Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I just turn off my house's water when I do anything with water. I just assume valves don't work, anymore. The shutoff works. I use the string trimmer to make sure the water main box is free an clear, every time I mow. My wife and I both know exactly where the big adjustable wrench with the extended handle is kept. I bet either of us could turn off the water in under 20 seconds, from a standing start anywhere in the house.

But that does remind me, I need to remind myself and her where the main gas shutoff is and how to use it. You don't turn that off unless you really have to, here, because if you turn it off, only PG&E can turn it back on (I think that has to do with the need to purge the lines in the house, or something to do with earthquakes, I forget). But also in my experience manufacturers have to actually meet some stringent specs for gas-rated valves, they tend not to have gaskets rot out and just fail-open over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah that reminds me,

Leperflesh posted:

Part 2

fffuuuukkkkk this shitttttt

Part 3

gently caress it, good enough

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

gently caress it, good enough
A coat of paint and sealant, and nobody will be able to tell it isn't brand-new 2020ish construction by trained professionals! :haw:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sundae posted:

A coat of paint and sealant, and nobody will be able to tell it isn't brand-new 2020ish construction by trained professionals! :haw:

Yup. I'm pre-priming all sides of the bits, and I'm gonna shave down the long piece so it more closely meets the bits I've made. Then glue, screw, and goo. Then paint.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I got my gutters resealed, cleaned and re-hung (they were not tilted correctly, so I'm not really sure what that's called). They wanted to do wednesday, when it was going to snow. They called me up on tuesday and said "we're on our way, is that ok? It needs to be 50 degrees or over for 24 hours to cure so we're doing it today instead". It was literally 51 degrees at the time so there's no way there was 50 degrees for 24 hours before it started raining, then snowing.

So I checked today, and where before there would be literally nothing coming out of the ?downspout/vertical gutter?, now it's flowing fine. I'm getting drips out of the cracks between bits of the gutter still, though. It used to be super bad and now it's just 'I can see a drip every now and then'. it's definitely coming out of where pieces of gutter join together, and where screws are visible.

Is this a bad job, or par for the course? am I to expect a bit of gutter drippage?

They did say that the gutters were 4 inches instead of 5, and sort of end of life. The inspector guy said that, and the resealing people he sent said something similar. The house is about 20 years old. The resealing people also said that due to how old they were, the sealing wouldn't really last. But like, it's 2 days later and the gutters have water dripping out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

redreader posted:

Is this a bad job, or par for the course? am I to expect a bit of gutter drippage?

Yes, they did a bad job. Probably due to the sealant they used not bonding properly because:

redreader posted:

It needs to be 50 degrees or over for 24 hours to cure so we're doing it today instead". It was literally 51 degrees at the time so there's no way there was 50 degrees for 24 hours before it started raining, then snowing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

. You don't turn that off unless you really have to, here, because if you turn it off, only PG&E can turn it back on (I think that has to do with the need to purge the lines in the house, or something to do with earthquakes, I forget). But also in my experience manufacturers have to actually meet some stringent specs for gas-rated valves, they tend not to have gaskets rot out and just fail-open over time.

I think this is because they need to physically validate all pilot lights are lit to prevent a fight club blow out event

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The gutter people mentioned a warranty, but, I didn't even get a receipt. What next? Call and complain? I hate 'speaking to the manager' kind of stuff. I found them on Angie's list.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

redreader posted:

The gutter people mentioned a warranty, but, I didn't even get a receipt. What next? Call and complain? I hate 'speaking to the manager' kind of stuff. I found them on Angie's list.

You didn't get a receipt? How did you pay them?

Just call them back and tell them things are looking better but you're still got a few issues with the work that need to be addressed. This is totally normal/typical.

