Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Cimber posted:

Don't watch the movie 'threads'.

Just...don't.

I did after watching "The Day After."

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It looks like the Ukrainians are making much heavier use of artillery recently, based upon video footage as well as reporting in news outlets. I'm wondering if this is because Russia's scaled back aircraft sorties in certain areas?

e: It's also possible they've captured a substantial amount as well.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

psydude posted:

It looks like the Ukrainians are making much heavier use of artillery recently, based upon video footage as well as reporting in news outlets. I'm wondering if this is because Russia's scaled back aircraft sorties in certain areas?

e: It's also possible they've captured a substantial amount as well.

Also artillery is limited by range. 11 mile range might feel long enough for a weapon system- to use the very common Soviet 152 akatsya as an example- but in reality you really dont want to risk your batteries unless you know the target is worth it.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

IPCRESS posted:

That's not a Russia thing that's a total war, fully mobilized economy and churning out as much materiel as you need thing.

Attached US training video on using Sherman tanks as bridge props refers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yu5FBMLXkk&t=1004s for period training video.

Oh Yes, Im not saying it was not Good use of resources, on the contrary. Just noting hat the concept of ”throw material at the issue, Because issue needs to be resolved” is a very Soviet solution.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Belarus Reportedly massing troops near the Poland-Belarus-Ukraine tripoint.

https://mobile.twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1505237705466294272

Moscow might have failed to pressure Belarus into invading, but succeeded in pressuring them to act as a fleet-in-being, to tie up troops in the west?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Moscow might have failed to pressure Belarus into invading, but succeeded in pressuring them to act as a fleet-in-being, to tie up troops in the west?

In related news, Belarusian rail workers apparently sabotaged the rail links between Ukraine and Belarus to prevent the transport of Russian equipment.

https://m.dw.com/en/ukraine-belarusian-rail-workers-reportedly-cut-connections-live-updates/a-61188441

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

https://twitter.com/DuffelBlog/status/1504540575004979208

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

What would that accomplish? NATO troops aren't going to be involved in fighting in Ukraine, except for whatever amount of personnel is needed to transfer arms shipments to the Ukrainians. Even if this behavior shifts some NATO troops to the Belarussian border, it's not like those soldiers were helping the Ukrainians anyway.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

What would that accomplish? NATO troops aren't going to be involved in fighting in Ukraine, except for whatever amount of personnel is needed to transfer arms shipments to the Ukrainians. Even if this behavior shifts some NATO troops to the Belarussian border, it's not like those soldiers were helping the Ukrainians anyway.

NATO troops aren't the target - it's more to tie up Ukrainian troops in the north west Ukraine.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

psydude posted:

ISW is declaring the Russian offensive a failure and says they can either dig in and regroup, or be forced to rule over a smoldering pile of rubble if they have the endurance for a war of attrition.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-19

Them starting to use Naval Infantry in ordinary ground combat instead of saving them for sea based operations is interesting, diminishing the chance of a beach invasion and at the same time throwing some of their better troops into the cauldron of city fighting. :catstare:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I guess technically Russia is ending wars if by that they mean the ability for their country to wage them.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

That would make sense. Them actually invading from there would be such a bad idea, though. The first 100km from the border is the Pripet marshes, with like two usable roads. Even a much inferior force could hold that for a long while.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

Them starting to use Naval Infantry in ordinary ground combat instead of saving them for sea based operations is interesting, diminishing the chance of a beach invasion and at the same time throwing some of their better troops into the cauldron of city fighting. :catstare:

I've been wondering if a couple of harpoons have been donated to help thin that herd.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Are they better? Is there any evidence to say they're any better than any of the other shite we've seen? Spetnaz had been built up pre war as being elite and they don't seem to have performed much better than any of the rest of their forces, frankly.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Roblo posted:

Are they better? Is there any evidence to say they're any better than any of the other shite we've seen? Spetnaz had been built up pre war as being elite and they don't seem to have performed much better than any of the rest of their forces, frankly.

On reflection i can't back that up as regards their quality (see possible mutiny some time ago).

But they are a limited speciality resource that is just getting chucked into hard urban combat when there should be more normal units to do that job (not that attacking Odessa from the sea wouldn't end up the same way).

If true i think it shows a certain amount of desperation. :shrug:

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Man it's gotta suck to be in the Russian army right now. Morale's likely to be absurdly low. At least say, in Stalingrad, for as much as that battle sucked they at least were fighting for a decent purpose.
And this thing that keeps popping up where Russia deploys soldiers without telling them they're going into war until they get there isn't new; the USSR did it to some folks in Afghanistan. But to be sent no-notice to a familiar neighbor & be told to gently caress them up & kill their civilians? Holy poo poo.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

On reflection i can't back that up as regards their quality (see possible mutiny some time ago).

But they are a limited speciality resource that is just getting chucked into hard urban combat when there should be more normal units to do that job (not that attacking Odessa from the sea wouldn't end up the same way).

If true i think it shows a certain amount of desperation. :shrug:

I see what you mean, and agreed. I guess they're not exactly doing much just sat off Odesa (apart from tying up some forces defending the place, but they're hardly going to abandon it anyway).

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Torrannor posted:

The working hypothesis is that what this accomplishes is that Belarus gets to look like they are contributing by publicly claiming they are protecting the Russian flank from the perfidious west without having to do more than provide basing and possibly some logistical support.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Maybe they're just waiting to invade until the Syrian cannon fodder arrives en masse?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Reading Arc Light based on either this, or the GiP news thread’s recommendations. You know, this book is really loving terrifying. I just can’t get some of those descriptions of being at ground zero of nuclear hellfire out of my head. One night I couldn’t sleep.. because of a book! At least the threat of nuclear war isn’t as high now as it used to be in the 80s.

“Nuclear War, what’s in it for us?” Was one of my favorites when I was a kid.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
What I remember most about Arc Light was passages like how The Weather Channel had become the most-watched network on television because people were glued to the fallout reports, and one of the character's wives needing to drive past a recently-bombed March AFB and a CHP trooper advising her to "close her A/C vents" as she drove through the area.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
Seeing clips from this war and reading people scoff at how amateurish the Russians are fighting has made me realize that I have no idea wtf infantry are actually supposed to do in combat. All the war movies and video games (lol) taught me nothing. I'm curious if there's a youtube channel or something that breaks this stuff down.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

stranger danger posted:

Seeing clips from this war and reading people scoff at how amateurish the Russians are fighting has made me realize that I have no idea wtf infantry are actually supposed to do in combat. All the war movies and video games (lol) taught me nothing. I'm curious if there's a youtube channel or something that breaks this stuff down.

Nice try

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I'm guessing casualty numbers come from militaries keeping track of their own personnel, so loss reports are inherently biased.

Is there any way of us getting an semi-accurate picture of a warzone?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I'm guessing casualty numbers come from militaries keeping track of their own personnel, so loss reports are inherently biased.

Is there any way of us getting an semi-accurate picture of a warzone?

Probably through open-source imagery, like people have been getting and using :v:

Idk about infantry losses, though. Vehicles explode/catch on fire/leave wrecks, so those can be seen via satellite imagery. There really isn’t an equivalent for infantry, and armies across history have always overestimated how many enemy soldiers they killed.

Still, if the number of dead/injured Russians is even half of what UKR thinks, it’s a lot :stonk:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1505370275273183239?t=8R-Kud8TPtx9IVXM6UtABw&s=19

Always find these threads interesting because if they can't do basic stuff correctly, how do you hope to win bigger stuff

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

Probably through open-source imagery, like people have been getting and using :v:

Idk about infantry losses, though. Vehicles explode/catch on fire/leave wrecks, so those can be seen via satellite imagery. There really isn’t an equivalent for infantry, and armies across history have always overestimated how many enemy soldiers they killed.

Still, if the number of dead/injured Russians is even half of what UKR thinks, it’s a lot :stonk:

Per WaPo, western intelligence places the number of Russian dead at about 7000 with another 20,000 wounded or captured. Using this conservative estimate, that's a little over 14% of their pre-invasion strength in the first 3 weeks of fighting. If the numbers are closer to what the UKA is claiming, then welp.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/20/russia-ukraine-military-offensive/

e: A bit more on the western intelligence piece: I'm going to assume it is coming from SIGINT and HUMINT sources detailing casualty reports from frontline units back to higher command. In that case, it may be fairly accurate; although given Russian military culture, it's also possible they're understating losses in reports up the chain order to cover up leadership failures (especially non-combat attrition like desertion and surrenders).
e2: Assuming we ever get a reliable official account from the Russian government (which is unlikely unless there's a regime change), I'd imagine a large number of casualties will be permanently listed as missing in action. I've seen several videos now of Ukrainians having to dig mass graves for Russian KIA because they have no way of repatriating the bodies.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 20, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1505370275273183239?t=8R-Kud8TPtx9IVXM6UtABw&s=19

Always find these threads interesting because if they can't do basic stuff correctly, how do you hope to win bigger stuff

Well maintained ammo carriers are not nearly as sexy in parades as shiny tanks

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

stranger danger posted:

Here you go: https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/ATP%203-21x8%20FINAL%20WEB%20INCL%20C1.pdf

Skip to Appendix J for a good idea on what is supposed to happen. TTPs will differ depending on the unit and the mission but the fundamental stuff doesn't really change.

Most of the US Army's field manuals are unclassified and available for free online, you can Google them. The other branches I don't think are quite this open (especially the Navy) but the Army doesn't care if you read their doctrine, they're barely following it anyway.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Seriously wondering how useful those Russian marines will be soon. Food supplies on the ship must be low and well…. Being on a ship is exhausting for long periods of time especially if a temporary thing.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

Quantity over quality.

Enemies that suck worse than you do.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

bees everywhere posted:

Here you go: https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/ATP%203-21x8%20FINAL%20WEB%20INCL%20C1.pdf

Skip to Appendix J for a good idea on what is supposed to happen. TTPs will differ depending on the unit and the mission but the fundamental stuff doesn't really change.

Most of the US Army's field manuals are unclassified and available for free online, you can Google them. The other branches I don't think are quite this open (especially the Navy) but the Army doesn't care if you read their doctrine, they're barely following it anyway.

We Americans are notorious for not reading manuals.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1505579325202051074?s=21

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If that thread about the trucks is anything to go on, the Russians probably couldn't leave even if they wanted to.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zelensky owns.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

If that thread about the trucks is anything to go on, the Russians probably couldn't leave even if they wanted to.

:thurman:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Zelensky owns.

:same:

Russia doesn’t deserve to keep any land that’s it taken since 2014 after this. They need to lose everything. To punish them and deter others (looking at you Xinnie the Pooh) in the future.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Since this presumably includes Crimea this could mean that things get quite interesting in about a month when the Russians run out of army everywhere else and the Ukrainians suddenly have to decide whether or not they're going to actively invade Russia.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Looks like Chernobyl is coming up 2/2 on Russia

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Post #14 on that thread is fascinating, I wouldn't have thought you could tow helicopters on the road.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1504920449515466760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Saukkis posted:

Post #14 on that thread is fascinating, I wouldn't have thought you could tow helicopters on the road.

I’ve seen it done here with blackhawks, I assume it was something deep in mothball.

It also wasn’t recently trashed by a defending army :v: