Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shame Boy posted:

Nobody said this would be fun is my favorite life hack, thanks

It's so blatant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
capitalism.png: Nobody said this would be fun

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Nothing beats the best lifehack of being born a rich failson

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Shame Boy posted:

Nobody said this would be fun is my favorite life hack, thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-9kPks0IfE

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

skooma512 posted:

capitalism.png: Nobody said this would be fun

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
once again i am saying: whoever controls that bloomberg twitter account knows exactly what they're doing and is trying to bring down the system from the inside by stirring up class consciousness

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

skooma512 posted:

c-spam: Nobody said this would be fun

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Mola Yam posted:

once again i am saying: whoever controls that bloomberg twitter account knows exactly what they're doing and is trying to bring down the system from the inside by stirring up class consciousness
I think they're just doing what makes the number go higher op
getting "ratioed" is engagement gold

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I was convinced that tweet had to be fake. It's not :stare:

The article itself... isn't horrible.

skooma512 posted:

capitalism.png: ➡️ Nobody said this would be fun

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
So they realised that this was a gently caress up:

... which does not help much. So they had already a person hired and paid for other purposes, and now they opened a "position" so that person can teach as well(with no salary for that).

It does seem though that there might be additional compensation for teaching on the side, but their language is intentionally bureaucratic and unclear.

One question is, why this was listedbas open position in the first place

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Epic High Five posted:

Good: more people should eat lentils, esp instead of meat

Bad: 3 meat meals daily being affordable for the middle class going away is going to be what causes a fascist revolution of the petit in this country

It's okay, things will calm down once again once McDonalds releases the McCricket sandwich.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Letmebefrank posted:

... which does not help much. So they had already a person hired and paid for other purposes, and now they opened a "position" so that person can teach as well(with no salary for that).

It does seem though that there might be additional compensation for teaching on the side, but their language is intentionally bureaucratic and unclear.

One question is, why this was listedbas open position in the first place

You answered your own question. It was listed for dumb bureaucratic reasons. Nobody involved with any of this at any level is doing any sort of clear thinking. But don't worry, arrangements such as these are common in academia.

Svensken
May 29, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

But don't worry, arrangements such as these are common in academia.

Best part is how they don't seem to realise that this makes it worse.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It happens like that in the government where I live, first you have to get hired to the "pool" but you can only apply to the pool for an open position. But you won't get it because someone from the pool will already get hired for it by the time you are hired into the pool, BUT if you get hired into the pool before it officially closes you can then apply for the next position, so long as they didn't change any of the qualifications. It's a bit hosed overall but it cuts down somewhat on discrimination and cronyism.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Letmebefrank posted:

no

someone in industry came to them and wanted to partner with their chem department. their salary for whatever work they are doing is paid by their employer, but for the purpose of being taken more seriously by academic grant committees, or being eligible for certain research grants, they need a position at the university. this "position" may or may not actually ever involve teaching, probably not but maybe a single course each semester.

unpaid professorships are not common in academia unless it's an industry partnership and the person is already employed in a PhD position within the industry partner; and "assistant adjunct professor" translates to "this person is vaguely associated with the university", as adjunct professors are already basically just contract lecturers not on the tenure track.

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Mar 20, 2022

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

FFT posted:

and she looks exactly like a modern actress whose name and credits escape me

How has nobody said Natasha Richardson yet

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jazerus posted:

unpaid professorships are not common in academia unless it's an industry partnership and the person is already employed in a PhD position within the industry partner; and "assistant adjunct professor" translates to "this person is vaguely associated with the university", as adjunct professors are already basically just contract lecturers not on the tenure track.

one weird trick to legally avoid paying for journal access

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

alanis morissette

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

FFT posted:

so this is dumb, feel free to ignore

anyway, this is a shot from Barry Lyndon (1975) of Marisa Berenson:

probably in some nerd poo poo but i'm fairly certain i'm not thinking of Felicia Day

That's David Mitchell.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Pretty certain it's a common brushtail possum.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alucard posted:

It's okay, things will calm down once again once McDonalds releases the McCricket sandwich.