And tell them you need an invoice for the work that shows you have paid.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
"Hey there's some drips" doesn't seem like being a complainer. They can't fix it if they don't know it's dripping

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e
Sanity check (in Oakland, CA if it matters): contractor is installing an ADU, in the city inspection the inspector said they need to bring the valves on the main up to code where the new plumbing ties in. Contractor is trying to claim that this should be a change order since it's on the existing main. Am I off-base in thinking that it's not my problem that they didn't realize that the (exposed/visible when they came to do the estimate) water main valves needed to be upgraded? Contract just has a single line item for "Plumbing to ADU".

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Fun story, if you use the water main shutoff it has the potential to knock loose debris from the valve which then deposits in faucet aerators and other places all over your home. That will then block flow in the faucets. Need to disassemble the aerator / faucet head which usually is simple, but can be a pain in the dick, to hopefully dislodge the debris. Ask me how I know! This was in a modern building btw.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Welp, our galvanized pipes finally decided to give up the ghost, we've been expecting this to happen eventually. Quote is $9k for replacing them all plus running some extra lines out to the deck so we can move our washer/dryer outside.

It would be an extra $3k plus drywall costs to replace the drops, but the plumber said that he doesn't recommend it, the current pipe is doing fine, not leaking from the top, etc. So they would just be cutting the pipes off under the house and replacing the galvanized pipe from there out to the septic. Does that sound right? I'd be happy to spring for replacing every inch of it but he really didn't seem to think we needed to. Thoughts?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

moana posted:

Welp, our galvanized pipes finally decided to give up the ghost, we've been expecting this to happen eventually. Quote is $9k for replacing them all plus running some extra lines out to the deck so we can move our washer/dryer outside.

It would be an extra $3k plus drywall costs to replace the drops, but the plumber said that he doesn't recommend it, the current pipe is doing fine, not leaking from the top, etc. So they would just be cutting the pipes off under the house and replacing the galvanized pipe from there out to the septic. Does that sound right? I'd be happy to spring for replacing every inch of it but he really didn't seem to think we needed to. Thoughts?

Honestly those are two discrete different jobs. Same crew (plus drywall for the second one) but still from what you describe it's reasonable to stop there. So if it's still good above the floor run it until it's not.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Motronic posted:

Honestly those are two discrete different jobs. Same crew (plus drywall for the second one) but still from what you describe it's reasonable to stop there. So if it's still good above the floor run it until it's not.
:glomp: Thank you, you're the best!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That is exactly what was done to my house, by a previous owner. All the pipe in the crawlspace is copper, but there's a place where it runs through concrete for about a foot between the garage and the house, and that is still galvanized; plus the drops below the bathroom sinks and the shower and bathtub are still galvanized. Then it's back to copper for the bathtub. The kitchen sink is all-copper, someone replaced it right through the floor at some point.

I believe they should use dielectric joins everywhere the copper joins the galv, or that will become a source-point of lots of corrosion. Or maybe you're doing PEX or something, in which case, nevermind.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

But that does remind me, I need to remind myself and her where the main gas shutoff is and how to use it. You don't turn that off unless you really have to, here, because if you turn it off, only PG&E can turn it back on (I think that has to do with the need to purge the lines in the house, or something to do with earthquakes, I forget). But also in my experience manufacturers have to actually meet some stringent specs for gas-rated valves, they tend not to have gaskets rot out and just fail-open over time.

My 60's era gas shutoff valve was completely rusted in place. The gas company had to come out and find the street shutoff (which was buried and was inaccessible from the top) before they could replace it.

I'm glad I had it done (for free!), because using it was necessary to have the hvac and water heater replaced (which had similarly old non-functional gas valves)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Fun story, if you use the water main shutoff it has the potential to knock loose debris from the valve which then deposits in faucet aerators and other places all over your home. That will then block flow in the faucets. Need to disassemble the aerator / faucet head which usually is simple, but can be a pain in the dick, to hopefully dislodge the debris. Ask me how I know! This was in a modern building btw.

one of the previous owner installed modern fixtures with no aerator, laminar flow things and it makes me so happy

i loving hate aerators

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Any recommendations on knee pads for floor work? It seems like there are about a thousand different options out there any more - which is a good thing! - but I really don't have any idea where to start on what is going to be comfortable for a hard floor.

