Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Normally it specifies in the ability's tooltip (such as making the distinction between healing living and undead units). Presumably if the reviv crystal's ability doesn't specifically state only healing Lizardmen units, you should be gravy.

Ah, good call, it does specify lizardmen. Guess I'll go with some Kroxigors instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Makes me think, and realise the new Cathay lore is exactly that, but wonder what is Cathay's stance on the Lizardmen?

Presumably they wouldn't get along (or specifically the ruling dragons) given the Old Ones messed up the initial Dragon paradise the planet was.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The lizards don't really get along with anyone afaik

They might slightly tolerate your presence in some rare cases but mostly they'll either tell you to gently caress off or bash your skull in if you get too close to their poo poo. They only really care about The Great Plan and if the plan happens to mention an alliance with the elves then they'll probably accept it but otherwise never would

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

The lizards don't really get along with anyone afaik

They might slightly tolerate your presence in some rare cases, but mostly they'll either tell you to gently caress off or bash your skull in if you get too close to their poo poo. They only really care about The Great Plan and if the plan happens to mention an alliance with the elves then they'll probably accept it but otherwise never would

Skinks generally have the autonomy and intelligence to negotiate with other races, if it would be in their interest, right up until the Slann wakes up and says that the humans over there need to be removed and sends the Saurus in to eat everyone. So alliances with the Lizardmen I imagine would be very brief and very of convenience.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hellbore posted:

Skinks generally have the autonomy and intelligence to negotiate with other races, if it would be in their interest, right up until the Slann wakes up and says that the humans over there need to be removed and sends the Saurus in to eat everyone. So alliances with the Lizardmen I imagine would be very brief and very of convenience.

The Lizards are generally seen as just Alien and impossible to understand by the other factions.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Lizardmen are pretty wildly variable tbh, there's not really a set script for dealing with them just because they don't really have anything resembling a central authority. There are groups of them who haven't seen or heard from a Slaan in generations who have developed their own cultures that wildly diverge. The only big constants are a hatred for Chaos. Also the Skinks hate Skaven enough that they invented and empowered a whole new god to eat them which the Slaan seem to be mostly indifferent to/unaware of.

And even the Slaan will sometimes have the Lizardmen work with others instead of jumping straight to attacking. There are Lizardmen mercenary groups that the Slaan have commanded to basically bum around the old world finding ancient artifacts and getting hired in exchange for those 'trinkets' which makes them fairly popular as they have absolutely no ideological stake in any conflict they're hired for and will fight for what most people consider interesting garbage.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any beginner tips? Never played a total war game, but I love the Old World and want to crump some.

If you feel tempted to put one of every different unit in an army - don't. Try to keep your armies as simple as you can otherwise you'll have too many different moving parts to manage.

Don't pick too many fights at once. Try to manage one enemy at a time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
If you're having trouble with Tzeentch as Kislev I have the solution for you.

Bear Riders.

As it turns out, even a pretty weakened and wounded stack of Bear Riders without any magic support or a good lord can pretty much chump through a Tzeentch army because they can't shoot you if you're currently mauling them to death with a giant bear. Their Anti-Large also means that what few real Melee options a Tzeentch army has (Lords of Change, their mounted contingent) just loving die. I fought Kairos's stack + his Tier 5 Garrison using a pretty wounded Bear Rider stack with a Boyar who was literally recruited for the ability to hold bear riders (And only had his blue line since I didn't care if he died) and it wasn't even close. The AI isn't smart enough to focus fire you down one at a time, they wont get enough shots as you literally tear right through them, they cannot or don't shoot in melee and they have no ability to fight in melee.

