Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Issa Lopez (of Tigers Are Not Afraid fame) and Barry Jenkins(!) are developing a new season of True Detective(!!) reportedly set in the Arctic(!!!).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/true-detective-season-4-barry-jenkins-hbo-1235114891/

So yeah, sweet.

Hell yes. I’m down for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Human Resources is not great. Turns out maybe the human characters that remind you of all the poo poo you grow up with is more important than just jamming all the various monsters on screen at once. A shame.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

Perhaps at the end of the day I just liked season 3 better because Mahershala Ali did an amazing job and his partner just becoming a crotchety old man keeping a dozen dogs spoke to me more than what the home lives in the previous seasons were like

Liked your review and agreed. Season 1 was great but Mahershala Ali just owned season 3 and it was beautiful. Season 2 had a couple of good scenes (the bar when nobody talked and you just wallowed in noir or the big shootout) but it was really bad outside of those. Not even talking about compared to season 1, it was just lame. Season 3 had a good plot about loss that really hit home and Mahershala Ali. That end scene where’s he still wandering through the jungle just hit me HARD. Good season that doesn’t get near enough credit.

So watching four shows on my sister’s HBO Max. Fringe is still amazing but 2 and 3 were the best. I enjoyed season 1 but it was definitely the weakest and I can see many skipping out. Our Flag Means Death is a cute show. Its definitely a different show than What We Do In Shadows but not a complaint. Kinda sweet and 100% improves once Blackbeard shows up.Really enjoying it and can guess it will probably get passed over by most but it’s a sweet, happy show that will make you chuckle now and then.

Raised by Wolves is INSANE! This show was made to get hosed up and have in the background. Last season dragged a little before giving us the God Emperor Spess Snek but this season feels like I’m just constantly drinking liquid acid. Can’t say it’s going to make sense but it’s art. Reminds me of a less coherent sci fi cousin of Twin Peaks: the Return. The actors Mother and Father are S tier and Space Ragnar is still Space Ragnar on drugs but they make it work. If this gets renewed again I will be surprised but definitely worth a look.

DMZ? <sigh> Young me loved this comic even though the ending was mid, or so I remember. Some of the actors are good but this does not seem like an HBO show. Feels like ABC or another US network got the rights and made this. Has the name and all but just repeats normal American tv tropes. I know the whole “MAH FAMILY” hook is an easy lure to bag tons of mainstream eyes but I’m just so tired of it. The comic main had a good intro into the DMZ and I was sad to see this. Really the plot and dialogue is just the exact thing you’d see in an ABC or CBS show. I WANT to like this more and will struggle through, like I did with Y but man…what a waste of Hoon Lee. Hate typing this.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
I realize I'm late to the party but were there problems behind the scenes on The Book of Fett?

I just watched the first two episodes and ep 1 was bad to the point it felt like the production got cut short and they had to cut in half-shot scenes in order to hit mandatory universe tie-ins. Like on top of the "bad," some scenes didn't make any sense.

On top of that - just a perfect storm of bad. A weak lead, mediocre foil without much to work with, bad scripts, bad direction, etc.

False fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 19, 2022

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

DMZ? <sigh> Young me loved this comic even though the ending was mid, or so I remember. Some of the actors are good but this does not seem like an HBO show. Feels like ABC or another US network got the rights and made this. Has the name and all but just repeats normal American tv tropes. I know the whole “MAH FAMILY” hook is an easy lure to bag tons of mainstream eyes but I’m just so tired of it. The comic main had a good intro into the DMZ and I was sad to see this. Really the plot and dialogue is just the exact thing you’d see in an ABC or CBS show. I WANT to like this more and will struggle through, like I did with Y but man…what a waste of Hoon Lee. Hate typing this.

The best part of the DMZ comics were how much more we got to see of how people lived there and what the society was like. It's a very rich world; making it the Zee Show is a waste. I 100% agree the comics had a perfect hook, an audience insert character experiencing the DMZ for the first time as an outsider and not someone with a singular goal who couldn't care less about the DMZ who becomes one of the most important people on the island in a week.

This show really loves the forty guns cocking in rapid succession sound effect too.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 19, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

Alma Ortega, an NYC medic, becomes a symbol of hope in a demilitarized Manhattan Island while trying to find her lost son during the Second American Civil War.

