Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

A physician calling themselves doctor outside of a clinical setting is lame as hell.

Ha! I agree with that.

Really, anyone with a doctorate asking people in a casual setting to call them "Dr." is lame.

And I guess college classrooms are pretty casual.

So maybe I agree with the posters above. :shrug:

EDIT:

A sweet and lowkey AITA tax for sniping.

quote:

AITA for taking my cat to the vet on a leash?

I took my well trained cat to the vet yesterday and only had him on a leash instead of in a cage because he hates that.

While I was checking in at the front desk this guy walks in with a dog (also on a leash) and it immediately goes mental at the site of my cat. It's barking and straining on its lead which the guy is struggling to keep a grip on.

My cat is sitting on my feet between the desk and my legs, back arched and fur sticking up but not hissing or growling just kind of frozen. The receptionist is yelling at the guy to get his dog under control or get out while he's yelling at me for being so stupid as to have a cat in public on a leash instead of in a cage.

The vet comes out of the exam room and makes this guy go and wait outside with his dog, checks that the receptionist and myself are ok and then tells me next time I should just bring my cat in a cage instead of on a leash. I told him that was stupid and unfair but he, the receptionist and angry dog guy all seem to think I'm an rear end in a top hat for bringing my pet to the vets office on a leash, am I?

OhAreThey fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Formal titles are for formal settings.

It's literally that simple.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OhAreThey posted:

A sweet and lowkey AITA tax for sniping.

That’s not a risk I’d ever be willing to take with my cat no matter how well trained they are.

It’s pretty dumb on the OPs part.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

That’s not a risk I’d ever be willing to take with my cat no matter how well trained they are.

It’s pretty dumb on the OPs part.

100% agreed. It's not worth it. The OP isn't necessarily wrong, but I do not trust other pet owners enough.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

titles are great because you can see who still believes in the meritocracy. "I spent 10 years EARNING my title. What was it you wasted your last decade doing... teaching public school in underprivileged communities? How embarrassing. Try contributing to society mayhaps???"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

carry on then posted:

titles are great because you can see who still believes in the meritocracy. "I spent 10 years EARNING my title. What was it you wasted your last decade doing... teaching public school in underprivileged communities? How embarrassing. Try contributing to society mayhaps???"

Again, if you're not using a title, then don't use it, I don't care. But if you've decided you're going to be formal, "Dr."'s the way to go with me. Don't like it? Don't be formal, or don't talk to me. Most people are capable of going with the latter if they can't deal with the former.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Again, if you're not using a title, then don't use it, I don't care. But if you've decided you're going to be formal, "Dr."'s the way to go with me. Don't like it? Don't be formal, or don't talk to me. Most people are capable of going with the latter if they can't deal with the former.

Yeah, it's like when students I work with call me "Mrs. LastName". I'm not married, so I'm like "Call me First Name or call me Ms. LastName. But don't call me Mrs. LastName".

I mean, it's not an exact analogy, but it's like...if you're going to add an honorific, at least get it right.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I feel like if someone spends the time studying a field and presumably doing original research and expanding the collective knowledge of the field, they earned the drat title and in an educational or formal setting they are within their rights to not want to be called Mrs, Ms, Miss or Mr and instead be referred to by their title. If that’s hard for you then you might be an rear end in a top hat.

I have earned no such title and will answer to “hey buddy” or “you rear end in a top hat.”

Edit: that doesn’t excuse someone being a jerk about it unless they are a woman or POC at which point They aren’t probably rightfully pissed someone is downplaying their status.

therobit fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 20, 2022

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

therobit posted:

I feel like if someone spends the time studying a field and presumably doing original research and expanding the collective knowledge of the field, they earned the drat title and in an educational or formal setting they are within their rights to not want to be called Mrs, Ms, Miss or Mr and instead be referred to by their title. If that’s hard for you then you might be an rear end in a top hat.

I have earned no such title and will answer to “hey buddy” or “you rear end in a top hat.”

Well, hey, didn't you know that academics just write a big check for the privilege of getting a degree so they can poo poo on public school teachers? While twirling their mustaches and sipping their elitist lattes, no doubt!

