Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

FirstAidKite posted:

Gotta wonder which would be more interesting

1. a game where you're a survivor of an abduction and the way your mind has been changed is related to whatever the purpose behind your abduction was. It'd be similar to deviant and changeling but with emphasis on being the victim of a galactic plot you can never possibly understand your purpose in, so like being a sleeper agent who isn't sure what purpose their abduction was supposed to serve, and the alienation from society of now that you carry knowledge of the stars and that nobody will ever believe you except fellow abductees.

2. Playing as the aliens who have to perform all kinds of stealthy hit and runs on earth in order to achieve some complex goal with an emphasis on how you handle the task of prepping earth to be brought into a larger galactic society as a colony.

3. Just Men in Black and/or X-COM.

Now I’m bitter again that the sequel to Conspiracy X where the Saurian fleets arrived was cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

FirstAidKite posted:

This is the best way to play oWoD Technocracy characters btw, you get to play off the tension of heroically saving the world while also working for an oppressive conspiracy

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So wait the Technocracy is just Delta Green? Finally someone puts it in terms I can understand.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FirstAidKite posted:

Gotta wonder which would be more interesting

1. a game where you're a survivor of an abduction and the way your mind has been changed is related to whatever the purpose behind your abduction was. It'd be similar to deviant and changeling but with emphasis on being the victim of a galactic plot you can never possibly understand your purpose in, so like being a sleeper agent who isn't sure what purpose their abduction was supposed to serve, and the alienation from society of now that you carry knowledge of the stars and that nobody will ever believe you except fellow abductees.

2. Playing as the aliens who have to perform all kinds of stealthy hit and runs on earth in order to achieve some complex goal with an emphasis on how you handle the task of prepping earth to be brought into a larger galactic society as a colony.

Onyx Path has a Kickstarter up for a TALES FROM THE series and one is Sword and Sorcery Conan style stuff, but the other is Secret Agent stuff that specifically states it has rules for pulpy X-Files style sci-fi.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Only tangentially WoD-related, but Rose Bailey's creator-owned Cavaliers of Mars, published by Onyx Path, is currently 90% off on everything. It's not a huge line--the corebook, a couple of adventures, a mini-supplement on one of the major cities, and play aids like a GM screen and ability cards--but you can snag it all for less than :fivecbux:.

If you like Dying Earth, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, and Barsoom with about 50% more weird fiction and 100% less Confederate apologia, you should check it out. (Also, do note that Esoterica of Mars is just City of Towered Tombs and Witch Queen of the Shadowed Citadel merged into a single product, so don't bother buying all three.)

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4261/Onyx-Path-Publishing/subcategory/8329_31332/Cavaliers-of-Mars

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 16, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

I don't know quite what your DnD group is like but tbh I think being a good GM is less about experience/system mastery than it is about attitude and grace. Which is not unteachable. I recommend this always - read the MC chapter from Apocalypse World. Very little of that chapter is system specific, instead it's advice for how to facilitate an RPG group in general, and gives good tricks for overcoming roadblocks that GMs frequently encounter. "Disclaim decision-making" is bluntly the most powerful and useful tool I've ever gotten as a GM, learning to get comfortable with that tool has been by far and away the biggest difference between me being a shameful GM and an OK one.

And of course some of the system specific stuff applies pretty readily to at least CoD - CoD moves pretty much always have a description of what happens on dramatic/failure/success/exceptional, which is ammo for the GM.

Also do your best to embrace the "Yes, and" system. Since this is the world of darkness, I also use "Yes, but" where if the players ask to do something, allow them but also something else occurs. This is how my werewolf players were able to create a gatornado when staging an assault on mad science lab, and how my mage players got a wizard van with extradimensional living area, but also a taste for blood.

Sometime you just have to give them a hard no, but often you can think up a fun consequence and tell them, "Sure you can do that, but there's a good chance the big bad's minions are going to notice and you'll be found out."

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, it is kind of a longshot, but anyone remember a bunch of early 00's shitposts about The First City in Masquerade? I remember it was hosted on its own site along some other stuff that was often linked amongst WoD oriented forums.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I bought the Vampire Rivals game, hoping it might recapture some of the VtES magic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fuzz posted:

Onyx Path has a Kickstarter up for a TALES FROM THE series and one is Sword and Sorcery Conan style stuff, but the other is Secret Agent stuff that specifically states it has rules for pulpy X-Files style sci-fi.

From what I've heard of it, Deviant sounds like it might actually work great for that.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The Second Inquisition book pdf is available for folks who pre-ordered the book.

I skimmed through it the other day and it's pretty good, a lot of info, although the bit that made me laugh out loud was that Russia is one of the few countries with a full chapter dedicated to their hunters (along with US, UK and Brazil) which considering recent events makes me think the Kindred of Russia are probably not in too much trouble.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From what I've heard of it, Deviant sounds like it might actually work great for that.