I know some are angled for roofing work or whatever but I'm pretty sure I don't want that.

I'm overthinking it, surely; just curious if anyone here has used a bunch of different types and settled on a favorite.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Leviton or Lutron for smart switches? A few are 3-ways

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Omne posted:

Depends on what you're trying to do. All of mine are honeywell. Any of them will support 3 way. You may consider Inovelli as well. Lots of people in the home automation thread have them and like them.

Some support additional things like setting scenes and/or using the physical switch for something different than what its wired to. Some of them will have options where you can get a ton of extra buttons for setting scenes, etc.

I'm mostly talking about zwave stuff here. Your particular "smart" ecosystem may have other considerations or features.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zarin posted:

knee pads

I went through a couple cheap pairs from HD (Husky? brand maybe) before I picked up my current set which I'm mostly happy with: https://nocry.com/product/gel-knee-pads-for-work/

The straps on one of them has gotten a bit deformed where it goes behind my knee which is a bit annoying and I don't really see these lasting for years. I would recommend these for occasional/light use, and would probably try to find something marketed to pros if you will use them more than that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zarin posted:

Any recommendations on knee pads for floor work? It seems like there are about a thousand different options out there any more - which is a good thing! - but I really don't have any idea where to start on what is going to be comfortable for a hard floor.

I know some are angled for roofing work or whatever but I'm pretty sure I don't want that.

I'm overthinking it, surely; just curious if anyone here has used a bunch of different types and settled on a favorite.

I bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0140V9LWC about six years ago before doing some tile work, and they have paid themselves off about 100x over since then. Super comfy and durable, I throw them on anytime I'm gonna be working on the ground.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

Depends on what you're trying to do. All of mine are honeywell. Any of them will support 3 way. You may consider Inovelli as well. Lots of people in the home automation thread have them and like them.

Some support additional things like setting scenes and/or using the physical switch for something different than what its wired to. Some of them will have options where you can get a ton of extra buttons for setting scenes, etc.

I'm mostly talking about zwave stuff here. Your particular "smart" ecosystem may have other considerations or features.

Pretty much just to use voice control or turn on/off lights from afar. The builder included two Leviton 1st gen decora switches, and the lights for that switch no longer turn on; neighborhood consensus is that the switches die and need to be replaced with 2nd gen or another brand.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Omne posted:

Iirc Leviton is all WiFi in the switch itself and Lutron Caseta is their own several-generations old magic with a gateway to other automation to modernize it. If you're fine with that second thing, day to day is going to be much more reliable.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sirotan posted:

I went through a couple cheap pairs from HD (Husky? brand maybe) before I picked up my current set which I'm mostly happy with: https://nocry.com/product/gel-knee-pads-for-work/

The straps on one of them has gotten a bit deformed where it goes behind my knee which is a bit annoying and I don't really see these lasting for years. I would recommend these for occasional/light use, and would probably try to find something marketed to pros if you will use them more than that.

Enos Cabell posted:

I bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0140V9LWC about six years ago before doing some tile work, and they have paid themselves off about 100x over since then. Super comfy and durable, I throw them on anytime I'm gonna be working on the ground.

Nice, thanks! These both look good, although while the second ones are more than I had intended to pay, it looks like it might do a better job of keeping the thigh-strap in place. That's always been my eternal struggle with knee pads is the thigh strap sliding down into the back of the knee.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zarin posted:

Nice, thanks! These both look good, although while the second ones are more than I had intended to pay, it looks like it might do a better job of keeping the thigh-strap in place. That's always been my eternal struggle with knee pads is the thigh strap sliding down into the back of the knee.

Yeah, the strap sliding was always the worst part of cheap kneepads. I've worn those for 8 hours solid with no trouble.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Omne posted:

I have no idea how the Lutrons are. Do you know if the wiring has the switches then the load on 3ways? If they are switches with the load in between then the Leviton models I’m familiar with (DZ6) do not support those configurations. I like their action and configurability more though.