Haha this is a really cool one sentence premise that I would probably watch if not for just having heard it sucks. It's the kind of thing where I'm most interested in the setting than I would be probably anyone specific, almost to the point where I want it to be a videogame RPG?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Haha this is a really cool one sentence premise that I would probably watch if not for just having heard it sucks. It's the kind of thing where I'm most interested in the setting than I would be probably anyone specific, almost to the point where I want it to be a videogame RPG?

It kinda sounds like The Division lol

Edit : what show is it actually though? I’m not sure of the title.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Enjoying Human Resources more than I thought I would (and I thought I would enjoy it). The opening credits are growing on me, despite being possibly the most basic concept imaginable. I just wish the music was edited slightly better.

"Love is smothering, like a rogue nurse who has taken mercy into her own hands!"

MarcusSA posted:

It kinda sounds like The Division lol

Edit : what show is it actually though? I’m not sure of the title.

DMZ, on Max.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 19, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Enjoying Human Resources more than I thought I would (and I thought I would enjoy it). The opening credits are growing on me, despite being possibly the most basic concept imaginable. I just wish the music was edited slightly better.

"Love is smothering, like a rogue nurse who has taken mercy into her own hands!"

DMZ, on Max.

Thanks!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Amy Schumer new show Life & Beth on Hulu is pretty great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks like a devastatingly realistic sequel to her Trainwreck movie. I'm in.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Looks like a devastatingly realistic sequel to her Trainwreck movie. I'm in.

Yup! Thats perfect way to describe it. Feels like her version of a Better Things kind of show. Very well shot and acted. The Karoake part was so painful.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 19, 2022

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot that Welcome to Flatch was the US remake of This Country. I'll try be optimistic and separate it from the source material, and as usual just hope that the writers work out how to localise something properly rather than just switch references around.

What did you think of it? Im so happy to see Aya Cash continue to kill it.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

The best part of the DMZ comics were how much more we got to see of how people lived there and what the society was like. It's a very rich world; making it the Zee Show is a waste. I 100% agree the comics had a perfect hook, an audience insert character experiencing the DMZ for the first time as an outsider and not someone with a singular goal who couldn't care less about the DMZ who becomes one of the most important people on the island in a week.

This show really loves the forty guns cocking in rapid succession sound effect too.
Yeah the setting is what really hooked me back in the day. The first issue about the Ghosts of Central Park really grabbed me hard. The lead in the comic was just a lucky intern slotted into a news crew and soldiers that got ganked so he was a good insert. He grew as the world did and it felt huge compared to the tv show. The tv show feels like a couple of blocks and you never find out anything about the civil war except sometimes the US kills people trying to flee until they don’t. Whole world is nothing but set dressing for a very typical tv “MAH FAMILY” plot until the very end and even the delivery of that end is very average mainstream American tv show.

That cocking gun trope. Ugh. I loved the “someone is about to break through our wall so everyone stand in the open ready” Hollywood trope too.

Khanstant posted:

Probably a more accurate summary is: Former Doctor goes back to her hood to find her long lost son. She finds her son is being raised by her ex, the boy’s father, who is a Mob Kingpin and wants to take over all of the city as it’s mayor. Can she help her son overcome the evil influence of her nefarious ex and survive herself? Tune in to find out in DMZ: brought to you by Lifetime Movies!

Not even worth a hate watch. Boring and trope after trope with dialogue written by the laziest tv writer’s intern over cocktails. The setting could be really cool but you never really see much of it outside someone talking about “don’t go there as there are cannibal cultists” or “the US likes to snipe people who get too close” or bad cgi animals. It’s a couple of blocks of sets at most. Again I really do hate typing this as the comic would have made a great show. Just this ain’t it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol at wanting to be mayor of your local apocalypse zone. lol at wanting to be the mayor of anything really, but doubly do when it very much sounds like a cartoon idea of a king who gets the most treasure and make everyone else do their chores and you be the boss of everyone and they have to listen to you because you're the mr.mayor. maybe im bein naive but i feel like the true opportunity to leech off a position of power is when there are already existing structures to support your hierarchy as well as a self reinforcing mass of willing lessers who will do all the work and systematically reinforce your power imbalance. actually, this kind of thinking is why i will never be a small time ganglord or dictator of an unstable failing state.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Liked the first episode of Welcome To Flatch more than I expected. Will definitely continue. Was less into the first episode of Life & Beth but will keep watching until Cera shows up at least.

