Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Balance changes coming to Terraria I don't recognize much of anything except the Angler in the video so someone else might want to describe the changes with context.

- The melee weapon buffs are self explanatory.
- Plantera's bulbs take some time to start appearing in the jungle after you beat the 3 mech bosses, and now one will appear immediately. I think most people take an in-game day or two between these bosses anyway, but this will save speedsters some time.
- Bast Statues give a defense buff when placed, making them very nice for boss arenas, but are hard to find. Making them appear in underground desert cabins will make finding them slightly easier.
- Old One's Army is a wave-based event, with a forced 30-second wait between waves, unless every other wave-based event. They're making the wait skippable, which is great.
- Defender Medal items will be 33% - 40% cheaper. Some of the best Defender Medal items cost 75 medals, which can take a while. I'm guessing those items will now cost 50 medals. Not bad!
- Crystal Ball, Ammo Box and Bewitching Table buffs now last until death. This will matter most for Summoners, who won't need to micromanage that buff anymore, and it's a nice QoL change for everyone.
- The Sentry buff (they now last for 10 minutes) is another nice QoL thing, so you won't need to worry about resummoning them in the middle of a boss fight.
- Drop rate for rare items from Pirate Invasion has been doubled. This is fantastic, since these are some really, really good items, like the discount card.
- Paintings and Statues glow when using the Spelunker potion: Thanks? I guess? I suppose this for collectors.
- There will be a few new items, but nothing major, such as a pet item that summons both royal gel pets at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Seems that the Terraria Developer has started teasing a new project:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
hell, it's about time

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hell yeah. New Terraria could be awesome.

I've been playing around with the Split mod. It's pretty cool! There's an npc that gives quests to take photos of rare monsters and it adds some fun weapons, although some of them are pretty janky. New bosses are all right and it adds some nice but small biomes. Sprite art has come a long way, it makes some of the older mods look pretty dated.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
The recent patch that was aimed at Steam Deck compatibility also slipped in a change to NPC happiness; they now like hybrid versions of their preferred biome. Which means pretty much anybody other than the people who prefer forests can be stuck with anyone and in any place if you also just slam down a couple hundred Pearlsand blocks or whatever.

I have assembled a different autohotkey autoclicker script to deal with the fact that Terraria seems to have a hard time catching instantaneous click events, try it out if you have issues with the one suggested in the OP:

code:
#IfWinActive ahk_exe Terraria.exe
$XButton1::
	While GetKeyState("XButton1", "P")
	{send {LButton down}
	sleep 20
	send {LButton up}
	sleep 20
	}
return

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

this change makes having a desert base so much more manageable thank god

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
New Terraria wiki. Haven't really looked through it but I assume they got a better deal.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I hope the various mod wikis follow

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Thank god. Fandom's been slowing down for years but I had to go there the other day and my entire computer came to a crawl. I was on a call and it started skipping. What the gently caress is wrong with that site that it can even do that?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mayveena posted:

New Terraria wiki. Haven't really looked through it but I assume they got a better deal.

I just came to report this. Was glad to see it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

Thank god. Fandom's been slowing down for years but I had to go there the other day and my entire computer came to a crawl. I was on a call and it started skipping. What the gently caress is wrong with that site that it can even do that?

Shitloads of ads. More ads than you'd think could possibly be on one website. A lot of autoplaying video stuff too.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I really like that the new official wiki shows the version of every port of the game, even the deprecated ones that will never be updated, and compares those versions to the flagship Steam/GOG version.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
+1 for gently caress fandom, unfortunately the fandom link is probably going to be the first result for a good long time in search engines.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Looks like they've set up a developer-owned wiki system along with two other dev teams, and they're looking to expand. Seems very promising.

That said, I see they support importing wikis, and from what I remember Fandom has some clause where copying a Fandom wiki and setting up a new Non-Fandom wiki is a breach of terms that can lead to legal trouble. That's certainly not a problem for an official wiki with proper backing, but I seem to recall it being what keeps the unofficial Fallout wiki captive.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Just ordered Terraria for the 3DS... now to find a 3DS to play it on. :haw:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Mad Dragon posted:

Finding a cheap copy of that is one of the white whales of my very casual 3DS collecting hobby. AFAIK they didn't really do anything with the 3D capabilities, which is a letdown, but I'm curious to give it a go and see how it handles vs playing on mobile. I actually did sink a fair bit of time into the Android version 5 years ago or something.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mad Dragon posted:

It's a pity that they don't support that one, because the game lends itself well to a touch screen.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Finding a cheap copy of that is one of the white whales of my very casual 3DS collecting hobby. AFAIK they didn't really do anything with the 3D capabilities, which is a letdown, but I'm curious to give it a go and see how it handles vs playing on mobile. I actually did sink a fair bit of time into the Android version 5 years ago or something.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284270233901

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

I'm in Australia :eng101:

At any rate, my poor man's collecting hobby is buying somebody's console + games on FB marketplace and selling what I don't want/already have on eBay. Generally there's a small profit, but mostly I'm just about keeping the hobby cost-neutral.

At some point I may plow some of the proceeds into just buying Terraria though; I don't think I've ever seen a cheap copy come up locally.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Are you only allowed to have 1 ea of the Pylons?
I was trying to set up a Desert Pylon on each side but cant seem to place second near housing, but unsure if corruption is too close.
I have housing on both sides with vendors living in them.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Yeah, you're only allowed one of each Pylon.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Drat, thanks.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I hope this isn't too off topic. I'm really enjoying Core Keeper a Terraria style underground crafting adventure sandbox game and was wondering if there's any interest in doing co-op?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Core Keeper has legit potential, and looks good. A few things still need adjustment imo, and more content of course, but it just came into early access.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There's a lot of rough spots and a handful of design decisions that need changing (enemies that seek out and destroy your torches even when you're not around, for instance) but yeah, the main thing is it just doesn't have enough content right now. Even with the progression each tier feels a little anemic. Plus it can be hard to tell where you're supposed to go, at times.
The underground setting is novel, but getting around it can be really tedious. Imagine if any time you wanted to go anywhere in Terraria you had to dig your way there.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 19, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Any time? Do your tunnels collapse in Core Keeper or something?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Here is the trailer so you can see what content is available. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqrtsgoU8J8

For $12 I think that's reasonable. Naturally it's not as good a deal as Terraria but nothing is :) You don't run into any of that content shown for quite some time. So far I've been pleased with everything except the fishing which is boring as gently caress. The YT'ers in the space so far have been playing with the demo version which at least has character stuff that's not at the start of the EA version.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Another thing is that xp gain in Core Keeper is poorly balanced. Fishing xp gain is bizarrely slow and as far as I can tell, doesn't scale at all, while later enemies give giant amounts of fighting xp. Also melee is basically useless at the current end game, you will get murdered.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
From what little I played with a couple friends, it's balanced around fighting being your main activity. Farming essentially isn't self-sustainable, because enemies drop more seeds than plants do. I'm not a huge fan of the food system, either, because it's too hard to keep your food meter full. At least you don't die from starvation.

My main criticism is that exploration is my favorite thing to do in any game, and I didn't enjoy exploring in Core Keeper.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Exploring definitely feels unenjoyable, possibly due to the slowness of mining everywhere, but there's not that much to find and even the occasional rare discovery tends to not be particularly valuable, at least in my experience. Gardening is sustainable after you get enough points in the skill that makes plants yield more seeds, because when maxed out you seem to always get 1 per plant. But planting, watering, and harvesting is pretty tedious. Food is much more of a problem early on, for sure.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Having just picked it up and played it with my usual co-op buddy, Core Keeper can't really be compared to Terraria just due to the sheer difference in development time. That said it's a fun little game that's enjoyable to just zen out and mine in, I'd compare it more to a top down pixel Minecraft than Terraria, with a more focused end goal and world. I can see the complaints for not feeling super rewarded for exploring, what you find is so uneven. Like the X marks where you use a shovel to dig up random bits like seeds, super early game armor occasionally and some ore? You can randomly get a purple necklace that gives you minor health regen so you don't have to slam food down your gullet just to top your health off. Busted? No, but it's a huge QoL thing I would never have expected to get out of the ground like that.

We've only made it as far as the Clay Caves and Tin so far, and the first boss was simple but tough. I can't image beating it without finding one of the rare cave features that dropped an offhand trinket that gave me a dodge, made the fight way more manageable.

Core Keeper is absolutely worth picking up for $12, but you can def still feel the early access vibes in terms of depth.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Solumin posted:

My main criticism is that exploration is my favorite thing to do in any game, and I didn't enjoy exploring in Core Keeper.

On this note, I think that I realized that my favorite part of Terraria is the exploration. The feeling when you find an early game gem cave(hook time!), or that accessory you have been searching for for hours(stupid lava charm).
Does any other procedurally generated game come close?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Very different genre but Starsector has really enjoyable procgen exploration.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

metasynthetic posted:

Very different genre but Starsector has really enjoyable procgen exploration.

pre order link for the game https://fractalsoftworks.com/preorder/

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Next Terraria update will allow most things to be stacked to 999. Other QoL stuff is coming too. Can't wait!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
#2 is currently obsessed with Journey Mode. He's been trying for over a year to beat the Wall of Flesh to unlock hardmode but he just hasn't managed to do it. Instead he's just loving around on Journey Mode, killing the Moon Lord 4-6 times in his daily half hour :v:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Mayveena posted:

Next Terraria update will allow most things to be stacked to 999. Other QoL stuff is coming too. Can't wait!

Not just 999, but 9999!

The TModLoader folks also say they plan to release their official 1.4 in May, to celebrate the second anniversary of Terraria 1.4.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Vizuyos posted:

Not just 999, but 9999!

The TModLoader folks also say they plan to release their official 1.4 in May, to celebrate the second anniversary of Terraria 1.4.

I will be surprised if it is a full release and not a beta, because they still seem to be planning full overhauls to multiple systems.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
TModloader 1.4 has been in beta for a while, so I guess this is their more finalized release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I still can't believe, in a good way, that this game is still being patched and improved so many years later.