Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Cloks posted:

that's a good point, what's going to happen to all these seed bank esque labs once we really start doing the collapse?

someone will probably burn them down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

sw0cb posted:

Everyone in this thread should see a coral reef (like get in the water with one) before they are all gone, if you can. They are so loving incredibly cool up close, I don't think the english language has a word to describe how evil what we are doing to them is

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i’ve had my clownfish for 12 years now!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

https://fortune.com/2021/11/15/cop26-cryptocurrency-owning-climate-activists-bitcoin-blockchain-energy-use/

[Extinction and Rebellion] saving the planet by supporting bitcoin mines

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

CODChimera posted:

cmon they have to at least pretend to be trying

engendering hopelessness is the The Point

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

huh, so if we just do all of those things, at the same time, permanently, we'll make a small dent in the goal of stopping rising temperatures! sounds great!

what's the worst that could happen! :)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

sw0cb posted:

Everyone in this thread should see a coral reef (like get in the water with one) before they are all gone, if you can. They are so loving incredibly cool up close, I don't think the english language has a word to describe how evil what we are doing to them is

great idea op, i'm buying as many plane tickets as i can to fly to and see all the coral reefs and eat fresh fish. hope i get the last one!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

we'll never run out of fish

im counting increasingly large groups of jellyfish as fish because its right there in the name

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

blatman posted:

we'll never run out of fish

im counting increasingly large groups of jellyfish as fish because its right there in the name

drat that is a good point.

things aren't looking so bad!!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Colin Mockery posted:

saving the planet by supporting bitcoin mines

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I really do want that as thread title / gangtag / smilie

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

actionjackson posted:

I really do want that as thread title / gangtag / smilie

For real what else are IKs for

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
some good news to roll into the weekend with

https://twitter.com/carlzimmer/status/1504940438142259200?s=10

quote:

The historically high temperatures in Antarctica follow a pulse of exceptional warmth on the planet’s opposite end. On Wednesday, temperatures near the North Pole catapulted 50 degrees above normal, close to the melting point.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Face the BOE

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

sw0cb posted:

Capitalism?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

sw0cb posted:

when i was in undergrad in the early 2000's, we had a coral biologist in our environmental studies 201 class said if you wanted to see coral in florida, you better go right now before it turned into algae flats. he was right, and it's all gone now and forgotten.

10 years later, i had a job interview in hawaii, and i hiked down to snorkel a reef that was below the cliff my hostel sat on. this was my first coral reef, and i was blown away how alien it felt...so many forms and shapes. i then took the best nap i ever had under a scrubby tree while the radiant heat of the sun-warmed lava rock created the perfect temperature while I could see dozens of yellow tangs in the water to my immediate left.

sweet, i still have the photo of the nap spot:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

that's hell opening up

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Stevie Lee posted:

that's hell opening up

There's an escape from here open now?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

so many major vibe shifts

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

no, that's too major

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

no, that's too major

zerocool, less horrifying

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

slaps melting arctic ice
This bad boy can fit so many bdelloid rotifers

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

SKULL.GIF posted:

no, that's too major

Vibe Shift More Major Than Previously Thought

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

AceClown posted:

slaps melting arctic ice

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

AceClown posted:

slaps melting arctic ice

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The huge wild fires are accelerating arctic ice melting, basically the dirty particles absorb a lot more solar energy as they settle on ice

https://twitter.com/CellPressNews/status/1504835021202505729

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

AceClown posted:

slaps melting arctic ice

image taken moments after reactivation of the perfect life form from its frozen state just before it annihilates the ice cap

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hekaton posted:

image taken moments after reactivation of the perfect life form from its frozen state just before it annihilates the ice cap

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

hekaton posted:

lmfao

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

hekaton posted:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

hekaton posted:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nikosoft posted:

zerocool, less horrifying

things aren’t that bad, yet :stonklol:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1505269060711469066

quote:

SHANGHAI, Feb 24 (Reuters) - China started building 33 gigawatts of new coal-fired power generation capacity last year, the most since 2016, research published on Thursday showed, a sign the country is falling back on fossil fuels as economic worries mount.

The newly added capacity under construction was three times more than the rest of the world combined, said Helsinki-based Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA) and U.S. think tank Global Energy Monitor (GEM).

While new permits were suspended in 2021, they resumed in 2022, with five projects with a total capacity of 7.3 GW approved for construction in the first six weeks of the year, the research showed.

China also approved 74 million tonnes of replacement coal-based steel production capacity last year, more than the whole of the rest of the world.

CREA and GEM said, "There is no space for this new capacity to be utilised under the goals of the Paris Agreement", adding it could leave China with an additional $90 billion to $130 billion in stranded assets.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Hey, don't disparage Glorious Zhōngguó!

They've committed to reducing their fossil fuel consumption and everyone should just assume they will and always give them the benefit of all doubts! :china:

:jerkbag:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
70 degrees hotter than normal. Shouldn't uh, everyone be shrieking about this?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

T-Paine posted:

It's a dry heat.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

T-Paine posted:

I am starting a charity to distribute suntan lotion & margaritas to the penguins

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

T-Paine posted:

70 degrees LESS COLD, duh

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

T-Paine posted:

actually its only 40 degrees celsius

not that bad, yet

edit: part of me thinks "70 degrees above normal in antarctica" would be a funny thread title, but another part of me thinks it might be mean to make people read that without choosing to click into the thread...

Colin Mockery has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Mar 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
nobody gives a gently caress about 40