Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Daric posted:

Edit: If I was to do this project again, or if anyone else is interested, I would suggest having a table saw. Trying to get a straight cut on a giant sheet of MDF with a little circle saw was a nightmare as was trying to get clean 45 degree cuts on the trim. You can kind of see where the corners aren't great but they'll work. I would also be interested in trying a block of high density foam from amazon instead of the gym tiles too. I don't know if it'd be better or not, but I'd be interested in trying it out plus it'd probably be easier to get it fit since I could just cut the block to the size I needed instead of having to cut out puzzle tiles and try to fit them in again.

The trick to straight cuts with a circular saw on sheet goods is to clamp a straight edge/saw guide/etc. To the sheet being cut, so the edges of the shoe of the saw are registering against the straight edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I’m very jealous of you indoor setup folks

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
What wedges (56-degree or so) can be best used with a full swing? I’d sure like something between my gap wedge and pitch-range. 16 handicap, and currently improving. I’m an old with two arthritic shoulders, so distance is an issue from the tee box & fairway — so I’m often approaching the green from 70-80 yards, and my current 56 is definitely not intended to be used with a full swing. I’m in dry Texas, so tight lies are the norm.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lincoln posted:

What wedges (56-degree or so) can be best used with a full swing? I’d sure like something between my gap wedge and pitch-range. 16 handicap, and currently improving. I’m an old with two arthritic shoulders, so distance is an issue from the tee box & fairway — so I’m often approaching the green from 70-80 yards, and my current 56 is definitely not intended to be used with a full swing. I’m in dry Texas, so tight lies are the norm.

Start here.

https://www.vokey.com/explained/wedge-bounce

Talk to your local pro in the course shop where you play.

But, all clubs are fine for a full swing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Lincoln posted:

my current 56 is definitely not intended to be used with a full swing.

It definitely is. It’s just that there’s less room for error on a full swing with a wedge.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Went to the driving range and all of the balls went relatively straight, but club type did not change the distance at all :saddumb:

That doesn't seem right

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

RCarr posted:

It definitely is. It’s just that there’s less room for error on a full swing with a wedge.

I'm a...decent golfer (handicap is fluctuating between 9-12 right now) and I'm still terrified to hit my sand or lob wedge full. I have zero confidence in full swings with those clubs - the one or two times a round I need it...it gets skulled 30 yards past the green. I tend to just use a pitching wedge or 9 iron and knock those down and have much greater success.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

mattfl posted:

Hey I just realized I never got an email from you. When are you in town again?

Right now! I emailed you two weeks back or so.

Idk that we can get something set for tomorrow, but maybe next time.

Also, I hit next to Trevor Immelmann today. So buttery.

I try to not be a divot monster but can’t do it like that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m the one fancy alignment stick paired with a Home Depot driveway market

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Very dumb question, what do you use them for when practicing?

I got some good strokes in today, had to drive like 45m bc the city driving range is closed tho. Mainly focused on 7-9 but got a few swings in with the new 3wood. Tbh I think that's all I'll be hitting (besides wedges and putter) to start the year. Keep it simple and easy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

I got some good strokes in today, had to drive like 45m bc the city driving range is closed tho. Mainly focused on 7-9 but got a few swings in with the new 3wood. Tbh I think that's all I'll be hitting (besides wedges and putter) to start the year. Keep it simple and easy.
Imagine looking down, addressing the ball. One stick will be outside the ball to align your shot and the other stick will be outside your toes to align your stance. That's the typical use case.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

I'm a...decent golfer (handicap is fluctuating between 9-12 right now) and I'm still terrified to hit my sand or lob wedge full. I have zero confidence in full swings with those clubs - the one or two times a round I need it...it gets skulled 30 yards past the green. I tend to just use a pitching wedge or 9 iron and knock those down and have much greater success.

I carry 4 wedges. PW (45), GW (50), 54 and 58. They are 145, 130, 110 and 100 full swing carry, and I use them for full swings all the time. I've did not know folks didn't like to use their wedges for full distance. I mean, what do you do for 100 yard approaches?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Choke up on a 9 iron? Honestly ive never had a problem whaling on my wedges. Pretty much from 90 in is a wedge for me.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Today was the day I found out that I'm regripping the club in the backswing and the face is extremely closed when I make contact. Just another swing falt to work on

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I'm sure it's all a mental thing that's different for everyone but I have way more confidence leaning on my 54/60 than on any other club in my bag. I'm actually terrified to replace my (15 year old) 60* because it's probably 2/3rds of the strokes gained in my game lol

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

What Josh said. I also use one for ball position (how far forward/back in my stance). And I occasionally stick one in the ground behind me. I am working on not having my first move at the top being a drop inside, so this helps me to feel like I get the club head more in front of me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

torgeaux posted:

I carry 4 wedges. PW (45), GW (50), 54 and 58. They are 145, 130, 110 and 100 full swing carry, and I use them for full swings all the time. I've did not know folks didn't like to use their wedges for full distance. I mean, what do you do for 100 yard approaches?

9 iron pitch assuming there isn’t a lot in the way. That’s a very reliable spot for me. 110 is full Gap and I have zero problems with that shot.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Omerta posted:

What Josh said. I also use one for ball position (how far forward/back in my stance). And I occasionally stick one in the ground behind me. I am working on not having my first move at the top being a drop inside, so this helps me to feel like I get the club head more in front of me.

Cool, thanks ya'll haha.
(Yes, I ordered some so it can help with my aim practice hehe)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

9 iron pitch assuming there isn’t a lot in the way. That’s a very reliable spot for me. 110 is full Gap and I have zero problems with that shot.

