Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

I've never dealt directly with dell or hp for business stuff

always through a var

We've mostly been using CDW for Dell stuff since COVID hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I had a personal device from HP over a decade ago that had a hardware issue. I called into the support line mid-late afternoon (East Coast), and ended up on hold.

At about three hours on hold (on speakerphone, doing other stuff), the hold message suddenly changed to "Our call center closed $anHourAgo. Goodbye." and terminated the call. I'd sat on hold for over an hour with no chance of support, and no notice that I was wasting my time.

I haven't even considered HP devices or recommended them to friends since then, and I don't expect that to change.

Every OEM sucks in their own way, but a deep and personal gently caress HP.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Counterpoint, last job and current job both use hp elitebooks and they are perfect

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have a surface 3 laptop and I couldn't be happier. I am pretty low maintenance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have an HP ProDesk Mini that I bought off eBay, it had a noisy fan and was within the warranty period, I went on the live chat and within 15 minutes had confirmation that a new fan was being sent out to me to swap myself. Would buy again.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

That's my experience with Dell. We only bought like $200,000 worth of stuff a year so we got shuffled around all the time.

"Hi! This is Sales McSalesperson at Dell. Thanks for calling! I've been promoted to Level III Sales Droid! Your account is now being handled by Derpy McDerp, at extension 23423"

Then you find out Derpy is already gone. And you've been moved to another guy. But he's on leave for some reason. So you have to call the generic sales line. You then get scolded for not calling your rep.

STILL BETTER THAN DEALING WITH HP

We haven't bought anything directly from Dell for over 10 years. I still get a call every couple of months from our "rep" asking what our needs are and how they can take our money. At least they stopped emailing monthly quotes for machines I never asked for with the message "Hey I thought you might need some new hardware, just sign the quote and we'll send it over!"

We still used Dell machines and are generally happy with them, but we get them through a VAR.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We were all in on supermicro systems from a local reseller, have a great relationship, support, first name basis with everyone.

Now supermicro is all "uh please buy from us directly" and along with the existing parts shortage they started limiting inventory.

Now we have boards from other vendors creeping into our environment and it's frustrating to integrate almost the same but not quite the same hardware.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
We buy from Dell directly because we kept getting screwed over by VARs. One would make warranty or service claims a huge pain in the rear end by registering all machines as owned by them instead of us. So we'd have to either send the machines to the VAR as a middleman or jump through the hoops of getting ownership transferred one machine at a time. The one we worked with after that kept "forgetting" to place orders with Dell after we paid them. There haven't been any major issues since we started buying from Dell.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I had a personal device from HP over a decade ago that had a hardware issue. I called into the support line mid-late afternoon (East Coast), and ended up on hold.

At about three hours on hold (on speakerphone, doing other stuff), the hold message suddenly changed to "Our call center closed $anHourAgo. Goodbye." and terminated the call. I'd sat on hold for over an hour with no chance of support, and no notice that I was wasting my time.

I haven't even considered HP devices or recommended them to friends since then, and I don't expect that to change.

Every OEM sucks in their own way, but a deep and personal gently caress HP.

Posting from a computer with an HP monitor that has a magenta line running down the screen. This happens to these regularly, including the loving AIOs. Any seasoned tech has a hatred for printers, and likely the HP Laserjet. My favorite feature of the HP Laserjet is Error 49, or "someone sent me a bad PDF to print". The thing is it will refuse to ever print anything again until you find the print queue with the offending job and delete it, but this is in a nursing unit with 30 computers plus countless virtual machines where the job could have come from. HP could have programmed their firmware to print an error page and eat the print job, but nope, just fails completely shut.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bob Morales posted:

That's my experience with Dell. We only bought like $200,000 worth of stuff a year so we got shuffled around all the time.

"Hi! This is Sales McSalesperson at Dell. Thanks for calling! I've been promoted to Level III Sales Droid! Your account is now being handled by Derpy McDerp, at extension 23423"

Then you find out Derpy is already gone. And you've been moved to another guy. But he's on leave for some reason. So you have to call the generic sales line. You then get scolded for not calling your rep.

My technique for dealing with this:

“ hi. Connect me to my rep please, whoever that is. And stay on the line with me until I’m talking to a human. Thanks.”

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hungry Computer posted:

We buy from Dell directly because we kept getting screwed over by VARs. One would make warranty or service claims a huge pain in the rear end by registering all machines as owned by them instead of us. So we'd have to either send the machines to the VAR as a middleman or jump through the hoops of getting ownership transferred one machine at a time. The one we worked with after that kept "forgetting" to place orders with Dell after we paid them. There haven't been any major issues since we started buying from Dell.

WTF

Some rando local MSP or a bigger national VAR?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

Counterpoint, last job and current job both use hp elitebooks and they are perfect

It's not hard to remove it but don't you get annoyed at the bloatware? Lenovo doesn't do that poo poo at least

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Why are you using a factory load on business computers

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Bob Morales posted:

WTF

Some rando local MSP or a bigger national VAR?

