Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m surprised there isn’t an automatic notification to all devices when something detects motion consistent with a clothes washer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

It's called the user guide and it's on Apple's site, I was wondering if there was an inbuilt one somewhere.

it's also available as an apple book

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104665

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Weedle posted:

it's also available as an apple book

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104665

Oh hey, thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Siri activating Find My was most unwelcome, you'd think that's exactly the kind of question Siri could answer.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

withak posted:

I’m surprised there isn’t an automatic notification to all devices when something detects motion consistent with a clothes washer.

this exists, but it alerts your stepbrother

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I haven’t noticed a drat difference here in LA

There is one block in santa monica where I got 1200mbit/sec on mm5G. I've been down from that high ever since.

e: sorry, 1600+mbit. I then turned a corner and It was gone :smith:

incoherent fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 20, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But how fast can Safari spam connect messages to download and run the dozen analytics trackers every website forces on us?

I think that (and dynamically rendered web pages) have been the biggest bottleneck for a long time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

incoherent posted:

There is one block in santa monica where I got 1200mbit/sec on mm5G. I've been down from that high ever since.
I found a gas station where on the driver's side of my car I got 5G UW, the passenger side, I got LTE. Fickle-rear end wireless.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Verizon is legally obligated to tell you that some parts of the future are here. Just not in sections you'd expect.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

incoherent posted:

e: sorry, 1600+mbit. I then turned a corner and It was gone :smith:

I live around LAX and I’m lucky if LTE even works on Verizon here.

It’s pretty bad.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Bad Purchase posted:

this exists, but it alerts your stepbrother

Well played, I cracked up out loud and my dogs are looking at me quizzically.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

withak posted:

“You appear to be caught in a tornado. Would you like me to notify your next of kin?”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I live around LAX and I’m lucky if LTE even works on Verizon here.

It’s pretty bad.

I assume you are, but to make sure: are you on a plan where you get “priority data?”

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Can someone recommend a non-bulky plasticky case that gives decent protection? I’ve got the Apple leather case now but it gets kind of gross and sticky whenever it meets moisture (which happens on runs and in the kitchen). I had a great case from Incase back in the iPhone 4 days and that did the job perfectly - but that was when smartphone producers had sense and made phones with backs made of metal instead of glass, so I don’t know how well it would’ve worked today.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Xabi posted:

Can someone recommend a non-bulky plasticky case that gives decent protection? I’ve got the Apple leather case now but it gets kind of gross and sticky whenever it meets moisture (which happens on runs and in the kitchen). I had a great case from Incase back in the iPhone 4 days and that did the job perfectly - but that was when smartphone producers had sense and made phones with backs made of metal instead of glass, so I don’t know how well it would’ve worked today.

Spigen Liquid Air
Caudabe Sheath
Phone Rebel Gen-3

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Xabi posted:

I like the dbrand grip case. It's like Otterbox-level priced but it is the grippiest thing I've had on a phone, and it comes with a skin included that goes on the phone itself or the case.

Spigen's good on the low end, but I feel like the Mag Armor one I had on there was coming off the sides easier than I liked.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spigen is good enough but certainly not top quality. It’ll protect your phone but there will be some niggling issues with it.. like on mine the reinforcement near the volume buttons is trash so it’s easy to flex it back. This doesn’t hurt the function at all but it’s kind of annoying.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've been using the Apple silicone cases and they're fine. No tearing issues and no worries about MagSafe compatibility.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My Spigen Ultra Hybrid has a flawless fit and has protected my phone from quite a few real bad tile floor falls. I love their cases and they seem to be getting better.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Spigen Rugged Armor case and screen protector have protected multiple iPhones from multiple drops on concrete.

No issue with the case tearing or getting loose.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Nthing Spigen. They are one that I've liked, trusted and then found out my trust was not misplaced from at least minor drops.

Not a big whoopsie person in general *crosses fingats*

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've been using the Apple silicone cases and they're fine. No tearing issues and no worries about MagSafe compatibility.
I got a black Apple silicone case with my 2020 SE and it was disappointing, especially for the price. Within a month the lip on the right edge had gotten gouged somehow, and a flap began to peel off in the exact spot my thumb made contact when I swiped from that side. I don’t carry anything else in my phone pocket, no keys, so I have no idea how it happened. I replaced it with some hard plastic case I got for $20 at Target and it doesn’t feel great but at least it doesn’t snag me. I think leather is probably the way to go for people who want an Apple first party case. It’s what I’d get if I had a fancier iPhone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Accys. Otter box came out with their version of the MagSafe battery backup and IMO it’s much better than Apple’s and $70 instead of $100 (disclaimer I got a decent discount so I am prob slightly biased).

https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/iphone-with-magsafe/wireless-power-bank-for-magsafe--5k-mah/wireless-power-bank-magsafe-5k.html

5,000 mAh battery , USB C cable so you can technically use a C cable to charge your iPhone in a pinch , snaps on fine with a MagSafe compatible case.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It's thicker than the phone!

