Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

A.o.D. posted:

lol how the gently caress did he survive that

Stalin had had so many high ranking officers killed he didn't really have any to spare at that point. Rokossovsky was even yanked out of prison (where he had been tortured for three years) and made a colonel because they needed someone competent to go fight in Bessarabia.

The military of the Soviet Union was all kinds of F'd up in 1940.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Updated theater photo.

Stolen from CNN, who stole it from someone else.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The one time they hit what they were aiming for. Christ.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

The one time they hit what they were aiming for. Christ.

Hey, they could have been aiming for the church, or the residential blocks, or the shops.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Looking at that, and burned out apartment blocks, and all the usual Russian atrocities I keep thinking that Putin had changed the Ukrainian relationship with Russia from "yeah, the Russians are our redneck cousins that start bar fights sometimes" to a mortal enemy that will cause two generations to spit whenever Russia is mentioned.

Just such a stupid, pointless loving move.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Stalin had had so many high ranking officers killed he didn't really have any to spare at that point. Rokossovsky was even yanked out of prison (where he had been tortured for three years) and made a colonel because they needed someone competent to go fight in Bessarabia.

The military of the Soviet Union was all kinds of F'd up in 1940.

Didn't zhukov get purged too or am I thinking of rokossovsky

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't zhukov get purged too or am I thinking of rokossovsky
Zhukov got sidelined after the war because his success made him too popular. He managed to avoid getting purged and was a player in the post-Stalin power grab, and had personal reasons to participate in Beria's takedown. He did eventually get purged, but into a forced retirement rather than an unmarked grave.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A.o.D. posted:

Updated theater photo.

Stolen from CNN, who stole it from someone else.

Top right watermark, it's from Maxar, civilan satellite photography. Them and Planet Labs are good at their job

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stealie72 posted:

Looking at that, and burned out apartment blocks, and all the usual Russian atrocities I keep thinking that Putin had changed the Ukrainian relationship with Russia from "yeah, the Russians are our redneck cousins that start bar fights sometimes" to a mortal enemy that will cause two generations to spit whenever Russia is mentioned.

Just such a stupid, pointless loving move.

I mean you have both idiot alt-righters and leftists claiming literally right now that Russia was forced to do this. The disinformation on Russia's behalf seems to only be gaining. Hell my local Nextdoor was full of people claiming that Ukraine forced Russia into this.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

A.o.D. posted:

Zhukov got sidelined after the war because his success made him too popular. He managed to avoid getting purged and was a player in the post-Stalin power grab, and had personal reasons to participate in Beria's takedown. He did eventually get purged, but into a forced retirement rather than an unmarked grave.

Zhukov was always the one guy who could say or do whatever, like I don’t think anyone else in the top Soviet circles could just openly tell Stalin off which he did when Stalin wanted him to meet him at some long table weird shaped chair dictator’s office setup.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I might misreamember, but I recall reading somewhere that logistics tended to be one of the few strong points of near east Arabic militaries, because it was a dead end from a promotion perspective.

Everything else was poo poo because of rampant nepotism, but logistics had more eggheads and less failsons, so it tended to work. Maybe Putin intends to outsource logistics?

Russia also has a history of doing that, consider e.g the career of Kliment Voroshilov:

He got another go at generalling during the siege of Leningrad which... did not go well, so he was once again replaced with someone who knew what they were doing, this time Zhukov.

Voroshilov's main talent was kissing Stalin's rear end. Khrushchev allegedly once referred to him as "the biggest sack of poo poo in the army" after Stalin died.

lol i would have picked Semyon Budyonny as the biggest sack of poo poo

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ISW is declaring the Russian offensive a failure and says they can either dig in and regroup, or be forced to rule over a smoldering pile of rubble if they have the endurance for a war of attrition.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-19

quote:

Ukrainian forces have defeated the initial Russian campaign of this war. That campaign aimed to conduct airborne and mechanized operations to seize Kyiv, Kharkiv, Odesa, and other major Ukrainian cities to force a change of government in Ukraine. That campaign has culminated. Russian forces continue to make limited advances in some parts of the theater but are very unlikely to be able to seize their objectives in this way. The doctrinally sound Russian response to this situation would be to end this campaign, accept a possibly lengthy operational pause, develop the plan for a new campaign, build up resources for that new campaign, and launch it when the resources and other conditions are ready. The Russian military has not yet adopted this approach. It is instead continuing to feed small collections of reinforcements into an ongoing effort to keep the current campaign alive. We assess that that effort will fail.