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
what is with all the assholes today

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

moonmazed posted:

what is with all the assholes today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sen8Tn8CBA4

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

therobit posted:

Edit: that doesn’t excuse someone being a jerk about it unless they are a woman or POC at which point They aren’t probably rightfully pissed someone is downplaying their status.

Yep, this.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

More actual content since I've contributed to this dumb derail enough.

AITA for saying “How would you know?” when my husband told our families that our unborn baby was fine?

quote:

I found out I was pregnant a month ago and not only was my husband a complete jerk when I told him, he’s also been completely ignoring anything remotely related to the pregnancy/baby.

It was my mother-in-law’s birthday last week and they hosted a party to mark the occasion. When we arrived, only my parents and my sister-in-law’s family were there. My dad asked us how the baby was and my husband immediately replied that the baby was fine. I asked him how he would know. My husband acted like I was joking and I played along as I didn’t want to ruin the party.

They never believed us, though, because my dad and father-in-law both pulled me aside separately to ask me if everything was okay and if my husband had done something. I lied to both of them. They both also asked my husband and I could see that as the day went on he was getting more and more angry at me.

When we got home, he asked me why I had said that and accused me of trying to make him look bad to our families. I was angry so I told him he made himself look bad and he didn’t need me to do that. Our argument ended with him telling me I better never do that again and me telling him I would, which I only said out of anger and not because I actually plan to do it again.

AITA?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Absurd Alhazred posted:

People are conflating someone being a dweeb about their title to demand authority versus someone being a dweeb about somebody else’s title to dismiss a woman/minority as “not a real” whatever and these are entirely different situations

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

8one6 posted:

Get hosed tantrum lady. Lost your (probably well below market rate) childcare because someone brushed the dogs hair.
Gonna take this opportunity to suggest looking up Girl with the Dogs on youtube. Canadian lady who grooms dogs, and cats, and at one point a duck. Very wholesome and nice.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Let him know that there are plenty of old gay men who will gladly be his sugar daddy.
Yeah, he might have a smaller group of men to choose from, but he can give blowjobs! He's got a mouth!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AITA for correcting someone at my wedding?

quote:

So I (F31) and my husband (M32) got married over the weekend. It was a lovely ceremony, but a small issue arose which has led to my new in laws somewhat freezing me out.

I'm a doctor. I still decided to take my husband's surname because I have been excited to share my name with someone I love ever since I was little. We decided to tell all our bridal party to say "cheers to the Johnsons," rather than cheers to "Mr and Dr Johnson," just because it sounded less clunky. They all agreed and did as such.

However, my husband's aunt (who was NOT invited to speak) decided to get up and say a few words. It was slightly annoying, but she was tipsy, so I ignored it and let her go on. However, she ended her speech with "a toast to Mr and Mrs Johnson." To this, I quickly replied, "I'm not a Mrs." She immediately rolled her eyes, and my SIL has reported back that she was calling me snooty and conceited behind my back after the wedding, and several of my other in laws have agreed with her.

AITA for correcting her?

EDIT: just wanted to give some more info. In my country, I will never ever be referred to as Mrs, even in not professional environments, so its very unnatural to hear it like that. I didn't shout out or anything, I said it at a level that she could hear, and the people on my table could as well, not everyone in the whole hall. As well as this, I don't think (and my husband agrees) that I said it maliciously at all, I was simply letting her know that that's not my preferred title.

My husband and I have been together since we were 22, and he was with me all through med school, so he supports me. There has also been some animosity between his family and I, as they have never warmed up to me, despite my best efforts, which is why they may have reacted like this.

Also Johnson is not our surname.

WIBTA to challenge my unfair grade after 'disrespecting' professor's credentials?

quote:

I'm (21F) first-gen Chinese and my name is the ever-so-common pinyin translation, so it's literally google translation or how my Chinese name sounds in English when pronounced.

I've had variations of my name mocked, ridiculed, and butchered since first grade. I stopped trying to correct sub teachers, teachers, and even my neighbors. The most common interaction with strangers is

Them: "how do I say your name? (some butchered variation)?"

Me: "yeah, something like that."

My friends call me by my name correctly or a nickname, but they also had trouble with my name before. My name isn't unique in the sense that it's cute, pretty, or sounds nice. It's spelt weird and difficult to say, it's that kind of 'unique'.

I've been thinking of legally changing my name, but I thought it's best after graduation so I don't have to change all my uni info while taking time to change the name on all legal docs.

I've had this professor for several Chinese classes because I like the way he teaches and I need the classes. I want to be a Chinese translator, but since I immigrated before 1st grade, my English and Chinese is equally bad.

All of his classes are student-active lecture and discussion. This semester, it's a semi-big lecture class (~60 on a good day) and he did row call for introduction zoom. I said my name and he said it back, made a note in his roster and went on. Thought it was cool, but the way he said it next time was different. I awkwardly corrected him and we moved on again. Since then, he said my name wrong every day on the row call.

I just let it go and went on since it's like this every class I had with him. Swear history was repeating itself.

We had a oral presentation due and it was my turn to speak today, so I started off with my name and did the presentation in Chinese. After class, he sent me an email about how he felt disrespected that I did not provide a clear, precise pronunciation of my name. He's disappointed that I don't respect the hard work he put into his credential to proudly display his Doctorate title. And that I made him out to be a fool.

His email was better worded, but it's the gist. He docked points off the pronunciation section and it lowered my presentation grade. I said it wasn't fair and he's not budging on the grade. He's technically right about the pronouncing since that's how everyone says my name since class started, but I don't think that's fair.

WIBTA to just go over his head and challenge the issue? I feel like I'm making big deal out of this trivial problem cause he's a beloved and fair professor.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

NTA, you bet Auntie Dearest would have called them Dr. and Mrs. Johnson if the credentialization were reversed.

quote:

WIBTA to challenge my unfair grade after 'disrespecting' professor's credentials?

If only I believed that Title VI infringements by tenured faculty led to actual consequences in most institutions.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The best doctor story in an iteration of this thread was a woman who got a PhD entirely so her mysoginistic FIL had to put her name first on cards. She used his "but decorum" against him and according to her he nearly had a stroke from anger at having to show her anything that even remotely looks like respect.

Alas I've brought this up a few times but its lost in the deluge of posts.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

People are conflating someone being a dweeb about their title to demand authority versus someone being a dweeb about somebody else’s title to dismiss a woman/minority as “not a real” whatever and these are entirely different situations

Yes, people pretend it's about the former when called out for talking about how they would totally do the latter in the hypothetical situation where they went outside and talked to someone.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I always wonder why these people don't have a crew of people who can toss folks out of the building for stuff like that. You're at your own wedding, if there's any time that you can order your friends to form a goon squad it's then.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

OhAreThey posted:

(For reference, I'm not a doctor. I have a master's in library science which is a joke degree).

hey now! :same:

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What difference does it make. Titles are nonsense, and I would address her by the name she goes by without any honorific.

e: Mrs is just as unnecessary as Dr, if it's not clear.

Black people in academia have a lot of trouble being taken seriously. Many use titles that their colleagues might not because people assume they are not as well educated or capable, and that's one way of reinforcing that they have the degree and the skills. There's no reason to disrespect someone by not addressing them as they introduce themselves - if you want to be stupid and make up a dumb title for yourself, go ahead, just earn it first.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

nashona posted:

hey now! :same:

:hfive:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Defiance Industries posted:

I always wonder why these people don't have a crew of people who can toss folks out of the building for stuff like that. You're at your own wedding, if there's any time that you can order your friends to form a goon squad it's then.

:decorum: poisoning

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

are U in the uk bc ive never heard this one lol

(Probably, because he does not put a period after "Mr" or "Dr" which is how those honorifics are written in British English) :eng101:

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
As someone working around a whole bunch of letter bearing fools it's Bobby to their face, Bobsun to the students and Prof Dugnutt in correspondence.

