Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I almost gave up on tunic until I found the sword.
It sure made a difference going from helpless stick wielder to sword, shield, and 3 life restoration potions.

The guy with the green cape and the spear is still super frustrating.
But I give up too easily on games. I will keep at it for now. I just a couple of weeks ago went back and beat super Mario bros 1. That only took what? 37 years? (To be fair I didn’t own a NES until 1996 and was primarily playing on the Sega Genesis until I got my Dreamcast in 2000, lent my mom and her husband the NES and games shortly after I bought it and they sold it for dope; fuckers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Cape guy is a wuss just throw dynamite at him, it takes two sticks

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imagine breaking a controller over a Souls game in 2022. You've had 13 years to get used to these games.

maybe that person was 13 tho

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

veni veni veni posted:

Imagine breaking a controller over a Souls any game in 2022 ever.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only time I shattered a controller is when I accidentally stepped on a DualShock 3 and the L2 button snapped off

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

External Organs posted:

Cape guy is a wuss just throw dynamite at him, it takes two sticks

That is how I figured out how to get rid of him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One time I broke a PS3 controller when it slipped out of my hand when I was going to the kitchen to get some water. I don't know why I took it with me in the first place.

I was working at Gamestop at the time so I swapped it with another controller and sent the broken one out with the defects.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

kri kri posted:

How do I install GTa5 for series X?

I've been trying to do this and I have no idea why the gently caress it's so convoluted on Xbox. Playstation just puts both versions besides each other. I randomly found it because it sure didn't come up in searches.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RBX posted:

I've been trying to do this and I have no idea why the gently caress it's so convoluted on Xbox. Playstation just puts both versions besides each other. I randomly found it because it sure didn't come up in searches.
Usually most next-gen updates on Xbox are just a free automatic patch. On a Series? It just grabs the Series version for you. poo poo gets pretty messy when publishers insist on having you pay for the upgrade though, since I think it technically acts as a separate game? I know when the Battlefield beta started I had to download it twice because I originally grabbed the previous-gen version by accident...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Think I'm done with Tunic, it's just not very fun for a Zeldalike to be this punishingly hard for no real reason. Not really in the mood for that right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Think I'm done with Tunic, it's just not very fun for a Zeldalike to be this punishingly hard for no real reason. Not really in the mood for that right now.

Ngl I'm tired of every zelda clone lately being a huge pain in the rear end. I love Dark Souls but I don't need it everywhere and when I play zelda I just want cool exploration and puzzles not major obstacles to run into.

This is also why metroid dread sucks.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The Kins posted:

Usually most next-gen updates on Xbox are just a free automatic patch. On a Series? It just grabs the Series version for you. poo poo gets pretty messy when publishers insist on having you pay for the upgrade though, since I think it technically acts as a separate game? I know when the Battlefield beta started I had to download it twice because I originally grabbed the previous-gen version by accident...

Yes i think I should be more mad at Rockstar here because i've never had this problem. I can't even tell if i'm playing the right version.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rockstar made this as complicated as possible. I’ve never seen a more confusing upgrade this gen, even on PS5

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I just looked in the New Games menu and picked the version I was after.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tunic's fake manual is adorable and the aesthetic is so pretty but I have 0 regrets just turning on infinite health and stamina because laffo at your intended difficulty.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The next gen versions are also labeled with that X|S icon.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RBX posted:

Yes i think I should be more mad at Rockstar here because i've never had this problem. I can't even tell if i'm playing the right version.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The next gen versions are also labeled with that X|S icon.
For reference, game icons include useful info re: what system it's for and what licensing it uses.

Some features like Quick Resume and FPS Boost for old games will also appear in the top right corner while the Guide menu is open.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Barudak posted:

Tunic's fake manual is adorable and the aesthetic is so pretty but I have 0 regrets just turning on infinite health and stamina because laffo at your intended difficulty.

This is where I ended up. There's some dungeon room with like ten dudes in, and I'm thinking no way I'd enjoy having to slog through this without infinite health.

Nice that they're just building the Game Genie into the options menu these days.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Just a heads up, unless they fixed it in the patch yesterday there's an issue with Tunic's god mode in a section where you need to die to progress (or I guess you could say it's working perfectly). It's a good ways into the game, just make sure you temporarily turn it off when you go to place the 3 colored keys.

edit: as for combat, fight your instincts and use your consumable items, they make a huge difference. There's a neat system to them hinted at in the manual, if you use enough bombs you'll eventually unlock infinitely replenishing ones, represented by a little "+" number next to them in your inventory. These will restock each time you pray at a statue and they'll always get used up first, not sure what the cap is but they go up to at least +5 for each bomb type

goferchan fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 20, 2022

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

goferchan posted:

Just a heads up, unless they fixed it in the patch yesterday there's an issue with Tunic's god mode in a section where you need to die to progress (or I guess you could say it's working perfectly). It's a good ways into the game, just make sure you temporarily turn it off when you go to place the 3 colored keys.

