Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

ringu0 posted:

They could be doing it for fun, or just to stay in shape. I imagine they are not performing live as often these days.

e: or you mean why in MJ case you pay for the merch, while with the Mads you pay for the episodes? idk, was pondering that myself

Yeah, I was referring to Mary Jo there, the Mads' shows have all been $10 a piece while Mary Jo's shows have all been free so far I think. Only downloads of her past shows cost anything. I guess we'll see where it goes, I don't think I'd pay $10 for MJ's show as it is right now, but if it evolves into something more then I would. Or if she finds her own niche, since there's only so much room for movie riffers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
She has a PayPal and Venmo for people to donate whatever they feel like it's worth, and I would hope she gets money from Twitch subscriptions.

Personally I like the format of the show, it's loose and varied and feels more like a friendly, participatory thing rather than just passively watching others riff. In short, this is her niche, and it's entirely fair that it's not going to click with everyone.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
If she and Bridget just started a stream to drink wine and talk about nothing I'd subscribe to that instantly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BaronVonVaderham posted:

If she and Bridget just started a stream to drink wine and talk about nothing I'd subscribe to that instantly.

I'd almost think that's how they record their riffs anyway.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Exactly. More of that, please.

I'd still pay a not-insignificant amount of money for them to do a B&MJ edition of the Twilight movies.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On the riff a good movie topic, and if riff audiences get that it's a good movie etc, it's always an interesting thing. Epecially with B-movie gems that are genuinely good.

For example, Trancers rules! Such a clever fun movie. It was at a local theater's trash night, which can celebrate entertaining oddball movies like that, as well as movies that are nigh-unwatchable. But sometimes audiences lump the two together and don't see the artistry of the former.

For example, rifftrax did No Retreat No Surrender, by the Corey Yuen! A legend. And it's certainly oddball and crazy, but in a very good way. That's a good movie to me. I saw some on twitch who didn't respect that masterpiece for example.

I love How Did This Get Made, or at least I was into it for years, but sometimes it can be a bit silly to me how they point out oddball stuff and can feign being baffled every time. Sometimes stuff being out there or weird is cool and fun, so I guess sometimes celebrating that and "laughing with" the movie can be a thing. But there are many layers and levels.

As for mst3k/rifftrax, they can do no wrong, since they're roasting everything in sight, it's their bit. It doesn't to me feel any different or out of place on Lord of the Rings than it is on Aeon Flux. They tend to do B-movies, often low quality, but I don't take a riff to be an indication of the quality of a movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It certainly helps that as the crew have said, they're roasting the movies and not ribbing them. They know how easy it is to make a bad movie by accident.
(Except when they sometimes do get kind of mad at the movie, like the Phantom Menace I recall distinctly Kevin just works himself into a state over it which he cites as the reason being colossally irritated by the waste of resources.)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Exactly. More of that, please.

I'd still pay a not-insignificant amount of money for them to do a B&MJ edition of the Twilight movies.

Or, if they won't re-do a movie, Beastly.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Heavy Metal posted:

I love How Did This Get Made, or at least I was into it for years, but sometimes it can be a bit silly to me how they point out oddball stuff and can feign being baffled every time. Sometimes stuff being out there or weird is cool and fun, so I guess sometimes celebrating that and "laughing with" the movie can be a thing. But there are many layers and levels.

If it was June or Paul, I don't think they were feigning anything. I lost a bit of interest when I heard those space cadets complaining about some 'plot hole' in a movie, when it was obvious that they just hadn't been paying attention while watching it. I've never heard Jason make a mistake like that, though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don’t know how anyone could listen to more than a few episodes of that show because they repeatedly don’t understand movies, but I do like the “what is a street fighter?” bit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So, Things. That sure is giving me powerful flashbacks to latenight local tv when that was a thing.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Things made me feel filthy and like I was somehow complicit in a crime for watching it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Go watch Snow Beast, that should confuse the shame away.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

final stretch goals on the kickstarter, including a Judge Dredd (1995) riff if they reach 10,000 backers.

kind of a bummer that they're only doing one live show but I can't blame them

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On the topic of riffing and bad movies, I don't think Judge Dredd is that bad of a movie. And I say that as a fan of the comic, so I'd have even more bones to pick. Surely there are nuttier and more crazy movies to riff. If all it takes is being a somewhat eccentric action comedy studio film, I mean, surely the weird movie viewer gets numb to those things at some point. Barely a blip on the weird radar to me. Plus the Alan Silvestri score and Max von Sydow.

Not to say they shouldn't riff it, the Jaws riff is great etc. How do I put it, I think when a movie puts itself out there, by being a bit bombastic, I applaud that. I think the "cooler" more liked movie Demolition Man is more riffable to me than Judge Dredd, since Demolition Man seems more pleased with itself.

Now, if they got John Wagner as a guest riffer, ok, now we're talking.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Breadallelogram posted:

final stretch goals on the kickstarter, including a Judge Dredd (1995) riff if they reach 10,000 backers.

I found copy of Judge Dredd by somebody called Rifftrax Recycled where they took riffs from previous Just the Jokes commentaries and made their own version.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

On the topic of riffing and bad movies, I don't think Judge Dredd is that bad of a movie. And I say that as a fan of the comic, so I'd have even more bones to pick. Surely there are nuttier and more crazy movies to riff. If all it takes is being a somewhat eccentric action comedy studio film, I mean, surely the weird movie viewer gets numb to those things at some point. Barely a blip on the weird radar to me. Plus the Alan Silvestri score and Max von Sydow.

Yeah, but you also have Armand Assante devouring all the scenery he can with his jaws. LAWWWWWW!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It is really drat funny, no denying it. Reminds me of how that Karate Kid 3 villain guy is giving a really fun performance on Cobra Kai. Those insane hammy villains are some of the finest performances. Nobody tops Hopper in Mario though, he is the king.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bMRsVs5skU

In honour of Rifftrax doing Zombie Nightmare, I'm going to plug this pretty good documentary about Jon Mikl Thor

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on! Loved that rock doc, Thor rules. End of the Century: Story of the Ramones is another great one. Story of Anvil for more Canadian steel.

Just like to say rock doc. Rock doc.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

RiffTrax Live kickstarter results through the years, updated for 2022:

2022: 1 movie ($250,000, 9,138 backers pledged $593,059)

2021: 0*

2020: 2 ($225,000, 8,446 backers pledged $475,595)

2019: 3 ($250,000, 8,618 backers pledged $539,351)

2018: 2 ($250,000, 9,436 backers pledged $501,807)

2017: 2** ($250,000, 8,602 backers pledged $430,620)

2016: 3*** ($225,000, 11,686 backers pledged $620,999)

2015: 4 ($75,000, 3,842 backers pledged $250,303)

2014: 4 ($100,000, 4,887 backers pledged $265,011)

*) COVID-19 pandemic
**) 2 movies + Summer Shorts Beach Party
***) 3 movies + MST3K Reunion Show

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm watching old episodes of Law and Order on Prime and Edgewood studio's Asahi Guy showed up out of loving nowhere lmao

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuAx__WDGJw
Team up with Giantbomb.com to do a video showing off Rifftrax the game. Turns out Bridget is the host for the game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So for 4/20 I watched Reefer Madness Live and oof, they still have the Lowtax stuff in there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/clastowka/status/1519068247915642883
Oh no

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Oh man diving right into Bloated Russian Seagal.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I recommend listening to The Dollop podcast's three episode special on ol' Steve, he's way worse than you think.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Half an hour into Old and I think it may be worse than Santa's Summer House.
Oh wait here comes the twist, and now I'm also pissed the film fails at telling what should be a short Twilight Zone episode.

E:the riff jokes are on point though.
E:gently caress you Shamalamadingdong, The aged kid gets pregnant?!
E:gently caress you #2 osteoporosis lady isn't scary, just disturbing

E: now reading the source GN, 24 pages and the characters are already not as stupid!
EE: yeah definitely read the graphic novel before this abortion of a movie ruins it for you.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 27, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

By popular demand posted:

I recommend listening to The Dollop podcast's three episode special on ol' Steve, he's way worse than you think.

Seagal's episode on Behind the Bastards is also worth listening to, featuring internet funny man Seanbaby.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching A Dangerous Man and early in the movie Seagal has a "badass" scene where he beats up some muggers but his response is completely disproportionate to the threat the muggers placed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Movie's biggest sin is trying to put forward the idea that Seagal could beat up Byron Mann.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

2009 Seagal probably couldn't beat Lowtax. Of today!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I regret that Lowtax isn't alive fight Steven Segal ala Uwe Boel.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

By popular demand posted:

E:gently caress you #2 osteoporosis lady isn't scary, just disturbing

Made me think of Futurama

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm not a watcher of that show so feel free to add a spoilered link or something.

And to reiterate: go read the graphic novel before watching the awful movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Watching A Dangerous Man and early in the movie Seagal has a "badass" scene where he beats up some muggers but his response is completely disproportionate to the threat the muggers placed.

Does he just flip them to death?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

He filps most baddies to death with one seemingly pulled away by an invisible wire.
Still more watchable then Old.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah they did a thing where they put wires on guys so he's constantly kicking people and making them fly halfway across a room. Also it is really obvious that the fight footage is sped up.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Watched Things last night. I hope people went to jail for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

Watched Things last night. I hope people went to jail for that.

I think they're from somewhere in Alberta, so close enough :v: