Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Paladinus posted:

Who the hell cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
The Universe has provided us with a meta-meme. Let us abuse it profanely.

DorkBot3000
Nov 3, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I still thought they owned polygon, did they just work for them or something?

According to wikipedia, Griffin was one of the founders of Polygon and Justin did some work there too. They separated from the company a few years back to focus on their podcasts.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I was astonished recently to discover that Chubby Checker is an actual dude. Like a real-life person with that name, or stage name at least.
It's one of those annoying forums things where you say "oh that's interesting!" and someone says "what?" and you can't really reply without sounding weird.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

I was astonished recently to discover that Chubby Checker is an actual dude.
It's one of those annoying forums things where you say "oh that's interesting!" and someone says "what?" and you can't really reply without sounding weird.

What did you think chubby checker was?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

teen witch posted:

Like, maybe scottish slang for someone with a keen interest in spotting erections? Wouldn't be the weirdest user name.
e: or welsh or kiwi or floridian or something

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Like, maybe scottish slang for someone with a keen interest in spotting erections? Wouldn't be the weirdest user name.

wh
what???

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

teen witch posted:

wh
what???

I mean it kind of makes sense from the rural 'strayan slang I remember from high school. So, well

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

teen witch posted:

wh
what???

In 2013, Checker sued HP over a WebOS application with the same name. The application, before being pulled in September 2012, was used to unscientifically estimate penis size from shoe size

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
lmao

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I thought a chubby checker was someone who only dated fat people, like they're checking them out

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That works too. Hence, you know, the AWOOOGA eye thing.
I don't know it that was american slang in the 50s or whatever, but it seems an irresponsible name for a musician to adopt

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

You’re all weirdos. No McElroy did anything to Neir that Neir didn’t do to itself, and it would not have been some commercial hit of Justin had fished at a different location. It’s a tedious game that some people like and that’s all.

People don’t like Travis because he’s a little different. In the thousands of hours of recordings he’s done all people point out is his picture and like one clip from Among Us.

They occupy an outsized space in your brain, they are just two men. Maybe they don’t live up to your standards but you can just stop talking about them

lol ok travis

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Man the big cock discussion was more interesting than whatever the gently caress this is

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

teen witch posted:

Tree Bucket posted:

18 years ago I paid $10 to post on some forums and it's the best investment I ever made in my life

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i also previously thought that poster checked chubbies, and was content in this

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Nah, they're right

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
You might not know Chubby Checker but you've definitely heard his famous song once in your life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHGXwQeUk7M

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

For all we know, spotting fat people’s erections is how Chubby Checker got his name in the first place and everyone is right

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Thomas "Fats" Waller was a famous and influential jazz pianist, who earned his nickname by being somewhat overweight (although by today's standards only minorly so.)

Antoine Domino Junior was also an overweight jazz pianist, and so took the name Fats Domino as homage to Fats Waller.

Ernest Evans had gone by the nickname Chubby since childhood, and his music reminded people of Fats Domino's so much he took the name Chubby Checker in homage. Since dominos and checkers are both game pieces.

And now you know the rest of the backstory.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Seth Pecksniff posted:

18 years ago I paid $10 to post on some forums and it's the best investment I ever made in my life

Holy poo poo, seconded

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

Thomas "Fats" Waller was a famous and influential jazz pianist, who earned his nickname by being somewhat overweight (although by today's standards only minorly so.)

Antoine Domino Junior was also an overweight jazz pianist, and so took the name Fats Domino as homage to Fats Waller.

Ernest Evans had gone by the nickname Chubby since childhood, and his music reminded people of Fats Domino's so much he took the name Chubby Checker in homage. Since dominos and checkers are both game pieces.

Holy poo poo :aaaaa:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Seth Pecksniff posted:

it does pay good dividends

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Seth Pecksniff posted:

You might not know Chubby Checker but you've definitely heard his famous song once in your life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHGXwQeUk7M

the song so nice he made it twice

https://youtu.be/E1o3cbLYoIY

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i also previously thought that poster checked chubbies, and was content in this

Two things can be true at the same time.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

This just blew my mind.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/berserksouls/status/1505558444677513221?t=PKFBZktdk5pCx9eEkSOkjg&s=19

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mr. Fix It posted:

the song so nice he made it twice

https://youtu.be/E1o3cbLYoIY

Oh he made it at least four times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgFF7CXWf4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNT-sc1ymEM

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

You’re all weirdos. No McElroy did anything to Neir that Neir didn’t do to itself, and it would not have been some commercial hit of Justin had fished at a different location. It’s a tedious game that some people like and that’s all.

People don’t like Travis because he’s a little different. In the thousands of hours of recordings he’s done all people point out is his picture and like one clip from Among Us.

They occupy an outsized space in your brain, they are just two men. Maybe they don’t live up to your standards but you can just stop talking about them
                    /

(i love that video btw)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I regret to inform you that is also Justin McElroy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F9EMbkvLBQ

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

flavor.flv posted:

Who?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

I know I just thought it was a good av/post combo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

Like, maybe scottish slang for someone with a keen interest in spotting erections?

That would be a boaby beholder.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LawfulWaffle posted:

actually I don't care too much about the mcelroys, you care too much about the mcelroys

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
as true today

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I had to look up the number format to see if this was UK or Oz. (UK, right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

as true today

I wish bootleg Simpsons clothing was still a big thing.