Ice Guard can outshoot them, but Bear riders literally just laugh and kill them without a single care in the world. I went in with most of my bear riders being 7 models and one even being 5, didn't matter I only lost one bear rider unit.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
That's good to know, Tzeench feel really cheap rear end with their ranged attacks and shields, it was a very nasty surprise the first time I fought them. Way I see it, chaos goes :

Khorne: Fucks you up in melee, bloodletters just buzzsaw through everything.
Slaanesh: Khorne only with no pants so they can run faster.
Nurgle: Slow and take forever to kill.
Tzeench: Just busting out ropes of magical jizz all over your dudes nonstop.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Panfilo posted:

That's good to know, Tzeench feel really cheap rear end with their ranged attacks and shields, it was a very nasty surprise the first time I fought them. Way I see it, chaos goes :

Khorne: Fucks you up in melee, bloodletters just buzzsaw through everything.
Slaanesh: Khorne only with no pants so they can run faster.
Nurgle: Slow and take forever to kill.
Tzeench: Just busting out ropes of magical jizz all over your dudes nonstop.

Tzeentch cannot fight in melee which fucks with a lot of people because unless you're literally Khorne or Slaanesh, you're almost assuredly running a combined arms OR ranged army (Due to Ranged being very powerful) but a ranged shoot out is what Tzeentch does best, which fucks with 90% of armies. Infantry is too slow to really close the distance effectively, creating the Ratling Gunner effect, and Cavalry of any kind is typically undervalued due to being... well... poo poo. It's also that Tzeentch incentivizes the Khorne/Slaanesh playstyle over any real tactical play. The goal fighting Tzeentch isn't to set up a proper formation and shoot them down and be methodical, it's bumrush those fucks and put them into the dirt. It's funny for all the AI's perfect cavalry micro it sucks at ranged micro. Like War Sleds, War Bear Riders, both are really destructive because there's not much Tzeentch can do if you disrupt their ability to shoot.

Khorne is the usual "Force them into a choke/shoot the poo poo out of them as they blitzkrieg into death." Slaanesh is the same but faster, Nurgle is the same, but occasionally there's artillery and also their own ranged units... which is the reason Tzeentch catches you out. You fight 3/4 Chaos Daemons the same way, and have to radically shift to fight Tzeentch.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Yeah it sucks incredible poo poo trying to fight Tzeentch as Cathay since you have dwarf-speed infantry, garbage cav that never earns a spot in any armies, and no fast-mover dog type units either. So it's just a grindy war of ranged attrition until you get enough artillery that you can decimate them before they get into their own firing range.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I think I remember reading somewhere (could have been discord) that Legend did a trick where he camped next to a town that a neutral army was sieging and when he was pulled into the siege he used attack ground on his "ally" to make it so they lost and he could then take the town.

Well, it turns out if you set up next to a town a neutral army is sieging and then concede defeat before you have even arrived as reinforcements, it causes the sieging army to lose regardless of how guaranteed of a win it was. Lol.

I just took Hochland's last town from Karl doing this. I was going to try to do the same thing as Legend since I had a contract for that town, but the defenders were so battered from when I declined to assist on Reikland's last attack (which caused a legitimate loss and then Karl instantly resieged with a powerful stack) that I conceded defeat deciding not to bother. Surprise! Karl lost the battle too! And I got +40 relations with Hochland for the contract, who I just killed.

e: The garrison was battered so I only took minimal casualties from it, I imagine a full, ugly garrison will hurt more.

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 19, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How long did ME take to come out for TW2? I've got absolutely no recollection of whether it launched with the game or much later.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

JBP posted:

How long did ME take to come out for TW2? I've got absolutely no recollection of whether it launched with the game or much later.

Just shy of a month after TWW2's release - TWW2 came out on September 28th, 2017, and ME released on Oct 26th. It was honestly really fast. Norsca was the big problem child, taking 7 months to come out after ME because they had to basically rebuild the entire faction's code from scratch.