The Honeywell/GE/Jasco/Inovellis do support every N-way scenario I’ve seen.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lutron has been on the high end of home automation for like 20 years now, predating Phillips hue

Never heard of the other brand

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I don't know if this has been asked, but I'm looking for information regarding high velocity, small duct AC systems. I live in an old home that never had AC installed and just has a boiler system, and we had a contractor come over to give an estimate. He mentioned that having doors closed would ruin the efficiency of the system since it has 1 central return. How much does that affect efficiency? I want to minimize how much the house gets torn apart and if there are other options I'd love to hear them!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have a few lutron caseta switches. They've been rock solid and the app is easy to setup and forget about it. Works well with Google home.

Their 3 way switch solution is one real switch and one wireless remote. It's a little weird if you have an existing 3 way install, but it's great if you would like a 3 way somewhere you don't have one.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I don't know if this has been asked, but I'm looking for information regarding high velocity, small duct AC systems. I live in an old home that never had AC installed and just has a boiler system, and we had a contractor come over to give an estimate. He mentioned that having doors closed would ruin the efficiency of the system since it has 1 central return. How much does that affect efficiency? I want to minimize how much the house gets torn apart and if there are other options I'd love to hear them!

Is ductless an option for you? The high velocity systems are not widely used, so it's very possible there's only one contractor that works with them anywhere near you.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hadlock posted:

Lutron has been on the high end of home automation for like 20 years now, predating Phillips hue

Never heard of the other brand

Leviton? It’s a very legit company, not sure about their automation offerings but they are 100+ years old which is cool and they also invented the Caseta wall switch shape.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

devicenull posted:

Is ductless an option for you? The high velocity systems are not widely used, so it's very possible there's only one contractor that works with them anywhere near you.

Ductless wouldn't really work for our home unfortunately. My kitchen gets pretty hot and there's no where to put a blower because the windows take up all the wall space. I live in a metro area so there's actually a large number of contractors who do high velocity systems. I might just need to get one or two more in to get a better idea of what can be done.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I have 30+ of the Gen 2 Decora Smart switches and I can’t recommend them. The physical switches actually crash. It’s mind blowing. I should post a video.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I'm about to buy my first house (passed appraisal a few days ago so should be all set to actually happen) and would like to replace the carpet in a few of the rooms before I move in. Any tips for this? Should I just go Home Depot/Lowes or use a more dedicated carpet place? Costco has carpeting but they just send you to Shaw. I'd rather pay to have the installation done.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

dxt posted:

I'm about to buy my first house (passed appraisal a few days ago so should be all set to actually happen) and would like to replace the carpet in a few of the rooms before I move in. Any tips for this? Should I just go Home Depot/Lowes or use a more dedicated carpet place? Costco has carpeting but they just send you to Shaw. I'd rather pay to have the installation done.

I had a professional company do the installation, so I can't speak to your local Lowes Depot quality, but you can save yourself a few bills by ripping it out yourself. Super easy and really fun, and you can also fix any squeaks in the floor once it's out(I didn't do this cause I thought the installers would :cry:). Get an ice scraper, like one on a 5' pole, and use it like a little plow to get the underlayment out, it takes like 75% of the staples with it.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
My experience with using Lowe's for flooring is they'll shop it out to the lowest bidder and there's absolutely no telling what you'll get but you can be almost certain it won't be very good.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it's not like Home Depot and Lowe's have a team of specialists doing their work. They have a pool of local people that trade profit for having jobs lined up for them at the cost of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I went to Menards, asked the manager for info sheets from good installers, hired one and bought the flooring from there. Total cost was 2500 compared to 15000 the flooring store wanted to install 1200 sq ft of sheet linoleum in my basement plus carpeting the stairs. They did a perfect job. It was a 50 year old married couple that had been installing since sheet vinyl was in style. It owns as a maintenance free floor. I got the fake wood floor style.