Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's a very good game if you like lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of dialogue but don't want to play something cool like a visual novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

heehee posted:

got tricked by you turds into downloading guardians of the galaxy. pure aids

What don't you like about it?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hear the gameplay gets tiring but it sounds like a good change of pace for when I finish Elden Ring in six months

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It was like, ok, but a very basic shooter was not the correct genre for the amount of dialogue they wanted to include in the game. lost track of the number of times dialogue awkwardly cut off because there was no way you'd hear all of it in a scene unless you walked in circles for a few minutes instead of progressing

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I had to stream it on my One X but Shredders is a turd based on my couple of minutes before noping out.

Riders Republic is the sequel to Steep and I assume it’ll show up on game pass at some point.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

highme posted:

Riders Republic is the sequel to Steep and I assume it’ll show up on game pass at some point.
Riders Republic is an Ubisoft game, so I'm less certain - they want to try and push their own EA Play-style subcription, and it feels like the Rainbow Six games being on Game Pass were an exception rather than the rule.

It'd be nice to be wrong, mind.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Tunics sound and music is fantastic

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Looks like we're all getting a free month of Paramount+ as a game pass perk so we can watch the Halo show.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I couldn't play shredders past the introductory challenges after the tutorial. The vibe the controls were laying down were for someone who wasn't me.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It was like, ok, but a very basic shooter was not the correct genre for the amount of dialogue they wanted to include in the game. lost track of the number of times dialogue awkwardly cut off because there was no way you'd hear all of it in a scene unless you walked in circles for a few minutes instead of progressing

This is basically how they chose to fail. They have tons and tons of effort put into the dialog, and its all pretty good and interesting, so you feel like a lummox for skipping it but theres nowhere near the content/downtime to let you get through it all without standing around.

You have a lot of powers to use but combat is just never deep or good which the game seemingly acknowledges because the first half of the game has maybe 3 or 4 combat encounters per level with all new enemies each level. Then you hit the second half and combat ramps up in frequency way beyond what the system can handle and enemies start getting pallette swapped recycled.

I quite enjoyed it, because the heart and art design are 100% there, but its definitely not some hidden 10/10 that people slept on. So uh, perfect for game pass.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

John F Bennett posted:

Looks like we're all getting a free month of Paramount+ as a game pass perk so we can watch the Halo show.

Microsoft just can't quit TV.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I’m weeks behind everyone but I just finished up Nobody Saves The World. Great little action rpg, I really enjoyed the character switching mechanic alongside mixing+matching abilities to solve dungeon challenges.

Finished up in about 25 hours which is a pretty decent length GamePass game, and something I’d likely never have touched or even heard of without GP.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I really enjoyed it. The builds were surprisingly varied and fun to play, and I really liked how the game forced you to try them all and not just lock in on one playstyle. Really enjoyed it, and a great Game Pass title.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tunic looks so much like Death's Door I'd probably have trouble telling one from the other if you obscured the animal protagonists from the screen.

Both 3d isometric hard Zelda clones with almost the exact same art style and starring an animal, both released within months of each other. Wild.

They also both look like they were made in Dreams.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 19, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
One has color and one doesn't.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The Guardians of the Galaxy complaints are valid, but it has enough heart to win me over so far. While there's a lot of moment-to-moment chatting the broader structure of the presentation feels deliberate and flows very well.

The ability to dig into basically every aspect of the combat and tweak it to your liking is great. You can just blast through everything with max damage or set it up to play like a turn-based RPG. Unfortunately you can't do the one thing I want most, which is change skill cooldowns from per-character to per-skill.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Deaths door looks cooler. Tunic plays a little snappier.

Played both less than 5 minutes. Not exactly the same but hades shits on both those games.

Forza 5 and for honor are my gamepass staples. Elden Ring is badass now that I can kill dudes.

That starfield video a few pages back is giving my major salesmen vibes. Like that game can only be a letdown based on what I’ve seen. I’m assuming it’ll be gamepass though so.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tunic looks nice but I feel like the difficulty is way overtuned for the kind of game it is. I feel like I shouldn't be dodging spinning blobs that take off half my health and explode on death in the very first dungeon of this cutesy action platformer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm glad we could get an opinion on the games by a guy who has played them less than 5 minutes super useful.

if anyone wants to know how the new Batman movie is, I saw a poster for it ama

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Tunic goes through some wild and kinda bullshit jumps in difficulty that ultimately wrecked the experience for me, which sucks because I was absolutely in love with it before that.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Toaster Beef posted:

Tunic goes through some wild and kinda bullshit jumps in difficulty that ultimately wrecked the experience for me, which sucks because I was absolutely in love with it before that.

