Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Cool, enjoy your achewood or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Was it not clear that, like other thread viewers, I'm enjoying Aphelion despite not really understanding what's going on?

relax

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

FFT posted:

Was it not clear that, like other thread viewers, I'm enjoying Aphelion despite not really understanding what's going on?

relax

While I appreciate the candor, it's worth being clear, here: I don't care lmao

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

While I appreciate the candor, it's worth being clear, here: I don't care lmao

Well I don't care the most! Like imagine an ocean of not caring in the slightest!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I care

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

GET OUT:argh:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

FFT posted:

While I appreciate the long post, it's worth being clear, here: I don't care lmao

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

Marie and the Adventurer's League - Update 15.06 - Chased

Marie and the Adventurer's League - Update 15.07 - Broke

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Marie and the Adventurer's League - Update 15.07 - Broke

100% drug crash, 50% nubbin.
I love how terribly this arc is going for everyone.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

see, it's already getting mileage

thank you pyf comic thread, thank you harmless owl fluff

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Read the end of Ten Earth Shattering Blows (the story up to the last update anyway) and it's pretty engaging. Really getting some Mad Max vibes, the bad guys are goofy and it's funny to see a tribe of people acting like 12 year old edge lords.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hitmen for Destiny #560: The 27th last strip

==========================

Hitmen for Destiny #561: The 26th last strip

==========================

Hitmen for Destiny #562: The 25th last strip

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hitmen for Destiny #560: The 27th last strip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So now that my posting of Apocalypse Johto has become an author-approved retrospective with author commentary, I'm not gonna let myself off the hook when it comes to being made fun of. See, I've got some bonus content.

Back during AJ's heyday, for Saber's birthday one year (EDIT: turns out it was his 2012 birthday, and his birthday is this month (won't give exact date unless Saber says it's okay) so almost exactly 10 years ago), I had an idea to make something. Something that me and one other person (who, in fact, is the same person who coded AJ's original website) did things for. We then dropped them in the AJ thread on the Nuzlocke forums. They haven't been seen since, but they're extremely a product of their time and something I believe the kids would call "cringe".

We made Apocalypse Johto rage comics. Not a lot of them, just a handful, parodying various scenes and pages from the comic. And I'm gonna be posting them when I post the real scenes. Unless I specify one being made by someone else, it was made by me. We've passed only one scene that was used for one, so I'll start today by posting it. It's these three pages (and kinda the last panel of the previous page).

Back when I initially posted this, I called panel four my masterpiece. That panel might still be one of the funniest dumb things I've ever made.

Apocalypse Johto Part 1: Silver Lining
Chapter 4: A Wretched Hive Badge

...and the next AJ rage comic is actually this scene. Sooooo.

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Mar 19, 2022

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Dumb OCD post to say aphelion/perihelion are for orbits with the sun at the center (helios) Orbits around earth have apogee/perigee (geo), the moon apolune/perilune. The general catch-all for any orbit is apoapsis/periapsis.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Stand Still. Stay Silent
Iceland(ic waters) edition. A bit longer this time to wrap up the prologue

So yeah, three months out and we're now getting a bigger hint of what's afoot. Whales are apparently a big concern and the coast guard is blowing up vessels full of what looks to be people except they're not really doing anything more than the barest imitation of human behavior. Surely things will get better. Árni does eventually raise sheep

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Mar 19, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Someone mentioned it's like the Thing? Some outbreak of pod people going on?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Someone mentioned it's like the Thing? Some outbreak of pod people going on?

It's worse

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Kit Walker posted:

It's worse

Wait, I thought it was just the Icelandic Coast Guard enforcing a complete quarantine of the island; the people are waving because they don't know about the kill orders and are expecting to get picked up. That's why Arni wants to quit; they just killed a boat full of people without even trying to see if they're infected or not.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Vagabong posted:

Wait, I thought it was just the Icelandic Coast Guard enforcing a complete quarantine of the island; the people are waving because they don't know about the kill orders and are expecting to get picked up. That's why Arni wants to quit; they just killed a boat full of people without even trying to see if they're infected or not.

It's somewhat ambiguous, but the implication is that they're not physically reacting to the signal flash like a person would. They're just continuing to mindlessly wave. The newspost for that page specifically refers to them as "survivors" with the quotes so it's not really a spoiler that there's something wrong with them. I can't be more specific than that because honestly I don't know. Something happens between the beginning of the pandemic and the state of the world after the next time skip, and I don't know the details of those intermediate steps

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Mar 19, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ten Earth Shattering Blows

It was awfully nice of that crazed gladiator to break loose at just the right moment for Janflinn to establish his importance. NSFW version here.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I don't get it.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm sorry I don't want to think about heathecliff or Garfield trying to fug

Coward

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

By popular demand posted:

I don't get it.

I do and it's real darkly funny. In short, you could say it's about the spanish civil war and just general brutal oppression of separatist movements

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

By popular demand posted:

I don't get it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/29/basques-safe-iceland-district-repeals-decree-kill-on-sight

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Oh man that's an even deeper cut than I guessed. That's hilarious

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm sorry I don't want to think about heathecliff or Garfield trying to fug

Kit Walker posted:

I do and it's real darkly funny. In short, you could say it's about the spanish civil war and just general brutal oppression of separatist movements

confusing sequence of posts

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

When this started I did not expect to be at the edge of my seat :ohdear:

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

That guy on the right looks just like Edgar Allan Poe! AWESOME!!

Hold on, Roast Beef doesn't know how to play the keyboard!

Runner-up: ...and you will not see a picture of your father turn into an eraser and erase your ceiling fan

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

And that's a wrap on Trauma, which revisits the point that the Avenger isn't a hero because of his gadgets, wits or allies, but because of his heart. It's a little on the heavy side, but "it's okay to be small and fragile" was a panel that resonated with me as a kid even if I didn't really get it at the time, and that means it reaches the target audience.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Splicer posted:

10+ years ago something called an "Asher" wiped out everything electronic in a very large radius. This included anyone with any kind of implant, so pretty much every adult. During the aftermath Brian and Millie were separated from Brian's (and Millie's? I'm not sure of their relationship) brother Charlie because the helicopter evacuating them wasn't able to take them all. This ended up being a good thing for Brian and Millie because the military crammed a bunch of co-ordination tech into all the kids' heads to help wrangle them and accidentally created a hive mind. People name the hive mind Cantor and Charlie has no face now because Reasons.

In the present (future) day, Millie is emigrating to one of Jupiter's moons and considering joining a Hive. Brian visits Charlie to ask Cantor, through him, to facilitate recovering their parents' bodies. Charlie conks out and Brian gets kidnapped by some weird looking folks. Cantor tries to stop them by melting Brian's brain with wall paint but they stop him from looking at it. They discuss something called Null and whether it will kill them after they bring it Brian, and they agree that it probably will, but continue on.

"Brian" wakes up in a giant murderbody. It seems someone has copied his mind and memories, probably killing him in the process, and dumped them into the giant murderbody. Cantor isn't talking to anyone and generally seems to be All hosed Up in some manner. Local nodes of a bunch of Hives are talking about Cantor and trying to work out what to do with not-Brian. They think he might have "Break Engines". We don't know what those are yet.

In and around this something called "Sane AIs" or "Sanity Complexes" are being alluded to. These are bad. We also learn the Earth is not doing so great in general.

Incidentally the "Aphelion" is the maximum point in a parabola or orbit. The high point before you start going back down.

This was very helpful, thanks.

So... a bunch of transhumanist weirdos are trying to get a sense of what this freshly-uploaded-into-a-deathbot mind is like by showing it a photo presumably connected to its past? Only because they're all algorithms things are slightly off and the kids' homework has been engraved into the fridge? Or future fridges have (three!) doors that are also giant smart screens?
This is A Good Comic. I love how this transhumanist stuff makes the mammal bits of my brain say "NOPE" and I still cannot comprehend how anyone, anywhere, thinks the ability to upload human brains would result in anything other than absolute hell.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The fridge stuff is probably a display of some type.
Also it definitely seems that the more extreme posthuman stuff is a reaction to the Asher attacks, which again are an absolute existential threat.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thick bass steaks would be an excellent av.

that i want lol.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This is The Dragon, the Girl, and Monster Town from Mizukami's Tanpenshuu anthology. Forgive the long post; it doesn't have a good breakpoint that wouldn't nuke the momentum.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That's a nice story but I still have to ask
WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FACE

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
It’s a side-effect of her anime blood.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Random comic I ment to post hours ago but failed due to technical issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

you know what comic rules

that's right it's unicorn jelly. let's see if i can post the whole thing without getting distracted

as you can see from the date, this comic was added later as the first one. It's a pretty important nod to the origins of humans in the world of Tryslmaistan, but isn't immediately important to the story at hand