Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I went with a build that first took +bridge command on Quebec and swap.avi ingredients on Veracruz and then 95% of the turns were just "bridge > supplies" over and over. Cooking a fat recipe with the food to recover stamina, wood to recover the damage from the supplies, and then the card with the "1 command > repair 1 damage" to turn extra command into repair if the boat took too many hits.

After that, every two turns it was basically a full reset of the crew, and a full command clear of the cards, which sped up everything else. No spending actions to find ports and waste money on healing.

Also bought the bonus engine halfway through (2 command > 2 move) and that card was superb. It was basically "2 command > take another action" since the movement was enough to get around most of the time. I probably gained 30 extra actions throughout the campaign with that card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
In other news, Frosthaven will be $250 MSRP because it's a colossus of a game:

Crowdfunding was $160 for the whole thing. Sorry to the Kickstarter haters :smuggo:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 20, 2022

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Kickstarter was $160 for the whole thing. Sorry to the Kickstarter haters :smuggo:

That’s fine, all the money I saved from not buying poo poo-rear end KS games more than covers the difference.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You're a very unique snowflake*, congratulations on being Cephalofair Games only backer.

*insufferable poo poo

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bottom Liner posted:

You're a very unique snowflake*, congratulations on being Cephalofair Games only backer.

*insufferable poo poo

plz do not post the PRADA SLUT 2.0 expansion errata before it is announced tia

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Next thing you know prada slut's gonna start posting pics revealing they bought middara, a game only lame idiots will buy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

Crowdfunding was $160 for the whole thing. Sorry to the Kickstarter haters :smuggo:

I'm not a Kickstarter hater who lost $90, I'm a Foohaven hater who saved $250.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'd much rather wait for Frosthaven Digital like half a decade from now. Even leaving aside the price, just the thought of organizing, pulling and storing all the stuff in that absurdly big box makes me shudder.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What happened with Broken Token after all the allegations came to light? As that was a semi-big part of the Frosthaven campaign, and I can't remember seeing any news about them post every man and his dog cutting ties with the company.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Infinitum posted:

What happened with Broken Token after all the allegations came to light? As that was a semi-big part of the Frosthaven campaign, and I can't remember seeing any news about them post every man and his dog cutting ties with the company.

They're still going. Greg Spence, the founder, stepped down as CEO in September but he probably still owns the company. He modified his position to Ashley Taylor's allegations from "never happened" to admitting an "improper but consensual relationship" while still denying he ever threatened her.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

The only thing of interest I saw was on their website blog. There is only one post that came after the allegations where they talk about making an unlicensed version of the Frosthaven insert. Of course, they obviously don't mention why all of a sudden they are making a non-licensed insert instead of a licensed one. Feels like that might be some pertinent information, don't you think?

Other than that, as far as I can tell, nothing further changed. Their website is still up, and they have recent reviews from purchases. I'm going to assume that everyone who still buys their products simply have not heard of the controversy, because the alternative is simply too horrible to contemplate. The company is are probably just limping along at a much smaller capacity since they obviously fired a lot of employees due to this contraction of demand.

The important thing everyone can do is to make sure that people have heard. If you see someone with TBT insert, ask if they heard. There's no need to pass judgement or blame; they probably just haven't heard or bought it before they heard. If you have and use a TBT insert, I feel you are allowed to keep using them; there's little to be gained by destroying existing inserts, unless you wish to do so because it's your property. If a friend comments on it your TBT insert, tell them about the accusations. No need for the details, just say something like "I should say that there have been credible allegations of sexual assault against the owner, so for that reason I do not intend to support the company in the future."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah to deny and then walk it back with a "Well actually" is pretty much tell your story walking
gently caress em

---------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFBumEqTbI0

Part 2 of the Lockdown playthrough dropped. I'm not going to spoil anything, but both parts are an amazing watch.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Jedit posted:

I'm not a Kickstarter hater who lost $90, I'm a Foohaven hater who saved $250.
The biggest argument against Frosthaven for me is having played Gloomhaven.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking around, Cepholophair has 30% discount off MSRP and was as high as 40% off. So as long as you aren't FOMO or they do MAP shenanigans you are looking at $175-$150 which seems VERY resaonable compared to some of the KS All-In dreck at even higher prices.

I am waiting for a 2nd printing myself because I know there will be errors in 1st printing, plus I want the book version so hopefully there will be news on that once they hit print on the base stuff.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

djfooboo posted:

am waiting for a 2nd printing myself because I know there will be errors in 1st printing, plus I want the book version so hopefully there will be news on that once they hit print on the base stuff.
Oh goodness I hope not. We worked so hard to stamp them out.

