Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

I’d like to watch something in the vein of the Errol Flynn Robin Hood. Something adventure-y and fun, preferably with a really good sword fight. To help you refine your recommendations, some of my favorite movies that already fit this vibe are The Court Jester, The Scarlet Pimpernel (both the Leslie Howard version and the 1980s movie with Ian McKellan and Anthony Andrews), and The Magic Sword. (Yeah, the one from MST3k, with Gary Lockwood.) Thanks in advance.

The Black Pirate (1926), The Mark of Zorro (1940), The Princess Bride (1987). Also check this list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swashbuckler_film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I’d like to watch something in the vein of the Errol Flynn Robin Hood. Something adventure-y and fun, preferably with a really good sword fight. To help you refine your recommendations, some of my favorite movies that already fit this vibe are The Court Jester, The Scarlet Pimpernel (both the Leslie Howard version and the 1980s movie with Ian McKellan and Anthony Andrews), and The Magic Sword. (Yeah, the one from MST3k, with Gary Lockwood.) Thanks in advance.

Moonfleet (1955) comes to mind.

e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0niSKfUJ1Q

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Have you seen The Princess Bride?

Edit: shoot, didn’t see replies

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous

Zogo posted:

Moonfleet (1955) comes to mind.

e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0niSKfUJ1Q

Holy poo poo this rules. This one is going straight to the top of my list, thank you!

Thanks also to therattle and Action Jacktion for your recs. Haven’t seen Princess Bride in years; I should fix that!

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie
I'm on a bit of a horror kick recently, and rewatched "1408" a few weeks ago. Really dig the idea of "malicious location that fucks with someone's sanity/perception of reality and time", as opposed to "spoopy ghost haunts place", the idea of a place itself just being some kind of outright malicious reality-twisting eldritch horror is interesting. Was hoping someone knew anything in the same vein. Slow burn is my jam, and preferably something well-received critically -- I don't hate so-bad-its-good campy horror movies, but they're easy to find.

Already seen Session 9, before anyone recommends it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Grave Encounters
As Above, So Below
Stalker, sort of.
Cube, sort of

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Archonet posted:

I'm on a bit of a horror kick recently, and rewatched "1408" a few weeks ago. Really dig the idea of "malicious location that fucks with someone's sanity/perception of reality and time", as opposed to "spoopy ghost haunts place", the idea of a place itself just being some kind of outright malicious reality-twisting eldritch horror is interesting. Was hoping someone knew anything in the same vein. Slow burn is my jam, and preferably something well-received critically -- I don't hate so-bad-its-good campy horror movies, but they're easy to find.

The Lighthouse.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Extremely obvious one, but The Shining

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Archonet posted:

Oculus.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
If you dig found footage at all, the Grave Encounters might also scratch that itch.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The Legend of Hell House, but it is dated and doesn't compare to the novella.

The Haunting (1963 -- don't even think about watching the 1999 remake)

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Archonet posted:

Might not be horror per se, but I posted on here a while back asking for similar films after seeing Coherence.
The Lodge has somewhat mixed reviews but fits the bill of "malicious location that fucks with someone's sanity/perception of reality and time".
The Endless Possibly Resolution too, but I haven't seen that.

Also seconding As Above So Below and thirding Grave Encounters

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Archonet posted:

On the more "scary-to-kids-but-lol-for-adults" end of the spectrum: Event Horizon

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Roumba posted:

On the more "scary-to-kids-but-lol-for-adults" end of the spectrum: Event Horizon

I'll echo that recommendation. Parts of that movie still freak me out, and it's probably the best thing Paul W.S. Anderson has made. A shame that he wanted to release his director's cut on Blu-ray but discovered that the elements had been lost.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Favorite pirate movies not starring Eroll Flynn?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Muppets Treasure Island.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Crimson Pirate

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My "bad" movie group is running out of steam. We've seen everything under the sun. I need a legendary, completely unknown, nacho cheese movie to show for two weeks from now.

Post your favorite awful and or cheesy super obscure movies. Break out the hidden gems!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I assume you've watched six string samurai and Jesus Christ vampire hunter. Always been a fan of "the last Lovecraft" too but that's a little higher production quality but definitely cheese. If you don't mind subtitles troll hunter and dead snow are great

If you don't want them to invite you back, Monsturd

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I had a lot of fun with The Granny at a recent horror festival but good luck finding it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Granny

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

BabyRyoga posted:

My "bad" movie group is running out of steam. We've seen everything under the sun. I need a legendary, completely unknown, nacho cheese movie to show for two weeks from now.

Post your favorite awful and or cheesy super obscure movies. Break out the hidden gems!

Bad Karma (1991)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvENMlLoLTo

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BabyRyoga posted:

Serenity (2019) is a very recent entry onto the "legendarily bad" list.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What does your group consider a bad movie? Just infamous Island of Dr. Moreau disasters, or would any low-budget bizarre and way-over-the-top movie count, even it it's actually a great flick like The Visitor?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Sukiyaki Western Django?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

feedmyleg posted:

What does your group consider a bad movie? Just infamous Island of Dr. Moreau disasters, or would any low-budget bizarre and way-over-the-top movie count, even it it's actually a great flick like The Visitor?

Depends on who is picking, tbh. We've had everything under the sun categorically over the course of 100ish picks during the pandemic doing them every week or two weeks.

There's barely watchable stuff like Manos, Love on a Leash, Ben and Arthur, etc. There's the horrible concept teen movie stuff like Chairman of the Board, Biodome, The Love Guru. The god-complex filmmaker stuff like anything Neil Breen. Oddball shock stuff like Desperate Living, Night Killer
Actual GOOD movies, like Vampire's Kiss, Rad, Breakin I and II. There's movies that have defied every bit of the universe's will to have them not exist, like Food Fight, and movies that should be good but weren't like Santa With Muscles and Uncle Sam. I've even tried showing some weird foreign movies in my more recent personal picks like Tarzaan the Wonder Car, Animal World, and Who Killed Captain Alex + Bad Black. It's basically a grab bag of will we have fun, will we need alcohol, or will we have a bad taste in our mouths for a few days.

I think we tend to prefer movies that will in some way be entertaining more than anything. I think one of my own least favorites is Manos, for sheer unwatchability.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Look for anything from Cannon Films. If it is an action movie, you've scored.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 19, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mitchell

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

BabyRyoga posted:

Depends on who is picking, tbh. We've had everything under the sun categorically over the course of 100ish picks during the pandemic doing them every week or two weeks.

There's barely watchable stuff like Manos, Love on a Leash, Ben and Arthur, etc. There's the horrible concept teen movie stuff like Chairman of the Board, Biodome, The Love Guru. The god-complex filmmaker stuff like anything Neil Breen. Oddball shock stuff like Desperate Living, Night Killer
Actual GOOD movies, like Vampire's Kiss, Rad, Breakin I and II. There's movies that have defied every bit of the universe's will to have them not exist, like Food Fight, and movies that should be good but weren't like Santa With Muscles and Uncle Sam. I've even tried showing some weird foreign movies in my more recent personal picks like Tarzaan the Wonder Car, Animal World, and Who Killed Captain Alex + Bad Black. It's basically a grab bag of will we have fun, will we need alcohol, or will we have a bad taste in our mouths for a few days.

I think we tend to prefer movies that will in some way be entertaining more than anything. I think one of my own least favorites is Manos, for sheer unwatchability.

We watched Glass Man on Prime a few weeks ago which has the quality of a GCSE media studies project. But somewhere around the half way point it managed to charm us and I'll go as far as saying they even tied the awkward low budget feel into the themes of the film by the end.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
D.E.B.S.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Alien Factor

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just watched Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer again.
Are there any other good asian films in this style, comedic and over the top martial arts?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Drunken Master 1 and 2.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

happyhippy posted:

Are there any other good asian films in this style, comedic and over the top martial arts?

Not quite the same thing, but you might enjoy some of Sammo Hung's filmography. Pedicab Driver is the first one that comes to mind for having cartoonish frenzies of over-amped physics and physical gags.

i.e. the always finish swallowing before entering the brawl PSA here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSSp7jdtNJw&t=28s

They're definitely not as comedically refined as Stephen Chow's masterworks, though, so calibrate yourself appropriately.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Those two are fairly representative of Stephen Chow's style. You might check out his other works, though they don't all have martial arts.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Those two are fairly representative of Stephen Chow's style. You might check out his other works, though they don't all have martial arts.

Yeah, this. I’d specifically try God of Cookery next.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Looking for more European crime/political thrillers that I haven't seen yet. The Long Good Friday, Day of the Jackal, Z, The Battle of Algiers were all really good. Le Cercle Rouge not bad, did not dig State of Siege or Get Carter as much. What am I missing? Any newer examples of this genre that still have the same "feel" to them?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for more European crime/political thrillers that I haven't seen yet. The Long Good Friday, Day of the Jackal, Z, The Battle of Algiers were all really good. Le Cercle Rouge not bad, did not dig State of Siege or Get Carter as much. What am I missing? Any newer examples of this genre that still have the same "feel" to them?

not new but I assume you've seen the French Connection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

If you haven't seen In Bruges, then see it.