Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Verman posted:

Commitment on the throttle and standing up would have made for a successful jump.

I thought about that too, but wouldn't it just jump them into the yawning gap on the other side. Movies tell me that there is a clear ramp to the ground, but OSHA thread tells me these bridges thirst for flesh and bone.

Gorson posted:

I didn't realize it was Daytona Bike week it all makes more sense now.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/2022/03/16/daytona-bike-week-2022-left-six-bikers-dead-88-sent-halifax-health/7054200001/

Lmao and they say Isle of Man is dangerous.

"ejected the rider into the bushes where he died. "

Yet another case where movies lied to me. Thought bushes would be a safe place to land.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 18, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

I thought about that too, but wouldn't it just jump them into the yawning gap on the other side. Movies tell me that there is a clear ramp to the ground, but OSHA thread tells me these bridges thirst for flesh and bone.

If you can jump Tower Bridge in a double-decker bus*, that Gold Wing - being roughly the same size and weight - should be able to make it easily.

*This actually happened, alas decades before CCTV and dashcams, although despite what most stories claim the gap he jumped was about a foot because the bridge operator noticed him and stopped the opening.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I just don't understand the thought process. I was joking about jumping the bridge but holy gently caress. The barrier lights are down for a long time before he even gets to the curve. Then he goes around them and you can clearly see the bridge is going up. I think when he hit the crack of the raised bridge he decided against going full on dukes of Hazzard and slammed on the brakes, on a wet metal inclined grate with a super heavy bike and a decent amount of speed. I would love to hear his reasoning.

If there was ever a social group I've never wanted a part of, it's the bike week/Harley crowd. I grew up in a Harley town full of those kinds of people and it's very much not my scene.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
There's something wrong with people that want a motorcycle so they can be around certain people instead of as far away from other people as possible

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Dog Case posted:

There's something wrong with people that want a motorcycle so they can be around certain people instead of as far away from other people as possible

:emptyquote:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I bought a Harley despite the crowd, not because of it. I love my bike but am also ashamed of it. “I swear I’m a Harley guy, not a Harley Guy!”

I never want to get complacent, but I read things like this and watch crash videos and am just like “I will never do any of these things.”

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dog Case posted:

This both in general but also in particular how I feel about hooking your phone into your dashboard and earbuds while riding so people can still call you and poo poo. Nightmare stuff.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Motorcycle culture in general is my least favorite thing about motorcycles.

My favorite road has a long stretch where I have no cell phone coverage and it's the best

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sliding on that metal great must have felt grate

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Motorcycle culture in general is my least favorite thing about motorcycles.

My favorite road has a long stretch where I have no cell phone coverage and it's the best

two wheel culture is poo poo change my mind

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

its bad.

its also how I figured out the trackday crowd is the most well adjusted of the bunch, which you wouldn’t expect but here we are.

idk if im gonna stay a track day enthusiast and retire to ADV biking or what. or gosh. maybe retire to driving a car with a cage.

the world is scary and people are bad and dumb at things

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

two wheel culture is poo poo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are a LOT of motorcycle-related gatherings in MKE, and every summer I tend to get the itch to go to one and almost instantly regret it.

Go to your local racetrack when they are hosting a bike event. Those are usually pretty cool

Also get a scooter and join a scooter club. The most inclusive, non-chuddy, non-dickwaving crowd I've ever ridden with is scooters

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

yummycheese posted:

its also how I figured out the trackday crowd is the most well adjusted of the bunch, which you wouldn’t expect but here we are.

Yeah this is kind of funny. I don't really socialize at the usual motorcycle hangouts (and what I hate about group (more than 3 people) rides: way too much bullshit, way too little riding), and I absolutely hate car culture, but everyone at the track has always been super cool and nonjudgmental. And the bay area motorcycle culture doesn't even seem that bad compared to almost everywhere else (LA included, presumably SD too).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The only motorcycle culture I’ve found in my city is people gathering at a bar (presumably drinking) and revving their motorcycles like a bunch of chuds. Then I assume riding wherever drunk.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The worst thing about motorcycles is other people who ride them.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Scam Likely posted:

The worst thing about motorcycles is other people who ride them.

Actually oblivious car drivers are still worse, but other riders are often terrible, too.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/bikehubjapan/status/1505081849051508736

behold the Africa Twin sport bike

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
very Honda to take an incredibly dull motor and cram it into everything they can think of

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

sucks

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Interesting mirror placement though. Seems like that might work well.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
2 wheel culture is sick you guys are just internet grognards

my buddy was in latto's latest music video doing wheelies on his sumo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can tell he got big sick (wheelie) energy

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's not fair. The sumo culture is rad (in my local experience). Just a bunch of dudes exploring for wheelie spots, doing stoppies, and taking their sumos places they Should Not Be. As people, they are chill and try not to be dicks while donging it up.

I miss my sumo :sigh:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

very Honda to take an incredibly dull motor and cram it into everything they can think of

It's not that bad a motor. It's not like it's the 800 triple in the Tiger.
And it's not like they're kawasaki.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 19, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Typical Honda. This is a good concept on paper, their styling direction makes sense, it would probably ride quite well.

But the execution...good lord just look at that exhaust.

Also there is this thing called 'cam profiles' so it's possible to make that engine peppy and sporty and not so much of a tractor. It's one weird trick and you'd be surprised how often it's used!!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

not a v twin, gross

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

But the execution...good lord just look at that exhaust.

Same thing on my cb300r, really the only styling cue that I don't care for on it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

right arm posted:

not a v twin, gross

yeah i was hoping it would be this thing from the patent drawing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Honda simply need to shoot their marketing department en masse and start over cause it's very clear they are NOT utilizing their resources correctly.

Otherwise their 650 middleweight contender would be a hawk gt with efi and usd's like they are clearly capable of building.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

And the bay area motorcycle culture doesn't even seem that bad compared to almost everywhere else (LA included, presumably SD too).

I do miss Bay Area motorcycle culture. Miss the crew I used to ride with and miss hanging out at Skywood Trading Post.

Ridden with a few groups in Denver, but it's not the same.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ADV culture is ok because they actually ride and out down a shitload of miles off highways. It’s a shame most of them are boomers with regrettable views.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Okay but what is this behind it

EDIT: I want one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99fvTX0WHUw

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So that's the Grom, the Monkey, the Trail 125, the Navi, of course the Super Cub, and now this Dax thing?

What has made Honda suddenly interested in teeny tiny bikes again?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because teeny tiny bikes rule

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean yeah, no question, but honda for the last 20 years has not been big into making things that "rule."

somebody over there has the right idea and enough power to make things happen. maybe some old fart finally died and got replaced? maybe we'll get a 1985-1995 honda renaissance?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

So that's the Grom, the Monkey, the Trail 125, the Navi, of course the Super Cub, and now this Dax thing?

What has made Honda suddenly interested in teeny tiny bikes again?

They have correctly assessed that people have no money, cheap bikes are going to be in vogue again, and it's super easy to make a model range when you have such an established and simple basic framework to build on.

The fact that they rule is incidental, Honda are doing what they always do: providing a solution to a problem. And sometimes, the problem is actually real!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
It's a gorgeous day.

https://streamable.com/9f1lzd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

Razzled posted:

It's a gorgeous day.

Nice. I was lucky enough to borrow and ride a 1098 for a few days once. Sublime ride, only downside was the heat when stuck in traffic.
I took my old tub for this year's first ride. Cold. The evening light works well for bike photos sometimes.