I guarantee there's nothing as bad as 1st printing (or even current printing) Gloomhaven. At least in the stuff we saw. Who knows what'll happen at the factory.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I'm not really sure why people are hating on frosthaven, did I miss the memo or something? I played and enjoyed gloomhaven, and JotL has been heavily recommended in this thread in the past.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Azran posted:

Even leaving aside the price, just the thought of organizing, pulling and storing all the stuff in that absurdly big box makes me shudder.

It’s this. JotL was a turning point for a lot of folks realizing that form factor was way better and the original style is just so overwhelming after a while. FH doubles down on all of that fiddliness so a lot of folks don’t want to deal with it, despite still really liking the system itself (including myself).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

armorer posted:

I'm not really sure why people are hating on frosthaven, did I miss the memo or something? I played and enjoyed gloomhaven, and JotL has been heavily recommended in this thread in the past.

I know a bunch of people (including myself) who dumped a ton of time and effort into Gloomhaven and aren't really relishing the idea of spending a year of weekly gaming nights playing 1 game again, especially for the price tag.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It’s okay, Too Many Bones is the better game anyway.

Infinitum posted:

Frosthaven is still doing an insert, just with I think LaserOx instead. There was a Kickstarter update about it awhile back.

MikeCrotch posted:

I know a bunch of people (including myself) who dumped a ton of time and effort into Gloomhaven and aren't really relishing the idea of spending a year of weekly gaming nights playing 1 game again, especially for the price tag.

According to my stats, I finished Gloomhaven in 58 hours. Assuming Frosthaven is about 30% longer, that’s 75 hours of game. If you did a weekly game night it would probably be slightly over a year to clear.

That’s about the length of a Kingdom Death campaign, but Frosthaven is once-playable and $150 cheaper. Finishing it nets about $2 an hour if you backed, $3.30 if you didn’t.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 20, 2022

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I have JotL and it was fun but I didn't find it had enough variety to keep playing all the way through, I'm sure that Frosthaven will be great but unless it seriously changes something in that formula I just can't justify owning it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I don’t want to play a single game with half an hour to an hour of setup every week again sorry

It’s ‘good’ but it’s not good enough for that

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Azran posted:

I'd much rather wait for Frosthaven Digital like half a decade from now. Even leaving aside the price, just the thought of organizing, pulling and storing all the stuff in that absurdly big box makes me shudder.

But that's the most fun part about buying a new boardgame!

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

armorer posted:

I'll still recommend JotL for anyone curious about the Gloomhaven experience

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
So it seems like burnout is the predominant reason. That's fair. I have a bunch of 3d printed accessories and some extra organizational bins, so it never took me more than 10 minutes to set up for Gloomhaven with those. I'm looking forward to Frosthaven, but it's going to sit on my shelf for a long time before I play it. In my case the issue is that I had no regular board game night for most of the pandemic, but I acquired other legacy games in that time, so I just have way too much of a backlog.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The year I spent playing gloomhaven was one of the best consistent memories I have from the Before Pandemic time and in theory I'd love to spend another year doing the same thing. Someday. Probably not soon.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Orange DeviI posted:

I don’t want to play a single game with half an hour to an hour of setup every week again sorry

It’s ‘good’ but it’s not good enough for that

I just left it set up in a space. But I also finished it in like a week and a half.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gloomhaven is one of the best games I’ll never play again. I’ve never been so burned out on a single thing. It’s just too much. It’s like playing a videogame but having to do all to computational minutiae by hand. Some people love that and I did for a while but I’m not ready for more. Don’t know if I’ll ever be.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I should add that Gloomhaven solo while enjoyable was brutal. Such a brain intensive game to run two handed. I found that Arkham Horror LCG scratched a lot of the same coop campaign itch for me in a much less onerous package.

Gloomhaven & co are one of those families of games that I can appreciate the genius and craft of, but don't actually really want to *play*.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

We played a year straight of Gloomhaven before Covid hit and the question when we finished the initial campaign was whether I'd bought the expansion yet (I have).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
my irl gloomhaven experience was basically sabotaged by one of the players playing it like a roleplaying game instead of a strategy game - she would deliberately avoid fights, stealth past enemies to get treasure/gold, and just made really bad/nonsense tactical decisions constantly. she was also my roommate and was going through some very bad personal stuff at the time so "just don't play with her" wasn't really a viable option either. after a dozen or so sessions of that i quietly killed the game.

i've been enjoying the digital implementation a lot but it's hard to say if that's because i'm playing exclusively with likeminded people or the fact that it's automated.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

FirstAidKite posted:

Next thing you know prada slut's gonna start posting pics revealing they bought middara, a game only lame idiots will buy

I bought Middara. :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I bought Middara. :(

loving same

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh yeah Frosthaven was never going to be the "I want a smaller Gloomhaven experience" kind of a game. It's going to be a fanastic game if you said, "I love Gloomhaven, love the fiddly bits, and want something with an actual narrative and campaign structure, plus better design, balance, and more things."

