getting translated that way?

Try this:
https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1503085486604275717
which is part of this larger thread
https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1503053699798769666

some background
https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1497306746330697738

joat mon fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 18, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1270945583230930944?s=21

Saw this retweeted today.

Edit^ Kamil’s post have been absolutely fantastic.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So all those minority indigenous populations in Siberia that have largely been wiped out are all Nazis? Good to know.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That's a very Salford thing to happen.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Casimir Radon posted:

So all those minority indigenous populations in Siberia that have largely been wiped out are all Nazis? Good to know.

I can think of a couple reasons why the minority indigenous populations of Siberia that were wiped out between the late 16th to early 20th century were not Nazis.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 18, 2022

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
"Anyone who disagrees with Russia is a Nazi" is very much a modern/post-WW2 bit of rhetoric, so I think there was a crossed wire there

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

To give you an idea: when I was in a bridging unit, each platoon (~50 soldiers in total) was designed to be able to complete the mission with 50% of its personnel being casualties.

You're basically a massive sitting target for a bunch of angry defenders to shoot at.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Mappo posted:

That Task & Purposes guy was able to find Russian videos of them videoing abandoned and burned-out Ukraine tanks. So I guess if you know the right telegram channels you can find Russian propaganda.

Russia has started a pro-russian alternative to oryx that documents ukranian losses, but it somehow actually lists less ukranian equipment than even Oryx does and refuses to list Russian losses, which it says it will post after the war is over. The whole thing is pretty ridiculous currently.

With that said: Ukraine is definitely losing stuff and there's no way that they aren't losing a lot of people, both civilians and military even if the footage of it doesn't make it out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Russia has started a pro-russian alternative to oryx that documents ukranian losses, but it somehow actually lists less ukranian equipment than even Oryx does and refuses to list Russian losses, which it says it will post after the war is over. The whole thing is pretty ridiculous currently.

With that said: Ukraine is definitely losing stuff and there's no way that they aren't losing a lot of people, both civilians and military even if the footage of it doesn't make it out.

Based upon some of the articles I'm seeing, the Territorial Defense Forces are taking fairly heavy losses (vs. the UKA), which makes sense given most of them are little more than a militia that received a couple of weeks of training and some surplus equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Does all sense of tactfulness and consideration just get deleted from your brain when you're this religious?

''Never be so religious so as to be of no earthly use'', a man from decades ago told me that.

I'm atheist but i always found it eminently relatable. :)