Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I googled it and I guess it's all a really pedantic event where he decided to play Devil's Advocate to make a point about how American (?) society is fine with all sorts of abusive practices in animal breeding, science research, and the meat industry while objecting to raping animals. My only feedback is that if you're going to pick a hill to shout "We live in a society!!!" from, it's a really dumb life choice to make that this hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dovi posted:

I posted it so people would stop presuming things

I do not care to watch an hour long video by a guy who tried to defend bestiality - even lol edgy ironically - and apparently thinks loving Destiny of all people should moderate their debate about walking out of movies early, or whatever. So uh, sorry.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

I googled it and I guess it's all a really pedantic event where he decided to play Devil's Advocate to make a point about how American (?) society is fine with all sorts of abusive practices in animal breeding, science research, and the meat industry while objecting to raping animals. My only feedback is that if you're going to pick a hill to shout "We live in a society!!!" from, it's a really dumb life choice to make that this hill.

The most influential teacher I ever had was effectively the start and end of my devil’s advocate phase. I wrote some dumb poo poo, he gave me an F on the assignment and wrote at the top of the first page, “What in the world is this garbage? Write it again and don’t make it terrible.”

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The most influential teacher I ever had was effectively the start and end of my devil’s advocate phase. I wrote some dumb poo poo, he gave me an F on the assignment and wrote at the top of the first page, “What in the world is this garbage? Write it again and don’t make it terrible.”

Hey, this is really good. I have to write this down for later.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

lmfao king

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

side_burned posted:

So münecat breadish youtuber, her analysis of NFTs is not fresh but it is correct and her music numbers are good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sNSjS8cq0

I found her when I was hating watching stuff about MLMs which is a topic she has covered a lot. Specifically she has a good one cover LuLaRoe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSUQU-1FY6Q&t=516s

Münecat's music numbers are great. Especially You are watching münecat News...

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
From what I gather in the comments of that youtube video, YMS is still saying Bestiality is bad in the end.. but he still has a lot of weird (and maybe alarming) viewpoints on it.

Eh, either way, I still appreciated his Kimba video. But I dont exactly need to see more.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 20, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I did realize I've been confusing him with Ralph the Movie Maker so at least I don't do that now. (I have a little more time for YMS than I do for Ralph.)

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Karloff posted:

No. You cannot review a film without having seen the whole thing
Sure you can. A review is about if it's any loving good to go watch. The idea that one cannot review a film, cannot call it a piece of poo poo unworthy of the viewer's time (in however a fancy manner as one wants), without sitting through every agonizing frame--that's just not right. "Bad enough to walk out, zero stars" is a totally reasonable and defensible basis for a review.

It's a much easier lift to say that one can't critique a film--cannot analyze it thematically and place it in a larger context and canon--without watching the entirety of it, but that's a different verb.

(YMS does suck, though, on that we agree.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
personally even going as deep as I could possibly feel comfortable with with insane 100% unrealistic 'okay but what if you had aquaman powers and could 100% get consent' devil's advocate bullshit I can't imagine needing more than five minutes of 'it's bad' time to discuss my 'real opinions' on loving animals, but hey I'm not a youtube guy that made like one good video that padded out 90% of with just playing unedited clips of Kimba.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I do agree with the dog fucker that 'I couldn't even loving finish this thing' is a 100% valid review though

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

tracecomplete posted:

Sure you can. A review is about if it's any loving good to go watch. The idea that one cannot review a film, cannot call it a piece of poo poo unworthy of the viewer's time (in however a fancy manner as one wants), without sitting through every agonizing frame--that's just not right. "Bad enough to walk out, zero stars" is a totally reasonable and defensible basis for a review.

It's a much easier lift to say that one can't critique a film--cannot analyze it thematically and place it in a larger context and canon--without watching the entirety of it, but that's a different verb.

(YMS does suck, though, on that we agree.)

If I was reading to a review where they said "Bad enough to walk out, zero stars" then in turn I'd instantly stop reading and throw their review into the trash because they're shite at reviewing films and can't be bothered to do the bare minimum. Why waste my time reading their awful review?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“What if the child consents?” but with hoof taps.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Karloff posted:

If I was reading to a review where they said "Bad enough to walk out, zero stars" then in turn I'd instantly stop reading and throw their review into the trash because they're shite at reviewing films and can't be bothered to do the bare minimum. Why waste my time reading their awful review?

A review is a description of the (very subjective) experience of a movie, provided so that you can relate their opinions to your own and figure out if you want to spend your time watching the movie. If you are of the (odd) mindset that one must sit through the entirety of a roiling piece of poo poo to have the opinion that it is a piece of poo poo, then that reviewer isn't for you. On the other hand, for a reasonable person, should that reviewer's opinions tend to be congruent with theirs, "it was such garbage that it wasn't worth watching the rest of it" is a very valuable review.

"It sucked rear end, I wanted to leave, but I didn't For The Review" is not going to provide a consumer of that review better information, it's just performative masochism for pince-nez-adjusting social media freaks.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 20, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Karloff posted:

do you not think 'this sucked, here's the poo poo that sucked about that made me so fed up with it I left' serves a purpose as a review? What would make 'this sucked, I wanted to walk out but I didn't and it sucked rear end for me' more 'valid'?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Yeah, I don't think there's really any problem with reviewing a movie you didn't finish so long as you're up-front about the fact that you didn't finish it.