I really was loving the exploration and the cool secrets and the manual page reveals, but maaaan I hate the style of combat in this game and i've reached the point where it has stopped handing me upgrades so I'm just having to grind my way through boss fights that I absolutely despise, just hoping I don't get stun-locked and lose half my health then lose the other half while trying to heal because the boss has just decided to hyper-spam attacks that I'm lovely at dodging, or can't block anymore because I already spunked all my stamina away blocking the starting attack spam.

I did finally manage to beat the scavenger boss, but I'm kinda stuck as to where to go next. I know there's a swamp with a cathedral somewhere based on manual pages I've found, but I can't find anywhere I've not been already in order to find a way into it, and the dark souls health system combined with how far apart and how complex the world is has made my desire to just go wandering dwindle to nothing.

maybe i'll go fight that giant fuckin forest robot that just blasts me with a laser beam every time over and over and see if that unlocks another route or whatever powerup it is that I'm missing that means I can't do the tiny jumps that are plopped around the map.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Toaster Beef posted:

So it really is deaths door

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So far I've found that Death's Door had way more fights that felt like bullshit to me. Or at least, I found myself raging at fights a lot more.

Tunic has some big difficulty jumps, but it gives you some pretty cool options to take different approaches to boss fights (for example, you can equip an accessory that switches your estus flask to restore MP instead of HP, then commit completely to using a magic shotgun and just go glass cannon), and some of the consumable items are surprisingly useful and plentiful.

I have reached a seemingly endgame fight that really makes me think I should go collect as many of the remaining upgrade items as I can, but it seems surprisingly fair. Like I don't think I'm gonna be able to cheese it or anything, but the boss's moveset makes me actually excited to just commit to the basics of dodge/shield/melee

Martman fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 19, 2022

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I just uninstalled Tunic. I hate it so much. I found how to move forward and how to move forward is that it takes away all your upgrades then makes you do a boss rush with no saving in-between bosses. No interest in bashing my head against that. Deeply unfun.

The segment where you are a ghost is an absolute distillation of the things I hate most about the combat (enemies that back away from you perfectly so your lovely stumpy little sword can't reach them but if you chase them you'll just end up kiting yourself into having to fight 3 of them at once, fucks that hit so hard you lose half your health in one go - including an enemy that permanently takes that half-health away forever, stunlocks everywhere you go, enemies that you just have to stand and bait into hitting your shield before you can hit them oh whoops now there are two and they're hitting you in perfect sync so you can't do anything except block oh no now your block has run out oh your dead what a shame fight everything again including the 7 literally invisible cunts you had to fight to get here), fine tuned and applied to every single enemy you come across, plus now you don't have upgrades and there's only one path forward so gently caress you "get good". get uninstalled.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Lord Bob posted:

I just uninstalled Tunic. I hate it so much. I found how to move forward and how to move forward is that it takes away all your upgrades then makes you do a boss rush with no saving in-between bosses. No interest in bashing my head against that. Deeply unfun.

The segment where you are a ghost is an absolute distillation of the things I hate most about the combat (enemies that back away from you perfectly so your lovely stumpy little sword can't reach them but if you chase them you'll just end up kiting yourself into having to fight 3 of them at once, fucks that hit so hard you lose half your health in one go - including an enemy that permanently takes that half-health away forever, stunlocks everywhere you go, enemies that you just have to stand and bait into hitting your shield before you can hit them oh whoops now there are two and they're hitting you in perfect sync so you can't do anything except block oh no now your block has run out oh your dead what a shame fight everything again including the 7 literally invisible cunts you had to fight to get here), fine tuned and applied to every single enemy you come across, plus now you don't have upgrades and there's only one path forward so gently caress you "get good". get uninstalled.

game pass stays winning

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

slave to my cravings posted:

game pass stays winning

It does make it very easy to go "actually, gently caress this"

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I haven't played it yet, but doesn't Tunic have an easy mode in the options? No shame in bumping down if you aren't having fun because of the difficulty. Those options exist for a reason.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Zerot posted:

I haven't played it yet, but doesn't Tunic have an easy mode in the options? No shame in bumping down if you aren't having fun because of the difficulty. Those options exist for a reason.

