Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
This is just the kind of frustratingly low scoring game the pigs have won every time it came up this season so I can't complain, despite going into the half with a high school score (26-17)

On another subject, who wants a piece of the Tarheels right now? I don't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/ContextFreeCBB/status/1505256120201404419?t=0lPrp0fvvjBfTK8jwOeYtw&s=19

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

tactlessbastard posted:

This is just the kind of frustratingly low scoring game the pigs have won every time it came up this season so I can't complain, despite going into the half with a high school score (26-17)

On another subject, who wants a piece of the Tarheels right now? I don't!

I know if it goes the way of the last game we played them in the tournament I might end up having an aneurysm.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

FakePoet posted:

I know if it goes the way of the last game we played them in the tournament I might end up having an aneurysm.

I'm currently all in on Memphis.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Its impressive how bad Rick Barnes is at the NCAA tourney

"Had Kevin Durant and didn't make the second weekend" is an achievement that might never be topped

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

fast cars loose anus posted:

"Had Kevin Durant and didn't make the second weekend" is an achievement that might never be topped

Dale Brown with Shaq, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, and Stanley Roberts lost in the round of 32. :(

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Lets go the Lady Vols

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
porting this over from the gameday thread churn because i need you all to be forced to know about this impending basketball singularity that may well destroy the sport

elentar posted:

i know it's the NIT but Virginia and North Texas play tomorrow, and not only are they the two slowest tempo teams in the country, they are substantially lower than even the teams immediately above them

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I hate this stupid sport

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

elentar posted:

porting this over from the gameday thread churn because i need you all to be forced to know about this impending basketball singularity that may well destroy the sport

this is must see tv

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

elentar posted:

first team to 30 wins and then the arena is destroyed by a meteor

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1505926351634591746?s=20&t=86y1dLPty8BscjSPCC5f4Q

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

This is a WILD shot chart for both teams

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Poque posted:

which game was this?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

kayakyakr posted:

which game was this?

Texas vs Purdue. Free throw disparity was 46-12 in favor of Purdue (on the right) but the shot chart makes it clear how that happened. I left feeling like Purdue got the short end of calls by maybe 1 or 2, heh

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Who needs mid-range jumpers anyway

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Poque posted:

looks like vibes/feelingsball versus analytics in just one shot chart!

Incidentally, I think Michigan basically won because vibes/feelingsball won out in the midrange - Eli Brooks hit some money midrange shots and I'm not sure the Xavier Simpson hook could be classified as a layup! But Tennessee was money in the midrange too!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Mid-range is very much worthwhile if you have players that can shoot it! In fact, the guys who can do so efficiently off the dribble are typically the best and most dangerous offensive players. That usually means they can already shoot from 3 so you try to run them off the line, and they can score at the rim, so you try to force them to take the mid-range shot. And they can still hit it 45+% of the time? Superstar.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kibner posted:

Mid-range is very much worthwhile if you have players that can shoot it! In fact, the guys who can do so efficiently off the dribble are typically the best and most dangerous offensive players. That usually means they can already shoot from 3 so you try to run them off the line, and they can score at the rim, so you try to force them to take the mid-range shot. And they can still hit it 45+% of the time? Superstar.

Brockington on ISU has that good mid-range game and his shooting is usually the difference if we win or not. Clones don’t have any great big men, so they have to rely on mid-range and out. They’re horribly inconsistent from three though.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Lets go the Lady Vols

Close one tonight. Underwhelming games from Burrell and Key so hopefully they'll make up for it vs. Louisville.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Brockington on ISU has that good mid-range game and his shooting is usually the difference if we win or not. Clones don’t have any great big men, so they have to rely on mid-range and out. They’re horribly inconsistent from three though.

I was laughing during the last Clones game thinking it really seems like they haven't taken a two point shot all half that wasn't in transition or completely undefended inside.

I'm sure that's not actually true but it feels like they only throw the ball inside during half court sets to hope that it frees up someone open beyond the arc.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Mizzou makes Dennis Gates hiring official. I don't like the hire much since his in-game approach seems really similar to Cuonzo Martin aka boring defensive basketball. I'm willing to give him a chance if he shows me he can actually recruit unlike Martin, but I'm not excited about Mizzou basketball or anything :sigh: At least football has some juice

Which brings me to my main question: Have we seen any NIL deals for basketball like we have with football? It seems like hoops would be way better bang for your buck if you're a rich rear end in a top hat looking to bring kids into your alma mater

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I was laughing during the last Clones game thinking it really seems like they haven't taken a two point shot all half that wasn't in transition or completely undefended inside.

I'm sure that's not actually true but it feels like they only throw the ball inside during half court sets to hope that it frees up someone open beyond the arc.

That happens sometimes because most of the team kind of sucks at driving the ball. Brockington and Hunter are the only ones good at it, and Hunter doesn't even like to do it that much. I think Brockington got away from his mid-range game towards the end of the season, but I'm not sure why.

They definitely need to generate closer shots because ISU is normally not a good 3 point shooting team (266th in 3 point %). They just kind of suck overall on offense and need to generate points off turnovers, they're 23rd in the nation in steals. Clones get like 1/4 of their points off of turnovers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I heard an interview of Shaheen Holloway and drat that dude rocks, would have ran through a brick wall for him after hearing him talk for ten minutes.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

kayakyakr posted:

:razorfront: is the 6th most likely team to give Coach K his last loss.

Well well well, looks like it's still on the table!

(it's not on the table, unless Gonzaga inexplicably chooses to roll around in the mud with the pigs)

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

(it's not on the table, unless Gonzaga inexplicably chooses to roll around in the mud with the pigs)

I believe

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Just got offered a ticket to the Sweet 16 in Chicago. Going to see the Cyclones lose in person and then get mocked for it by Kansas fans. Can't wait!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

tactlessbastard posted:

:razorfront: is now the 3rd most likely team to give Coach K his last loss! Improvement!

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Anyone got that gif of the fan (in a vest?) reacting incredulously? Maybe that description is too vague, but I feel like it gets posted here a lot.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Happy Thursday

gently caress Duke

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Milovan Drecun posted:

Anyone got that gif of the fan (in a vest?) reacting incredulously? Maybe that description is too vague, but I feel like it gets posted here a lot.

This Jacksonville Jaguars one?

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Bird in a Blender posted:

This Jacksonville Jaguars one?

Nah it's a college basketball game. This one is very good though, thanks

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Milovan Drecun posted:

Nah it's a college basketball game. This one is very good though, thanks

is it the Northwestern kid Mangles melting down?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

This one with Marshall Henderson at Auburn? It seems a little sped up though.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Ahhh I appreciate the effort to help me, but I think the very reason I can't find it on my own is I can't describe it well enough. He's not dressed in any easily identifiable team gear so I don't even remember a team involved:/

It's not Marshall Henderson (the college basketball yankees.gif imo) and it's not Northwestern kid

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Alas. See y'all in about 8 months...

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kayakyakr posted:

Alas. See y'all in about 8 months...

One of the more fun teams I've seen over the years. I'm sorry, man. :smith:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
See thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Probably Magic posted:

One of the more fun teams I've seen over the years. I'm sorry, man. :smith:

They really became one of my favorite all-time Tech teams. Between the stories behind Arms, Bryson Williams, and Marcos Santos-Silva, and the way they played the game...

I don't think this was a one-time thing. Until Adams retires, this is what you're going to get from us.

I think Obanor, Shannon, and McCullar all probably come back. We probably try to add one more post player that can fill Williams's role, Batcho gets MSS's minutes, and then some combination of Agbo, Nadolny, Isaacs, and KJ Allen take Arms and Warren's minutes. We're already adding 4, but numbers are a mystery these days, so I'm just going to assume that there's room to add another.

e: oof, I post this and TJ Shannon says he's entering the portal but also considering a return to TTU... Dude has NBA athleticism, but doesn't do the things that will keep him in the NBA long.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 25, 2022