In all honesty I feel like people take movie/tv/video game reviews way too seriously: It's not like somebody having a bad/uninformed take on a work you enjoy is going to cause any material harm to anyone and if you realize a particular critic has consistently bad takes it's pretty simple to just not pay attention to them anymore...

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

KingKalamari posted:

Yeah, I don't think there's really any problem with reviewing a movie you didn't finish so long as you're up-front about the fact that you didn't finish it.

In all honesty I feel like people take movie/tv/video game reviews way too seriously: It's not like somebody having a bad/uninformed take on a work you enjoy is going to cause any material harm to anyone and if you realize a particular critic has consistently bad takes it's pretty simple to just not pay attention to them anymore...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

in retrospect, a tremendously generous score for that game

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KingKalamari posted:

People usually want an objective analysis of whether they will enjoy a thing or not, but such a thing doesn't really exist because consuming media is by its nature a subjective experience. Insert mauler joke here. Also a lot of people use reviews as validation for their own tastes and see bad or incomplete reviews of a thing they liked as a personal attack or judgement of their own experiences.

I think dunkey of all people had the best take on reviews, which is that you should try to find critics who have tastes broadly similar to your own and who you consider to be credible and consistent. That way you can be best informed about whether you should invest your time in something or not. In such a scenario I think the critic going "yeah this was so bad I had to walk out half way through, sorry" is still valuable to you because then you'd be pretty certain it's not a product you want to invest your time or energy into either.

Alaois posted:

in retrospect, a tremendously generous score for that game

I couldn't even finish TP I was so goddamn bored with that game.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

tracecomplete posted:

A review is a description of the (very subjective) experience of a movie, provided so that you can relate their opinions to your own and figure out if you want to spend your time watching the movie. If you are of the (odd) mindset that one must sit through the entirety of a roiling piece of poo poo to have the opinion that it is a piece of poo poo, then that reviewer isn't for you. On the other hand, for a reasonable person, should that reviewer's opinions tend to be congruent with theirs, "it was such garbage that it wasn't worth watching the rest of it" is a very valuable review.

"It sucked rear end, I wanted to leave, but I didn't For The Review" is not going to provide a consumer of that review better information, it's just performative masochism for pince-nez-adjusting social media freaks.

Well, fundamentally I feel differently to you about the function of reviews, and presumably all criticism in general. There is an element of consumer guidance, but that's only a small sliver of what makes criticism valuable or interesting, at least to me. I tend not to (mostly) watch or read reviews of films I haven't seen for example. The critics I enjoy reading are not ones I necessarily agree with but ones that can provide an interesting context, talk about what they deem to be the strengths and weaknesses of the filmmaking in an incisive and compelling away, use the art they're discussing as a springboard to discuss wider themes etc. All of which actually require someone to finish the film they're discussing before reviewing it.

I am surprised the idea of finishing a film before reviewing it is controversial here, believe me. But it's not a controversial concept in most avenues. I remember years ago when someone was filling in for Mark Kermode on his show (I think it was Robbie Collin) and he said he walked out of what I think was Crank 2. But even then he said "there is no review for Crank 2 due to my walking out", because he knew it was be the height of unprofessionalism for him to review a film he had not fully seen. There should be a level of self respect a critic should bring to their work, and a level of respect they should apportion to work they're criticising, not finishing a film falls below that standard of respect.

Now, I know one could argue that a YouTube critic is not a professional in the strictest sense, though YMS presumably achieves invites to festival screenings on the basis of being a "professional", but still I am not going to waste my time watching the work of a reviewer who doesn't finish the film. That falls below my personal threshold of quality in what I expect from a critic, in print, or youtube or whatever.

The other aspect to this is that frankly I don't believe you can judge a film without seeing the whole thing in anything but the most superficial sense, such as "well it didn't hold my attention, so film bad". So any review that is in effect a review of half the film because the critic couldn't be bothered to finish will inevitably be a superficial shallow piece of garbage and I don't want to read it.

Again, don't get me wrong, I am not judging any normal non critic people for walking out of films if they don't like it. That is a perfectly fine thing to do unless you're watching an in-flight movie. But, even then I'd probably take their opinion with a pinch of salt. I can't even count the amount of films that made me restless and frustrated until the final act when things snapped together and I could see what the film was doing.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 20, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I didn't finish reading that post but I know from what I did read that it sucks

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think the idea that you magically lose all abilities to form opinion or views on a product if you don't 100% consume it is completely on its face absurd. I want to know what made him walk out of Crank 2, did he like Crank or was this him trying to enjoy a series he didn't like, did 2 fail to capture what he liked in the first? There's tons of things to talk about and if we're talking in terms of 'professionalism' (which is itself a joke made up concept) I'd argue going 'actually I won't say anything about this because I decided to bail on it half in' is pretty loving unprofessional when your job is to say things about movies.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

I think the idea that you magically lose all abilities to form opinion or views on a product if you don't 100% consume it is completely on its face absurd.

