Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Skwirl posted:

In defense of grandmas who's recipes are "a pinch of that, a pinch of this,"

Some of the best advice I've read in a cookbook is to start out following recipes that specify 1 tsp, 1/2 tsp, etc., but dump the measured amount into the palm of your hand to start getting a feel for what 1 tsp dried basil looks like. After a while, gently caress the measuring spoon, you've got a calibrated (enough) system for cooking*, because you should be tasting and adjusting along the way, anyway.

Also write all over your cookbooks. Any little thing you learn in the process of making something is good to remember ahead of time the next time.

*obviously does not apply to baking, don't even try to jump in here with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Blessing the new page with Toby box pets. When I get home he runs to this box yelling, then screams until he gets pets.

https://i.imgur.com/GHcfuHh.mp4

T-Square
May 14, 2009

That’s a good kitty.

When I do red sauce I just sauté some diced onion and garlic in a healthy glug of olive oil, smash a can of San Marzanos, toss in some tomato paste, S&P, oregano and red pepper flakes and a sprig of fresh basil. Maybe a Parmesan rind if I have one and a healthy pinch of sugar if I’m feelin it, and let it do it’s thing for a while.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

I could handle the recipe better if it was a "pinch of this" but it's more like "pour a big mound of this in your palm" and I don't know if it's a teaspoon or two tablespoons or what :shrug:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Its Rinaldo posted:

White sauce superior, red sauce infearior! Rinaldo has spoken! Don't @ me!

Food enemy. I do not like alfredo.

I think Italian Nonnas are very protective of their recipes so if you get a recipe from a Nonna you should expect that they have intentionally left off a critical ingredient because they don't want your version to be better than theirs. I stand by this.

And the best cooks measure with their heart.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
This isn't life changing like the One True Chili recipe that ToasterBeef (?) shared, but here is my fantastic spag sauce. I don't like runny sauces, this is pretty thicc.

Ingredients:

1.5 lb ground beef
1 lb hot breakfast sausage
2 cloves garlic
1 28oz can whole tomatoes
1 12 oz can tomato paste
2 tbs dried parley
2 tbs dried basil
0.5 tsp salt

Prep:

In large skillet, combine beef, sausage, & garlic. Cook over med-high until browned. Drain about half the fat.

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Todays boat day is sponsored by Electric Callboy again and a whole new group of people got to be shocked and so far, oddly titillated, by this weird rear end band. It’s such a vibe.

Truly the chat threads greatest contribution, personally, to my life over the past 2 years. Whoever posted them originally is an all star

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Samadhi posted:

Each has their place and can be amazing in different ways, but for overall utility and ease red sauce wins out friend

Braksgirl posted:

Food enemy. I do not like alfredo.

Ugh he specifically said to not @ him on this

Presumably because you’re supposed to be busy tracking him down and breaking his legs with a pasta roller. He’s over there, let’s get him!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Alfredo is okay once in a while.

For me, when I'm tired of red sauce I usually make a nice white wine sauce instead. It's hard to go wrong with but it is mostly olive oil and butter so it's really not healthy.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anyone ever check out the Pasta Grannies channel on YouTube? https://www.youtube.com/c/pastagrannies123

Also, my dad got a dog about a month ago. Meet Emmy, 3 years old, born on my 40th birthday:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Emmy is very curious about the camera and or any treats someone might be holding. Getting a bit impatient in the second shot.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Born your 40th birthday? Looks like dad has his replacement son.

That’s a good dog though.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Anyone ever check out the Pasta Grannies channel on YouTube? https://www.youtube.com/c/pastagrannies123

Also, my dad got a dog about a month ago. Meet Emmy, 3 years old, born on my 40th birthday:

I wanna boop that snoot

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I threw a kickass St Patricks Day / March Madness / housewarming party on Thursday. Still riding some incredible vibes of having cooked a bunch of tasty food for people, although I am now stacked with leftover cottage pie and reubens. Kind of a mixed blessing!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Todays boat day is sponsored by Electric Callboy again and a whole new group of people got to be shocked and so far, oddly titillated, by this weird rear end band. It’s such a vibe.

Truly the chat threads greatest contribution, personally, to my life over the past 2 years. Whoever posted them originally is an all star
Agreed! They're touring the US in October and I'm hoping I remember I already bought a ticket.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/UCAFT_UCLA/status/1504941070299193346?t=bWBin9dVbEfFJxCBR9Ac5g&s=19

Wow why don't academics want to work?!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Do any of you wear home shoes? Like a pair of comfy moccasins that you wear exclusively inside your home?

My feet have weird arches. So standing is more comfortable when I have insoles.

Trying to find nice indoor shoes that will support the feet.