Three eps into Human Resources and I like it about as much as Big Mouth, although the main storyline with Aidy Bryant as the Love Bug for the new mom is probably the weakest part of it so far.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DMZ really sucks. And it should be a show that is right up my alley. Bad writing, terrible production, and a dull story.

I have no clue how this made it to HBO considering their stellar track record. It feels like a bad TNT show. A real shame since I have heard the comic is great and the story sounded fascinating in previews.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Niwrad posted:

DMZ really sucks. And it should be a show that is right up my alley. Bad writing, terrible production, and a dull story.

I have no clue how this made it to HBO considering their stellar track record. It feels like a bad TNT show. A real shame since I have heard the comic is great and the story sounded fascinating in previews.

It's HBO Max, not HBO, and I get the feeling even they didn't think it was up to much given that they didn't invest a lot of money behind it and it's and only four episodes long.

It kinda does suck though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Here's an article about how covid impacted the production https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/reviews/22983655/dmz-review-hbo-max

Apparently it was meant to be an entire season then they just focused on 4 eps. Shame.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What did you think of it? Im so happy to see Aya Cash continue to kill it.

Trying to find some time to give it a shot. The first 7 of 10 episodes are out so at least there’s a good sample.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s kind of a shame new sitcoms are getting 10-episode orders now instead of 13. I get how COVID has probably impacted budgets but it’s like how Girls5eva s1 only had 8 episodes :(

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's DMZ and the plot is shallower than a Call of Duty game. You're telling me both candidates are being propped up by the warring powers? WhoaoaoaoOOoohh. Good thing we the audience are given any reason to care about any of the characters. Or any of the factions. Or that any of the characters give us insight as to what the factions or FSA/USA are about, besides what their costumes look like.

The COVID impact makes sense. "We retooled our huge interesting world concept to make it character driven" is such producer cop out though. It's a bummer when you don't have the money or time to make the show you want to, but words are free.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 19, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah as expected the best things about Flatch are the stuff they came up with from scratch like the new characters, the worst parts are the copy pasting of the original stuff which probably won’t bother anyone who hasn’t seen the UK one at least. The scarecrow thing translated well at least but looking forward to seeing scenarios they’ve thought of themselves.

Girl who plays Kelly is pretty good which is surprising as it’s basically just an impression of Daisy really, not sure I’m feeling Shrub yet but at least he’s not just being Kurtan. Hope it finds its feet as the original is great and there’s definitely potential.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 19, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
DMZ was bad which is a shame because I like Dawson, Brett, and Lee.

I didn't read the comics, but why is Manhattan of all places a DMZ? It didn't make sense to me geographically.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

False posted:

I realize I'm late to the party but were there problems behind the scenes on The Book of Fett?

consensus is that the show was made because Pedro was doing something else. a villain in the final episode asks, "one thing I don't get: what's your angle in all this?" which is a great meta commentary on the show. the show had no reason to exist and never found one.

basically the execs said "make a show" and that is exactly what they did. it is a show. it is a show with ideas that are executed and things happen with all the passion of a 59 year old waitress waiting for her smoke break.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

False posted:

I just watched the first two episodes and ep 1 was bad to the point it felt like the production got cut short and they had to cut in half-shot scenes in order to hit mandatory universe tie-ins. Like on top of the "bad," some scenes didn't make any sense.

On top of that - just a perfect storm of bad. A weak lead, mediocre foil without much to work with, bad scripts, bad direction, etc.

It was probably just a first draft script because there are a lot of things that don't really make sense like you said. But the real problem is that it makes Boba Fett look like a moron.

One example is that at one point he basically says "I have a lot of money but no hired guns." And then Ming Na Wen informs him that he can solve this problem because money can be exchanged for goods and services. Dude was a bounty hunter his whole life. :psyduck:

Or that other time he decided to dive back into the sarlacc pit wearing his robes because he thought his armor was down there. Which makes no sense because even if he can't remember that his armor was stolen, did he think that he stripped it off before climbing out of the pit? Why would it be down there Boba?

My canon is that the sarlacc pit melted his loving brain. And then melted it some more during his return visit because Boba is very loving stupid.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

consensus is that the show was made because Pedro was doing something else. a villain in the final episode asks, "one thing I don't get: what's your angle in all this?" which is a great meta commentary on the show. the show had no reason to exist and never found one.