Of course you don't, anyone can have opinions on anything, but on the flip side I can choose to just dismiss those opinions entirely.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Karloff posted:

Of course you don't, anyone can have opinions on anything, but on the flip side I can choose to just dismiss those opinions entirely.

I mean, to take this to its logical conclusion, do food reviews have to eat every bite of food they review, even if they hate it?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, to take this to its logical conclusion, do food reviews have to eat every bite of food they review, even if they hate it?

A bad comparison. Film, like music, is a temporal art-form. Food is not.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

No but I expect them to try every part of the dish. A movie is not a steak, it's beginning middle and end are all different experiences

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Karloff posted:

If I was reading to a review where they said "Bad enough to walk out, zero stars" then in turn I'd instantly stop reading
of course you would, you've finished reading the review

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Movie reviews are only relevant as entertainment, nobody respects them. And not finishing a bad movie usually means your review won't be all that interesting.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
I think someone else earlier in the thread said it best: there's a difference between a review and a critique. A person saying "I thought this film was so terrible I walked out in the middle of it" is fine, but if that same person was trying to make some specific point like "here's why this film fails at [x]" THEN I'd expect them to have watched the whole thing. Like, as part of their basic due diligence if they're going to make some kind of intellectual argument about it. To me, a simple review doesn't necessarily rise to that level, it's more just someone expressing their opinion.

I know the line between "review" and "critique" can be fuzzy at times, but the importance of watching the whole film will vary to the extent that any piece of writing leans more towards one end of the scale or the other.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

the only thing I know about YMS is this video so I have never sought out his content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYWNFwwOqYQ

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All critics are garbage. Make something cool instead imO

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Okay, here are some cool cartoons: On the latest Flash In The Pan we talk about part 4 of There She Is!! and a classic Megaman fan-animation, Rockman NEO.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Karloff posted:

if a critic gets up and goes to the bathroom is their opinion disqualified

Gaius Marius posted:

No but I expect them to try every part of the dish. A movie is not a steak, it's beginning middle and end are all different experiences

if someone puts a piece of poo poo on a plate and serves it to you, you dont have to eat it to know it sucks

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

CelticPredator posted:

All critics are garbage. Make something cool instead imO

Sure, critics are garbage, buts what's your view on reviewers?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They are stinky as HECK

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i def dont care as much as the Protect The Integrity Of The Movie Critic As a Cultural Cornerstone guy but the idea that a person could not be capable of formulating their opinion based on how they reacted to the movie is dumb on its face.

quote:

But even then he said "there is no review for Crank 2 due to my walking out"

but that's the review lol. you understand that, yes? "it's so bad i walked out" is a critique of the film's content

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

KingKalamari posted:

There was something I read a while ago that talked about how game reviewers would sometimes play the first few or so hours of a game before dropping their review, and the issue was that in some cases, devs (or more likely publishers) would frontload the best content of a game within that window, so if the latter half of the game dropped off in quality, it went unnoticed.

I remember when Total War Rome 2 came out, there was some controversy because it got some relatively high marks, but it was deduced that critics only had put an hour or two into the game (I think the evidence was that the global achievement results for the game were only for the first couple of achievements at the time when only advance reviewer copies were out).

On the other hand, you've got games where people defend it, saying, "the game picks up 4-12 hours in!" (only game I can think off the bat that got that defense is Final Fantasy 13) It's not that the people who say that are wrong in all cases, but not everyone is going to up to slugging through the early game to get to the point where it may or may not pick up.

Granted, games aren't the same as film, and while I don't think there are many instances of someone watching the first half of a film and giving it high marks based on that, I can understand someone turning off a film because they find it too boring, annoying, or bad. Sure, in some cases, you could task them with watching the latter half and it might change their opinions, but unless something like Dirty Grandpa becomes equivalent to a Jodorowsky film in the last hour of its runtime, the people who stopped watching it made an accurate assessment of how the rest of the film was going to play out. Plus, even if it did turn into a high art film, it's still has the fault of a terrible lead-in.

SEE ALSO: Steve Hogarty's review for the Sims expansion packs where he just wrote fanfiction about how lovely the publishers were.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 21, 2022

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

fun hater posted:

if a critic gets up and goes to the bathroom is their opinion disqualified

Bad comparison. Someone getting up and missing a minute of the film due to a situation somewhat outside of their control is different from leaving a film deliberately halfway through, missing an hour or more, because they can no longer be hosed. Different things are different.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Srice posted:

the only thing I know about YMS is this video so I have never sought out his content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYWNFwwOqYQ

Yeah, right off the bat, "narrative structure didn't exist prior to Citizen Kane" is just mindboggling. Like, yeah, if you're talking about the kind of poo poo the Lumieres were putting out, where it was basically just lads and ladies futzing about in front of a camera, but it still entirely dismisses about 40 years of cinema history.

Is there further context to this, because, like, this is Film Studies 101 poo poo that he's clearly not understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It sounds like he knew that Citizen Kane was influential, but had no idea why, so said the single most stupid thing and betrayed the fact he had never watched a film older than Star Wars outside of Kane.