Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

another entire volume of the fable https://mangadex.org/chapter/96defbc5-8fce-432a-838f-7157d511d0b0/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Whaaaat this is the best. I'm looking forward to some comeuppances occurring.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I binged Summertime Rendering, which is being made into an anime soon. Technically I think it Shonen but it felt much more like a seinin manga to me, especially with the amount of nudity. The central mystery and the mechanics of the plot are very compelling though it does get extremely convoluted down the line. Some of the clearest battle choreography and page layouts I’ve seen in manga though, it’s incredibly readable and hard to imagine how it was a weekly series.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So over the last year the Battle of the Bands has been unfolding in Shiori Experience and while I haven't been posting the updates it's not for lack of quality. But I think now is a good time to binge these two volumes because we hit the climax with style. I won't bother posting a billion images since every chapter is just so well executed I might as well dump everything there is. I will say that Machida and Osada are a match made in heaven when it comes to actually conveying the energy and excitement that music can provide without a single sound. The performances are a visual treat to watch and I really encourage you all to use a 2-page viewer either on MD or by :files: the comic from the translator.

The band has really shaped up and every character feels like they earned their place and their moments to shine. Shout out to my boy Prince for just killing it while hamming it up. I enjoy when an author can reincorporate a minor character without it feeling forced and the most recent chapter can only be described as cathartic for everyone. The rival bands are great but Black Bus as a parallel to the Shiori Experience was a welcomed addition and I was rooting for them as well.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

christmas time for the fable https://mangadex.org/chapter/2f3635df-ddcf-4061-9da4-36a97fe7f6ba/1

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Fable is incredible. One of the best reads for me in a while. Such a good balance between tragedy and comedy in a sometimes very gruesome and sad setting.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Holy loving poo poo, how is Shiori Experience that beautiful and so totally unknown. These are Murata-level spreads, and no one I mention this comic to has ever heard of it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

ugusername posted:

Fable is incredible. One of the best reads for me in a while. Such a good balance between tragedy and comedy in a sometimes very gruesome and sad setting.

Its like yakuza coen brothers - and this latest volume was so sweet. The christmas party was great. While I love the way the author does the quick snippets of violence, I think at its heart this manga is best when its just these assassin goofballs bluffing their way through normie stuff.

The boss being a stand up guy and treating Satou and Yukou nicely was great.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Squidster posted:

Holy loving poo poo, how is Shiori Experience that beautiful and so totally unknown. These are Murata-level spreads, and no one I mention this comic to has ever heard of it.
It's probably because it has never had the most consistent scanlation schedule up until the past year or so, and even now, the scanlators are only up to Vol 13 of 17

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As of the most recent chapter of Shiori Experience, the end game has finally become visible and Jimi's plan has been revealed. Through playing a rad song, Shiori has allowed Jimi Hendrix to jack into this entire crowd. It won't be long until the entire world is under the control of Jimi Hendrix.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tenkaichi is such trash. Half the conversation panels I'm questioning if the translators are loving with me; they're complete shitposts.

And for some reason I can't stop reading month to month.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Yea I'm really curious if a lot of the dialogue is actually being correctly translated - but the art style whips and I like dumb rear end battle manga so I won't stop reading it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I Am Fowl posted:

Tenkaichi is such trash. Half the conversation panels I'm questioning if the translators are loving with me; they're complete shitposts.

And for some reason I can't stop reading month to month.

I really hope the character whose motivation is just rape doesn’t win

EDIT: Normally there's no way they would(and especially a non-Japanese character) but apparently Tenkaichi doesn't plan its winners in advance.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 12, 2022

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

EDIT: Normally there's no way they would(and especially a non-Japanese character) but apparently Tenkaichi doesn't plan its winners in advance.

Honestly, the way I rationalize it is that this brief moment where William is legitimately trying to shake on the match is how he's going to approach the ladies. If this guy wins his representative will run the country so he'll have no shortage of women that would be willing to lie with him due to his status. Now his opponent, that's the person he wants to forcefully and unwillingly thrust his scottish dirk into. I have to give William the benefit of the doubt because I want him to win at least this first round and let the foreigner who caught yellow fever either fight the sumo wrestler or the old man in the next block. I think it can work because Oda has a couple of reps in this tournamnent so Yagyu doesn't have to win to keep the Nobunaga clan in the running. I think the story overall has potential, the art is there but I need a fight that really gets my blood pumping.

-------------

Now, for true garbage I would recommend Tokyo Duel which is what happens when someone binges Baki the Grappler and then decides to make his on version of Kengan Ashura. The story is simple, the various stations of the Tokyo rail system each have a representative fighter who is both the guardian of the city and the person the station uses to settle disputes with the others. The government is restructuring the line so all the stations are having a massive tournament to determine which city will become the new head station. Our main fighters include:
  • Our MC who is a japanese festival drummer
  • A panda obsessed zoo worker who has permanently tattooed various panda related markings on his body and worships 'Lord Panda'
  • A Buddhist who carries tombstones around and wants to kill anyone he fights to grant them peace
  • A cop who wants to get away with "justifiable" murder but is saving his "first time" for that special someone
  • 2 prodigy assassins of varying genius
  • Super cook
  • A cat eyed hostess club owner
  • Obligatory Kabuki theater character
  • Random black guy
  • A guy that fights alongside a dog who communicates to him with his Bark-to-English phone app
  • Somebody covered in bling from head to toe
  • A literal K-pop idol
  • The guy who still can't get into the college he wants and has a split personality
  • And the big dick Yojimbo of the Tokyo station that the reader knows nothing about
It's actually really dumb but in a fun way. Give it a whirl

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 12, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading Fable and am up to chapter 111. It's extremely good; my only minor gripe is the way Misaki's character is used.

Youko is the best. She is both very funny and cool.

edit right after the next chapter: So cool!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 13, 2022

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I watched the first Fable movie last night. It was actually pretty good. The casting was solid, most of the characters are a good likeness aside from Ebihara, though the guy they got still works for the role. Not as good as the manga, but they do try to capture its essence. Will probably watch the second one soon.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Kiichi!! VS prologue (first three chapter) out https://mangadex.org/chapter/64f5255c-4e7c-4724-91d6-cd3a87742a67/1

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I started reading the fable after the posts here about it and the youko drinking at the bar chapters are incredible

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Youko is, in many ways, more terrifying than Fable himself.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

RatHat posted:

Yeah it seems all the characters are potential protagonists or something? I was surprised Ninja Zarya won in the last match.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The author admitted that he doesn't have the tournament planned out and he writes the fights chapter to chapter, week to week, so when he starts on a match-up, even he doesn't know who's gonna come out on top.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 29, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mindblast posted:

Yeah it seems all the characters are potential protagonists or something? I was surprised Ninja Zarya won in the last match.

People seem really surprised by that but the writing never seemed that interested in the other guy.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

I started reading the fable after the posts here about it and the youko drinking at the bar chapters are incredible

She's not drinking, she's battling, and she's merciless when it comes to destroying her opponents

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

She's not drinking, she's battling, and she's merciless when it comes to destroying her opponents

She's savage, yes, but not merciless... as her latest battle has shown

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

People seem really surprised by that but the writing never seemed that interested in the other guy.

It was a done deal because he kept pulling out all his powerups while she's basically a ninja that doesn't use any ninjutsu the entire round. She'll have new stuff to do in round 2 but Zatoichi was a solved game by that point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, she makes a much better subject for a volume cover.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

It was a done deal because he kept pulling out all his powerups while she's basically a ninja that doesn't use any ninjutsu the entire round. She'll have new stuff to do in round 2 but Zatoichi was a solved game by that point.

