Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

One quick thing, submerse it in isopropyl instead. It will naturally wick away the water. (you still have to dry it, though. a week sounds right)

I have a thing I bought where you just plug it into the wall and it does this that way.

I have those too for the bathroom mainly but the lack of surface area contacted for air to flow through feels much smaller than the cans.

I've had one of the electric ones hanging on my towel rack in my bath/shower, to test them, go for months without even changing a slightest shade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Heck yeah, I would play the hell out of a Lego Ice Planet setting. Bring me that orange chainsaw!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Loxbourne posted:

Heck yeah, I would play the hell out of a Lego Ice Planet setting. Bring me that orange chainsaw!

I can't remember if this is goon work or not but someone posted this a while back:

...Which then led me to mock up some Lego Space colour schemes for marines:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

This kicks rear end, it was always my favorite lego set.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Do Lego even release anything other than licensed sets anymore? All I see is Harry Potter and Sonic and poo poo like that. :smith:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Do Lego even release anything other than licensed sets anymore? All I see is Harry Potter and Sonic and poo poo like that. :smith:

They still put out plenty of City-themed sets, and the creator 3-in-1 sets. And you can still just buy tubs of bricks.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 18, 2022

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
That's good to hear. I wanted to buy some for my niece, but I wanted to get her something that allowed her to come up with her own fantasies rather than "Hogwarts, but it hurts when you step on it".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I mean, it all does? Like the harry potter or marvel stuff can also be used to build anything she wants, its all still lego.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The big Harry Potter stuff has useless pieces where they made all of Hogwarts out of like two gigantic bricks

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What do you expect? It's made for the dumbest adults there are

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ignite Memories posted:

What do you expect? It's made for the dumbest adults there are

What a Slytherin thing to say.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

if you count lego technic and architect stuff then there is loooooooooooads of original stuff

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

True. But it's possible I'm just not seeing it because I'm not really paying attention to lego, but it doesn't feel like there's much "themed" stuff coming out anymore.

It's all licenced stuff, kinda generic real-life things, or their weird attempts at making action figures.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I have some bad news for you…

You are old.

The “Lego kits are just two big pieces” thing happened over ten years ago, and Lego has long since responded by returning to making stuff out of individual bricks again.

Their designers are a lot more creative now and use bricks in interesting ways. I regularly get YouTube ads for “adult” oriented kits like working grand pianos and classic cars.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i hear the saturnV rocket is utterly badass to make and have

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Spanish Manlove posted:

The fact that it's exactly 1969 blocks tickles me to no end.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

We'll never have '80s space lego again and that makes me sad.

Although I'm not going to be 10 again so I guess it wouldn't matter.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I had one of the Saturn IV kits that was like 10" tall assembled as a kid.

Then my mother gave it (and all my other LEGO stuff) away when I left for college.

I'm still mad.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

FMguru posted:

The fact that it's exactly 1969 blocks tickles me to no end.

i didn't know this and omg i gotta build it now

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Spanish Manlove posted:

Things you'd never thought you'd hear about lego, let alone agree with.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jonny Nox posted:

We'll never have '80s space lego again and that makes me sad.

Same and same. I would have killed for Star Wars lego as a kid, but also the Space theme was so cool. It's sad there's no real way for them to coexist.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spanish Manlove posted:

I have built this kit, it's right over there next to my comfy chair. On the one hand, it's an amazing build experience, and on the other you end up with a Saturn rocket three feet high and how the gently caress do you not want one ?

You want one, obtain and build this kit as soon as possible, you're hella missing out otherwise.

dddddd

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Fashionable Jorts posted:

True. But it's possible I'm just not seeing it because I'm not really paying attention to lego, but it doesn't feel like there's much "themed" stuff coming out anymore.

It's all licenced stuff, kinda generic real-life things, or their weird attempts at making action figures.

As others have said, the 3-in-1 creator stuff sounds like exactly what you're looking for. All made with small bricks, super varied, and 3 build options to get the creativity flowing.

There's a bunch that are themed, like animals/wildlife, city stuff and theme park stuff, and in my experience each and every one of them is a great build. There's also a big variety in size and pricing, where a small box will be like 10 euros for a lion/ostrich/boar, medium stuff that's like 3 different carnival rides and big stuff like the medieval castle/tower/town.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Bucnasti posted:

I have some bad news for you…

You are old.

The “Lego kits are just two big pieces” thing happened over ten years ago, and Lego has long since responded by returning to making stuff out of individual bricks again.