How much run out is normal? I've lost my ability to spin the ball back on demand, but I can drop my 58 degree at 100 and it's never more than 6' from it's ball mark (not necessarily close to the target, some side effects, not valid in Tennessee). I've never gotten bump and run down to any real accuracy outside 25 yards or so, so watching folks do that accurate shot from 100 yards always baffles me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Cool, thanks ya'll haha.
(Yes, I ordered some so it can help with my aim practice hehe)
FWIW, a driveway marker from Home Depot is functionally identical and only $2: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-48-in-Reflective-Rod-in-Orange-31474/304685319

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I had a driver fitting and went with the Stealth/Ventus combo. I wasn’t swinging that great during the fitting, so hopefully I didn’t mis-pick!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/phil-mickelson-2022-masters

Mickelson out for Masters! Holy hell did he absolutely gently caress himself.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Kinda crazy. It’ll be extra wild if he doesn’t show up at Southern Hills to defend (wtf how is Phil the defending PGA champion).

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Had my first lesson this morning at OCN. Started out very rough, but by the end I was doing alright. Completely changed pretty much every element of my grip and a few other tweaks. Now to keep up with practicing. It feels so unnatural right now

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omne posted:

Had my first lesson this morning at OCN. Started out very rough, but by the end I was doing alright. Completely changed pretty much every element of my grip and a few other tweaks. Now to keep up with practicing. It feels so unnatural right now

By OCN do you mean Orange County National?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Crosspostin' from the GIF thread:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

mattfl posted:

By OCN do you mean Orange County National?

I do, we live in one of the neighborhoods down the street

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omne posted:

I do, we live in one of the neighborhoods down the street

Nice! Love those courses but can't stomach the rates right now, need the snowbirds to go home and rates come back down to normal before I can get back out there lol

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

The walking course at OCN is a fun time. Don't make it out that way very often though.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Diplomat posted:

The walking course at OCN is a fun time. Don't make it out that way very often though.

I've never actually done the walking course, I'll have to try it one of these days.

Also, can winter rates just gently caress right off already. I know we're fortunate that we can golf year round and the 3-4 month rate increase happens every year and every year I bitch about it, but christ. Courses that are normally $50-60 on a Saturday morning during the normal golf season are $100+ right now and there's no tee times at all available! I'm lucky that a friend is a member at Legacy and Heathrow and gets me out there on the regular but all my go to courses are just booked solid, and I usually start looking the Sunday before the coming weekend to find times.

I know I know, Florida golfing problems, shut up and enjoy my year round golf right!

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

mattfl posted:

all my go to courses are just booked solid, and I usually start looking the Sunday before the coming weekend to find times.

Have you tried looking at this project I made to aggregate tee times? I made it cause I was having the same problem last summer and got sick of checking 10 courses before finding a tee time. It might help narrow things down to save you some time or maybe find you a course you weren’t aware of.

https://teewatch.com

I’ll probably work on it some more once golf season starts up where I live. Thinking about adding a map, and there’s always more work improving the course discovery/scanning process

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Summit posted:

Have you tried looking at this project I made to aggregate tee times? I made it cause I was having the same problem last summer and got sick of checking 10 courses before finding a tee time. It might help narrow things down to save you some time or maybe find you a course you weren’t aware of.

https://teewatch.com

I’ll probably work on it some more once golf season starts up where I live. Thinking about adding a map, and there’s always more work improving the course discovery/scanning process

I usually use golfnow(which it looks like your site is mostly pulling info from) or will go to the courses website directly that don't use golf now. I've lived and golfed in the area for 20+ years, there aren't any courses in my area or within a 60 mile radius I'm not aware of lol :)

But I appreciate the suggestion!

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

GolfNow (and their subsidiaries) is the biggest tee time provider so a lot of data does come from them (usually from TeeItUp, which they own), but it's highly regional. As you've pointed out Florida is well covered by GolfNow - it seems to be their most active market and probably where they focus most of their sales team. Meanwhile, where I'm at in Minneapolis GolfNow covers very few courses. It's far more mixed in the northern states with each course choosing their own direction. In the end I've found some regions benefit less from TeeWatch due to this, usually those in the south.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Summit posted:

GolfNow (and their subsidiaries) is the biggest tee time provider so a lot of data does come from them (usually from TeeItUp, which they own), but it's highly regional. As you've pointed out Florida is well covered by GolfNow - it seems to be their most active market and probably where they focus most of their sales team. Meanwhile, where I'm at in Minneapolis GolfNow covers very few courses. It's far more mixed in the northern states with each course choosing their own direction. In the end I've found some regions benefit less from TeeWatch due to this, usually those in the south.

It's probably also because GolfNow is located in Central Florida :)

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

mattfl posted:

It's probably also because GolfNow is located in Central Florida :)

Ha! Yeah, I figured it was something to do with that. Despite some attempts on my part I've yet to get any provider to directly partner with me. It would be nice, and also drive them more traffic/sales, but I think I'm still too small to even talk to at this point.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I wish golf was unpopular again (PLEASE DIE GOLF) so it wouldn't be 3 deep at the driving range.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I got reminded by the NCAA Tournament that the Masters is in two weeks.

I am extremely excited for it!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Jin Young Ko’s stats are bananas—just unbelievable. 66 consecutive GIRs, 16 rounds in the 60s, 114 bogey free holes. I mean, what the gently caress.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
66 straight GIRs is incomprehensible to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Omerta posted:

Jin Young Ko’s stats are bananas—just unbelievable. 66 consecutive GIRs, 16 rounds in the 60s, 114 bogey free holes. I mean, what the gently caress.

Dang, she is breaking golf. Don't worry, I can even it out in just a couple rounds.