Local. My work has a policy of using locally owned small businesses whenever possible. One time they hired a local logistics company to move a printer to our satellite campus, and they didn't strap the printer down at all. It was broken beyond repair by the time it got there. The best part is they refused to reimburse us for the cost of the printer, and my work decided to let it drop because "it would look bad if the college was taking local businesses to court." According to my boss the real reason is that the owner of that company is the nephew of the head of finance :shrug:. The printer was a KM 360, which cost around $6000 CAD at the time.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

ASAPRockySituation posted:

It's not hard to remove it but don't you get annoyed at the bloatware? Lenovo doesn't do that poo poo at least

ahaha wtf

The Fool posted:

Yeah exactly this. Hell even with Intune so far we're still imaging with a blank Win10 + drivers before letting AutoPilot run - yes, it means not using the "ship directly from factory to user, they plug it in and turn it on and in a few hours are good" but we're also using pre-provisioning anyway so that the user doesn't have to wait for an hour while the machine downloads and installs software, so doing an initial blank reimage isn't a big deal.

Also I haven't looked at a Lenovo factory image in years but these are the fuckers who put a rootkit / malware on their factory image so uh....yeah. (We purchase exclusively Lenovo, to be clear, but given their history I would trust HP/Dell bloatware over Lenovo's factory image).

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 18, 2022

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

Because nothing at this place is automated

Nothing except the scripts I write which is lmao

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lmao is right

don't blame the oem for your org being rear end backwards

there are plenty of other problems to lay at their feet

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I had the same experience; it was a hassle trying to get something fixed or out of the ordinary. Then Dell changed their strategy so you had to go through a VAR. Made my life some much easier.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

The Fool posted:

Dell's factory load out (on the stuff they send me, at least) is super tight. It's basically Dell Command Update, Office, and that's it.
Going through them direct has also been super smooth, although I get to leverage Core Trust via my parent company, so that may have something to do with it.
Man Core Trust pricing OWNS.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

At my last job I had a ton of vendor reps and the ATT one in particular stands out because they would change who had our account every 3 months and were slow to update us. When it’s someone specific, it’s nice!

Back at the hosed-up little telemarketing company, pre-Y2K, our AT&T rep was a loving boss. She'd been with them forever, knew everyone and everything that you needed to keep your lines up and running, and take advantage of obscure features to help your customers. So when the idiot who was our liaison with Baan (a now-defunct ERP vendor run by mostly stupid people and thanks to tragedies a client of ours) decided that they needed a single toll-free number that anyone anywhere in the world could call, that poo poo got laid at my feet. I called my telecom hero at AT&T, who spent an hour of her time explaining to my customer why that was literally impossible and made it stick.

Knowing AT&T she was unceremoniously offboarded at the slightest excuse during some not-legally-a-reorg a few years later and got screwed out of just enough PTO and severance for it not to be worth a court fight. Pour one out for a real one.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

lmao is right

don't blame the oem for your org being rear end backwards

there are plenty of other problems to lay at their feet

they still shouldn't load up computers with crapware

mllaneza posted:

Back at the hosed-up little telemarketing company, pre-Y2K, our AT&T rep was a loving boss. She'd been with them forever, knew everyone and everything that you needed to keep your lines up and running, and take advantage of obscure features to help your customers. So when the idiot who was our liaison with Baan (a now-defunct ERP vendor run by mostly stupid people and thanks to tragedies a client of ours) decided that they needed a single toll-free number that anyone anywhere in the world could call, that poo poo got laid at my feet. I called my telecom hero at AT&T, who spent an hour of her time explaining to my customer why that was literally impossible and made it stick.

Knowing AT&T she was unceremoniously offboarded at the slightest excuse during some not-legally-a-reorg a few years later and got screwed out of just enough PTO and severance for it not to be worth a court fight. Pour one out for a real one.

I can't say I'm the least bit surprised. ATT is also the company who recommended MAAS360 to my last boss...

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 19, 2022

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

We have some new technology at work, Git and Maven. I keep screwing up using Git. I'm also running into a lack of documentation. I'm also back at work and I have a new chair. It's killing my back.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

It's easy to dig yourself into a hole with git. Check out this zine Oh poo poo, git!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Silly Newbie posted:

Man Core Trust pricing OWNS.

Tell me your organization is owned by private equity without telling me they're owned by private equity.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

they still shouldn't load up computers with crapware

I can't say I'm the least bit surprised. ATT is also the company who recommended MAAS360 to my last boss...

loving MaaS360. gently caress.

We've been migrating to Intune for over a goddamn year now. Back when we started, I got a request from the Mobile Device admins to move the all the MaaS admin AD groups to a different OU since they were in a container that doesn't sync to Azure. Ok, cool, no problem, wait 30 minutes for the next AD Connect sync.

They call me a couple hours later because NOONE CAN LOGIN TO MAAS. They had to use one of the builtin management accounts to get in, none of their groups are populated anymore, and wanted to know what we (AD) broke. Turns out that MaaS was using the AD DistinguishedName for the groups in the admin console, so when we moved them, they no more workey.