Their designers are a lot more creative now and use bricks in interesting ways. I regularly get YouTube ads for “adult” oriented kits like working grand pianos and classic cars.

My mom gets their catalog and when I was looking into plants for my store, I seriously considered getting life-sized lego ones. I decided not to because I like that living plants do some air-clearing and worried it might make people think I carried legos, but they were made out of pretty generic parts for the most part and certainly could have been reused for all sorts of neat stuff, in addition to being cool adult-focused kits.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Ultiville posted:

My mom gets their catalog and when I was looking into plants for my store, I seriously considered getting life-sized lego ones. I decided not to because I like that living plants do some air-clearing and worried it might make people think I carried legos, but they were made out of pretty generic parts for the most part and certainly could have been reused for all sorts of neat stuff, in addition to being cool adult-focused kits.

The flowers are really neat and were a lot of fun to build. They are really clever in parts, e.g. some of the leaves are dinosaur wings etc.

:3:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Same and same. I would have killed for Star Wars lego as a kid, but also the Space theme was so cool. It's sad there's no real way for them to coexist.

You still get occasional big sets in the old genre-type themes, even if there's not the support for a full line any more. Medieval stuff that's like really really nice Castle sets seem to be pretty common in the Creator and Ideas lines, there were a couple recent outstanding pirate ships, and Benny's Spaceship Spaceship Spaceship from the first movie was distilled classic space. Some of the City stuff for this year has a real Space theme to it as well.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
Fun fact: Lego is also the backbone of high school/college level robotics thanks to their Mindstorms line, a series going on so long the first version used serial ports to connect to the PC. It also had block-based programming software before it was cool.

On the topic of mini's, is there some rule people selling Egyptian themed stuff have to make the priestess/slave/literally any woman (including non-human) models topless. Every time I find someone selling cool Anubis Khopesh dudes I have to wade though nudes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
if you dig an inch deep into indie minis you're going to find a bunch of weird sex perverts and abhorrent nazis

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Spanish Manlove posted:

if you dig an inch deep into indie minis you're going to find a bunch of weird sex perverts and abhorrent nazis

Whenever people favorite items on my Etsy shop I'll dig in to what else they've favorited.

A shockingly large percentage of them are favoriting pregnant slave miniatures

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Surprisingly no big-titty-Hitler minis though

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
As a follower of this thread, I'm well aware of the pervs/nazi's. It's just the specific combo of Ancient Egyptian fantasy wargaming and topless women minis that puzzles me, especially if they are clearly trying to make the mini be part a legit piece of a wargame/RPG with actual rules (priestess, banner bearer, etc). Do they honestly expect people to plop these units into a game and be cool with it? And I'm not talking about the rando on Etsy with a 3d printer, I'm talking about legit companies like Reaper and their Egyptian Sorceress (:nws:https://www.reapermini.com/search/sorceress/latest/02485:nws:), Dragon Bait minis (half their Egypt line), and Crocodile games (basti).

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Shadowed Bacon posted:

As a follower of this thread, I'm well aware of the pervs/nazi's. It's just the specific combo of Ancient Egyptian fantasy wargaming and topless women minis that puzzles me, especially if they are clearly trying to make the mini be part a legit piece of a wargame/RPG with actual rules (priestess, banner bearer, etc). Do they honestly expect people to plop these units into a game and be cool with it? And I'm not talking about the rando on Etsy with a 3d printer, I'm talking about legit companies like Reaper and their Egyptian Sorceress (:nws:https://www.reapermini.com/search/sorceress/latest/02485:nws:), Dragon Bait minis (half their Egypt line), and Crocodile games (basti).

Yeah, I think dragon bait have more issues than their Egypt line.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Wolfsbane posted:

Yeah, I think dragon bait have more issues than their Egypt line.

:shehuck:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Shadowed Bacon posted:

It's because Egypt is a very hot place and sexualisation of breasts is a modern concept, so you see, from the perspective of historical accuracy, most women would just be walking around with their big pert boobies out. Glistening in the hot sun. Which is why they are satin varnished. For authenticity, you see. Yeah.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Also in ancient Egyptian art topless women are pretty common

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Just found this wererat matriarch on the reaper site

Really you can just set the filter to female and let the cringe wash over you.

Edit: oh my god they have an entire titty zodiac

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 23, 2022

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Just found this wererat matriarch on the reaper site

Really you can just set the filter to female and let the cringe wash over you.

Wererat flasher

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My least favourite serial killer.