There's a definite link between the assholes who demand their honorific used all the time and the dudes who treat the students and admin staff like poo poo as well.

And yes, it's always old white men

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
E: way beaten in the idea that women and minorities in medicine and academia often get denied titles they earned while the white men often get granted them despite not earning it.

And your tryhard "lol I dont care about titles so I dont call anyone by their title at all!" appears loving identical to an outside observer as the racists and sexists who either consciously or unconsciously disrespect people by refusing to use a title for them when they otherwise would for a white man.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 20, 2022

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Serephina posted:

Another funny anecdote for context on titles: According to all my medical friends, you are not to refer to the senior guy on a rotation as Dr, as everyone in the room is a MD already. He is to be called Mr, and will correct you on it.

If I remember right in the UK (and possibly Ireland?) it's normal to refer to surgeons as Mister, and they will get pissy if you call them Doctor as that's a lesser position. That usage may be way out of date but it was true at some point.

Dr Hobnob, D.I.C. A.R.C.S.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Back in the middle of my high school years, we got a new principal that was one those people who required everyone to call them Dr. Whatever, no matter if they were student, teacher, or parent. I think they lasted maybe a year before being fired.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

OhAreThey posted:

More actual content since I've contributed to this dumb derail enough.

AITA for saying “How would you know?” when my husband told our families that our unborn baby was fine?

Holy poo poo that's depressing.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
My [32F] boyfriend [40M] is embarrassed buying condoms, and it lead to a fight

quote:

The last few weeks my boyfriend has been refusing to get a hotel and has been insisting if we have sex it has to be car sex. So yesterday he finally booked a hotel for today, and I told him we needed more condoms. I asked him to grab some last night, and he said, "No, I'm never comfortable doing that myself. I want you to go with me." I agreed to, so we went today.

He accidently passed the grocery store we normally get them at, and I said, "That's okay. Target has them." So he pulls into Target's parking lot and angrily says, "I'm not getting them here. I want to buy other stuff when we get condoms so it's not obvious. And Target is too expensive."

So he pulls out, keeps driving until he gets to another grocery store, and then heads to the condom section. I picked up the condoms and tried to hand them to him. He refused to take them. So we're walking through the store with condoms, he's being so nervous and upset about it, and I couldn't help laughing at his reaction. Then he got so angry and started making mean comments to me. Even when we got to the car, he was ranting to me, called me childish, and was accusing me of "drawing attention to us" by laughing in the store.

Even when we got to the hotel, he stayed so angry. Instead of having sex, we fought for 5 hours first. He broke up with me, told me that now that we were broken up he was going to hook up with other women, kept throwing things, lit a bag on fire in the hotel to try to prove some type of nonsensical point, almost punched the hotel TV and the wall, and hit himself in the head. After breaking up with me, he said, "I'm not taking you home. I'm staying here and getting my money's worth out of this hotel. Call your mom to pick you up." So I picked up my phone, but he grabbed it out of my hand and slammed it down.

Eventually he decided he wanted to stay with me, and we did end up having sex after he apologized and after I started feeling better. He was pushing for unprotected sex, but I said, "No, because I could get pregnant this time of the month, and I'm not sure what's really going on with us when you broke up with me earlier today." (He normally says he wants to marry me, but today he tried breaking up. So who knows.)

I guess I don't understand why someone would be so embarrassed and upset about getting condoms? Is there a way to fix that? And was I being childish and wrong for laughing at his reaction? I never laughed before, but I was really tired today (and I have a tendency of finding everything funny when I'm tired).

TL;DR: My bf (40) is embarrassed buying condoms even though he is very sexually experienced. I accidentally laughed at his reaction in the store today. He got angry at me for being "childish" and "calling attention to" us by laughing in the store. So then we went to the hotel and spent 5 hrs fighting because of it.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You seem like the person to ask: How should I handle meeting Dr Mario? What's the protocol there?

I mean, I'm pretty sure the guy doesn't actually have a medical degree but if I point out that he's just a plumber with a stethoscope people might assume I'm being racist. Just kind of smile and nod and don't force the issue?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The buried lede in that story is nuts.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

aardwolf posted:

You seem like the person to ask: How should I handle meeting Dr Mario? What's the protocol there?