Next level audacity

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Some quick facts about UCLA

Approximate student body, 44,947

In-state tuition 13,249 USD, Out-of-state tuition 43,003 USD

Annual salary Chip Kelly, UCLA Bruins – $5.6 million.

So they're in a tough spot. Not much they can do for someone as unessential as the person teaching chemistry and biochemistry.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Has-been coach $5,600,000
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my university is dying

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I've woken (and sober'd) up and come to see a bunch of wrong opinions. Red sauce is fine but white sauce has a higher ceiling while red sauce has a higher floor.

Also a bunch of good pets.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

My sister in law got my kid power wheels for his birthday and I want to kill myself. I don’t know where I’m going to put this thing.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Sorry to hear about your cat shrimp. Our cat is going through kidney failure right now. It sounds like a lot of other people ITT have dealt with it, so here’s what we’ve learned to be the best way to deliver the subcutaneous fluids.

1) give the cat 50mg gabapentin
2) wait 2+ hours for it to kick in
3) throw the fluid bag in a bucket with a sous vide set to 101*, shouldn’t have to wait long after the SV reaches temperature
4) have cat in lap on floor with one person securing cat and the line about four inches past the needle, while other person hangs bag up high or holds bag and squeezes to make it as quick as possible

The gabapentin makes the cat more chill, they can’t really feel the needle going in to the nape of their neck, but unless you heat up the fluids they will be annoyed at first with them being room temp instead of cat body temp. Once we figured out the SV the cat barely even notices and will actually purr while we’re administering the fluids.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Cannot confirm this speculation but experience in academia makes it plausible: that could be a posting for a specific person who is in another program already who needs teaching experience and cannot, due to grant or other funding requirements take a separate paid job. The university requirements for positions thought require an "open posting" so there it is and they assume nobody else will apply for it.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Sorry about your kitty and also Shrimp’s kitty :( But congrats on your friend Big Char today

Also I’m headed to my grandmas for the first time since pre-covid and Jesus Christ I forgot how depressing most of lower Michigan is, no wonder Lions fans are Lions fans

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Do any of you wear home shoes? Like a pair of comfy moccasins that you wear exclusively inside your home?

I have high arches to the point I have two separate footprints on each foot. I wear boots outside. If you're looking for something with arch support, I usually just wear Brooks Running or Asics shoes with maximum support indoors. I take them out to run too but I'm also an obsessive cleaner.

Asics usually specialize in arch support and are half as expensive, if you were looking for something indoors.

If you really want a moccasin or driving shoe, wait for Allen Edmonds to have a sale. They're selling for $300, but they have a sales yearly that take 40% off. They have shoe sizes to accommodate high arches and can last a really long time.

I pretty much always used eBay for used shoes and drive to a cobbler to resole them. They're not worth the list price, but they're going to accommodate high arches in a way cheaper shoes don't.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Forrest on Fire posted:

I have high arches to the point I have two separate footprints on each foot. I wear boots outside. If you're looking for something with arch support, I usually just wear Brooks Running or Asics shoes with maximum support indoors. I take them out to run too but I'm also an obsessive cleaner.

Asics usually specialize in arch support and are half as expensive, if you were looking for something indoors.

If you really want a moccasin or driving shoe, wait for Allen Edmonds to have a sale. They're selling for $300, but they have a sales yearly that take 40% off. They have shoe sizes to accommodate high arches and can last a really long time.

I pretty much always used eBay for used shoes and drive to a cobbler to resole them. They're not worth the list price, but they're going to accommodate high arches in a way cheaper shoes don't.

Neat, yeah, I'm just looking for arch support for strictly-inside-my-home shoes.

I'll look at those options.

I'll also look at arch-specialized Asics running shoes for actual, ya know, running! It's been a dickens trying to find running shoes that perform well with my feet.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

By coincidence, yesterday I went to a shoe store my podiatrist sent me to to buy house slippers because I blew out a tendon in my foot and now am verboten from walking bare foot or in socks as much as possible.

He recommended a brand called Halflinger, and while they were pricey at $150 but they seem to be comfy but have a lot of arch support. He also said Birkenstocks work too, but most I saw were outdoor sandals.

I also got insoles for my Brooks sneakers, the brand was Superfeet Green

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My dog just got back from a grooming

As a bonus I found one of the videos of when I first got her

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

I could handle the recipe better if it was a "pinch of this" but it's more like "pour a big mound of this in your palm" and I don't know if it's a teaspoon or two tablespoons or what :shrug:

Get to know your herbs and spices. There's a few that are quite strong, and you really need to care about the difference between a half tsp and a whole tsp. But there's also quite a lot that are relatively mild in flavor-per-amount, and you can absolutely double or triple the amount you add to a pot of sauce without loving it up.

