Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Isn't their still an insurgency there?

Assad must a) feel fairly secure in his ability to deal with it and b) feeling a ton of pressure of Putin for support, perhaps to the point that Putin's displeasure is an existential threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
After reading that article, sounds like Putin straight up owns Assad and if he didn't participate, Putin would have him killed and then his replacement would cooperate.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Sounds like a good time for Turkey to increase the size of their forces there.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

This was a much better argument 3 weeks ago, when russian victory seemed much more plausible.

(Not that it was ever a good argument, mind)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

davecrazy posted:

It’s a frozen conflict. Islamist militants hold the border area with Turkey but don’t have the capability to credibly threaten Damascus or take new territory; Assad can’t retake Idlib on his own. The regime was seriously in danger of falling until Russia stepped in back in 2015, which allowed Assad to prop himself back up and gradually retake Aleppo and other cities. Militancy still pops up here and there, especially in Dara’s (where the revolution began) but it’s a different conflict these days.

But man- this war must be going terribly if Putin wants Syrian soldiers. They’re not going to be much use beyond having some Russian commissar tell them to pop their head up and check if that sniper is still hanging around.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
It's been a few generations since Syria fought with another army directly, but don't they have a reputation from the 60s and 70s for being basically worthless on the battlefield?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's been a few generations since Syria fought with another army directly, but don't they have a reputation from the 60s and 70s for being basically worthless on the battlefield?

In the 60’s and 70’s America was putting people on the moon, that was 60 years ago.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Mariupol continues to fall. Has been a brutal block by block fight.

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1505090161792757764?s=21

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

But man- this war must be going terribly if Putin wants Syrian soldiers. They’re not going to be much use beyond having some Russian commissar tell them to pop their head up and check if that sniper is still hanging around.

I saw it mentioned somewhere else that Russia allegedly wants to use them to help hold terrain they've already captured.

I'm sure a lot of them will desert and claim asylum in Europe at the first chance.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mlmp08 posted:

Mariupol continues to fall. Has been a brutal block by block fight.

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1505090161792757764?s=21

They looking for Nazi tats?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

davecrazy posted:

The active war phase is basically over. What's left is negotiations with an occasional flareup.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

I can only assume. Azov is big into tattoos, so if fighters are trying to escape among civilians, I can imagine Russians detaining them or making them disappear.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

FrozenVent posted:

Sounds like they're searching for Azovs

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Can't wait for Putin to arm the Syrians with Mosins.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Wasn't Azov down to something like 900 actual dudes at the start of this conflict?

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

I'm sure those guys who've spent their whole lives in a desert climate will adapt just fine and rapidly to a eastern European spring.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Can't wait for Putin to arm the Syrians with Mosins.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

We're now in the second book of the first trilogy, right? The one where all the characters are pretty much developed and not much happens beyond a depressing grinding war of attrition?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Maybe after the fall of Mariupol.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

So in the most recent cruise missile volley on Lviv there were supposedly 4 missiles, of which the Ukrainians claimed to have shot down two. What type of kit do they have that can shoot down cruise missiles? I know they fly pretty low, but wouldn't they be too small/fast for manpads? Tunguskas or captured Pantsirs?

I believe cruise missiles fly mostly subsonic, for example for the Russian Kalibr only some variants have supersonic capability during terminal phase. So shouldn't be too fast for MANPADS during most of the flight. And the couple videos of cruise missiles in mid flight I've seen from Ukraine don't look like they would be flying too low. It easier over the sea, but a land-variant needs to keep away from the treetops. MANPADS use IR missiles, so the size of the cruise missile doesn't really matter, unlike with radar missiles, as long as the engine puts out enough heat to lock on to. This is the biggest question for me. But assuming that modern MANPADS are capable of engaging planes from frontal aspect, then I would expect cruise missile engine to be hot enough from the rear at least.

Last question is if the cruise missile would be in view long enough to engage it with MANPADS. But if the operator is on a roof at tree top level I would think it would be perfectly possible to have enough time to attack a cruise missile.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

A.o.D. posted:

Wasn't Azov down to something like 900 actual dudes at the start of this conflict?

Something like that. The actual nazi party representation in Ukraine's parliament has decreased since 2014 as well.

According to Putin, anyone anti-russian is a nazi. They don't actually care about white supremacists.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nuclear Tourist posted:

So in the most recent cruise missile volley on Lviv there were supposedly 4 missiles, of which the Ukrainians claimed to have shot down two. What type of kit do they have that can shoot down cruise missiles? I know they fly pretty low, but wouldn't they be too small/fast for manpads? Tunguskas or captured Pantsirs?

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1505187324791074822?s=20&t=T1jvqc_rsc-7J3Ps59bMEQ

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

A.o.D. posted:

Yep, they were pretty marginal, but with an outsized PR department to make sure they got visibility. And, of course, there's nothing like a desperate defensive war against a stronger power that claims your "nation" is "fake" to fill the ranks with folks who don't have the luxury of being too discerning about what Azov's ideology is beyond "defend Ukraine; defend your home", so long as they mobilize a defense against the marauding invader. Meanwhile, the org's PR department is still in full swing and pushing out watermarked videos of Russian defeats. Putin's the best thing that ever happened to Azov.

They're not a reason to hesitate for a second in supporting Ukrainians as they defend their homes. The biggest counterweight to Azov's potential to metastasize is probably Zelensky himself, who's offering a very prominent alternative around which to rally.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Saukkis posted:

I believe cruise missiles fly mostly subsonic, for example for the Russian Kalibr only some variants have supersonic capability during terminal phase. So shouldn't be too fast for MANPADS during most of the flight. And the couple videos of cruise missiles in mid flight I've seen from Ukraine don't look like they would be flying too low. It easier over the sea, but a land-variant needs to keep away from the treetops. MANPADS use IR missiles, so the size of the cruise missile doesn't really matter, unlike with radar missiles, as long as the engine puts out enough heat to lock on to. This is the biggest question for me. But assuming that modern MANPADS are capable of engaging planes from frontal aspect, then I would expect cruise missile engine to be hot enough from the rear at least.

Last question is if the cruise missile would be in view long enough to engage it with MANPADS. But if the operator is on a roof at tree top level I would think it would be perfectly possible to have enough time to attack a cruise missile.

Probably S-300 or SA-11 if they did intercept cruise missiles. It is technically possible to hit a cruise missile with MANPADS but it takes nearly perfect circumstances and a bit of luck. The limitation is less the seeker head itself and more the operator seeing the low flying missile and getting the shot off with the proper kinematics to make an intercept in time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The last I saw of it, the Kunetszov was trying really hard to sink itself.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

This twitter account routinely posts bullshit.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Saukkis posted:

Speaking of which - I've just seen a twitter video supposedly of a hypersonic missile being used for the first time...

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

mlmp08 posted:

Probably S-300 or SA-11 if they did intercept cruise missiles. It is technically possible to hit a cruise missile with MANPADS but it takes nearly perfect circumstances and a bit of luck. The limitation is less the seeker head itself and more the operator seeing the low flying missile and getting the shot off with the proper kinematics to make an intercept in time.

Yeah, this is basically my take on it. Even if you've got an early warning network cueing you in on where to look it's gonna be really hard to visually acquire something the size of a cruise missile with enough time to shoot it. Tactical SAM systems like the SA-11 are designed with cruise missiles in mind as a target set.

One thing that might make a lucky MANPADS shot easier is if Russia is using the same routing for multiple missiles, which gives a MANPADS operator some opportunity to get a sense of what to look for and where. Kind of like what happened with the F-117 that got shot down.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Roblo posted:

Speaking of which - I've just seen a twitter video supposedly of a hypersonic missile being used for the first time...

I can't imagine they have too many of those, and they must be horribly expensive.

I'm also sure they really didn't want to have to use those and reveal their performance to the west.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cimber posted:

I can't imagine they have too many of those, and they must be horribly expensive.

I'm also sure they really didn't want to have to use those and reveal their performance to the west.