I played through with invincibility on and didn't run into this specific problem at all, so I'm thinking they patched it.

The strength of the puzzles through the endgame of Tunic only makes it that much more frustrating that there's so much terrible, overly difficult combat. This could've been the next Fez. I wish they'd have focused more on the game's strengths of exploration, discovery, and puzzle solving.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 20, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The combat is pretty good tbh

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Tunic’s combat is rear end. It’s hard to say exactly why since I like so many games that use similar mechanics. It might be because fox boy does low damage and is squishier with less stamina than most Soulslikes. I don’t know. I rang the bells and went north and got one-shot by something and was sent to a checkpoint so far back I’m not sure I’ll turn the game on again. This game would have been absolutely fine with moderately challenging early Zelda combat, absolutely did not need to ape Souls.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Ngl I'm tired of every zelda clone lately being a huge pain in the rear end. I love Dark Souls but I don't need it everywhere and when I play zelda I just want cool exploration and puzzles not major obstacles to run into.

I agreed with the first part, but I don't get the Metroid Dread comparison at all.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ultrachrist posted:

Tunic’s combat is rear end. It’s hard to say exactly why since I like so many games that use similar mechanics. It might be because fox boy does low damage and is squishier with less stamina than most Soulslikes. I don’t know. I rang the bells and went north and got one-shot by something and was sent to a checkpoint so far back I’m not sure I’ll turn the game on again. This game would have been absolutely fine with moderately challenging early Zelda combat, absolutely did not need to ape Souls.

I'm still uncertain on Tunic but there's something about the basic movement mechanics that feels loose or sluggish to me. I like difficulty, but I want tight controls like Spelunky 2 or Super Meat Boy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

veni veni veni posted:

If Metroid Dread is too hard for you, they recently updated it with an easy mode.

Not feeling Tunic either. I’d rather just replay a Zelda than play one of these mediocre clones.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Has anyone tried any phone controllers with game pass and are any of them good? I've got unlimited data and I'm ready to abuse it for cloud games

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The Kins posted:

For reference, game icons include useful info re: what system it's for and what licensing it uses.

Some features like Quick Resume and FPS Boost for old games will also appear in the top right corner while the Guide menu is open.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I just looked in the New Games menu and picked the version I was after.

Oh I know, I couldn't even find a GTA with that icon....until I looked up GTA Online. Somehow that's the version I had to buy/download. So weird.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

RBX posted:

Oh I know, I couldn't even find a GTA with that icon....until I looked up GTA Online. Somehow that's the version I had to buy/download. So weird.

I think you needed to search for 'grand' rather than 'gta'

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I typed the whole name. The old version kept popping up.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I just bought my first Xbox game. That game was Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and it was $5.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

Has anyone tried any phone controllers with game pass and are any of them good? I've got unlimited data and I'm ready to abuse it for cloud games

I'm using the razor kishi. Just get the standard Android one, the Xbox version charges for the correct color buttons and that's it.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I plug in an Xbox controller and have a bracket that snaps the phone onto the controller, it has worked pretty well when needed.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

Xbox controller with a phone clamp thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thunder Bear posted:

I just bought my first Xbox game. That game was Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and it was $5.

Excellent choice!

American McGay posted:

Ya this

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm using the razor kishi. Just get the standard Android one, the Xbox version charges for the correct color buttons and that's it.

lol

MikeRabsitch posted:

I plug in an Xbox controller and have a bracket that snaps the phone onto the controller, it has worked pretty well when needed.

American McGay posted:

This would save me from phone case on/off hassle (also the iphone version of everything is more expensive and clamps are cheap)

Thanks!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

lol

This would save me from phone case on/off hassle (also the iphone version of everything is more expensive and clamps are cheap)

Thanks!

Oh yeah, didn't see you're using iPhone. If you want something similar toa kishi you'd have to go backbone which is really expensive. I like how small the kishi is, it fits in my dress pocket lol great for walks.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I should've mentioned iPhone, but I'm pretty sure Kishi DOES have an iphone version, it's just twenty-thirty dollars more because of course it is

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I should've mentioned iPhone, but I'm pretty sure Kishi DOES have an iphone version, it's just twenty-thirty dollars more because of course it is

Yeah i would recommend the backbone over the kishi if it had an Android version but it's iPhone only, and yeah it's "premium."

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I got the iOS Kishi for like 35-40 dollars off Amazon Warehouse a few months ago.

It's fine. Fits in my bag and doesn't take up much space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zerot posted:

I got the iOS Kishi for like 35-40 dollars off Amazon Warehouse a few months ago.

It's fine. Fits in my bag and doesn't take up much space.

Same actually. I think it was like $45.