Like, that recipe I posted before, I really don't measure most of that stuff. If I put triple the normal amount of oregano into a half gallon of tomato sauce, it'll be a bit more aromatic, but it won't ruin it at all. That's why there's not a big need to carefully measure.

Additionally? Dried herbs lose flavor over time. Your grandma might have been using fresh basil out of the garden, recently-dried basil grown locally, or a jar of dried basil that's been on the shelf for four years already. You should adjust for how old your stuff is. I'm not one of those people who obsessively throws out any dried herbs that are over a year old or something, I just add some more than usual of stuff that's got some age to it.

Lastly, I think these recipes are intended to be adjusted for preferences. I like a heavily-seasoned sauce, apparently based on other recipes posted here a lot of people prefer the simplicity of just tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, and basil. I think at the least, parsley is mandatory in a red spaghetti sauce (and for that matter, a huge swathe of Italian cooking) but apparently lots of folks don't. Weird. But OK! Maybe some people hate the taste of parsley! You can go easy on it or skip it.

If you really, really want actual measurements, for my recipe use four tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley or two tablespoons of dried; two tablespoons of dried oregano; one tablespoon of each of the remaining herbs except only one teaspoon of fennel seed and one teaspoon of dried basil. That'll get you started.

MrLogan posted:

This isn't life changing like the One True Chili recipe that ToasterBeef (?) shared, but here is my fantastic spag sauce. I don't like runny sauces, this is pretty thicc.

Ingredients:

1.5 lb ground beef
1 lb hot breakfast sausage
2 cloves garlic
1 28oz can whole tomatoes
1 12 oz can tomato paste
2 tbs dried parley
2 tbs dried basil
0.5 tsp salt

Prep:

In large skillet, combine beef, sausage, & garlic. Cook over med-high until browned. Drain about half the fat.

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

This is a lot of meat in proportion to the tomato. Quite a meaty sauce. I'm also raising my eyebrows suspiciously at "breakfast sausage." Try your recipe with some good sweet italian sausage, maybe?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 19, 2022

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Chorizo is good in everything

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Neat, yeah, I'm just looking for arch support for strictly-inside-my-home shoes.

I'll look at those options.

I'll also look at arch-specialized Asics running shoes for actual, ya know, running! It's been a dickens trying to find running shoes that perform well with my feet.

I wear Archies flip flops inside the house. They're expensive for rubber flip flops but they're comfy with great arch support and I like how the strap that fits over the top part of the foot is tighter because I have high arches, but flatter feet, if that makes any sense. Plus they're molded and all one piece so the strap is not going to pop out of the shoe.

I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot and went to physical therapy all last summer for it. It's mostly cleared up now but I wear my Archies in the house and I have The Foot Chair arch supports in my Brooks sneakers. I also replace my sneakers about every 4-5 months, more if I've been on walk-heavy trips.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 19, 2022

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Birkenstocks. I don’t wear them exclusively inside, but around the house quite a bit.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Its Rinaldo posted:

I’ve been using cured Spanish chorizo for weekend breakfast, slice some of that thin and fry til crispy and throw it in a tortilla with some scrambled eggs and hot sauce, mmmh

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
For our one year olds birthday party this weekend my wife crafted this masterpiece that looks like her favorite toy

Orange flavored cake with vanilla frosting based on a yellow cake recipe sorry braks

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Qwijib0 posted:

For our one year olds birthday party this weekend my wife crafted this masterpiece that looks like her favorite toy

Orange flavored cake with vanilla frosting based on a yellow cake recipe sorry braks

:hmmyes:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
That's some fine cakery right there

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
My contribution was the wheels which are two water crackers stuffed with cream cheese frosting then covered in fondant. The kids will love them. "Oops all frosting"

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Its Rinaldo posted:

He also said Birkenstocks work too, but most I saw were outdoor sandals.

Neil Armbong posted:

Birkenstocks. I don’t wear them exclusively inside, but around the house quite a bit.

Birkenstocks (and whatever their closed-toed offshoot brand was) were all I wore until they started making insoles: https://www.birkenstock.com/us/men/accessories/arch-supports-and-insoles/

Most house-shoes that aren't fluffy slippers should be able to accommodate those.

I'm pretty duck-footed, and roll in on my arches walking. After wearing cheap shoes standing on concrete for 8 hours in high school retail jobs, I basically couldn't walk when I got home. Got some prescription insoles, but found out pretty quick my birks were as effective.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Qwijib0 posted:

Sure it looks great, but I’m sure the sound is terrible.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

T-Square posted:

I’ve been using cured Spanish chorizo for weekend breakfast, slice some of that thin and fry til crispy and throw it in a tortilla with some scrambled eggs and hot sauce, mmmh

God I'd kill for some spanish chorizo

Not that I don't love mexican chorizo but it's a different thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted: