Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

At what point does stuff go from being old crap to "vintage" or "retro"?

When the original target audience (universally 12-21 year olds) is approaching middle age (30-40) and has disposable income to attempt to recapture their youth (see also: Used video game market, VHS and DVD nostalgia, et al)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Minutes after you sell it for peanuts.

I had one of these and sold it for just under 70 bucks. At the time I thought it was hilarious that someone gave me that much money for a four dollar comic book that was only a couple years old.

I don't even want to think about the collection of NES and SNES poo poo I sold to my friend which I suspect he ended up flipping.

BigFactory posted:

When it acquires an odor

Then I guess everything I own including myself is vintage!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

I had one of these and sold it for just under 70 bucks. At the time I thought it was hilarious that someone gave me that much money for a four dollar comic book that was only a couple years old.

I don't even want to think about the collection of NES and SNES poo poo I sold to my friend which I suspect he ended up flipping.

Then I guess everything I own including myself is vintage!

Owning yourself again, tut tut

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

pwn posted:

approaching middle age (30-40)
:negative:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Owning yourself again, tut tut

Boooooooo.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

You have to admit it was a near perfect setup.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

You have to admit it was a near perfect setup.

I'm above such cheap humor because I am extremely sophisticated and certainly what one calls an intellectual.*

*Please do not browse my posting history.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

I'm above such cheap humor because I am extremely sophisticated and certainly what one calls an intellectual.*

*Please do not browse my posting history.

I'm just being a shmuck, I sincerely apologize. I'm just joshing and mean absolutely nothing by it.

I'm seeing this great deal on these 16" records on goodwill, but it looks like more work than I want to undertake to make them play even though I'd love to be able to have a few news broadcasts and stuff from way back. Never knew there was such thing until last night.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

I'm just being a shmuck, I sincerely apologize. I'm just joshing and mean absolutely nothing by it.

I'm seeing this great deal on these 16" records on goodwill, but it looks like more work than I want to undertake to make them play even though I'd love to be able to have a few news broadcasts and stuff from way back. Never knew there was such thing until last night.

No! You're dead to me.

I'm not actually upset about it.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Bought a blue colored 'Death Grips - The Powers That B' bootleg and immediately after found out about the new red colored official repress coming out in sept. I guess I'm gonna own 2 copies of this album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

its a galaxie 500 kind of day

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

There's a really cool reissue of The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators a while back. It has both mono and stereo versions. I don't know what the source of the mono version is. I've heard that the tapes are lost. But the stereo version is a new master from the original tapes. It also has what is apparently and alternate track listing which was what the band originally intended. The disc is pretty cool. When you hold it up to light the spots on the disc are translucent.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
You know that I care

What a beautiful dream. That could flash on the screen. In a blink of an eye and be gone from me

Oh, baby, now you're such a drag

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

BigFactory posted:

its a galaxie 500 kind of day

Apologies if you've answered this before; what make/model turntable is that?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm more concerned that the aliens from War of the Worlds are spying on them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pretzellogic posted:

Apologies if you've answered this before; what make/model turntable is that?

Sanyo tp-80SB

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I finally got around to listening to the latest War on Drugs album.

It is one of the worst vinyl pressings I've ever heard. They cut the album on two discs for a 51 minute album, so it's not like they're cramming the grooves in. It has a thin, distorted sound.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I picked up my first truly vintage receiver over the weekend, a Pioneer SX680 from 1978. Paid $200 for it. I don't believe it's ever been refurbished or anything, but everything works and sounds great and it's super clean.

It's replacing my nineties Kenwood KR-A5020 that was my father's (I'm keeping it around, just not using it for vinyl). Comparing the specs, the big difference seems to be the frequency response: 10hz - 50khz for the Kenwood, 5hz - 100khz for the Pioneer. So the Pioneer should be able to output over a much larger spectrum. The Kenwood had 65 watts per channel while the Pioneer only has 30 but it's super loud to my ears. I will apparently never miss that wattage. I think I know what all those numbers mean, anyway.

It sounds great and it looks great, especially with the soft yellow incandescent bulbs lighting it up.

I picked up a KMFDM single at the same time (Virus, from '89) so that was pretty awesome as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Cemetry Gator posted:

I finally got around to listening to the latest War on Drugs album.

It is one of the worst vinyl pressings I've ever heard. They cut the album on two discs for a 51 minute album, so it's not like they're cramming the grooves in. It has a thin, distorted sound.

Weird, my copy sounds great. You may have gotten a dud.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I picked up my first truly vintage receiver over the weekend, a Pioneer SX680 from 1978. Paid $200 for it. I don't believe it's ever been refurbished or anything, but everything works and sounds great and it's super clean.

Oh man, this gets me in the feels. This was my first "real" stereo component that I got handed down to me with a set of matching giant speakers in like 1989 when my parents upgraded to a Onkyo amp. Lasted me well into the mid 90s.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CornHolio posted:

It's replacing my nineties Kenwood KR-A5020 that was my father's (I'm keeping it around, just not using it for vinyl). Comparing the specs, the big difference seems to be the frequency response: 10hz - 50khz for the Kenwood, 5hz - 100khz for the Pioneer. So the Pioneer should be able to output over a much larger spectrum. The Kenwood had 65 watts per channel while the Pioneer only has 30 but it's super loud to my ears. I will apparently never miss that wattage. I think I know what all those numbers mean, anyway.

It sounds great and it looks great, especially with the soft yellow incandescent bulbs lighting it up.

I picked up a KMFDM single at the same time (Virus, from '89) so that was pretty awesome as well.

I really don't think I'll ever replace my SX-780 until it dies, unless I luck out and find something incredible at a garage sale. I love it so much.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

wa27 posted:

I really don't think I'll ever replace my SX-780 until it dies, unless I luck out and find something incredible at a garage sale. I love it so much.

You live in Nebraska by chance? I need to find someplace to take my Marantz 2230 in for a tune up.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

You live in Nebraska by chance? I need to find someplace to take my Marantz 2230 in for a tune up.

I do, but I don't have any recommendations, sorry. Plus I'm in GI - we don't even have a record store here. :shrug:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

wa27 posted:

I do, but I don't have any recommendations, sorry. Plus I'm in GI - we don't even have a record store here. :shrug:

Hah no worries, just saw the av and took a chance. I was actually in GI a few weeks ago and thought about looking for a record shop but didn't get any free time.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I can't believe it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

IG-88 posted:

I can't believe it.

lol I got an email about this recently and had completely forgot I ordered it and I then immediately forgot again until I saw this post. Hell yeah.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

IG-88 posted:

I can't believe it.

What is it?

marjorie
May 4, 2014

CPL593H posted:

What is it?

Girl Talk - Feed the Animals. I'm seeing him next month, so stoked.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'd never heard this but I adore sample-based music, I'm really digging this. Any still in stock somewhere? :kiddo:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

marjorie posted:

Girl Talk - Feed the Animals. I'm seeing him next month, so stoked.

If you could do everyone a favor and kidnap him until he makes a new mash-up record I would appreciate it very much

All Day is one of my very favorite albums and it makes me so sad we don’t have another

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Perfume Genius has a new album out in June.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

i wanna go to one of those concerts. gently caress. i think ima make it happen.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

See all the shows.

...I think? Most of my cash went to shows pre-pandemic and averaged about 80-100 a year and now I don't know how to feel about it. :shrug:

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

Enos Cabell posted:

Hah no worries, just saw the av and took a chance. I was actually in GI a few weeks ago and thought about looking for a record shop but didn't get any free time.

Fellow Nebraskan here. Electron Addict in Papillion did a great job on my Allied 333 although it took like three months.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CPL593H posted:

Perfume Genius has a new album out in June.

Seeing him tonight in concert. He doesn't even go on until 11:30. wtf

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

PoorPeteBest posted:

Fellow Nebraskan here. Electron Addict in Papillion did a great job on my Allied 333 although it took like three months.

Hey thanks, I reached out to Lincoln Vintage Vinyl and they put me in touch with the guy that works on their stuff. I'll see what he has to say then check out Electron Addict.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Seeing him tonight in concert. He doesn't even go on until 11:30. wtf
As a middle aged GenXer, I would pay substantially extra for a ticket that is basically a sound check of the band going on at 7:30, playing 45 minutes that contains most of their hits and best songs, and then saying goodnight without an encore. Then they can go back and drink or post tiktok videos or snort heroin or whatever till they go on for the main show 2 hours later. I'm too old and babysitters are too expensive to dick around at a show for 5 hours and get home at 2AM.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

stealie72 posted:

As a middle aged GenXer, I would pay substantially extra for a ticket that is basically a sound check of the band going on at 7:30, playing 45 minutes that contains most of their hits and best songs, and then saying goodnight without an encore. Then they can go back and drink or post tiktok videos or snort heroin or whatever till they go on for the main show 2 hours later. I'm too old and babysitters are too expensive to dick around at a show for 5 hours and get home at 2AM.

While I don't quite share your ideal concert, I went to an all ages show last night that had a strict 10PM finish time and it was great

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

There’s a place in town that’ll book two shows a night and let me tell you, seeing a show at 6:30 on a Friday and getting home by 8 is pretty incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Barry posted:

While I don't quite share your ideal concert, I went to an all ages show last night that had a strict 10PM finish time and it was great
When I needed to go to all ages shows, I hated that they were early. But now, this sounds pretty great.