. . .

Stalemate will likely be very violent and bloody, especially if it protracts. Stalemate is not armistice or ceasefire. It is a condition in war in which each side conducts offensive operations that do not fundamentally alter the situation. Those operations can be very damaging and cause enormous casualties. The World War I battles of the Somme, Verdun, and Passchendaele were all fought in conditions of stalemate and did not break the stalemate. If the war in Ukraine settles into a stalemate condition Russian forces will continue to bomb and bombard Ukrainian cities, devastating them and killing civilians, even as Ukrainian forces impose losses on Russian attackers and conduct counter-attacks of their own. The Russians could hope to break Ukrainians’ will to continue fighting under such circumstances by demonstrating Kyiv’s inability to expel Russian forces or stop their attacks even if the Russians are demonstrably unable to take Ukraine’s cities. Ukraine’s defeat of the initial Russian campaign may therefore set conditions for a devastating protraction of the conflict and a dangerous new period testing the resolve of Ukraine and the West. Continued and expanded Western support to Ukraine will be vital to seeing Ukraine through that new period.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 19, 2022

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1505326739131613184?s=20&t=LOAv3aA3U-lWBTbKX0jGAQ

Always a good sign when you're fielding random one off prototypes

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Always a good sign when you're fielding random one off prototypes

Didn't the Russians kind of do this when they bounced from Afghanistan? If I remember correctly (what I was told) they were just dropping any mines they had, experimental, still in research, anything and everything.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wrong Theory posted:

Didn't the Russians kind of do this when they bounced from Afghanistan? If I remember correctly (what I was told) they were just dropping any mines they had, experimental, still in research, anything and everything.

I swear at this point they’re probably gonna throw out that one T 14 and it’s gonna get nailed by a javelin or just get over turned on a bridge.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I swear at this point they’re probably gonna throw out that one T 14 and it’s gonna get nailed by a javelin or just get over turned on a bridge.

My money's on "just randomly catches on fire because some mud gets in the turbine air intake."

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

psydude posted:

ISW is declaring the Russian offensive a failure and says they can either dig in and regroup, or be forced to rule over a smoldering pile of rubble if they have the endurance for a war of attrition.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-19

That's a pretty big deal. These aren't Twitter randos saying this. They can obviously still be wrong, but it's a pretty bad sign for Putin.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

EasilyConfused posted:

That's a pretty big deal. These aren't Twitter randos saying this. They can obviously still be wrong, but it's a pretty bad sign for Putin.

Their sources, though, are primarily the Ukraine Ministry of Defense, which is a biased source.

I think they're right, though, that Russia hasn't been able to achieve their initial goals and that if Russia does eventually win the war of attrition (they likely will unless they stop themselves) they'll rule over a pile a rubble.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Their sources, though, are primarily the Ukraine Ministry of Defense, which is a biased source.

I think they're right, though, that Russia hasn't been able to achieve their initial goals and that if Russia does eventually win the war of attrition (they likely will unless they stop themselves) they'll rule over a pile a rubble.