Kicker was that the admins couldn't edit the group paths (or didn't know how, even odds there), and MaaS support refused to assist.

So I moved all the groups back, the admins ran a sync, and all is fixed. Created new groups for Intune in an Azure synced container, and put a big "DO NOT MOVE THIS GROUP. MOVING THIS GROUP WILL BREAK MAAS360" on the Notes attribute for each group.

Also the only way to get it off the devices and enroll them into Intune is to do a factory wipe of the phone, so I have an "%Agency% Device Wipe" group that enables the ability for end users to initiate a device wipe when their enrollment group comes around. We have over 6,000 devices deployed.

gently caress MaaS360.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

incoherent posted:

Tell me your organization is owned by private equity without telling me they're owned by private equity.

I, for one, welcome my private equity overlords.

Yeah it feels a little scummy, but at least they bought a bunch of companies in an already kinda scummy industry and put absolutely no one in my chain of command who has any idea what I do, so I get left alone so long as I adhere to my budget projections.
Being able to build an entire infrastructure from first principles from a standpoint of correct, supportable, and secure, with no one able to try to gently caress with me for political clout, and being able to develop and protect a team is kind of a dream.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

All i'm saying is enjoy the freedom now. They may want to size you and your dept up if they go and drill in some commonality ( like shared technologies in their portfolio like...rackspace 🤢). Coretrust was one of them and for me it was easy to "embrace and extended" as while coretrust give you the cheap hardware these coretrust VARs are looking to make up on implementation projects. I had a stable of VARs and that aggressively quoted projects me and my CT reps couldn't touch.

Hell, they took a loss on a dollar on each office 365 licenses just to wildly swing their knife at any one coming within a feet of my organization.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

incoherent posted:

All i'm saying is enjoy the freedom now. They may want to size you and your dept up if they go and drill in some commonality ( like shared technologies in their portfolio like...rackspace 🤢). Coretrust was one of them and for me it was easy to "embrace and extended" as while coretrust give you the cheap hardware these coretrust VARs are looking to make up on implementation projects. I had a stable of VARs and that aggressively quoted projects me and my CT reps couldn't touch.

Hell, they took a loss on a dollar on each office 365 licenses just to wildly swing their knife at any one coming within a feet of my organization.

I had to go to my overlords and ask about their Coretrust, we're getting primed to be sold in 2-5 years, so it's whatever. I haven't even talked to a VAR, the portfolio is big enough that I get the pricing from my Dell rep direct.
I hadn't even thought of leveraging them for 365, and I've been shopping for a CSP lately, so I'll have to check that out.
Every dollar I shave from the estimated budget is a dollar I can shove into another project, or ideally shove into my team's bonus pool.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My last job got tribal government pricing, it was super nice because it allowed us to get enterprise pricing on stuff that would have been way out of reach due to size otherwise.

And both MS and our var had account reps dedicated to our segment.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm able to get sled with most client systems and not gonna lie, I want to work next to sled for the rest of my loving life

they put on the kiddie gloves, big time.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

I have a surface 3 laptop and I couldn't be happier. I am pretty low maintenance.

I have a personal Surface and I think it's great. I'd really like one for work but we just do Lenovo devices - I quite like them too, had no bother at all but I dont do anything fancy and I'm low maintenance too

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I strongly dislike having an internal CA for all our services

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I want Microsoft to make some managed CA thing in Azure

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Thanks Ants posted:

I want Microsoft to make some managed CA thing in Azure

I'm still gob-smacked that they haven't.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The closest they have is keyvault automation with some CA partners.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/az...-with-key-vault

Would absolutely love a managed internal CA service that integrated the same way.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

angry armadillo posted:

I have a personal Surface and I think it's great. I'd really like one for work but we just do Lenovo devices - I quite like them too, had no bother at all but I dont do anything fancy and I'm low maintenance too

I'm also in the same boat. I got stuck with lenovo that requires its own obscene power supply cable.

gently caress all of this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my hp charges off of of usb-c and I have used my ipad pro adapter on it with success

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

The closest they have is keyvault automation with some CA partners.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/az...-with-key-vault

Would absolutely love a managed internal CA service that integrated the same way.

This but also NPS so we can put RADIUS in the cloud.

I feel like the fact they haven't done it for either is probably due to some internal power struggle where the Azure gang is like "you want us to take this poo poo that has literally not been touched or changed since Server 2003 and run it in our 2022-era cloud? gently caress off".

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SyNack Sassimov posted:

This but also NPS so we can put RADIUS in the cloud.

I feel like the fact they haven't done it for either is probably due to some internal power struggle where the Azure gang is like "you want us to take this poo poo that has literally not been touched or changed since Server 2003 and run it in our 2022-era cloud? gently caress off".

I think somehow wifi alliance will mandate saml before azure radius gets released, i think it's the most requested feature for azure ad but microsoft keep telling no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I'd rather ditch RADIUS and move to certificates and a provisioning platform integrated with Azure AD, like https://help.central.arubanetworks.com/2.5.4/documentation/online_help/content/nms/policy/ca-overview.htm. There's no point building on NPS, it's poo poo.