He was also basically just pulling out the same powerup but better versions of it, so he didn't really have much momentum going forward. I dunno, never really saw what made Kotaro the underdog beyond cynicism about ladies winning fights.

Anyway, I know the writers have said they don't plan who wins beforehand but of the 2 fights I don't think either were like real left field swerves. Sure fight 1 had the seeming protag lose but i'm not sure i'd ever call Miyamoto Musashi winning a fight in a manga to be that much of an upset.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He was also basically just pulling out the same powerup but better versions of it, so he didn't really have much momentum going forward. I dunno, never really saw what made Kotaro the underdog beyond cynicism about ladies winning fights
I think the fight frames Toda as the underdog since he's the one getting pushed as hard as he is and the story outright says he has always been on a handicap his whole life. He wasn't able to even learn to use the long sword. Kotaro on the other hand was the actual gifted individual who had way too many screws loose and survived her own hell. I absolutely love Toda's character though and his final moments are one part tragic in that he actually gave up his shot at peace, and one part epic as he chose to go out spiting the gods themselves in style.

Both fights so far have really let the losers shine which I appreciate since losing this means death.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I read through Kiichi!! and Hibiki a little while ago. I think I tried to make a post about it but I'm not sure if I really had a point or not, but saying it anyway: It bothers me that Japan, or at least these Japanese authors, are glorifying basically ultra-violence as the first and immediate solution to any problem. They hand-wave it away because it's a young girl or a child but it's played off as being Very Cool. There's faint push back to it by the surrounding characters but let's face it, they are totally condoning it. Anyway rant over.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Yeah that would never happen in America, if Mark Miller wrote a comic book about stupid ultraviolence and called it kick rear end they would never make a big budget movie out of it.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

dipwood posted:

I read through Kiichi!! and Hibiki a little while ago. I think I tried to make a post about it but I'm not sure if I really had a point or not, but saying it anyway: It bothers me that Japan, or at least these Japanese authors, are glorifying basically ultra-violence as the first and immediate solution to any problem. They hand-wave it away because it's a young girl or a child but it's played off as being Very Cool. There's faint push back to it by the surrounding characters but let's face it, they are totally condoning it. Anyway rant over.

It's escapist fantasy. People live vicariously through a protagonist just walking up and punching an idiot in the face because they know it's something they'll never be able to do in their life.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hibiki is a hilarious maniac. She's nuts. It's like a character study of a Caravaggio-esque genius.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah I might've been poisoned by tropes or something. Figured they'd let cool blind sword grandpa have more time. But then again they're supposed to go for several matches and grandpa was savagely getting beaten while she was mostly getting scratched. He wasn't going far.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
There's more fable up on mangadex already. Praise be.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
my god this manga rules seriously Youko drunk sleeping with her eyes open is so good, and their fight was great too

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

fable exudes strong (& deliberate) boomer throwback energy in its views on proper masculinity and today’s youth, as well as pretty much misaki’s whole character, but that doesn’t preclude it from kicking rear end

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Trail of blood
to my only son Seichi i leave:
some cash
more trauma

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

MizuZero posted:

fable exudes strong (& deliberate) boomer throwback energy in its views on proper masculinity and today’s youth, as well as pretty much misaki’s whole character, but that doesn’t preclude it from kicking rear end

I definitely agree that it gives off this vibe pretty strongly, but it is great.

My favorite part of the latest release is how you can see in one panel that Youko averts her eyes when Satou spars with Kuro. Actually it's probably every panel where Youko's drinking and suddenly makes a horrifying expression but those little details are great.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Trail of blood
to my only son Seichi i leave:
some cash
more trauma

Any idea when this will conclude? If it follows the pattern of the author's other mangas it should probably be this year. But I'm wondering if there's an announcement I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bula Vinaka posted:

Any idea when this will conclude? If it follows the pattern of the author's other mangas it should probably be this year. But I'm wondering if there's an announcement I missed.

no idea, but it seems its heading for a conclusion. Shouldnt be too long now i feel.