I mean, I'm pretty sure the guy doesn't actually have a medical degree but if I point out that he's just a plumber with a stethoscope people might assume I'm being racist. Just kind of smile and nod and don't force the issue?

Practicing medicine without a license is illegal, "Dr." Mario is just an unlicensed pill-pusher.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I grew up at a national laboratory and the general stance there was that new hires took a year or two to learn that everyone else had a PhD too and nobody cared. That was when you could start teaching them useful stuff instead of busywork. Of course if someone was giving a presentation or some Senator was on-site the titles would come back out. They had their place.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

My [32F] boyfriend [40M] is embarrassed buying condoms, and it lead to a fight

The last few weeks my boyfriend has been refusing to get a hotel and has been insisting if we have sex it has to be car sex.

So like your married BF right?

Also just fuckin order them on Amazon you can get a big box with no fuss no muss.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bruceski posted:

I grew up at a national laboratory and the general stance there was that new hires took a year or two to learn that everyone else had a PhD too and nobody cared. That was when you could start teaching them useful stuff instead of busywork. Of course if someone was giving a presentation or some Senator was on-site the titles would come back out. They had their place.

So how long before they stopped calling you "Specimen 8394X"?

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Silly Newbie posted:

Holy poo poo that's depressing.

Especially how she reflexively hid the issues when her father and father-in-law both sensed she was having issues. From the comments the pregnancy was planned, so her husband acting the way he has is doubly concerning and she needs to let other people know before he gets worse.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

(54M) My fiancee (54f) is always tired and constantly avoiding sex.

quote:

So we have been together less than a year and stared out hot and heavy as a Dom, (me) sub,(her) couple. To me it seems like once we decided to get engaged and be a permanent couple our sex life has taken a serious dive. She has put on about 30lbs in 7months, and is just letting her self go to poo poo. WTF?

Starting to Hate my fiance.

quote:

She f(54) m(54) will not initiate sex but always says

Can my (54f) fiance be so selfish, so self centered, or am I (54m) being played?

quote:

We have lived together for a year and she (54f) has not contributed a dime to the household, and manages to spend every dollar she makes Evey week without buying me a single thing or offering anything for anything.

How bad is this ??

quote:

I caught my fiance in a lie. I stopped by her work and dropped a Palm Rose in her car it's a convertible. I went in said hi talked and left. I forgot all about it till we were getting in the car to go out and WHAM the devil took over her tounge. She F(55)reaches in the car pulls out the palm Rose and says,," my boss gave it to me he gave one to all the girls at work he said he went to church and prayed for us." I said M(55) no I don't think so. Know she starts swearing and ready to start a fight and I am telling her I left it there. Got quite for a second....... Then it became my fault for being so insecure. Red flag yes enough to call off an engagement??? Help

all same OP

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Fiancée doesn’t care how I feel and goes out every day

quote:

My fiancée (23F) and I (24M) are (were?) engaged to be married this fall. We’ve been having a string of arguments over petty little things and I got burned out. So I sat her down this past Sunday and told her I wanted some time to think about if I was going to break up with her or not. Cue the tears, the begging, what have you. She cried all day and night Sunday. It was really sad to see. She moved to the guest room and didn’t leave at all except to go to the bathroom. She looked terrible.

Monday morning, it’s like she snapped out of it. She put extra work into her appearance that morning before work and I didn’t see her until ten at night. Rinse and repeat.

Fast forward to Friday, she’s getting dressed to go out again and I stop her and say, “I wish you’d take this break seriously.”

She looked at me and I’ve never seen her look so angry before.

“You told me you don’t know if you want to break up with me. You gave me no reasons or warnings. What did you want me to do, lay around and cry until you take pity on me and decide you will stay with me? gently caress you.” And then she left.

It’s Saturday morning and she still hasn’t returned home. She hasn’t texted me or called me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

Fiancée doesn’t care how I feel and goes out every day

lol owned.