Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Does Lego City Undercover provide six dollars worth of entertainment?

Absolutely, that’s a steal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Honestly thought I'd just play the new Mario Kart tracks a couple times then shelf the game until the next batch, but I'm hooked now.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

An Actual Princess posted:

kirby forgotten land in a week, kirby 64 soon. it's poyo suckin' time.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Excuse me, Kirby inhales not sucks.

:colbert:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Inhale my sausage

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Guilty Gear: The You Testament

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It’s really good. My little kids love it but fun to play for adults too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Iirc I paid 20bux for it back on Wii U and I got more than my money's worth. It is an extremely funny and charming game.

$6 is a goddamn STEAL. Snatch that poo poo up!

Actually, question about that game. Does the Switch version offer anything significant that it didn't have on the Wii U?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

Iirc I paid 20bux for it back on Wii U and I got more than my money's worth. It is an extremely funny and charming game.

$6 is a goddamn STEAL. Snatch that poo poo up!

Actually, question about that game. Does the Switch version offer anything significant that it didn't have on the Wii U?

I haven't played the Switch version but it's gotta have better load times. They were the absolute worst on Wii U.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't played the Switch version but it's gotta have better load times. They were the absolute worst on Wii U.

I didn't get the Wii U version but the load times is what stopped me from playing casually. That's more of a 'me' issue where I might just wanna pop up a game of something while on work calls or on the toilet, but it's certainly a weakness of the switch version.

That said, once it's loaded up, it's quite fun.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

You would think so but in my experience the load times are still atrocious and the performance of the game is about the same too. Pretty disappointing port for such an awesome game.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Triangle Strategy worth a buy?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

sponges posted:

It's a fantastic strategy game, the only thing lacking in it imo is the character advancement system. If you want to break the game over your knee FFT style it doesn't allow for that, but that's okay because the encounters and tactical gameplay are great.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
You can *absolutely* smash the game over your knee with the right characters.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sponges posted:

if you like iso style srpgs and reading then hell yeah it is

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

You don't even have to like reading -- everything is voiced over (with extreme mediocrity for the most part).

I've been digging it and there's more variety to the combat than I was expecting. I keep switching up my play style.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Natural 20 posted:

You can *absolutely* smash the game over your knee with the right characters.

Yeah, but that's because the characters themselves are broken/have broken synergies with each other, not because of character advancement decisions you made.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Arrrthritis posted:

Yeah, but that's because the characters themselves are broken/have broken synergies with each other, not because of character advancement decisions you made.

Oh yeah that's fair I suppose. Unless you count beelining rite of thunderstorms a character advancement decision.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
What was the consensus on Skyward Sword? I'd it enjoyable or zzz

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Zelda. I never beat BotW because I’m a bad gamer so I started a new save file last night. This is the time!

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

LuckyCat posted:

Speaking of Zelda. I never beat BotW because I’m a bad gamer so I started a new save file last night. This is the time!

I'm debating this because I haven't beaten it either (2/4 Divine Beasts), but I have so many upgraded clothes and dolly dress-up is the most important part of any video game for me

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Play all of the traditional Zelda games available on Switch first (except the NES ones, maybe) and if you still want more, go ahead and get Skyward Sword. Otherwise I'd pass.

LuckyCat posted:

I only beat BotW once, on Wii U, and that was after two Divine Beasts. My Switch file will probably last the rest of my life.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I'm debating this because I haven't beaten it either (2/4 Divine Beasts), but I have so many upgraded clothes and dolly dress-up is the most important part of any video game for me

I'm at a flat out zero Divine Beasts, but I did manage to map 100% of the world by climbing a lot of towers, managed to solve 25% of all shrines and assembled the perfect anti-ice armor (it involves sticking a magic feather behind your ear). So I can agree, looking snazzy is more important than anything else, including surviving a lightning storm.

Maybe it's time to finally get back to the first beast and deal with that poo poo

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

sponges posted:

I am surprised how much I like it. There are some big gaps between combat but the story is engaging enough that I don't care. I do wish they had more of the trial fights you can do when you feel like it or to beef up your characters. That is my only complaint so far though.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Thunder Bear posted:

Play all of the traditional Zelda games available on Switch first (except the NES ones, maybe) and if you still want more, go ahead and get Skyward Sword. Otherwise I'd pass.

I only beat BotW once, on Wii U, and that was after two Divine Beasts. My Switch file will probably last the rest of my life.

I actually dislike traditional Zelda which is why Skyward kind of interested me. I've never beaten a Zelda and the one I've liked the most is Twilight Princess & Wind Waker. If it's just more of the same then I'm cool. But if it's different I might be down

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Skyward Sword is a Zelda rear end Zelda, the only difference is the controls being based around motion. It plays without issue on the Switch without the motion controls but the actual gameplay is the same as all console Zelda games from N64 to Wii.

e: Personally I think it is lacking in scope but what is present is pretty deep for a Zelda game.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Aw ok. I wish they'd port Wind Waker HD over. That's the one I'd like to play again

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The remaster made me appreciate Skyward Sword. It's not without its flaws but it's still a very solid experience.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's... ok. If you really like Zelda you'll find something to appreciate. The dungeons are really cool and good. It's a generally pretty game, but there's no overworld exploration bits and the Sky is empty. The combat is not good. The "move your sword!" ended making very formulaic battles that take far too long as you wait for an opening.