Deviant is perfect for the ANTAGONISTS of that type of game, sure.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

joylessdivision posted:

The Second Inquisition book pdf is available for folks who pre-ordered the book.

I skimmed through it the other day and it's pretty good, a lot of info, although the bit that made me laugh out loud was that Russia is one of the few countries with a full chapter dedicated to their hunters (along with US, UK and Brazil) which considering recent events makes me think the Kindred of Russia are probably not in too much trouble.

I was surprised at how much I ended up liking the book, reframing SI as more an event, as opposed to an organization works a helluva lot better than how it was originally presented.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DantetheK9 posted:

I was surprised at how much I ended up liking the book, reframing SI as more an event, as opposed to an organization works a helluva lot better than how it was originally presented.

Yeah, Ericsson's original Thing made it feel like a bunch of intelligence communities marching in lockstep which is hilarious if you know the first thing about intelligence communities. Is there stuff in there about how they step on each other's toes? Heck, even if or especially if they're from the same country?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Ericsson's original Thing made it feel like a bunch of intelligence communities marching in lockstep which is hilarious if you know the first thing about intelligence communities. Is there stuff in there about how they step on each other's toes? Heck, even if or especially if they're from the same country?

I want to say yes, but I haven't gone over the book super deeply yet. It does a good job of giving the storyteller a wide selection of types of hunters and a bit on each and how they work etc along with stats.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DantetheK9 posted:

Yeah, the first impression I had for the Second Inquisition just broke through my disbelief. People who go on moral crusades within law enforcement in the real world usually commit suicide with a shot to the back of the head. A worldwide moral crusade from intelligence agencies against people with centuries of accumulated wealth and influence, plus ample access to the world's most addictive drug that has the perk of immortality and causes absolute loyalty to the dealer, just seemed way more absurd than anything in the WoD since 1e. If they are reframing it as a consequence of surveillance states and technology, that's much more palatable.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Maybe it was just me and my inherent ability to No Prize things, but I always felt like the Second Inquisition being a general term for "specific forces within the intelligence community discover the vampires" was actually the intended goal as presented in the corebook, it's just that it's one of many setting changes the book has to present as the new Status Quo and that they expected a book expanding on the SI coming out in about six months to a year after the corebook's publication, as opposed to four.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I am potentially in a Mage 20 game. I'm new to it. Game would allow Traditions and Hollow Ones. I read up on the gist of the world and stuff but is there a better source to get a feel for the traditions than the White Wolf wiki? And something that will give me a feel for what it's like to play? Like if a typical Vampire experience is "okay pissants. You're new here. I'm the Prince. Go do some poo poo for me," what is the typical Mage experience?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Free Cog posted:

Maybe it was just me and my inherent ability to No Prize things, but I always felt like the Second Inquisition being a general term for "specific forces within the intelligence community discover the vampires" was actually the intended goal as presented in the corebook, it's just that it's one of many setting changes the book has to present as the new Status Quo and that they expected a book expanding on the SI coming out in about six months to a year after the corebook's publication, as opposed to four.

Honestly I had the same impression at the time. Small clusters of operatives that could possibly wreck your poo poo if you got too loud.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I am potentially in a Mage 20 game. I'm new to it. Game would allow Traditions and Hollow Ones. I read up on the gist of the world and stuff but is there a better source to get a feel for the traditions than the White Wolf wiki? And something that will give me a feel for what it's like to play? Like if a typical Vampire experience is "okay pissants. You're new here. I'm the Prince. Go do some poo poo for me," what is the typical Mage experience?

"Okay pissants. You're new here. I'm the head of this Chantry. Go do some poo poo for me."

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Dawgstar posted:

How about a hilarious joke, ala London Spy?

'It's hysterical. An Englishman, a Chinaman, a Frenchman, an American, a Russian, an Israeli and a Saudi walk into a bar... and they all agree.'

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I had an idea for a Dissonance Society ecstatic whose art focus is like Dada and Situationism and like using the absurdity of present life as a cover for mind magic. Would the mechanics support that? Anything I can do with the starting spheres of Time and Mind?

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
I think your concept sounds fine and can't see any obvious place where it'd run into mechanical issues. In terms of Spheres, Mind is usually a safe bet. Some tables can be very hard on Time, and by M20 rules I believe you'll need Life to do some things which might intuitively seem like pure Time effects (like reading someone else's past or future, or using Time to slow or speed up others).

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

V5 question: how many famulus can a vampire have? Animalism 1 at creation lets you start with one for "free" but can you make/purchase with Retainer dots more?

My Ravnos already has a coyote as a buddy, I'm just curious if I can also get a swarm of spiders down the road with the amalgam power or if he'll need to eat said buddy before he does that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

citybeatnik posted:

V5 question: how many famulus can a vampire have? Animalism 1 at creation lets you start with one for "free" but can you make/purchase with Retainer dots more?

My Ravnos already has a coyote as a buddy, I'm just curious if I can also get a swarm of spiders down the road with the amalgam power or if he'll need to eat said buddy before he does that.

You can keep adding more with retainer dots, yep.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Fuzz posted:

You can keep adding more with retainer dots, yep.

Excellent.

New goal for my PC: Subsume The Spirit into a swarm of spiders that share his Fortitude abilities with that one amalgam power

Either that or acting out that bit where Spiderman scared a group of thugs by claiming he was using his Spidey powers to call forth his eight-legged minions.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
New oMage/Wraith crossover character just dropped

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I finally received the V5 dice I ordered at least 6 months ago (was it during Gencon?) and forgot about. They're sitting on a GM's screen I ordered around the same time, but received a month ago.

They are pretty nice, a total of 13 dice + 5 hunger dice.

First roll...6 successes, and a messy crit! Each pair with those extra symbols combines to give 4 successes, and if one is also a hunger die that makes it messy.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ritorix posted:

I finally received the V5 dice I ordered at least 6 months ago (was it during Gencon?) and forgot about. They're sitting on a GM's screen I ordered around the same time, but received a month ago.

They are pretty nice, a total of 13 dice + 5 hunger dice.

First roll...6 successes, and a messy crit! Each pair with those extra symbols combines to give 4 successes, and if one is also a hunger die that makes it messy.

Are those the new ones from Renegade? The colors look a lot richer on those vs the Modipheus ones I've got.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

joylessdivision posted:

Are those the new ones from Renegade? The colors look a lot richer on those vs the Modipheus ones I've got.

Yeah they must be a new run, they have a Renegade symbol on the back along with a 2021 copyright.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ritorix posted:

Yeah they must be a new run, they have a Renegade symbol on the back along with a 2021 copyright.

Ah okay. I remember watching one of the Renegade con videos or something and they showed off the new dice. They look way way nicer than the ones I have, quality wise the Modipheus dice look and feel a bit cheap and the colors aren't as nice.

At least that means the Hunter dice I ordered from Renegade will be nice.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Loomer posted:

New oMage/Wraith crossover character just dropped

Welp i just ordered the hardcover set of those comics.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno how many of you also play JRPGs but we're talking vampirism and Humanity elsewhere and it made me think of these two quotes from Final Fantasy XII

Gerun: Undying, we Occuria light the path for wayward sons of Man. Eternal, we are hist'ry's stewards, to set the course and keep it true.

vs.

Venat: What claim does Gerun have on history's reins... seated on throne immortal, rent from time?

The Ancients, Kindred who have lived for thousands of years, seem to have lost all perspective. Vampires are static, sterile beings, imprisoned in flesh and minds when they were Embraced and unable to progress even as everything else in the world changes around hem.

I don't know if other immortal beings in WoD have this problem, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno how many of you also play JRPGs but we're talking vampirism and Humanity elsewhere and it made me think of these two quotes from Final Fantasy XII

Gerun: Undying, we Occuria light the path for wayward sons of Man. Eternal, we are hist'ry's stewards, to set the course and keep it true.

vs.

Venat: What claim does Gerun have on history's reins... seated on throne immortal, rent from time?

The Ancients, Kindred who have lived for thousands of years, seem to have lost all perspective. Vampires are static, sterile beings, imprisoned in flesh and minds when they were Embraced and unable to progress even as everything else in the world changes around hem.

I don't know if other immortal beings in WoD have this problem, though.

Other immortal beings generally don't start out as humans, they were always something different, I think is the point. Humans can't change and adapt after a certain point, it's why we're supposed to die.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

NikkolasKing posted:

Vampires are static, sterile beings, imprisoned in flesh and minds when they were Embraced and unable to progress even as everything else in the world changes around hem.

This is just an excuse vampires tell themselves and each other.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Ferrinus posted:

This actually seems to be a big split between Requiem 1e and CoD from what I've seen. CoD is a great system but I keep running into people who want it to be happy and nice superheroes who need a little bit of blood to do their thing (but it's always possible and easy to acquire this without hurting anyone emotionally or physically so there's no inherent evil to being a vampire). AFAIK CoD does away with all the text about unlife being static. It kind of bugs me!

I know even in Requiem 1e it was debatable, but there was definitely a theme of emotional/character growth that happens after death being inexorably tied to the beast growing into a better or worse predator.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 7, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah everything I've read in oWoD is about the sterility of being a vampire. It makes sense, this is post-Rice Vampire and Rice's Vampires are all about the existential horror of being a timeless entity through the ages.

I remember one of the Toreador clanbooks discusses how, even though creative, artistic mortals are the ones they choose to Embrace, all of that is lost upon becoming a vampire. A Vampire might even choose some rando standing right next to Picasso because the vampire has lost their ability to really understand art or beauty.

"Superheroes with fangs" seems like it's rather missing the point. I like my quote earlier about being "rent from time." That's how vampires feel to me.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kavak posted:

So wait the Technocracy is just Delta Green? Finally someone puts it in terms I can understand.

Eh. Uh. Well. Yes I'd say. Or more specifically you could run a Technocracy game just like a Delta Green one with all the "eliminate the vector"(the Mythos) and bureaucratic paranoia that a Delta Green game can have. Ultimately I think in a Technocracy game Technocrats are happier than Delta Green agents ever will be. After all, Technocrats are Mages and can drink their own Kool-Aide in terms of convincing themselves they are doing an action for the Great Good or for the protection of Consensus Reality. Granted Delta Green agents are fighting against the dying of the light, but at the end of the day they know humanity is ultimately doomed.

Also I think Technocrat games can have more interesting internecine warfare (or just mild conflict) among the Conventions while Delta Green initially has the Cowboys and the Program at odds.

In addition Technocrats could work with Traditions Mages (say vs the Nephandi) but Delta Green agents are told specifically to contain the outbreak of the Mythos and will very rarely team up with Mythos forces to tackle a bigger threat. I can't think of an adventure like that off hand actually.

Edit: Just did I think Roleplaying Public Radio had an episode where players could team up with Yithians against another alien force

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I don't think there is a typical Mage experience. Expect anything?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

worm girl posted:

This actually seems to be a big split between Requiem 1e and CoD from what I've seen. CoD is a great system but I keep running into people who want it to be happy and nice superheroes who need a little bit of blood to do their thing (but it's always possible and easy to acquire this without hurting anyone emotionally or physically so there's no inherent evil to being a vampire). AFAIK CoD does away with all the text about unlife being static. It kind of bugs me!

I know even in Requiem 1e it was debatable, but there was definitely a theme of emotional/character growth that happens after death being inexorably tied to the beast growing into a better or worse predator.

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah everything I've read in oWoD is about the sterility of being a vampire. It makes sense, this is post-Rice Vampire and Rice's Vampires are all about the existential horror of being a timeless entity through the ages.

I remember one of the Toreador clanbooks discusses how, even though creative, artistic mortals are the ones they choose to Embrace, all of that is lost upon becoming a vampire. A Vampire might even choose some rando standing right next to Picasso because the vampire has lost their ability to really understand art or beauty.

"Superheroes with fangs" seems like it's rather missing the point. I like my quote earlier about being "rent from time." That's how vampires feel to me.

CoD had to do away with the text about vampires being fundamentally static (and instead, iirc, talking about how vampires will tend to evolve and adapt to their current social context through basically blood osmosis) because it's never been true or believable, and I'm talking about both oWoD and nWoD here. Even setting aside such basic game mechanics as "spending experience points", the whole reason you had supremely evil ancients basically unrecognizable as the people they once were was precisely because vampires grew and changed, just pretty much never into anything good. Whenever you try to think hard about the actual details of mental or emotional stasis as intrinsic metaphysical qualities rather than tendencies and broad themes, and try to work out how they would play out in a story including characters who, like, learn things, it never really works out in a sensible or consistent way.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 7, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Not to mention it's hard to square with amnesia being a fundamental characteristic of older vampires, in the nWoD's case. The two are almost mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ferrinus posted:

That is good. Vampires are not capable of being static and lifeless for the reasons you mentioned (it being an obvious absurdity with both the premise of the fiction and the core mechanics of the game) but it still being a story in the fiction reveals an actual truth about vampires: they are creatures of deception and especially self-deception. There is a desire among humans, that unsurprisingly continues into vampirism, to be a consistent, logical being, to embody some degree of truth, but only mathematical concepts get that luxury. We live in the world and the world is change, and vampires have let the fact that they don't age normally trick themselves into thinking they're exempt from the rules.

The other game about being a walking corpse, Promethean, is the most optimistic because it most nakedly embraces change.

If you want an RPG that deals with creatures who are fundamentally static, dwarfs in Glorantha are a trip: they are immortal, but only so long as they never change. For most, this means that they permanently work a single station on an assembly line for all eternity. If they stop doing their job, even if they just develop sufficiently heterodox thoughts, they start to age and die. The fact that there are heresies you can believe in (and preach) without aging and dying is very vexing to them.