We're past that kind of timeframe with TWW3 already and they're still muddling through post launch bugfixes and their first balance patch is slated for some time in April, so it's probably going to be a while.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

ME arguably should’ve been (maybe was?) a beta when it released. If IE takes a few more months to come out but is in good condition (big ifs, I know) then I’ll be plenty happy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kanos posted:

Just shy of a month after TWW2's release - TWW2 came out on September 28th, 2017, and ME released on Oct 26th. It was honestly really fast. Norsca was the big problem child, taking 7 months to come out after ME because they had to basically rebuild the entire faction's code from scratch.

We're past that kind of timeframe with TWW3 already and they're still muddling through post launch bugfixes and their first balance patch is slated for some time in April, so it's probably going to be a while.

Yeah I'm not stressed about the timeframe on this one, it's a big job. I just couldn't for love or money remember how long it took last time lol.

I've barely scratched the surface due to Elden Ring and GT7 and I might not be ME ready for some time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
IE has a big advantage on ME because, in theory, the load time fix will be present at IE's release. It's hard to emphasize exactly how torturous ME was to play back before potion of speed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kanos posted:

IE has a big advantage on ME because, in theory, the load time fix will be present at IE's release. It's hard to emphasize exactly how torturous ME was to play back before potion of speed.

Yeah it was loving awful. I think the disconnect in my brain is turn speed patch ME vs vanilla speed because I'd get so frustrated with vanilla that I'd abandon games.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It is shocking how fast the turnspeeds are right now, really. I remember TWWH2 vortex campaign taking forever to do turns when it came out.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I mined the old thread, ME was two months after release no wonder I don’t remember hating the vortex I never had time to

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
When a building bonus says "local region" does that mean settlement or province?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

fuf posted:

When a building bonus says "local region" does that mean settlement or province?

Settlement, which is pretty bullshit.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

KPC_Mammon posted:

Settlement, which is pretty bullshit.

thanks, annoying that they have that little bit of naming inconsistency

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"region" consistently refers to the territory controlled by a single settlement.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Settlement would mean just the city itself, region is also the territory around it. It's pretty consistent.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
The part that is bullshit is how many buildings have pretty minor bonuses to just the region and might look alright until you realize region and providence are different and they do next to nothing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Yeah. A good example is the hallowed woods building, which gives a bit of replenishment, +25% to farm income, and +8% ambush chance. To just that settlement. Some people have argued that once you finish the follower race you can tear down many churches and replace them with this. But I personally prefer to build market /farm/walls.

Woods could have made more sense if they rebalaced the values and had it apply to the whole province. This would have been more flexible and practical; in Oblasts for example you could have 4 tier 3 versions to maximize the effect and have profitable farms and hefty ambush chance, all of which are useful. Or you could just have one city have it and have the rest still get a bit of improvement as a result.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
This ties into stuff like Legend burning himself out and creators being mad with CA for various reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzdmz-DG2SI

Apparently some creators are floating the idea of making a Total War Creators Union.

lol

I hope they do it just to see the absolute shitshow that will result.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The moment I see Volound's channel icon all desire I had of watching the video suddenly evaporates. Is he still an official content creator after he got exposed as a toxic idiot? Dude would go through the posting history on reddit of people who disagreed with him to get "gotchas" like "oh so you're suicidal huh"

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
That's the dumbest thing I've heard today and I've heard a lot of dumb things today.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
As much as I respect the endless hustle decent creators do when they push too hard like this it's hard to do anything but laugh in their faces. Like poo poo, the best thing that could happen to Legend regarding his post about quitting WH3 streaming would be for it to be forgotten. He can sheepishly come back to his money pump next month.

"We need to unionize so CA can't force us to play their game even when it is not to our satisfaction!"

And a colossal galaxy brain on this guy to put this out one day after CA puts up patch notes that pretty much read "We've heard almost all of your complaints and surprise, they'll be addressed." Bunch of dimwit clowns who somehow didn't realize while reading the NDAs they agreed to telling them as much that they're volunteering to do marketing for CA and GW.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 19, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

The moment I see Volound's channel icon all desire I had of watching the video suddenly evaporates. Is he still an official content creator after he got exposed as a toxic idiot? Dude would go through the posting history on reddit of people who disagreed with him to get "gotchas" like "oh so you're suicidal huh"

Oh, there's no reason to watch the video, he just does his typical repetitive ranting of the same 3-4 points. It's just fitting that the most toxic whiner of them all would be the one spearheading this.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The game certainly has issues and there are things I'm disappointed about, but when I hear grognards act like absolute Karen's about it I can't help but relatively defend some things because those types of nerds can be so miserable and insufferable.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
i like Janet on Occasion because it’s like having a silly chat with a friend who likes Warhammer lore and knows it’s dumb

please don’t tell me he incinerates dogs

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FWIW the way CA dumped the marketing of the game in the last month of pre-release on streamers while they didn't have a community manager did have a bit of a 'we'll pay you in exposure' feel to it to me. I don't think the analogy fully works since obviously streamers want that level of access since views are their business model, but I do think the line between mutual benefit and unpaid intern got a little blurry there for a bit. And I also think streamers compromised their integrity a bit by downplaying the issues they had with the game as a result of that line blurring.

Edit: not that I'm saying a streamers union is the answer, just that I think some degree of wanting to reevaluate the relationship streamers have with CA makes sense.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 19, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, the game has issues, CA has recognized them and is working on it, and some random dude on Youtube... wants to unionize people who... are independently employed and don't actually get paid by CA? I think that's more of a "him" problem.

I think Legend's issue is that he's REALLY on the grind, which, to be fair, is a huge habit to break when that grind is your livelihood, but my man had over 500 hours in the game BEFORE the release. Even a completely flawless game would be grating on you after that amount of time spent with it over only a few weeks. PLUS the need to be streaming AND editing videos (if he doesn't have an editor, that is), among other things? Yeah, burn out is totally understandable.

The 1.1 info seems solid as hell, though. The changes to portals, the race, and whatnot all seem really well thought out. In a perfect world, they would have been in place for release, but that ship has sailed and at least they're actually going to do it now. I'm hoping we'll see the big map by the summer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think hostility towards CA is good because if they want people to do marketing for them for free then they should put out better games that aren't broken heaps of poo poo.

I doubt it will actually stick but certainly in an ideal world they wouldn't be promoting future titles for them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Everyone should be able to unionize. It shouldn't be specific to Total War games and should broadly include video game streamers/content creators in general but there 100% should be a union.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Hostility towards CA is fine where deserved and WH3 did a lot to deserve it but I don't buy streamers trying to puff themselves up after the fact. "I woulda told you the truth but I was under NDA/scared to lose my access." Nah, that is what a NDA does. If you want to be brave and defy a NDA you can either crash and burn hard by violating it(I don't recommend this even on principle) or, smart option, you don't sign it. At the end of the day that month of extra stream revenue for the hypest game of 4 years won. There's no lines to blur here unless they want to share their contracts and something fishy actually happened. And how did CA dump their marketing on them? This is in addition to all the regular game marketing stuff unless we're going to argue that GW of all companies doesn't know how to market their IPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Everyone should be able to unionize. It shouldn't be specific to Total War games and should broadly include video game streamers/content creators in general but there 100% should be a union.

OK so I don't want to be a jackass here but genuinely curious, what are video game streamers unionizing to protect themselves from? Do they need legal power to hold CA accountable for releasing WH3 and it ... isn't as fun as predicted? The streamers even got what they were promised already, the views and monetization of their January WH3 early access videos. What crime is CA committing, because unions are to protect workers from company abuse. The streamers aren't even employed by the company here. I sincerely don't get what foot they can stand on here.

The traditional protection from this is Not Buying Product. Now I posted myself that Steam/refund winds make this a huge pain in the rear end but that's an issue that Steam should expand their refund window past 2 hours for games that have average play times in the double or triple digits.