They very well may consider that a feature rather than a bug.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I'm beginning to think that the Russian method of bridging involves filling the channel with sunk armor.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Arrath posted:

I'm beginning to think that the Russian method of bridging involves filling the channel with sunk armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w82CqjaDKmA

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Marshal Prolapse posted:

gonna wind up on cinderblocks and graffitied

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sure, but it's not like they're taking it uncritically. It's just that there isn't much in terms of official statements on battlefield details coming out from the other side.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mlmp08 posted:

This twitter account routinely posts bullshit.

that account, nexta, and euromaidanpr all have zero standards about what they'll put out. That's obviously not to say they're always wrong, but anything from them in particular needs a massive flashing 'disregard until confirmed elsewhere' banner.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
also ilia in particular seems to mostly get stuff pushed through him that kiev independent doesn't want their name on because of presumably some remaining editorial standards

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Russians bridging with armor wrecks is nothing new; t-34 had ”bridging” variants which Were exactly this- drive it into the river and build the bridge on top.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

EasilyConfused posted:

Sure, but it's not like they're taking it uncritically. It's just that there isn't much in terms of official statements on battlefield details coming out from the other side.

Apparently they also reference the releases from the DPR and LPR, but I'm not sure how frequent or detailed those are

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Reiterating the previous posts to keep in mind sources of information and possible bias. That said, there was a paragraph in that blog post that was a little unsettling (and also not unexpected):

The Russian military is increasing its aerial, missile, and artillery bombardment of populated Ukrainian areas as its conventional mechanized advances culminate.[6] Russia announced the use of its Kinzhal hypersonic missile to strike an ammunition depot in Ivano-Frankivsk on March 18.[7] The use of such an expensive, rare, and high-end system to hit an ammunition depot was likely signaling and demonstrating intent and capability to escalate rather than seeking to achieve a concrete military objective. The Kinzhal is a dual-use missile that can carry a nuclear payload, although the one used in Ukraine bore a conventional high-explosive payload.[8] Its use likely signaled Moscow’s willingness to consider using low-yield nuclear weapons in addition to demonstrating the capability to use hypersonic weapons.

Additional update: There's some speculation that Russia's claim of its use of the Kinzhal missile isnt all its cracked up to be.

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 20, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Valtonen posted:

Russians bridging with armor wrecks is nothing new; t-34 had ”bridging” variants which Were exactly this- drive it into the river and build the bridge on top.

...did, did they get to leave?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone else start watching Servant of the People yet? It’s back on Netflix.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
im curious how well the humor translates

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Alan Smithee posted:

im curious how well the humor translates

Some of it translates very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89VI_4KRqKk

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK he’s just been told he’s President and they’re showing reactions from other leaders around the world including people still in power(dubbing over stock footage) and it’s really meta and weird, and of course entirely unintentional.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Valtonen posted:

Oh wow

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Valtonen posted:

That's not a Russia thing that's a total war, fully mobilized economy and churning out as much materiel as you need thing.

Attached US training video on using Sherman tanks as bridge props refers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yu5FBMLXkk&t=1004s for period training video.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Reading Arc Light based on either this, or the GiP news thread’s recommendations. You know, this book is really loving terrifying. I just can’t get some of those descriptions of being at ground zero of nuclear hellfire out of my head. One night I couldn’t sleep.. because of a book! At least the threat of nuclear war isn’t as high now as it used to be in the 80s.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Apart from the obvious high-profile pieces of vaporware that have yet to show up (Su-57, T-14), I'm assuming there's plenty of Russian gear we'd love to get our hands on and tear down for intel, right?

Or is most of this poo poo we've already bought through intermediaries?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Blind Rasputin posted:

Reading Arc Light based on either this, or the GiP news thread’s recommendations. You know, this book is really loving terrifying. I just can’t get some of those descriptions of being at ground zero of nuclear hellfire out of my head. One night I couldn’t sleep.. because of a book! At least the threat of nuclear war isn’t as high now as it used to be in the 80s.

Don't watch the movie 'threads'.

Just...don't.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah, the research Harry did for the book was really well done.

Invasion is like he wrote it on coke. Trashy and silly fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Not to derail so last thing I’ll say about the book, but yeah the author obviously did a ton of research. I, however, don’t imagine generals, when talking, would list off like fifty bases to a person when asked what was damaged. That keeps feeling kind of forced just to show the level of research.