Edit: oh, the Apple one is also.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 21, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Speaking of Accys. Otter box came out with their version of the MagSafe battery backup and IMO it’s much better than Apple’s and $70 instead of $100 (disclaimer I got a decent discount so I am prob slightly biased).

https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/iphone-with-magsafe/wireless-power-bank-for-magsafe--5k-mah/wireless-power-bank-magsafe-5k.html

5,000 mAh battery , USB C cable so you can technically use a C cable to charge your iPhone in a pinch , snaps on fine with a MagSafe compatible case.

Does the battery fast charge the phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does the battery fast charge the phone?

Not sure. My gut reaction is probably no, or at least not as fast as Apple’s. Haven’t used it enough yet to confirm in real world use.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I thought that was micro-USB port on the bottom and was going to ask what the gently caress. But it's USB-C which is fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Apple's battery doesn't fast charge the phone either. Which I think is fine, you want a battery "case" for extra endurance not to charge up.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
What MagSafe accessories do ya’ll use?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ESR vent-clip car mount/charger.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

doingitwrong posted:

MagSafe desk charger. I got an Anker one with a spot for my AirPods too since for a while Zoom didn't work on my PC and I had to connect with my iPad.

The one time my AirPods weren't charged kinda sucked, hence the charger.

Car mount seems good but my car also has a spot for phones kinda.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have Magsafe PopSocket I never use. Other than that, I have a charger on my headboard.

Oh wait, I have a thing on my dashboard, too. Doesn't charge, just sticks to it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

~Coxy posted:

ESR vent-clip car mount/charger.

Same, plus a MagSafe plate with a ring holder glued to it (I couldn’t find any integrated MagSafe ring holders I liked so I just made my own.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Got around to checking out my New Music Mix playlist.

14 of the 25 songs are jazz.

I have disliked all of them, again.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Not sure if this is the right thread, but it seems to be an iphone problem.

My wife has an iphone 13 and seems to have a problem with voicemails not showing up. Some quick googling had me: reset network settings, restart the phone, turn on wi-fi calling. I've left her a couple of test voicemails and they are still aren't showing up as notifications. If she calls into voicemail she can hear them, but that doesn't really help because she won't be aware of new ones as they come in.

I'm on the same network (AT&T) and plan as her, and I do not have any issue with my pixel 3a.

Any ideas?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

I use the wallet. I only ever keep a couple of cards with me so it’s nice to have when out and about.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

frosteh posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it seems to be an iphone problem.

My wife has an iphone 13 and seems to have a problem with voicemails not showing up. Some quick googling had me: reset network settings, restart the phone, turn on wi-fi calling. I've left her a couple of test voicemails and they are still aren't showing up as notifications. If she calls into voicemail she can hear them, but that doesn't really help because she won't be aware of new ones as they come in.

I'm on the same network (AT&T) and plan as her, and I do not have any issue with my pixel 3a.

Any ideas?

You might need to call ATT as it could be an issue with VVM on their end.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

I got a dash mount for the MagSafe charger that sticks on to the dash so I can mount my phone and charge it.

I have wireless CarPlay but sometimes I have to force quit Spotify after a call to get music to play again so having it on a mount doesn't break any laws if I use touch the phone.

In closing, wireless CarPlay kinda sucks.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

speaking of magsafe, how does it work with a standard third parrty clear plastic case? i've never used any magsafe stuff since i got my iphone 12 but need a new powerbank for an upcoming trip. was wondering if that would pose any difficulties. when i googled that some sites said it worked fine, others claimed you need a special case to work with the system

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The magnets have an extremely narrow window of effect and most cases are too thick to hold on without Magnets in the case.

I had a caudabe case without magsafe compatibility and it didn't magnetise but would charge. Swapped to the updated version with MagSafe and it does both fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If it's thin it might work but otherwise in my experience you need a MagSafe compatible case too.