Russia's defense ministry is saying they fired one at an underground bunker.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f081efd3276f8d5

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

He's Ukrainian, in Kyiv right now, and embedded with the army there, so while I'd say take the usual fog of war + nationalism grains of salt I haven't seen a whole lot of outright bullshit from him.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KitConstantine posted:

He's Ukrainian, in Kyiv right now, and embedded with the army there, so while I'd say take the usual fog of war + nationalism grains of salt I haven't seen a whole lot of outright bullshit from him.

:same:

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1505116181933563908?s=20&t=RE2FqnZXBXSKzDiY6Vlaxw

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mlmp08 posted:

I bet you tell people the Ghost of Kyiv isn't real

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I bet you tell people the Ghost of Kyiv isn't real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynJc0YZkA3k

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Can we not post :nms: of war crimes?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
A colleague of mine is in Ukraine and published an article on the mix of people joining the Ukrainian Foreign Legion. It confirms a lot of Jack Murphy’s feelings about fighting another countries wars.

https://twitter.com/TaskandPurpose/status/1504988566421745664?s=20&t=V1NLXGk-xO7ctu7bs4uPcw

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

He posted about how his proud brothers made him an honorary azov battalion artilleryman the other day so im not taking much at face value from him

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I was expecting more hardbass to be backing the videos coming out of the war. Is hardbass passe now?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I might misreamember, but I recall reading somewhere that logistics tended to be one of the few strong points of near east Arabic militaries, because it was a dead end from a promotion perspective.

Everything else was poo poo because of rampant nepotism, but logistics had more eggheads and less failsons, so it tended to work. Maybe Putin intends to outsource logistics?

bees everywhere posted:

The US still does that routinely (especially in the Navy), but there's a big difference in what happens to them after they get fired.

I saw plenty of officers get "fired" and most of them honestly deserved it. They get moved to a different job and then in most cases they leave the military since their careers are effectively over. The most humiliating reassignment I ever heard about was a lieutenant in my brigade who became the "Brigade Morale Officer" or something like that, and his job was basically to make birthday cards. He was out by the time I got there but I heard they were actually really well made, like this guy spent a few hours every day with an arts & crafts kit making elaborate & unique birthday cards for each soldier in the brigade. Maybe he got a job for Hallmark after :lol:

Russia also has a history of doing that, consider e.g the career of Kliment Voroshilov:

Wikipedia posted:

Voroshilov commanded Soviet troops during the Winter War from November 1939 to January 1940 but, due to poor Soviet planning and Voroshilov's incompetence as a general, the Red Army suffered about 320,000 casualties compared to 70,000 Finnish casualties. When the leadership gathered at Stalin's dacha at Kuntsevo, Stalin shouted at Voroshilov for the losses; Voroshilov replied in kind, blaming the failure on Stalin for eliminating the Red Army's best generals in his purges. Voroshilov followed this retort by smashing a platter of roast suckling pig on the table. Nikita Khrushchev said it was the only time he ever witnessed such an outburst. Voroshilov was nonetheless made the scapegoat for the initial failures in Finland. He was later replaced as Defense Commissar by Semyon Timoshenko. Voroshilov was then made Deputy Premier responsible for cultural matters.

He got another go at generalling during the siege of Leningrad which... did not go well, so he was once again replaced with someone who knew what they were doing, this time Zhukov.

Voroshilov's main talent was kissing Stalin's rear end. Khrushchev allegedly once referred to him as "the biggest sack of poo poo in the army" after Stalin died.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I might misreamember, but I recall reading somewhere that logistics tended to be one of the few strong points of near east Arabic militaries, because it was a dead end from a promotion perspective.

Everything else was poo poo because of rampant nepotism, but logistics had more eggheads and less failsons, so it tended to work. Maybe Putin intends to outsource logistics?

Russia also has a history of doing that, consider e.g the career of Kliment Voroshilov:

He got another go at generalling during the siege of Leningrad which... did not go well, so he was once again replaced with someone who knew what they were doing, this time Zhukov.

Voroshilov's main talent was kissing Stalin's rear end. Khrushchev allegedly once referred to him as "the biggest sack of poo poo in the army" after Stalin died.

lol how the gently caress did he survive that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

lol how the gently caress did he survive that

Blame game respect game