?

edit: speaking of BcBonalds:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ekuNNN posted:

Except not really. The branding is not real. There are still McDonald's restaurants all over Russia, too. Only some locations were closed that belonged to specific owners.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Look, asking the American people would never even think of reducing meat consumption for the sake of the climate. Companies don't want to do it either. Don't even suggest that people do that.

Oh, to protect corporate profits? Oh yeah, we can sell them beans on that, for sure.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

FFT posted:

y'all are terrible at this, and i'm saying that as the person initially terrible at this

Lyndsy Fonseca

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Paladinus posted:

Except not really. The branding is not real. There are still McDonald's restaurants all over Russia, too. Only some locations were closed that belonged to specific owners.

Same with Burger King, they can't actually force franchises to close so many just remained open as usual.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Marenghi posted:

Same with Burger King, they can't actually force franchises to close so many just remained open as usual.

Hopefully McDonald’s is willing to activate the kill switch in the McFlurry dispenser software

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Hopefully McDonald’s is willing to activate the kill switch in the McFlurry dispenser software

I thought they did that before the machines are packaged for shipping.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hell yeah on the new topic title

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FFT posted:

so this is dumb, feel free to ignore

anyway, this is a shot from Barry Lyndon (1975) of Marisa Berenson:

probably in some nerd poo poo but i'm fairly certain i'm not thinking of Felicia Day
You're thinking of the big vampire lady OP

Splicer has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Mar 21, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Alucard posted:

Pretty certain it's a common brushtail possum.

I wanted to make that joke but I didn't think anyone else would even remember that, I'm glad I'm not the only one it stuck in the head of :unsmith:

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

ekuNNN posted:

You say 'absolutely nothing they can do' as though McDonalds could not liquidate their corporate assets, form a PMC and invade Russia to enforce their copyright in the McBloodiest way possible.

I'm not saying it's a LIKELY outcome, but this is the capitalism thread and so is not outside the realm of 'things that may have actually been raised in McDonalds board meetings'

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Serak posted:

You say 'absolutely nothing they can do' as though McDonalds could not liquidate their corporate assets, form a PMC and invade Russia to enforce their copyright in the McBloodiest way possible.

I'm not saying it's a LIKELY outcome, but this is the capitalism thread and so is not outside the realm of 'things that may have actually been raised in McDonalds board meetings'

That sounds like they'd have to actually like, do poo poo though, it's much easier to just wait until people stop caring (both inside and outside of russia), maybe bribe a few officials, and business as usual

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
A McDonald's mercenary force would just hire up the exact same kind of guy who fled from Ukraine

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

SpacePig posted:

Look, asking the American people would never even think of reducing meat consumption for the sake of the climate. Companies don't want to do it either. Don't even suggest that people do that.

Oh, to protect corporate profits? Oh yeah, we can sell them beans on that, for sure.

Look the last time Americans might have had to eat less meat the go-to plan was "import hippos and release them in Louisiana, then hunt them for food" so

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Shame Boy posted:

That sounds like they'd have to actually like, do poo poo though, it's much easier to just wait until people stop caring (both inside and outside of russia), maybe bribe a few officials, and business as usual

Much easier, yes. But it would involve 'sitting by when someone ELSE is making money off of my intellectual property and I am not getting my cut': the most unacceptable thing.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Look the last time Americans might have had to eat less meat the go-to plan was "import hippos and release them in Louisiana, then hunt them for food" so

i remember that.

yea man let's hunt these 4,000 pound territorial beasts that can swim, run 30 mph and have teeth the size of bowling pins. what can go wrong?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ekuNNN posted:

?

Every country should do this.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Nastier Nate posted:

i remember that.

yea man let's hunt these 4,000 pound territorial beasts that can swim, run 30 mph and have teeth the size of bowling pins. what can go wrong?

It's not the best idea, but definitely in the top 5. And as someone who lives on the other side of the continent, I hope to see it happen.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

jetz0r posted:

It's not the best idea, but definitely in the top 5. And as someone who lives on the other side of the continent, I hope to see it happen.

They can run and they can swim

The only thing between you and them would be time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

They can run and they can swim

The only thing between you and them would be time

I would simply befriend the bippo