:agreed:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Welcome To Flatch episode 2: Gretchen and Edgar are interacting!!!!!!!!!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The ongoing attempt since Mandalorian Season 2 to turn Star Wars into a *cinematic universe* is really killing my interest in all of it, tbh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Same but with starting with Empire Strikes Back.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

DMZ was bad which is a shame because I like Dawson, Brett, and Lee.

I didn't read the comics, but why is Manhattan of all places a DMZ? It didn't make sense to me geographically.

IIRC it was just a thing where both sides wanted it but neither could take it so they just made it off limits.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Someone suggested reading Disney War because of how insane the late Eisner era was and they weren't kidding.

Dude gets butthurt because Katzenberg releases a Vision Memo styled after something Eisner himself did a decade earlier and never let's the dude get ahead as a result. Loses his co-partner/President, has a heart attack, then comes back and absolutely fucks over as many people as he can for petty and asinine reasons. Had a chance to settle with Katzenberg when he screwed him over by not giving him the company presidency for 90M, scuttled the deal at the 11th hour and the resulting lawsuit cost something like 200M. Hires his friend Ovitz away from a lucrative self-employed gig as Hollywood's most influential agent approving the contract without the Disney board having a say, allows underlings to bypass him and absolutely squashes anything he presents to grow the business, let's Ovitz leave and grants him like a $120M severance.

Like the man mist have been deprived of Oxygen during his bypass because holy loving hell.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 19, 2022

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

The ongoing attempt since Mandalorian Season 2 to turn Star Wars into a *cinematic universe* is really killing my interest in all of it, tbh

Filoni et al have a good feel for what people like about star wars. unfortunately they are also super self indulgent and love their ocs. Mando S2 was starting down the path that rebels did where the self indulgence starts to outweigh the good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Filoni et al have a good feel for what people like about star wars.

1. Boba fett
2. ???

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Mando S2 was starting down the path that rebels did where the self indulgence starts to outweigh the good.

I wonder if any valid criticism can even get through to them. The loudest voices are either the diehard "I love everything Star Wars does no matter what" dorks or the diehard "gently caress this show they hosed up my headcanon" dweebs. I'm sure people are employed at Disney to gauge fan reaction or whatever for marketing purposes, but I wonder if it's all set up to create an echo chamber at the top.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

1. Boba fett
2. ???

Mando S1 and Clone Wars are both very good.

Rebels and Mando S2 had their moments but had some OC poisoning and just horrific bullshit like Thrawn.

Boba Fett is a complete miss. The trend is concerning but Mando is still the best Star Wars since 83.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

I wonder if any valid criticism can even get through to them. The loudest voices are either the diehard "I love everything Star Wars does no matter what" dorks or the diehard "gently caress this show they hosed up my headcanon" dweebs. I'm sure people are employed at Disney to gauge fan reaction or whatever for marketing purposes, but I wonder if it's all set up to create an echo chamber at the top.

they need more smaller stuff. take risks, get weird. more things like visions and Mando. fewer things like the prequels (has beens past their prime), the sequels (zero risk and zero ideas) and Boba (aping a good thing and doing it less well, a different motif of the same theme of the sequels)

the current glut of sw things set to come out will tell us which future we are living in.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Calling the sequels "zero risk and zero new ideas" is... certainly a weird way of describing The Last Jedi

e: I love that movie but this isn't even talking about its quality, it's just objectively not a way you can describe it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In terms of the overall canon The Last Jedi might as well be erased since that's exactly what they did.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
they cant uncanon luke sucking on those blue milk tiddies straight from the manatee. honestly the only and singular best footage of star wars created after 1977.

Speaking of terrible franchises, I've been watching MadTV compilations on youtube and I've been laughing a ton that as a kid I actively chose to watch this show on schedule over anything else. The most remarkable thing about it later on when they get a bunch of really great comedians on there like Andy Daly, Key & Peele. I was wondering why they never bothered dragging it out for a revival since it had been long enough, and apparently they both made a one-off 20th anniversary special but also CW produced an 8 episode season for themselves with a new cast and the originals as guests returning. You can find a few clips on youtube or their twitter account but for official streaming, HBO Max has madTV for whatever reason except for the CW season. The CW site seems to have just erased it to forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

Calling the sequels "zero risk and zero new ideas" is... certainly a weird way of describing The Last Jedi

e: I love that movie but this isn't even talking about its quality, it's just objectively not a way you can describe it
I was thinking of the Abrams ones. there is a reason why, for all its faults and there are many, last jedi is the best of the sequels by a country mile.