It's not long for what it's worth.

I'm glad I'm played it, but frankly I wasn't missing much aside from the cool as heck dungeons.

Murdstone posted:

I am surprised how much I like it. There are some big gaps between combat but the story is engaging enough that I don't care. I do wish they had more of the trial fights you can do when you feel like it or to beef up your characters. That is my only complaint so far though.

I won't do this, but can't you skip the dialogue? That'd make that a non-issue entirely.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
My number one complaint with Zelda games is the exploration so this sounds like the Zelda game for me lmao.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Skyward sword has great dungeons and too much bullshit between the dungeons. They really test your patience at the end. I dropped it without finishing.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

How do you not like traditional Zelda and then go on the cite Twilight Princess as one of your favorites? That’s like as formula as Zelda has ever been lol

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I won't do this, but can't you skip the dialogue? That'd make that a non-issue entirely.
There are some dialogue scenes that are completely voluntary so you can skip all those without losing any of the main story, but I don't. For the mandatory stuff I bet you can skip it or at least blow through them quickly especially if you read fast but I honestly haven't tried. Sometimes in combat I accidentally fast forward through dialogue that pops up at certain points so I know that capability exists.

One of the mechanics of the game is a decision time where everyone votes on the next move, and you have the chance to convince others to do what you want, and to unlock some responses to their questions you have to talk to people, but you could technically just let the game do what it wants (and I will likely do this when I play through it again).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

My number one complaint with Zelda games is the exploration so this sounds like the Zelda game for me lmao.

Frankly, yes?

If you like puzzles and dungeons then go for it.

The combat plays more like a puzzle than actual fighting so there's that too.

The exploration is fairly pathetic and limited. They even give you a dowsing rod to faster find things.

I'd get it cheap/physical and sell it back afterwards. If you're all about saying you've played all the Zelda's like me it's definitely good enough. It's a Zelda, so it's not a bad game, but in a franchise full of hits it definitely is lacking some oomph.

Far worse than WW but I think I liked it better than TP which I found a bit derivative, but it's been years since I played it.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

man nurse posted:

How do you not like traditional Zelda and then go on the cite Twilight Princess as one of your favorites? That’s like as formula as Zelda has ever been lol

I was 13 when I played it and thought turning into a wolf was rad

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Murdstone posted:

There are some dialogue scenes that are completely voluntary so you can skip all those without losing any of the main story, but I don't. For the mandatory stuff I bet you can skip it or at least blow through them quickly especially if you read fast but I honestly haven't tried. Sometimes in combat I accidentally fast forward through dialogue that pops up at certain points so I know that capability exists.

One of the mechanics of the game is a decision time where everyone votes on the next move, and you have the chance to convince others to do what you want, and to unlock some responses to their questions you have to talk to people, but you could technically just let the game do what it wants (and I will likely do this when I play through it again).

That's what I expected. It's just weird that it's such a commonly cited complaint, since you can avoid the plot if you want and just do the fights. Hell you're giving yourself a handicap by just choosing poo poo willy nilly at times.

I'm 100% getting this in April, I just hope I'll have finished something by then.

13 year old you was not wrong. I'll say that as adult, and for a franchise that features so few challenges, SS is actually ok. It requires a little bit of thought to get through, which is more than I can say about WW which is stupid easy, but so charming and exploring is so great that it doesn't matter.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Murdstone posted:

All game I've just wanted to check out cozy snow village but early on I the human felt bad about the plight of my betrothed and then later during a voting sequence I told everybody, "Hey, let's do the thing!" and apparently managed to persuade none of them. Even the neutral party.

I still had fun with the resulting quest but it's an interesting system where you can sometimes be trying and not get the outcome you want. I could see that frustrating some.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Murdstone posted:

Pretty much all of this. Surprised I'm liking it so much, but it's hitting that FFT itch that I haven't gotten in forever and I can't stop playing.

There's so much talking though, but you have options to Auto/FF/Skip it. I just let it run auto so I don't miss out.

e: Hell you can even hold in RB to fast-forward through a battle turns if you're that adhd

Barreft fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 20, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You should play Majora's Mask then which lets you turn into many things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Arrrthritis posted:

I got a builder character moments before a big battle (involving fire traps that I wanted to avoid) and they helped me break the poo poo out of that fight. I would have been slaughtered otherwise because I was outnumbered 3 to 1. I love the unique abilities of every character. It’s hard to choose who to take to each battle!