It has an 'unlimited stamina' mode as well as a 'no fail' mode where you can't die. These can be toggled on and off whenever.

Not as interesting as say Hades god mode but yeah you can beat the game for sure.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah I was just about to say, I ended up getting back into Tunic — after uninstalling it at one point last night — because I remembered the accessibility options. It lets me just focus on the poo poo I find fun (the exploration, the discovery), and I'm digging it. I have no idea what the dev was thinking with regard to the difficulty spikes for folks who refuse to use those options, though.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The late game puzzles in Tunic are absolutely insane and awesome. I can see how the combat is too annoying for people, and it's not the game's greatest strength obviously. I can see the "no fail" mode feeling kind of lovely for some players, but seriously the puzzles alone are just blowing my mind.

I ended up clearing the "boss rush" (that is really more of a normal enemy rush) thing on my first serious try at it, and I'm not particularly great at the game's melee combat. It really wants you to get comfortable using the various methods of ranged combat and stuff, but if that doesn't click it is definitely weirdly easy to die super fast. I'm mostly surprised at how you get basically no invulnerability after getting hit, and I think if they changed that (along with maybe adding an accessory to further extend that time? tbh not even sure if any of them do that) it could make a big difference. But yeah this is easily turning into at least a 9/10 for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lord Bob posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The Guardians of the Galaxy complaints are valid, but it has enough heart to win me over so far. While there's a lot of moment-to-moment chatting the broader structure of the presentation feels deliberate and flows very well.

The ability to dig into basically every aspect of the combat and tweak it to your liking is great. You can just blast through everything with max damage or set it up to play like a turn-based RPG. Unfortunately you can't do the one thing I want most, which is change skill cooldowns from per-character to per-skill.

This part actually pissed me off. It was like they had no clue how to balance their game so they were like "i dunno, what do YOU think???"

there is especially no way those options should appear in the difficulty screen if you press any option that isn't "custom'. If I select the middle option it's probably because I want something balanced, I extremely do not want to be asked what the cooldown timer multiplier should be for a game I have literally not played. It's your loving game, you designed the thing!

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This part actually pissed me off. It was like they had no clue how to balance their game so they were like "i dunno, what do YOU think???"

there is especially no way those options should appear in the difficulty screen if you press any option that isn't "custom'. If I select the middle option it's probably because I want something balanced, I extremely do not want to be asked what the cooldown timer multiplier should be for a game I have literally not played. It's your loving game, you designed the thing!

I think those options were all fine to have in the game (and i appreciated them more than Tunic's binary "hard game" or "you are just invincible now" being the only real options) - What I found off-putting about it was that it was nearly the first thing the game shows you. Like, what the hell how am I supposed to know what I want my "lock on escape time" to be, I don't even know what the buttons for the game are, I haven't even seen the intro cutscene yet and the first thing you show me is a game features fine-tuning menu.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

External Organs posted:

It has an 'unlimited stamina' mode as well as a 'no fail' mode where you can't die. These can be toggled on and off whenever.

Not as interesting as say Hades god mode but yeah you can beat the game for sure.

Ah very cool, things like that are right up my alley. Maybe I should try out this game then.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Lord Bob posted:

It does make it very easy to go "actually, gently caress this"

extremely underrated feature

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

John F Bennett posted:

Oh good, I was thinking of subbing so we could watch the second season of Evil.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh good, I was thinking of subbing so we could watch the second season of Evil.

Evil rules, second season is great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Halo show looks friggin dumb but I can't wait to watch it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

:mrwhite:

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am on a free trial of Gamepass for PC (I don't own an Xbox).

I can't get keyboard & mouse to work with Xbox Cloud Gaming on my PC, even with games which explicitly support KBM according to their own in-game interfaces (see: Halo Master Chief Collection).

Google seems to indicate that keyboard & mouse controls aren't supported for Xbox Cloud Gaming, but may be coming in a future update. Is that right? I didn't expect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Google seems to indicate that keyboard & mouse controls aren't supported for Xbox Cloud Gaming, but may be coming in a future update. Is that right? I didn't expect that.

This is correct. There's no ETA.