I'm that kind of a nerd, personally, so I'm happy. But don't worry if you're not - we're all telling Isaac the world needs more Smallhavens.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

I found that Arkham Horror LCG scratched a lot of the same coop campaign itch for me in a much less onerous package.

Yeah, me too. I want to love these big coop dungeon crawlers, but in the end, I just don’t enjoy them enough for the hassle and effort.

Arkham LCG though is pretty quick to set up, I’ve been finding it very replayable, and I’m enjoying the deck building and upgrading aspect.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

dwarf74 posted:

Oh yeah Frosthaven was never going to be the "I want a smaller Gloomhaven experience" kind of a game. It's going to be a fanastic game if you said, "I love Gloomhaven, love the fiddly bits, and want something with an actual narrative and campaign structure, plus better design, balance, and more things."

I'm that kind of a nerd, personally, so I'm happy. But don't worry if you're not - we're all telling Isaac the world needs more Smallhavens.

I backed Darkest Dungeon as the fit for a one-shot RPG that isn’t Too Many Bones

We’ll see if it’s instead a bunch of plastic to sell to painting nerds

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I am sure the video game that is almost entirely aesthetics will have a very meaty tactical boardgame adaptation.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

It’s okay, Too Many Bones is the better game anyway.

Oh, you mean the one where the optimal choice is to always just take a boring rear end +1 instead of any other skill? Also are you just arguing with yourself now, considering you were just bragging about buying Frosthaven? Dumbass.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
So, Tainted Grail.

I don't post here often, but I'm completely bewildered by this game. I've never been so engrossed and yet so frustrated by a game before. The game is so enchanting in so many ways. The mechanics are good enough to not get in the way of the exploration, and the exploration is the best I've ever seen in a board game. The plot, the secrets, the discoveries - they are all so interesting and generally well written. The way the plot unfolds as you make your way through the chapters is really remarkable, and quite an achievement. You really become engrossed in the story and look forward to finding the next bit of exposition in a way I've never seen captured outside of a video game. The exploration journal is full of interesting information, puzzles, etc. and is, generally, a very elegant method of working your way through a very complex narrative (complex in the context of a board game). The deck building and survival aspects are fine, they work well enough, and they generally capture the sense of progression you'd have in an RPG.

With all that being said, this is also the most frustrating game I've ever played. I've been keeping a journal to notate what I've done at each location and to write down the (sometimes obvious, sometimes far too subtle) clues that serve to nudge your exploration towards a resolution. I've ended two campaigns prematurely because I, basically, got overwhelmed (playing solo, so I'm tracking everything myself) by the amount of things that you have to juggle at any given time. This time I'm trying to force myself to finish the campaign, and generally, having a great time. I've fudged the rules in a couple of places to keep from getting frustrated and totally restarted chapter 6 after squandering far too much time going in the wrong direction. I also seem to have completely bypassed a good part of the plot (the amount of freedom you have to explore the world is remarkable, and the various ways the game tries to corral you are well done), which forced me to look up spoilers in order to complete chapter 7 without tearing my hair out. I just started chapter 8, which seems to mark a fundamental change in the nature of the game, at least temporarily.

Anyone finished this or any of the other campaigns? Any thoughts or suggestions? I think I'll finish the Fall of Avalon regardless, but I understand the expansion campaigns are not as well done.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

snickles posted:

Anyone finished this or any of the other campaigns? Any thoughts or suggestions? I think I'll finish the Fall of Avalon regardless, but I understand the expansion campaigns are not as well done.

I have not personally played Tainted Grail or any Awakened Realms realms campaign games. However, if I recall correctly, Paul Grogan of Gaming Rules was a fan of Tainted Grail, but he also played with some house rules, because his group liked the story but didn't like certain other aspects. I know he mentioned sharing those in some vid somewhere, and (possibly Tainted Grail spoilers behind link, I literally could not tell you) this appears to be them. Maybe you'll get on better with those adjustments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh, you mean the one where the optimal choice is to always just take a boring rear end +1 instead of any other skill? Also are you just arguing with yourself now, considering you were just bragging about buying Frosthaven? Dumbass.

Pretty sure he's just trying to get your goat. And since you're responding to him, he's winning.

The optimal choice is to not respond to him even if it's the boring one.