Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

You know what, I'm unironically on the kid's side here. Clothes shopping is soul sucking and energy draining; it's making me feel a little tired just thinking about it now. That he wouldn't want to do that, but would be willing to accept a treat of a meal he likes, doesn't prove a drat thing, Mom. :colbert:

coronatae posted:

What the hell is going on in Rae the Doe? I don't imagine this is being well received in actual newspapers

I haven't a drat clue. I've never read Little Women so I had no idea what all that was about, and now it seems to have shifted into referencing something else that I'm not even sure what it is.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

I really hope that's just sagging tights and not her leg skin. :gonk:

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Rae the Doe is doing a very self indulgent Little Women/Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure style mashup and it’s kinda turned into a big mess. I wish Olive would take an actual break instead of doing this as the break.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Little Women is about four sisters during the American civil war. One of them, arguably the main character, is named Josephine, and she is a tomboy who openly talks about wishing to have been born a boy, and goes by the nickname Jo.

I know that the first time Rae the Doe went into this it turned into a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure reference, which is very funny, but also I don't know anything about JoJos, only about Jo, so I don't know if this is the same joke again.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Just figured out what else was bothering me about this.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

She lives in an apartment on the second (possibly third) floor. And it's not one of those multi-level condo-style units, since there are people[s] living downstairs. And yet here she is at a ground level window, waving to them on the lawn.

I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder. :smug:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Medenmath posted:

Someone had posted the linework for this strip a while back. I'm afraid I don't remember who it was, sorry!

Oh hey that was me from my trip to the National Archives a few years back!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I hope it's evidence she did steal the idea for the Doggo Twins. :colbert:

(It won't be.)

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

Little Women is about four sisters during the American civil war. One of them, arguably the main character, is named Josephine, and she is a tomboy who openly talks about wishing to have been born a boy, and goes by the nickname Jo.

I know that the first time Rae the Doe went into this it turned into a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure reference, which is very funny, but also I don't know anything about JoJos, only about Jo, so I don't know if this is the same joke again.

It's exactly the same joke, yes

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This one got a good smile outta me.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True March 31, 1919

For anyone else curious, this is about $245/week now.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

this one got me good

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Bloop posted:

Is this just standard performative goon food snobbery or am I missing something here

Not snobbery, I prefer McDonalds. So I got no legs to stand on there.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Slammy posted:

And He … Jesus! March 28, 1919

holy smokes

Slammy posted:

Cat Tales March 9, 1925

took me longer than I want to admit to see the third panel correctly

Slammy posted:

Mopsy Kills Again November 20, 1937

DIAL "M" FOR MOPSY

Powered Descent posted:

She lives in an apartment on the second (possibly third) floor. And it's not one of those multi-level condo-style units, since there are people[s] living downstairs. And yet here she is at a ground level window, waving to them on the lawn.

I'm glad you took this bullet because I was about to post the same thing

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol is this about the franchises in Russia refusing to shut down? Because the BK corporate office in America can’t actually do anything about it

Lol no I just hate BK (their burgers have a weird taste), like other guy.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

All you need to know for any JoJo parody is that:
- Everyone gets at least one superpower that has incredibly specific limitations, like you can control all metal, but only while your eyes are closed.
- Most of the fights are about figuring clever ways around your power's limitations, or figuring out your opponent's limitations.
- All the powers have thematic names, often some reference to rock music.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Honestly the thought of parodying JoJo seems kinda creatively bankrupt to begin with, because how the hell are you gonna parody a parody?

Badly, in 99,9% of the cases.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

because how the hell are you gonna parody a parody?

Hey, it worked for Scary Movie.

e: On second thought I suppose that was more a parody of a satire.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Powered Descent posted:

Hey, it worked for Scary Movie.

Did it really?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm amused by the fact that Mandrake is dueling cowboys in two separate storylines being posted at the same time.

Powered Descent posted:

Actually, she could have a basement that she's renting out to another family, which would allow for people to live downstairs while still having a ground level window. :smug:

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

I think Andertoons is consistently good but this one really knocked it out of the park imo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Showing that candle who's the boss.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

From The Breaking Cat News Instagram

Georgia Dunn posted:

Thought everyone might enjoy a peek at a zeppole! This is from West’s Bakery @westsbakery, the local Hope Valley, RI bakery Trevor’s Woman, Burt’s Woman, and I grew up loving (and still love.) Truly a (delicious) thing of beauty!

I forgot a CRUCIAL piece of the zeppole to label in Puck’s chart—the cream filling! 😋 Ohhh, I miss these. If anyone knows of a bakery in Washington state (or anywhere in the Pacific Northwest—will travel for pastry! 🤣) that makes zeppoles, I’m all ears! I have tried to track one down for many years without luck. Hopefully someday! 🤞🏻 Until then, please enjoy one for me if you have them where you are!

Here's the bakery's website. Too bad I'm trying to cut down on my sugar intake.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Gabriel Set-Up

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I really appreciate the characters doing the poses from the title header, including Ms Griffs trying to do Taku's pose

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

The early days of my characters were severely visually impoverished. Shelley drives a bug because in 1998, pre-photo ref and Sketchup etc, the only car I had in my “office” was one of those pull-back Transformers Bumblebees (Goldbug?) to draw from.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The_Other posted:

From The Breaking Cat News Instagram

Here's the bakery's website. Too bad I'm trying to cut down on my sugar intake.

That's pretty elaborate. The zeppoli they sold at my hometown's annual St. Rocco's Festival were just random blobs of fried dough sprinkled with powdered sugar.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Jan 23-24, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jun 6, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 7-8, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

please please please let the random quote for the sunday strip be depeche mode

allieverwanted
allieverneeded

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 23, 1934)

Peanuts (March 21-22, 1975)

Les Moore's Cancerwife Victory Lap

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 18-19, 1938)

Out Our Way (June 2-4, 1938; timg'd for the usual issues)

Toonerville Folks (November 14-16, 1918)

Dok's Dippy Gunboat Diplomacy (January 6, 1914)

Little Lefty (March 23-25, 1936)

Blondie (From Zero) (September 28-30, 1931)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Oh hey that was me from my trip to the National Archives a few years back!

Thanks for sharing the photo!

Prince Valiant

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Now, THAT'S a good 'un.

In today's Blueberry: Look out below!, or timg'd for horse violence, or Blueberry keeps the band together...

Samovar fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 20, 2022

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Today's Guindon...

...and J. Wesley Smith

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Like, I know this is what Peanuts was for the majority of its life and what it's best known for, but still. "Ha ha, he's miserable and hates his life because he's not good at anything and has no self-esteem! Hilarious!" The actual joke is probably supposed to be "He's massively overreacting and it's silly to imagine being a person being paved over for a parking lot" but that isn't really the punchline, the punchline is just "I will always be worthless" and as a person with brain problems it really bothers me. I'm not mad about Peanuts or anything but it's just early Peanuts was good fun and very light-hearted, and most of "modern" (for lack of a better term) Peanuts just feels spiteful and mean-spirited towards Charlie Brown, and he just becomes the butt of the joke because he sucks at everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EasyEW posted:

Les Moore's Cancerwife Victory Lap

This is starting to come across like she's just removing any evidence of her involvement in the project from her personal life